This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also just got my score about 30 minutes ago and I passed. Good luck to those who haven't got your score yet, but I am sure you all will pass too

Members don't see this ad.

Have a question- do they update the public site of checking certification right away? Is it possible that you get an email with a pass but is not updated on the website?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my email at 4:07 PM. Passed as well! Score 581. I walked out thinking the exam was fair, maybe 20% really easy, 60% fair and from somewhere in the resources, 15% challenging and 5% completely out of the blue.

Studied religiously for ~2 months - one block of questions per day and then went through about 60% of the questions again.

This forum has been extremely helpful to me and I will just mention my own experience -

GI fellow, busy second half of third year as a resident - Cards/ICU/HemeOnc and starting out with some busy fellowship months. 8 month infant at home as well - so time was divided in all aspects of life, not just preparing for ABIM. Strong Midwest University Program. Step 1 220s, Step 2 230s, Step 3 206. Bombed my 1st and 2 years of ITE - 1st year 40%ile and 2nd year 39%ile. I got my act together early after I got my 2nd year results. Started doing MKSAP in second half of second year and continued throughout although got through only about 70% of the questions with 70% correct or so. 3rd year ITE 95%ile!

Asked around about 6 months before the end of 3rd year and most people recommended UWorld. I like what one resident said in particular - MKSAP will make you a great internist but UW will help you pass the ABIM! I whole heartedly support this. Uworld is where the money is at especially if your ITEs weren't great. Use it as a learning tool and if you can go through the 2000 questions - you will no doubt pass the exam with flying colors!

Now onto some restful sleep :) Good luck to all those waiting! Hang in there!

Just got my score. Failed. 367 while pass is 370. Should I have them regrade?

Sorry to hear that. Not making the mark by 3 points is a bitter pill to swallow. For the sake of $250, I would think it is probably worth a regrade (while at the same time acknowledging that the result is likely not going to change).

Have a question- do they update the public site of checking certification right away? Is it possible that you get an email with a pass but is not updated on the website?
I think my updated immediately but I am not sure about the others

Im so sorry. Take some time out and then get at it again. You will pass, you just need more time. Do not lose hope!

I would definitely have them rescore it and then think of any questions that you thought were questionable that you may have missed and email them an explanation of why it's not necessarily a 'fair question'...3 points is literally like 1 question...

I would definitely have them rescore it and then think of any questions that you thought were questionable that you may have missed and email them an explanation of why it's not necessarily a 'fair question'...3 points is literally like 1 question...
They don't show you the questions though, do they?

Here is the contact information for ABIM. Please, call and voice your disappointment.
American Board of Internal Medicine
(p) 1-800-441-2246
Mon - Fri 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to sound insensitive but I honestly think you should study for your own sake and knowledge and then retake it. Nobody will know that you retook but your knowledge base will be stronger as a result.

I'm sorry to hear that bro. Nobody can answer this question for you because we have no idea how likely they are to reverse the score, but it's a computerized test, with computerized scoring. I have never heard of it happen and never seen a post about it happening. If there's only a 1% chance your score changes, the expected cost is $25,000. If that's 0.1%, the expected cost is $250,000.

What are the consequences at your job or fellowship? Most of them will give you a chance to retake it and now you have nearly a whole year to study.

Passed...just got my score at 9pm EST. I appreciated this message board and it helped me get through this week. Thinking about everyone still waiting...there are still passes out there...positive thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
Passed. Got email at 8:15PM EST. Thanks everyone for support. The last four days were so painful.

Reactions: 3 users
Passed. I literally just signed up so I could bitch about not getting an email yet, and then as I got the email from SDN to confirm my account I got my passing email. I passed above mean, it must be completely random (477)

EDIT:

Also about 40 minutes ago I left a ranty angry voice mail for ABIM. I'm still furious at them for doing it this way. They should NEVER do this again. JUST WAIT AND RELEASE THEM ALL AT ONCE.

Reactions: 4 users
Passed above average - found out this morning about 645AM Pacific time.

