Official AADSAS Q&A Thread 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I plan on volunteering a set number of hours every week until the end of the summer but plan on submitting my application as soon as I can, should I put the end date as when I will submit my application and only record hours I have completed or should I put the end date as the end of summer and record the number of hours I will expect to have by then?

I don't want dental schools to think I am trying to put hours that I haven't earned but also don't want to miss out on putting hours that I will earn.

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the answer @artist2022! :)

Does anyone know what to generally put for Full Time/Part Time/Temporary/Per Diem? For the non obvious stuff. Like volunteering at a clinic, being a president of a club, being a member of a club, mentorship programs etc? I'm usually just torn between "Part Time" and "Temporary"...

Hello,
Is it possible to press submit for only one school on June 16th? For example, I want to be considered early with my current stats but I will update my app once I take DAT again. Or should I still submit all schools on June 16th and then update my DAT once I Take it?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people have posted about this but I'm still confused. The options are 00, 25, 33, 50, 67,75..... Can we leave it at 00 or do we have to pick one? I'm not sure what they are referring too..

Hello,
Is it possible to press submit for only one school on June 16th? For example, I want to be considered early with my current stats but I will update my app once I take DAT again. Or should I still submit all schools on June 16th and then update my DAT once I Take it?
Thanks!
What was your DAT results and when are you taking the DAT again?

If I plan on volunteering a set number of hours every week until the end of the summer but plan on submitting my application as soon as I can, should I put the end date as when I will submit my application and only record hours I have completed or should I put the end date as the end of summer and record the number of hours I will expect to have by then?

I don't want dental schools to think I am trying to put hours that I haven't earned but also don't want to miss out on putting hours that I will earn.

Thanks so much

To avoid confusion, you could put the hours you have right now and the end date as the month of submission. If you cared to update it later with the hours you earned after submission, you could do it at the academic update.

So, I was homeschooled through my junior year in high school. My last two years I got an associates at a community college, then whet from there.

During community college I gained a whole bunch of experiences, and volunteer hours. Technically, it was still high school you usually aren't supposed to put these experiences down, but, I'm thinking this may be an exception because my all my grades during this time counted towards my later biomed degree.

What do you think, should I include these experiences?

Sounds like you were in college and high school simultaneously, which they should be able to verify from the college credits part of your app. So I agree sounds like these experiences quaify since you were technicaly in college and you could include them in your app. I wouldn’t put down any experiences that were related to your high school however, such as any high school clubs, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the answer @artist2022! :)

Does anyone know what to generally put for Full Time/Part Time/Temporary/Per Diem? For the non obvious stuff. Like volunteering at a clinic, being a president of a club, being a member of a club, mentorship programs etc? I'm usually just torn between "Part Time" and "Temporary"...

From a work standpoint, 40 hrs or more a week is full time (however anything close to this number, such as 30 hours or more, you would be right to put full time) and part time is less than 30 hours a week (which could be as low as 1 hour per week). Temporary in my mind, is when you are assigned to work in a position for a designated period of time and at a certain date the experience is over and your time is complete. Example: you had a volunteer experience with kids in a summer school class that started in june and ended in aug. You could say this was part time or temporary. A part time volunteer experience could be seen as work with no set end date. Example: you worked in a soup kitchen 10 hours a week from 2017-2019. But honestly, if you put either temporary or part time, it won’t be an issue and they will know what you mean. Per diem is working for a day to take on someone’s responsibilities who may be absent, such as if you were a nurse and were relieving the responsibilities for another sick nurse out that day.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

If I am planning to take a course sometime before matriculation, but am not enrolled it in for next semester (doesn't show up as "in-progress" on my transcript), can I still list it as in-progress/planned on AADSAS? Or is this not allowed since I'm not enrolled in it for the fall semester? Thanks!
Yes, list it as “in progress/planned,” so they know you’ll be taking it in the future.

