*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I had a grade in Calc 3 in high school that I got removed and retook in college and got a better grade. The high school grade still shows up on my transcript but it does not factor into my GPA as done by the university. How do I put this in AMCAS? I don't want to not put it because it seems that I am hiding it and will cause trouble but I put it part of my 2010-2011 application and I just checked that it did factor into my amcas GPA and brought it down significantly. Again I took it in high school so even my university agreed that it should not count to my undergraduate GPA, even medical schools that interviewed me agreed. I just don't want it to affect me negatively for gaining more interviews for the next cycle. Thanks for the help!
 
So I had a grade in Calc 3 in high school that I got removed and retook in college and got a better grade. The high school grade still shows up on my transcript but it does not factor into my GPA as done by the university. How do I put this in AMCAS? I don't want to not put it because it seems that I am hiding it and will cause trouble but I put it part of my 2010-2011 application and I just checked that it did factor into my amcas GPA and brought it down significantly. Again I took it in high school so even my university agreed that it should not count to my undergraduate GPA, even medical schools that interviewed me agreed. I just don't want it to affect me negatively for gaining more interviews for the next cycle. Thanks for the help!

If you took Calc 3 at a college, you are required to report it. You also need the transcript sent to AMCAS. There is no way to prevent if from negatively affecting your GPA. It is also a BCPM course
 
If it's listed on your transcript, I'm pretty certain you have to report it regardless of whether or not it's counted in your GPA by your institution. Situations like this are discussed ad nauseum in the AMCAS instruction manual.

By the way, how can one course cause your GPA to be brought down "significantly?"

Also, there's a specific thread for AMCAS questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Weird question, but...

In the 9th grade, I took a health class at a local CC. This class appears on my transcript at the university I'm at now.

In my 1st year of university, I took a piano class at the same CC (pass/no pass). The class turned out to be well below my level, so I simply stopped going (too late to get a refund, too lazy to go to the registrar to drop it). Received no pass.

Am I required to report either of these classes, since the health class shows up on my uni transcript and the piano class... wasn't really a class? Thanks
 
Weird question, but...

In the 9th grade, I took a health class at a local CC. This class appears on my transcript at the university I'm at now.

In my 1st year of university, I took a piano class at the same CC (pass/no pass). The class turned out to be well below my level, so I simply stopped going (too late to get a refund, too lazy to go to the registrar to drop it). Received no pass.

Am I required to report either of these classes, since the health class shows up on my uni transcript and the piano class... wasn't really a class? Thanks

Yes, and the transcript needs to be sent in too, unless the other class is also on your current university's transcript. I would be prepared for the "no pass" to come up in interviews too...you seem to have a good explanation so I doubt it would hurt you, but things like that tend to be red flags.
 
Hey guys,

I want to apply for 2012, but will be taking my mcat in late August. My question is, should I work on my app as I study and turn it in by July or immediately work on it after my test date in August and submit early Sept? Based on some verification dates from last year, I think even if I submit by early Sept, my app should be verified by late Sept. This is around the time when my Mcat score will be out.
My concern is wasting precious mcat study time on the app which can be done later. Can I still send transcripts without submitting now? At least that part could be done?

Any advice would be appreciated!
 
If it's listed on your transcript, I'm pretty certain you have to report it regardless of whether or not it's counted in your GPA by your institution. Situations like this are discussed ad nauseum in the AMCAS instruction manual.

By the way, how can one course cause your GPA to be brought down "significantly?"

Also, there's a specific thread for AMCAS questions.

Well I figured I would have to report both. The GPA that the University gives me is higher. 3.56 to 3.71 for the BCPM? That is why I was wondering. It lists the course as high school but again it was waived by the university and I retook it again in college
 
1) get your college transcript(s)
2) input them into AMCAS exactly as things on them are listed, following the AMCAS rules that you should have read before starting.
3) done

Is it really that hard? AMCAS has an FAQ sheet/ instruction manual to prevent you from having to ask dumb questions. AND, worst case scenario, you eff it up. Some mechanical Turk at AMCAS will correct it anyway.
 
damn calc 3 in hs? I'm not looking forward to going all the way up to calc 2...taking them all after I apply hah
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm familiar with the guidelines suggesting breaking down irregular college attendance into years. Unfortunately, the system won't let me follow these guidelines...

I went to a community college for a few years as a K-12 student while being homeschooled (more or less, it's kind of complicated.)

When I reached the age of majority and took the GED, I continued going to the same community college.

Unfortunately when I put in "junior college" as the designated category for the school, it then will ONLY allow me to select "high school" for each class I put in from that school...