To help out others... what I did is probably excessive but I was scared based on my ITEs:
ITE 1st year: 38th percentile
ITE 2nd year: 7th percentile (lol)
ITE 3rd year: 29th percentile
(these were based on no studying, and just wanting to finish as quickly as possible)
Residency with 96% pass rate

A friend and I started studying in April of this year in the following format:
- Figured out the top "three" topics covered based on the ABIM Blueprints (I think it ended up being more than three based on percentiles, so it was cards, pulm, ID, endo, rheum and GI) and read the associated MKSAP books cover to cover (gave about 1 week each to read them). Because I was weak in Heme-Onc and Nephro I added in those as well
- As I was reading I made flashcards for each topic and reviewed them (I used the Anki app so I could use my phone)
- At the end of the designated week of reading MKSAP, my friend and I would Facetime to go over the associated topic MKSAP questions
- Completed 100% of UW and MKSAP, with repeat of the incorrect answers (though I focused way more on UW). While I was reviewing the missed questions I tried to force myself to explain why each answer choice was wrong, rather than absentmindedly focusing on the correct answer; My average for UW and MKSAP was only slightly above the average scores (prior to repeating the wrong answers)
- Attended ACP Seattle review course (I singlehandedly got a few questions right just based on them); my friend did Awesome Review
- Intermittently used the MedStudy flashcards
- Did not read the BB (ran out of time)
- Luckily was not involved in any fellowship so I was able to put in some dedicated study time during the month leading up to the exam; took a week off work prior to the exam to fully study

Just wanted to post so people who aren't performing >70th percentile on ITEs don't think it's impossible to pass, though I probably went overboard on prep. I put in a lot of hard work and I think having my friend there to help motivate me and keep me accountable was helpful because toward the end of it I was totally over it. Never underestimate the effects of test anxiety - Cheesy but I actually bought these little "affirmation" cards that I would try to read daily and visualize myself reading the results of "pass" (sorta like athletes do with winning - super cheesy, I know!).

Anyway, hopefully that's helpful to someone out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I expected to score high and i was nervous that something went terribly wrong. Scored ~600, below where i wanted but im happy that this was not delayed for any reason.. Received email 9 30 pm ET. Abim staff told me over the phone they would have all scores completed by tmrw.

For those still waiting. The delay has nothing to do with your score but rather their incompetence.

GL to all.

Passed above average - found out this morning about 645AM Pacific time.

To help out others... what I did is probably excessive but I was scared based on my ITEs:
ITE 1st year: 38th percentile
ITE 2nd year: 7th percentile (lol)
ITE 3rd year: 29th percentile
(these were based on no studying, and just wanting to finish as quickly as possible)
Residency with 96% pass rate

Just wanted to post so people who aren't performing >70th percentile on ITEs don't think it's impossible to pass, though I probably went overboard on prep. I put in a lot of hard work and I think having my friend there to help motivate me and keep me accountable was helpful because toward the end of it I was totally over it. Never underestimate the effects of test anxiety - Cheesy but I actually bought these little "affirmation" cards that I would try to read daily and visualize myself reading the results of "pass" (sorta like athletes do with winning - super cheesy, I know!).

Anyway, hopefully that's helpful to someone out there.

Everyone who takes the ITE takes the boards right? With maybe 1-2% of people who drop out for some reason. Thus, if the boards has a fail rate of 10%, and your ITE average is in the 20s, you are still unlikely to fail assuming you have a reasonable study schedule.

I expected to score high and i was nervous that something went terribly wrong. Scored ~600, below where i wanted but im happy that this was not delayed for any reason.. Received email 9 30 pm ET. Abim staff told me over the phone they would have all scores completed by tmrw.

For those still waiting. The delay has nothing to do with your score but rather their incompetence.

GL to all.

Can I ask why you were aiming for a high score? It doesn't seem to matter for anything. Just curious -- you're obviously free to do whatever floats your boat.