I realized I wanted to pursue a career in dentistry my junior year of college. Originally, I wanted to become a speech-language pathologist. Since I studied abroad the spring of my junior year, I did not begin my pre-dent journey until my senior year. While taking 17 credits including (Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Physics I and II), I went to dental assistant school at night. I was wondering where I should put this on my application???? Between having a tough course load, shadowing, and going to night school, I think it is worthy of putting on my application to show I could handle a demanding schedule. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks!!!

I am stressing out big time regarding my LOR. I have 3 strong letters from my physics professor, dentist I work for, and a non-science professor who has known me through my 4 years of undergrad. I am having trouble with my last science letter of rec. The one science professor I had gotten close to passed away my senior year, and I feel like I am out of options. As a health studies major, I took classes like epidemiology, public health, stats, and calculus. I also have other classes that I have taken that fall under the "other science" catergory; but, do these really count towards science LORs??? I really don't know what to do and I am already feeling defeated by this application cycle, thinking im too far behind all the other applications. Thank you!

There is no "download transcript reques form" on my page??? Am I missing something? I've entered my schools and transcript info

Members don't see this ad :)
I realized I wanted to pursue a career in dentistry my junior year of college. Originally, I wanted to become a speech-language pathologist. Since I studied abroad the spring of my junior year, I did not begin my pre-dent journey until my senior year. While taking 17 credits including (Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Physics I and II), I went to dental assistant school at night. I was wondering where I should put this on my application???? Between having a tough course load, shadowing, and going to night school, I think it is worthy of putting on my application to show I could handle a demanding schedule. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks!!!

I actually wrote a sentence or two about it in my personal statement about how I was balancing full time work and school.

I am stressing out big time regarding my LOR. I have 3 strong letters from my physics professor, dentist I work for, and a non-science professor who has known me through my 4 years of undergrad. I am having trouble with my last science letter of rec. The one science professor I had gotten close to passed away my senior year, and I feel like I am out of options. As a health studies major, I took classes like epidemiology, public health, stats, and calculus. I also have other classes that I have taken that fall under the "other science" catergory; but, do these really count towards science LORs??? I really don't know what to do and I am already feeling defeated by this application cycle, thinking im too far behind all the other applications. Thank you!

It’s still very early in the cycle. Yes, write your “other science” professors and get a letter from them. These letters will likely be fine. Some schools are bigger sticklers than others about who the letters are from, but I do not think most schools would dismiss your app over something small like this, especially if the other 3 are strong.

There is no "download transcript reques form" on my page??? Am I missing something? I've entered my schools and transcript info

You can always call ADEA AADSAS. That’s what I did if I ever had technical questions. They tend to pick up pretty fast. tel:617-612-2045.

Last edited:
Its under the colleges and universities attended section and underneath each school you added, you should see "order"

Reactions: 1 users
Now,, about the transcript request form.. I just bumped into another question..
when I clicked order, they show me two options: electronic or paper.
And when I go on the paper section, they have a request form that I can download.
however, when I go on the electronic section, they don't have the request form.
Does this mean that I don't need a request form if my school participates in the credentials or other transcript processing company?
And that I don't need to request transcript online through my school's site but just through this aadas app and I'll be set?

Also, if the answer is yes, I see my school participating but has Yes for PDF and No for electronic. What does this mean...
Thank you @artist2022 and thank you everyone else

Hi! I attended the ADEA GoDental virtual fair a few weeks ago - should I list that under Academic Enrichment?

Hey! I just read your question and had a similar type of issue and thought I'd share what I know. I too am applying this cycle. So I uploaded letters from a dentist I shadowed, my academic advisor, my public health study abroad class, and my trigonometry professor. What I decided to do to see if the public health class and trig classes counted as "sciences" was email the schools directly. Honestly, most said they did. And one even counted my academic advisor as a science letter, too (I am a microbiology major, so it was written by that academic advisor). There are some that will not (UK and LECOM said they did not) but all I had to do was have two letters from either my physics, biology, or chemistry teachers mail them in... actually, UK told me they received them today! :) So, it varies from school to school. Also, some schools like Tufts, don't specify who your letters should come from and don't require all four.

