*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this but...

My AMCAS has already been submitted but I just got my MCAT scores back and am not happy... I signed up for a retake in August. My question is, I have already applied to my two state schools so far. Should I go ahead and add other schools I intend to apply to or should I wait till mid September when I get my 2nd round of MCAT scores back and then apply. Is there an advantage (or disadvantage) to me adding the schools now or not? I already indicated on my AMCAS my future test date in August.

Members don't see this ad.

Would I click "no" for the question that asks if transcripts are required? Transcripts would be required, but since I don't start school until August, there would be nothing on my file until the first quarter is over.

You edited your followup. I thought you found the answer to your question? Regardless, you would click "no" and submit an exception request (page 28 of the instruction manual) with the rationale "current/future classes."

So, I applied to one school early decision...

I have my primary verified. I have received and completed the supplemental to said school.

Is it possible to add letters of recommendation from this point on? I was planning on submitting a couple more letters that have not been received yet. But, the letters that I had put down under the Letters Section are no longer there...is it too late since the supplemental is completed? Thank you

If you don't receive an answer from someone who has experience applying early decision, call AMCAS and ask. Generally, you should be able to add letters at any time. What do you mean by "no longer there"?

Not really sure if this is the right place to post this but...

My AMCAS has already been submitted but I just got my MCAT scores back and am not happy... I signed up for a retake in August. My question is, I have already applied to my two state schools so far. Should I go ahead and add other schools I intend to apply to or should I wait till mid September when I get my 2nd round of MCAT scores back and then apply. Is there an advantage (or disadvantage) to me adding the schools now or not? I already indicated on my AMCAS my future test date in August.

It does not seem there is a disadvantage to doing so. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10745667&postcount=3 :

Theoretically, if you list a future MCAT date on the AMCAS primary application, schools will hold their consideration until the second core returns, unless the current score is competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the problem. I'm a non-traditional applicant and it has been years ago since I took the classes that I repeated and I honestly could not remember the original grade. I wish I could but I would be lying if I put down some random grades I "thought" I received.

I would definitely call AMCAS about this issue.

Not putting your original grade for a course is specifically listed on the AMCAS FAQ as an issue that would make AMCAS return your app to you, so just call to find out what they would like you to do.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147882/coursework_shared_3.3.html
Good luck:thumbup:

I just got my primary verified and everything seems fine except for one thing, I attended a community college in the summer of 2010, but on my application it still says I attended from 5/2011 to 7/2011. Should I submit an academic change request and tell them of the mistake? Would that delay my application again and I would have to wait to get reverified? Or do you think it won't be that big of a deal?

Hey Everybody,

I did a semester abroad through the Institute for the International Education of Students, and I am confused on how to enter this into my AMCAS application. My college accepted credit directly from IES, but it is not split out into courses on my official undergraduate scholarship and the grades were not factored into my GPA calculation. I'm confused as to:

-whether I should have a separate entry for this study abroad program in Colleges Attended and which institution to list as the school (IES doesn't come up in a drop down for Illinois, which is where the program is based, and I didn't take any courses outside of the IES program)
-how to split up credits/enter grades if all my official transcript will list is just a wholesale lump of course credit towards graduating

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Everybody,

I did a semester abroad through the Institute for the International Education of Students, and I am confused on how to enter this into my AMCAS application. My college accepted credit directly from IES, but it is not split out into courses on my official undergraduate scholarship and the grades were not factored into my GPA calculation. I'm confused as to:

-whether I should have a separate entry for this study abroad program in Colleges Attended and which institution to list as the school (IES doesn't come up in a drop down for Illinois, which is where the program is based, and I didn't take any courses outside of the IES program)
-how to split up credits/enter grades if all my official transcript will list is just a wholesale lump of course credit towards graduating

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Page 50 of the instruction manual provides detailed information about what to do for study abroad programs. It specifically says that documentation from IES will not be accepted, so you will need to use your university's transcript. In this event, I'd enter everything as-is on your transcript. For Institutions Attended, you should list IES as a separate institution. If it's not in the drop-down, then enter it manually.

I just got my primary verified and everything seems fine except for one thing, I attended a community college in the summer of 2010, but on my application it still says I attended from 5/2011 to 7/2011. Should I submit an academic change request and tell them of the mistake? Would that delay my application again and I would have to wait to get reverified? Or do you think it won't be that big of a deal?