This is problematic: I transferred directly and finished my degree as a junior and senior at another school - according to their files irregular college patterns should be filed as "freshman" "sophomore" and "senior" - I have no place to file "freshman" and "sophomore" classes (particularly since the "junior" and "senior" classes I took were specifically upper level.)

So, what on earth do I do? Do I list the same school twice? Do I just deal with my transcript having only the levels of "high school", "junior", "senior" and "postbac"? Halp!

... Did I just post this at the wrong time, or does no one really know the answer to this question??

I'd start a separate thread, but it'd just get moved here. 🙁
 
If you update which letters you want to certain schools, how long does it take amcas to send them?
 
Any input?


Hey guys,

I want to apply for 2012, but will be taking my mcat in late August. My question is, should I work on my app as I study and turn it in by July or immediately work on it after my test date in August and submit early Sept? Based on some verification dates from last year, I think even if I submit by early Sept, my app should be verified by late Sept. This is around the time when my Mcat score will be out.
My concern is wasting precious mcat study time on the app which can be done later. Can I still send transcripts without submitting now? At least that part could be done?

Any advice would be appreciated!
 
If I add more schools, do I have to resubmit? I've already been verified, and I dont know if this pulls my application out of the place i'm in and redoes everything.
 
Any input?

Unless you know you're going to do well on your MCAT, have a strong GPA (>3.8ish), and some above-average ECs, I would consider waiting on applying this year at all. While it is very possible to get accepted at that point, rolling interviews and admissions make it very difficult for late applicants. Then you add on the MCAT wildcard...what happens if you mess up?

You're better off (mostly likely) taking a year to boost your ECs, retake your MCAT if necessary, and then submit your app as early as possible next year. You'll avoid a lot of anxiety over whether or not you're getting screwed by rolling admissions.
 
... Did I just post this at the wrong time, or does no one really know the answer to this question??

I'd start a separate thread, but it'd just get moved here. 🙁

I personally don't know. Contact AMCAS directly and see if they have any input...it's definitely a unique situation.

Other than that, it sounds like you have a pretty interesting story to tell--I hope you covered that in your PS. Adcoms love interesting stories.
 
So I'm familiar with the guidelines suggesting breaking down irregular college attendance into years. Unfortunately, the system won't let me follow these guidelines...

I went to a community college for a few years as a K-12 student while being homeschooled (more or less, it's kind of complicated.)

When I reached the age of majority and took the GED, I continued going to the same community college.

Unfortunately when I put in "junior college" as the designated category for the school, it then will ONLY allow me to select "high school" for each class I put in from that school...

This is problematic: I transferred directly and finished my degree as a junior and senior at another school - according to their files irregular college patterns should be filed as "freshman" "sophomore" and "senior" - I have no place to file "freshman" and "sophomore" classes (particularly since the "junior" and "senior" classes I took were specifically upper level.)

So, what on earth do I do? Do I list the same school twice? Do I just deal with my transcript having only the levels of "high school", "junior", "senior" and "postbac"? Halp!

(Plus, I want my transcript to reflect the fact that I did better in the classes I took as an adult. But really I just want it to look less cracked out.)

This honestly seems like a bug in the application, especially since in the instruction manual it says that "junior/community college courses...should usually be listed as FR or SO..." This implies that the selection should be available. (I confirmed the behavior you're seeing in the guest AMCAS account.)

If you attended the same school as a K-12 student taking college-level courses and again as a college student, I would list them twice. I don't see an issue with this. However, I don't know if that would fix the situation.

To answer your other question, yes, no one really knows the answer to this question. As was suggested above, the AMCAS help line would be your best way to get help. And as you might see, bumping this thread has the same effect as posting a new thread, while keeping with the informal guidelines for the forum.
 
Hi all,

I have taken two summer courses: Econ during High School (in 2004), and Biochemistry during a post-bacc (in 2010). I listed both courses with incorrect years in my AMCAS, putting each course in the year PRIOR rather than the year OF taking it (aka I put Econ in 2003 rather than 2004 and Biochem in 2009 rather than 2010). However, when AMCAS verified my application, they only changed the designation of biochem from 2009 to 2010, and left Econ alone.

I just called AMCAS and they said that the Econ year wouldn't be a big deal, since it is not BCPM, and was during high school. They also said that my academic change request may be denied for these reasons. Has anyone had this experience?

I'm tempted to just leave my application as is, especially since AMCAS said it's not a big deal. What do you guys think? Will this be a problem, especially when a school I (hopefully) matriculate into sees my official transcripts?

Thanks!
 