Hi! When matching prerequisites, should you add all attempts at a course? For example, I took Organic Chem I twice. Would I match both attempts as a prerequisite, or only my highest grade? Should I also match all versions of a course that satisfy a prerequisite (like Biology or English)? Thanks!

For volunteering opportunities that are periodic (for example going to a certain clinic once or twice a year), would this be categorized as "temporary" or "per diem?" I'm confused between the differentiation between these two!

In terms of LORs, how does the process work if your professor is uploading to interfolio after you submit the apps?

for schools that require 3 lors from science professors (ex columbia), would 2 letters from science lectures and 1 letter from a science professor whos lab you worked in (but did not take class) be okay?

for schools that require 3 lors from science professors (ex columbia), would 2 letters from science lectures and 1 letter from a science professor whos lab you worked in (but did not take class) be okay?
Yes, that’s fine.

Sounds like you were in college and high school simultaneously, which they should be able to verify from the college credits part of your app. So I agree sounds like these experiences quaify since you were technicaly in college and you could include them in your app. I wouldn’t put down any experiences that were related to your high school however, such as any high school clubs, etc.
Thanks so much!!

Since my letters of rec won't be ready until early August, should I still try to submit as early as possible, or should I try to take extra time to look over my application? I know processing takes 4-6 weeks, but I'm unsure if submitting early would be that advantageous in my situation.

Do summer school classes count as the end of an academic year or the beginning? If I took summer classes between my sophomore year and junior year, should I count those summer classes in my junior year? Thanks!

I took an online class from UNE in approximately the Spring semester. However, term term only shows up on the transcript as "Academic Year 2019-2020". On AADSAS, how should I enter this for the term? Would this fail verification if I enter the term as Spring? There is no option to mark the term for a full academic year.

And when I go on the paper section, they have a request form that I can download.
Does this mean that I don't need a request form if my school participates in the credentials or other transcript processing company?
And that I don't need to request transcript online through my school's site but just through this aadas app and I'll be set?

Also, if the answer is yes, I see my school participating but has Yes for PDF and No for electronic. What does this mean...

I don’t know this one. You can always call ADEA AADSAS. That’s what I did if I ever had technical questions. They tend to pick up pretty fast. tel:617-612-2045.

Hi! When matching prerequisites, should you add all attempts at a course? For example, I took Organic Chem I twice. Would I match both attempts as a prerequisite, or only my highest grade? Should I also match all versions of a course that satisfy a prerequisite (like Biology or English)? Thanks!
Yes, you would enter both attempts.

Last edited:
For volunteering opportunities that are periodic (for example going to a certain clinic once or twice a year), would this be categorized as "temporary" or "per diem?" I'm confused between the differentiation between these two!
Temporary.

In terms of LORs, how does the process work if your professor is uploading to interfolio after you submit the apps?

Don’t know this one. You can always call ADEA AADSAS. That’s what I did if I ever had technical questions. They tend to pick up pretty fast. tel:617-612-2045.

Last edited:
Should I include on my transcript a non-credit course? I took an Intro to Nalonoxe Administration course and it says it was 0.450 "credit hours" but it was a non-credit course. When sending the transcript out to AADSAS, it gives me the option to send out the "credit" transcript, "non-credit transcript" or "both". Does anybody know the correct way to handle this? Thanks!
I think the rule of thumb is to input whatever it says on the transcript, so I would put “credit,” but your safest bet is to call ADEA AADSAS for the answer, since this is very case specific. That’s what I did if I ever had technical questions. They tend to pick up pretty fast. tel:617-612-2045.

Last edited:
Since my letters of rec won't be ready until early August, should I still try to submit as early as possible, or should I try to take extra time to look over my application? I know processing takes 4-6 weeks, but I'm unsure if submitting early would be that advantageous in my situation.