I'd have it changed so that there isn't any confusion. A cursory Google search of SDN suggests that it would take a week or so for the request to get processed, but all that means is the updated app will be retransmitted to schools after processing. Obviously, in the meantime, your original verified app gets sent. Requesting an academic change does not kick you back to the verification queue.

Hey Guys,

When it comes to entering in your courses into the AMCAS, do we have to put them in the exact order as they are listed on the official transcript (i.e. within a single term having the order of the courses being the exact same as they appear on the transcript.)??

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

When it comes to entering in your courses into the AMCAS, do we have to put them in the exact order as they are listed on the official transcript (i.e. within a single term having the order of the courses being the exact same as they appear on the transcript.)??

Thanks!

They need to show up chronologically, but I know of no rule stating they have to be listed in the same order as your transcript within a particular semester. It might make it easier for the verifier though

Hey all, I had a question about how to list my two freshman writing seminars on amcas. these classes satisfied my colleges english requirement and will satisfy (most) medical schools english requirements.

one class was in the english department, so nothing for me to do but list it as is.

the other class, however, was in the philosophy department. on the amcas, should i list it as PHIL, or ENGL? "FWS" is in the course title - is that enough? Also my committee letter/packet will probably have something about how I satisfied all pre-med requirements... I have a bad feeling that listing it as ENGL would cause confusion during verification, but i do want to communicate to amcas/schools that i took two english courses (well classes equivalent to english courses) during my freshman year.... just like everyone else.

what are other people's experiences with this?

Hey all, I had a question about how to list my two freshman writing seminars on amcas. these classes satisfied my colleges english requirement and will satisfy (most) medical schools english requirements.

one class was in the english department, so nothing for me to do but list it as is.

the other class, however, was in the philosophy department. on the amcas, should i list it as PHIL, or ENGL? "FWS" is in the course title - is that enough? Also my committee letter/packet will probably have something about how I satisfied all pre-med requirements... I have a bad feeling that listing it as ENGL would cause confusion during verification, but i do want to communicate to amcas/schools that i took two english courses (well classes equivalent to english courses) during my freshman year.... just like everyone else.

what are other people's experiences with this?

Put ENGL. I classified my "Mythology" course as ENGL on AMCAS even though it was taught in the Classics Department. AMCAS left it as is, and according to the Official Verification Thread I was still verified around the same as everyone else who submitted on the same date. You're supposed to classify courses based on the content of the course, not the department name.

So I called them and a certain Ms. Erica told me to just put down "RP" rather than try put down the original grade from memory. Anyways, I hope this helps anyone in my situation.

I would definitely call AMCAS about this issue.

Not putting your original grade for a course is specifically listed on the AMCAS FAQ as an issue that would make AMCAS return your app to you, so just call to find out what they would like you to do.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147882/coursework_shared_3.3.html
Good luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a nursing/liberal arts college

I was checking my AMCAS processed grades / gpa box and I found some very weird and/or disturbing things.

I have a total of 126 course credits all together but in the boxes, it seems that they only counted 78 Total Hours and under that huge row/column box there is a box that says "Supplemental hours" and it says 48.00.. my remaining credit hours.

The problem here is that my school goes by 2 semesters per year, and I do not know what they mean by supplemental hours.

I did a full 126 , 4 year traditional Biology degree B.S., and they did recieve my official final transcript.

What does it all mean? I'm so confused. I did not take weird classes, all were behavioral sciences, biology, chemistries, solid pre-medical requirements.

I do not know why they counted 48 credit hours as supplemental.

Has your primary been verified?

Thanks for the reply,

No sir it does not look like it has been, still says "Waiting to be reviewed"

But my question is, I thought that since the GPA's calculated seem right, that maybe that part of the application is done already and they threw out 48 of my 126 credit hours.

That is what I'm worried about.

What do you think I Should do?

Thanks for the reply,

No sir it does not look like it has been, still says "Waiting to be reviewed"

But my question is, I thought that since the GPA's calculated seem right, that maybe that part of the application is done already and they threw out 48 of my 126 credit hours.

That is what I'm worried about.

What do you think I Should do?

So you're looking at the HTML version? Just ignore it and wait until you are verified. The HTML version is known to be incorrect and weird.