I have decided to reply like this when ABIM emails me asking me for MOC fees

"Please note that due to the large student loan debt that needs to repaid, it may take some time for your MOC fees to be posted. Actually It may take several years before I can pay your MOC fees. I regret any inconvenience that this may present"

Reactions: 2 users
I wanted to post a few things I've learned by calling the ABIM.

They had approximately 10,000 Summer Certification exams to administer which is about 3000 more than their usual number of about 7000 candidates. In the first 24 hours, they posted results for about 3000 examinees. There does not seem to be a geographic or any other pattern. Why it takes so long to post the results I don't and will never understand (servers can certainly handle more volume) but it seems to be about 3k/24hours.Everyone should therefore receive it by tomorrow. Good luck to all of you.

I took the exam August 18. Received my score on Tuesday evening around 7pm. The score report was dated 10-3 which means they've been sitting on these scores for almost three weeks or so which seems unacceptable when the method of delivery is digital.

For me, my score on the UWorld qbank comparing me to my others on qbank was the most accurate in predicting my performance on the real exam. It was spot on. If I have any advice, it would be to save this bank of questions toward the last two months of your studying after you've don the the bulk of your studying with other materials (MKSAP/Medstudy, etc) to help guage your performance on the real exam.

I hope you all will express your dissatisfaction to the ABIM with the way this was handled. We pay them to test us and we have no other choice. If you passed, you'll have to continue to deal with this one single organization for MOC, so we all have to make sure that we have some choices or make them accountable to us. I, for one, never want to take this exam again.

Reactions: 2 users
Can I ask why you were aiming for a high score? It doesn't seem to matter for anything. Just curious -- you're obviously free to do whatever floats your boat.
It helps my fellowship application, its a unique issue. I know 100% that their questions are not reflective of medical practice.

The ABIM told me that to date, they have have never changed a result on rescore.

We can organize a board ( as tmrws physicians and dethrone the abim, the problem is the lack of follow through.

Everyone who takes the ITE takes the boards right? With maybe 1-2% of people who drop out for some reason. Thus, if the boards has a fail rate of 10%, and your ITE average is in the 20s, you are still unlikely to fail assuming you have a reasonable study schedule.

Based alone on my ITEs, I was scoring in the bottom 1/3 of my residency class and placed in academic remediation with constant reminders that I needed to study more (in fact, my scores were brought up in some of my 360 evals). Based on that, I had this idea I’d fail if I didn’t bust my ass.

Last edited:
It helps my fellowship application, its a unique issue. I know 100% that their questions are not reflective of medical practice.

Having talked to people that do review for multiple fellowship programs- they've all said this is totally false.

What makes you think it would help??

Having talked to people that do review for multiple fellowship programs- they've all said this is totally false.

What makes you think it would help??
The problem is how you advertise yourself. Ppl who get scores anywhere from 370 to 600 just communicate to programs that they passed abim boards. The high percentile ppl will send same email with "above 90th percentile" remark, hoping it ll persuade programs to rank them extremely High

PulmCrit I pray you get good news. I'll do a shot of your choice of liquor here in your honor when you pass. Can't imagine the agony
Thank you... Will let you know as soon as I hear.

The problem is how you advertise yourself. Ppl who get scores anywhere from 370 to 600 just communicate to programs that they passed abim boards. The high percentile ppl will send same email with "above 90th percentile" remark, hoping it ll persuade programs to rank them extremely High

If I was a fellowship program director, I'd just be happy that an incoming fellow would not have to be on a "research" rotation and not be able to help with call in the summer and that there is no chance they'll have to retake it. Assuming other standardized tests are good it also implies that they will be successful with subspecialty boards in the future as well.

Clearly it by itself shouldn't determine matching but it should be given some credit and consideration.