If your letters have not been received, schools will mark your application as incomplete and not ready for review anyway. So I see no advantage of submitting early. However maybe someone else can weigh in?

Do summer school classes count as the end of an academic year or the beginning? If I took summer classes between my sophomore year and junior year, should I count those summer classes in my junior year? Thanks!
At my school, that would be the summer of my sophmore year. But it shouldn't make a difference what you put for this I don’t think

I took an online class from UNE in approximately the Spring semester. However, term term only shows up on the transcript as "Academic Year 2019-2020". On AADSAS, how should I enter this for the term? Would this fail verification if I enter the term as Spring? There is no option to mark the term for a full academic year.
My assumption is that you could put “spring” if this is the closest approximation. They should recognize UNE online and know that it does not have defined start and end dates.

Last edited:
When matching pre-reqs for specific schools do we just choose the courses that we want to be counted? For example, I'm applying to Creighton and they said they would accept any of the biology courses that I've taken. So Would I add all of the biology courses or just Cell Biology and Genetics? I'm sorry if what I'm asking isn't very clear.

When matching pre-reqs for specific schools do we just choose the courses that we want to be counted? For example, I'm applying to Creighton and they said they would accept any of the biology courses that I've taken. So Would I add all of the biology courses or just Cell Biology and Genetics? I'm sorry if what I'm asking isn't very clear.
If you mean when submitting the prereqs in a supplemental. Like they said, you could choose any biology course to submit. I had this happen at one school, my GPA was determined to be higher by that school than on AADSAS just because I got to choose to include my best grades from certain areas and exclude some poorer grades.

On AADSAS, they ask "Did the high school you attend have many students eligible for free or reduced price lunches?" Would 56%, myself included, count as many?

Thank you to @S_Diamond_DDS for helping answer questions :) I'm on summer break so I'll try to get back to answering questions when/if I'm able to. For now though, I'll answer the ones that may have been skipped, the ones Diamond didn't have an answer for (if I'm able to answer them), and the ones I have more info for :)

Thanks so much
I wouldn't put an end date but instead leave it as "-Present". Put the hours you have at the time of application, and mention that it's ongoing and you'd stop volunteering at the end of summer. And then at any time later on (doesn't have to be during the Academic Update), you could add a new experience with the same name and have your end date and the total hours. You also don't have to necessarily add it to your app when it's done, you could instead email schools directly so that they can add it to your app, remember your name ;), and you could even ask for an update!
I know people have posted about this but I'm still confused. The options are 00, 25, 33, 50, 67,75..... Can we leave it at 00 or do we have to pick one? I'm not sure what they are referring too..
Credits, some classes can be 4.5, 1.33, etc. Majority of them will be X.00 though so follow your transcript.
Like Diamond said, I would talk about that in your PS and you could even add it on the supplementals for some schools that ask a question like "Is there anything on your application you'd like to mention that is not mentioned anywhere else?" etc.