Hi guys,

I took AP Calc BC in high school, received 8 credits for it. Then I went to college and took Calc I just for kicks, so on my transcript it looks like:

ADVANCED PLACEMENT CREDIT (CEEB) 05/2006 - 05/2007
HISTUS U.S. HISTORY 4.0
AP CALCBC LOSS OF CREDIT - REPEAT 0.0
CALCBC CALCULUS II 4.0
Total 8.0


AMCAS says that if ap credit has not been granted by your university then you don't have to list it on your transcript, however credit was granted but then lost after I took Calc I at my university. How should I put this on amcas?

thanks!
 
Hi guys,

I took AP Calc BC in high school, received 8 credits for it. Then I went to college and took Calc I just for kicks, so on my transcript it looks like:

ADVANCED PLACEMENT CREDIT (CEEB) 05/2006 - 05/2007
HISTUS U.S. HISTORY 4.0
AP CALCBC LOSS OF CREDIT - REPEAT 0.0
CALCBC CALCULUS II 4.0
Total 8.0


AMCAS says that if ap credit has not been granted by your university then you don't have to list it on your transcript, however credit was granted but then lost after I took Calc I at my university. How should I put this on amcas?

thanks!

You could either list it with 0 credits or omit it. The former option seems like the safer bet.
 
Hi all,

I have taken two summer courses: Econ during High School (in 2004), and Biochemistry during a post-bacc (in 2010). I listed both courses with incorrect years in my AMCAS, putting each course in the year PRIOR rather than the year OF taking it (aka I put Econ in 2003 rather than 2004 and Biochem in 2009 rather than 2010). However, when AMCAS verified my application, they only changed the designation of biochem from 2009 to 2010, and left Econ alone.

I just called AMCAS and they said that the Econ year wouldn't be a big deal, since it is not BCPM, and was during high school. They also said that my academic change request may be denied for these reasons. Has anyone had this experience?

I'm tempted to just leave my application as is, especially since AMCAS said it's not a big deal. What do you guys think? Will this be a problem, especially when a school I (hopefully) matriculate into sees my official transcripts?

Thanks!

I'd just leave it.
 
Hi guys,

I took AP Calc BC in high school, received 8 credits for it. Then I went to college and took Calc I just for kicks, so on my transcript it looks like:

ADVANCED PLACEMENT CREDIT (CEEB) 05/2006 - 05/2007
HISTUS U.S. HISTORY 4.0
AP CALCBC LOSS OF CREDIT - REPEAT 0.0
CALCBC CALCULUS II 4.0
Total 8.0


AMCAS says that if ap credit has not been granted by your university then you don't have to list it on your transcript, however credit was granted but then lost after I took Calc I at my university. How should I put this on amcas?

thanks!

If it is listed on your transcript, put it in the AMCAS as listed. If it isn't, don't. I'm sure adcoms see this all the time, and won't hold it against you for repeating while actually IN college. Many med schools prefer that actually over AP credit.

Dang Mauberley, can barely get a word in edgewise! =P
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I accidentally chose a state school that does not take OSS applications on my AMCAS primary, which I submitted this morning.

Is there a way to reverse this? Can I simply email AMCAS to remove it?
 
Hi everyone.

I know that it takes 3-4 weeks to get verified and for your application to be sent to schools after you click submit. I submitted last Friday and did what many others do, I only applied to one school because I wanted to wait until I take my MCAT before applying to more schools (which is in 3 weeks). However, just yesterday I already received an e-mail from the one school I applied to which included a secondary.

Now I'm confused. Obviously the schools get notified that we've applied prior to seeing our application. So does that mean that it matters whether or not I apply to all the schools now, or if I wait until I get verified to do so? Even though they won't be getting the application until verification, they would at least be notified that I've applied, and so would that help/hurt my chances?

Thanks.
 
Hi everyone.

I know that it takes 3-4 weeks to get verified and for your application to be sent to schools after you click submit. I submitted last Friday and did what many others do, I only applied to one school because I wanted to wait until I take my MCAT before applying to more schools (which is in 3 weeks). However, just yesterday I already received an e-mail from the one school I applied to which included a secondary.

Now I'm confused. Obviously the schools get notified that we've applied prior to seeing our application. So does that mean that it matters whether or not I apply to all the schools now, or if I wait until I get verified to do so? Even though they won't be getting the application until verification, they would at least be notified that I've applied, and so would that help/hurt my chances?

Thanks.

Schools are notified, but most schools don't send you a secondary until you're verified. Don't worry about it. It's fine. You are using a common, recommended strategy.
 
i'm going to submit in september and immediately leave for a 14 day trip abroad. i know the september app is generally ill advised as way too late but i'm not worried at all. however, let's say amcas returns my application e.g. they disagreed with a bcpm classification. i decide not to follow up on it but quit the application. if i apply next year, am i a reapplicant? are you committed as an "applicant" AFTER amcas actually verifies or if they just attempt to verify? i have never applied before.
 