Found out I passed finally!! Wanted to post on here since this whole thing has definitely been an experience. I've had multiple attempts and in the past, primarily used MKSAP to study. My ITE scores from residency were <10% all three years. I did MKSAP questions all the way through while taking brief notes back in April and May. UWorld in June and July. And then a mix of both for August (wrong answers, random questions, etc). Both qbanks have their own pro's. MKSAP definitely was great for straightforward questions and facts and did a great job at helping learn the facts. UW took those and asked them in weird ways and made you think more. UW I think helped most for me.
I also took Awesome a few years back and didn't like it at all. It really was more about memorizing his books which to me wasn't very helpful. If Awesome took those books and made a qbank outta them, that'd be money.
Just want to tell people that failed, keep your head up and keep at it.

Thank you... Will let you know as soon as I hear.
I wish you all the best, and pray for you... Sorry it is taking this long..
Awful experience.. more than the exam , this result waiting is causing pTSD.

Just callled ABIM and was told that all results should be out today. We should ALL write letters to the ABIM once this is over. They should not do this next year. Still waiting...

Hey guys could use some real advice.

I failed. What Qbank would ppl here focus on MKSAP or Uworld? I did awesome review last time and thought it gave me enough high yield fundamentals, but I need to do more questions. Please help.

I failed. What Qbank would ppl here focus on MKSAP or Uworld? I did awesome review last time and thought it gave me enough high yield fundamentals, but I need to do more questions. Please help.
It doesn't really matter. Pick one and master it. If you have time (and money), get the other one.

I've given this advice previously, but the best thing you can do with Q banks is to take a pre-test in every subject area. MKSAP online allows you to do this, I assume UWorld does the same (if it doesn't, that's a good reason to choose MKSAP IMHO). I did 30 questions out of each subject area at a time. For subject areas where I scored >70% I put them on the back burner to go through later in my studying. For the ones where I scored <70%, I read the appropriate chapters in BB3 (I didn't bother with the MKSAP chapters...way too complicated) and then did the whole section of questions in that topic. If I still didn't score >70%, then I read the MKSAP chapter (only happened for renal).

Using this plan, I was easily able to get through MKSAP Qs twice, not studying all that much, and passed easily (although not prettily).

Uworld is money.. I didn't touchb mksap as I did a few and thought it was a little too easy...focus on outpatient stuff..lots on there and their easy questions..many of which I missed and still passed. This test does not reflect you as a physician or real medical practice so remember that when studying..because it's important to be able to pick up really stupid stuff you likely don't see or hear off often... buzzwords are real btw...

Good luck everyone!!

You have 10 months. Do both. It's your $200-300k/yr career on the line!

Remember that the boards are not about testing your knowledge, but about testing whether you can answer multiple choice questions around specific topics correctly.

My ITE scores were 1 std below and my ABIM was 1 std above. I didn't read board basics or anything -- just did questions and read to ensure understanding (of both right and wrong answers).

Just callled ABIM and was told that all results should be out today. We should ALL write letters to the ABIM once this is over. They should not do this next year. Still waiting...
I agree dear..

Silly question.. Does the ABIM issue an actual certificate? If so, how long does it usually take for they to mail that?

Silly question.. Does the ABIM issue an actual certificate? If so, how long does it usually take for they to mail that?

Yes, in my score report it said "your new certificate is on its way. You should receive it within six weeks."

Yes they do.

Awhile. And given that it's taken them a week to release scores electronically (3 weeks after they appear to have finalized them), I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Guys,

I need some advise. Got my results yesterday; failed by 6 points which is like...2 questions? I probably deserved it though...I underestimated this beast, and barely finished MKSAP once and no other materials used. Now I'm a first year cards fellow, but definitely going to allocate some time to actually study for it. What material do you guys recommend other than MKSAP (which I plan to do one more time)?

Thanks!

Guys,

I need some advise. Got my results yesterday; failed by 6 points which is like...2 questions? I probably deserved it though...I underestimated this beast, and barely finished MKSAP once and no other materials used. Now I'm a first year cards fellow, but definitely going to allocate some time to actually study for it. What material do you guys recommend other than MKSAP (which I plan to do one more time)?

Thanks!

UWorld was pretty good IMO. The key is to think about the questions you missed and have them recirculate.