For your first two questions, I believe yes - electronically you wouldn't need a transcript request form since AADSAS would directly be able to receive and match everything quicker than a paper copy. I think you'd have to order through your school's site and set AADSAS as the recipient though - I don't think you can order through AADSAS.
For your last question, I think it means your school doesn't participate in sending out electronic transcripts, and you'd need to request a paper copy with the transcript request/matching form.
Calling AADSAS directly to figure things out would probably be the best thing to do though!
Hi! I attended the ADEA GoDental virtual fair a few weeks ago - should I list that under Academic Enrichment?
On the contrary, I wouldn't list it - it was a public event that every pre-dental student could attend, and was more of a Q&A session with multiple schools. Not much academic enrichment going on... but to each their own.
You'd enter all attempts at a course during transcript entry, but when matching pre-reqs, I would only match the attempt (or attempts) that meets the requirement (i.e., C or above).
For your second question, I would list what fits best. If they ask for Gen Bio, match Gen Bio I & II and that's it, not A&P, upper div bios, etc. This is just to see if you've met all their pre-req requirements - they already have your transcript on hand, they don't want to read your transcript all over again basically!
Not sure what you're really asking but the process would generally be the same - instead of your letter writers uploading to AADSAS, they'd upload to Interfolio, who will collect, store, and then send them to AADSAS after you input an email address into AADSAS for each letter. I'm not sure how Interfolio works but I think this article has all the info you'd need: How to: Upload a Confidential Letter to an Online Application System | Help for Your Dossier | Help Center
Agree with Diamond, your app won't be considered complete and thus won't be reviewed until it is. I would try and see if there is any way your letters could come in sooner, but otherwise I don't see any real advantage to submitting early in your case, unfortunately.
Technically, you'd be a junior at that point since academic years go from Summer-->Spring. This is the way FAFSA and dental schools work too, so I'd put junior (it's what I put when I applied too).
I'd just match the minimums and the ones you'd want. Instead of listing every single Bio course you've taken, just include the most applicable or the best ones. Matching is just to see if you've met their pre-req requirements - they don't need your transcript listed out all over again for them cause they already have that on hand!

Where should publications go? I've seen people mention putting it under Achievements as an "Honor" as well as under Experiences with the associated research. I have 5 papers which won't fit when cited into one experience section, but calling them honors feels strange as well.

Also, for course subjects should we select the closest match for content or department name? E.g. organic chemistry here is considered CHEM 1112 rather than being its own department so I've put it under Chemistry rather than Organic Chemistry.

I haven’t set a date because I haven’t received eligibility ID back yet. More than likely September
You should seriously consider taking the extra year to study, considering this would be your 3rd time taking it and it would likely raise red flags on applications if you had to take it a fourth time! During studying, spend the extra $ to go through DAT destroyer (For chem/bio, old copy is fine), chad’s videos (for chemistry review), and barron’s AP biology. Look up strategies for RC, such as search and destroy. This will bring up your AA/TS. On a recent post, I posted my own personal strategy for RC. I also like DAT crack for PAT and RC, since it wasn’t too intense and gave me a sense for tackling the sections. I liked bootcamp as a final study tool, since the tests are extremely difficult and hit all subjects. I found that the order of importance in the eyes of schools for the different scores is AA>TS>RC>PAT>QR, so if you have limited time, focus your study in this way. No pain, no gain!

I haven’t set a date because I haven’t received eligibility ID back yet. More than likely September

You should seriously consider taking the extra year to study, considering this would be your 3rd time taking it and it would likely raise red flags on applications if you had to take it a fourth time! During studying, spend the extra $ to go through DAT destroyer (For chem/bio, old copy is fine), chad’s videos (for chemistry review), and barron’s AP biology. Look up strategies for RC, such as search and destroy. This will bring up your AA/TS. On a recent post, I posted my own personal strategy for RC. I also like DAT crack for PAT and RC, since it wasn’t too intense and gave me a sense for tackling the sections. I liked bootcamp as a final study tool, since the tests are extremely difficult and hit all subjects. I found that the order of importance in the eyes of schools for the different scores is AA>TS>RC>PAT>QR, so if you have limited time, focus your study in this way. No pain, no gain!
Adding on to this, I took my DAT after I graduated and had no additional academic obligations. That was the best thing ever as I had 3 uninterrupted months to study.

Last edited:
Adding on to this, I took my DAT after I graduated and had no additional academic obligations. That was the best thing ever as I had 3 uninterrupted months to study.
Haha reply to her so she sees it!

Hi, over the past two years I have shadowed 3 general dentists and 1 orthodontist. I am currently torn about how I would list them on my AADSAS application. I currently have two entries, one is the office I shadowed that is the most meaningful to me, and I grouped the rest of them in the other entry because I feel like I don't have so much to write in the description for some of the offices I shadowed. Is this a good idea or should I split them up? And if I do group them together, how would I fill in the contact info?

Thanks in advance!