Hey guys,

When answering the "Paid For Post-Secondary Education" question with the percentages, do you interpret that question as asking about JUST tuition or how you paid for the ENTIRE college/grad school experience (rent/dorms, food, gas, etc.).?

I checked the AMCAS instruction manual, but it doesn't specify.

Thanks!

Would I click "no" for the question that asks if transcripts are required? Transcripts would be required, but since I don't start school until August, there would be nothing on my file until the first quarter is over.

you are right!

So you're looking at the HTML version? Just ignore it and wait until you are verified. The HTML version is known to be incorrect and weird.

Ok thank you :)

Yeah HTML version

Hey guys,

When answering the "Paid For Post-Secondary Education" question with the percentages, do you interpret that question as asking about JUST tuition or how you paid for the ENTIRE college/grad school experience (rent/dorms, food, gas, etc.).?

I checked the AMCAS instruction manual, but it doesn't specify.

Thanks!

I would go with the whole cost of attendance, i.e. tuition and living expenses.

Did anyone else have a problem similar to the below?
I created a letter of recommendation 2 or 3 weeks ago and even printed out the letter request form with a given number. I went to assign the letter to a new school (i hadn't assigned it to any school prior to this) and it was gone! I contacted my letter writer and he said he already sent it this week. Does this mean AMCAS will lose the letter? I recreated another letter request form but obviously, the number is different, so I doubt that this person's letter will get to any of the assigned schools. I'm obviously upset and can't contact them until tuesday so any suggestions are welcome.

Did anyone else have a problem similar to the below?
I created a letter of recommendation 2 or 3 weeks ago and even printed out the letter request form with a given number. I went to assign the letter to a new school (i hadn't assigned it to any school prior to this) and it was gone! I contacted my letter writer and he said he already sent it this week. Does this mean AMCAS will lose the letter? I recreated another letter request form but obviously, the number is different, so I doubt that this person's letter will get to any of the assigned schools. I'm obviously upset and can't contact them until tuesday so any suggestions are welcome.

I think what happened is you didn't save your changes after printing. Pretty sure I made the same mistake in my app, but I was able to catch it before giving the request letter to my letter writer.

The people at AMCAS are hopefully smart enough to be able to match the letter to the correct entry based on your ID number and the name of your letter writer, but check with AMCAS to be sure.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have any ideas? I want at least one more answer before i submit tomorrow hahaha.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but next week I'll be watching a researcher that works in my research lab (the head researcher is a neurologist) do a series of tests to determine whether the patient has Parkinsons or not (my lab focuses on the deep brain stimulator). I think I'll also be able to tweak around with a deep brain stimulator also. What does this count as? I don't think it'll be shadowing would it?

I agree with Minerva. Courses are classified based on their primary content. So put it as English if it was an English class

thanks. im listing it as english and calling amcas on tuesday to tell them that if they don't like it i can procure a letter from my school saying that freshman writing seminars are equivalent to english composition courses no matter what department they are in.

and if they really really disagree then they'll switch it to PHIL during verification, which isn't the end of the world, i'll deal with it from there.

I have not submitted yet and lets say I have a letter packet entry right now with 5 people.

Let's say I submit right now, and do not have my letter packet sent out yet.
To complicate things, suppose that I have another letter writer who may or may not write me a letter. Let's say this person does end up writing me a letter, and it will go into my letter packet making a total of 6 people in that entry.

However, Amcas does not let me edit an individual letter entry so that 6th person's name would not be in there.

In order to avoid this, can I delete my previous entry, and come up with a new letter packet entry including the 6th author?

I have not submitted yet and lets say I have a letter packet entry right now with 5 people.

Let's say I submit right now, and do not have my letter packet sent out yet.
To complicate things, suppose that I have another letter writer who may or may not write me a letter. Let's say this person does end up writing me a letter, and it will go into my letter packet making a total of 6 people in that entry.

However, Amcas does not let me edit an individual letter entry so that 6th person's name would not be in there.

In order to avoid this, can I delete my previous entry, and come up with a new letter packet entry including the 6th author?

Answered in the LOR thread.