Hey, have a question about the personal statement. How should I avoid over-using the I was amazed/awed/etc. by x, y, z? It seems every other sentence I am saying something to this effect. 🙁 Thanks
 
i'm going to submit in september and immediately leave for a 14 day trip abroad. i know the september app is generally ill advised as way too late but i'm not worried at all. however, let's say amcas returns my application e.g. they disagreed with a bcpm classification. i decide not to follow up on it but quit the application. if i apply next year, am i a reapplicant? are you committed as an "applicant" AFTER amcas actually verifies or if they just attempt to verify? i have never applied before.

AMCAS will not return your application for a BCPM. They'll just change the classification themselves and send your application to the schools. https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147920/aftersub_shared_3.3.html

You are considered a reapplicant for AMCAS purposes once they verify your app. You will also have to mark that you previously applied to a school if your app is verified and is sent to that particular school, even if you never do the secondary. However, the medical school may or may not agree, and might only consider you a reapplicant if you completed a secondary.

So, in your scenario, you will be considered a reapplicant for AMCAS purposes because they will change your BCPM classification themselves, then forward your app on the schools. They don't wait for you to approve any changes that they've made.

However, if your app is actually returned (see the link above), then you will not be considered a reapplicant if you never follow through and resubmit the app.
 
Hey, have a question about the personal statement. How should I avoid over-using the I was amazed/awed/etc. by x, y, z? It seems every other sentence I am saying something to this effect. 🙁 Thanks

It's good writing technique in general to avoid being overly repetitive. Surely you can find different ways to describe something's impact on you other than that particular formula. Just sit down and brainstorm out a few different ways to say essentially the same thing. It will probably flow better too.
 
sector9 thank you so much for your giving me a detailed, super clear response. i appreciate you taking the time to do it during this busy part of the year.
 
My thanks to mauberley and HINKLO for responses to my question!

Yeah, I definitely have a weird, weird life. I think my app is going to mostly stand on the MCAT and personal statement.
 
Hey, have a question about the personal statement. How should I avoid over-using the I was amazed/awed/etc. by x, y, z? It seems every other sentence I am saying something to this effect. 🙁 Thanks

It's good writing technique in general to avoid being overly repetitive. Surely you can find different ways to describe something's impact on you other than that particular formula. Just sit down and brainstorm out a few different ways to say essentially the same thing. It will probably flow better too.

To add on to this -- consider skipping "I was amazed" and just get to the details of what amazed you.

Also use this thing called a thesaurus. 🙂
 
I'm starting grad school at a new institution this fall, but still applying this cycle. How do I indicate this on AMCAS?
 
I'm starting grad school at a new institution this fall, but still applying this cycle. How do I indicate this on AMCAS?

I would think you just enter it in the Institutions Attended section, with the start and end dates filled in appropriately.
 
I would think you just enter it in the Institutions Attended section, with the start and end dates filled in appropriately.

Would I click "no" for the question that asks if transcripts are required? Transcripts would be required, but since I don't start school until August, there would be nothing on my file until the first quarter is over.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I know AMCAS stressed over and over to put down the original grade for a repeated course but I've called my university registrar's office and even they can't tell me. On my official transcript, there's simply a "RP" in place of the original grade and a letter grade on the final attempt. How do I go about reporting this on AMCAS application? 😳
 
You know what you got the first time around, put that down for your first attempt. If AMCAS wants to replace your grade with an RP then leave that to them. Otherwise you'll simply cause an unnecessary delay in verification of your app.
 
You know what you got the first time around, put that down for your first attempt. If AMCAS wants to replace your grade with an RP then leave that to them. Otherwise you'll simply cause an unnecessary delay in verification of your app.

That's the problem. I'm a non-traditional applicant and it has been years ago since I took the classes that I repeated and I honestly could not remember the original grade. I wish I could but I would be lying if I put down some random grades I "thought" I received.
 
That's the problem. I'm a non-traditional applicant and it has been years ago since I took the classes that I repeated and I honestly could not remember the original grade. I wish I could but I would be lying if I put down some random grades I "thought" I received.

Oh, well that's a different story. If you can't recall the grade and the university hasn't kept your grade then I guess you have no choice but to submit the RP (and :xf: that AMCAS doesn't give you a hard time).
 
So, I applied to one school early decision...

I have my primary verified. I have received and completed the supplemental to said school.

Is it possible to add letters of recommendation from this point on? I was planning on submitting a couple more letters that have not been received yet. But, the letters that I had put down under the Letters Section are no longer there...is it too late since the supplemental is completed? Thank you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.