Should units received through AP credit be used to designate "year in school" when entering coursework? For example, AP credit allowed me to start college with 32 units. According to the AMCAS guide, FR status should be assigned to courses and grades taken within 0-32 units. Since I was technically a sophomore when I started my first year of college, should I designate sophomore status to my first year courses? I am concerned because this would effectively make my freshman year GPA 0.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but next week I'll be watching a researcher that works in my research lab (the head researcher is a neurologist) do a series of tests to determine whether the patient has Parkinsons or not (my lab focuses on the deep brain stimulator). I think I'll also be able to tweak around with a deep brain stimulator also. What does this count as? I don't think it'll be shadowing would it?

Not really significant shadowing. Keep it under research.

Should units received through AP credit be used to designate "year in school" when entering coursework? For example, AP credit allowed me to start college with 32 units. According to the AMCAS guide, FR status should be assigned to courses and grades taken within 0-32 units. Since I was technically a sophomore when I started my first year of college, should I designate sophomore status to my first year courses? I am concerned because this would effectively make my freshman year GPA 0.

Are you completing your education in a continuous four-year block with no periods of interrupted attendance? Then, based on what's been discussed earlier in this thread, you can just assign FR, SO, JR, and SR as you normally would. AMCAS will likely not dispute it. Your AP credits still go under your freshman year.

Hey everyone,
I submitted 6/23/11 and still not verified. Anyone submit around the same time and have different luck? just trying to get a feel for the pace of the cycle. If you have any idea, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Hey everyone,
I submitted 6/23/11 and still not verified. Anyone submit around the same time and have different luck? just trying to get a feel for the pace of the cycle. If you have any idea, I'd like to know. Thanks.

This is the latest post in the verification thread. It looks like the most recent applications to be verified took place around 6/17. Relax.

Hi everyone,

I am currently taking summer physics and I submitted my AMCAS today. I marked the physics courses as current/future, which I was told to do by amcas and my advisor. However, I got an email saying my application is on hold until transcripts from both my school AND my summer university are received. I have no grades at my summer school. Can I send a blank transcript? Will this transcript not actually be required since I chose current/future?

Thanks a lot.

Hey everyone,

Here is a thread that shows when people submitted and when they were verified:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820933

It looks like 6/17 were the most recently verified.

Hey All,

I was given disciplinary action after my friend was caught with my clicker during an in-class clicker quiz. Though it was removed from my transcript, I still have to explain it to AMCAS. I would really appreciate your opinion on what I have so far:

On April 4, 2011, I allowed a fellow student to substitute for me during an in-class clicker quiz. I was on campus for my previous class when I started feeling ill. My friend met me in class, and I asked him to take my clicker so that I may go home. There is no excuse for my actions. I understand that it was truly disrespectful to the university, to academic integrity, and, most importantly, to the professor. I cannot imagine the frustration and inconvenience that I caused, but I take full responsibility for my behavior. Though I would have done things differently if given the chance, I have no regrets that this incident occurred. In fact, I am sincerely grateful that it happened. It put into perspective the amount of work that I had put forth during my four years at LSU towards my career as a future physician. This unexpected event was an ultimately beneficial experience. Experience is the best teacher, and I appreciate the lessons I have learned from this mistake.

Thanks for your help!

Hey All,

I was given disciplinary action after my friend was caught with my clicker during an in-class clicker quiz. Though it was removed from my transcript, I still have to explain it to AMCAS. I would really appreciate your opinion on what I have so far:

On April 4, 2011, I allowed a fellow student to substitute for me during an in-class clicker quiz. I was on campus for my previous class when I started feeling ill. My friend met me in class, and I asked him to take my clicker so that I may go home. There is no excuse for my actions. I understand that it was truly disrespectful to the university, to academic integrity, and, most importantly, to the professor. I cannot imagine the frustration and inconvenience that I caused, but I take full responsibility for my behavior. Though I would have done things differently if given the chance, I have no regrets that this incident occurred. In fact, I am sincerely grateful that it happened. It put into perspective the amount of work that I had put forth during my four years at LSU towards my career as a future physician. This unexpected event was an ultimately beneficial experience. Experience is the best teacher, and I appreciate the lessons I have learned from this mistake.

Thanks for your help!
I would reword the bolded part. It sounds bad and lacks remorse

I understand what you mean. Maybe I should say:

Though I regret that this incident occurred, I am sincerely grateful for it.

And remove "Though I would have done things differently if given the chance,"

I'm filling out AMCAS now and will be started an SMP in August. I haven't found a place to live yet in the new city and was wondering if I should put my permanent (parent's) house as the mailing and permanent addresses. When I find a place to live should I re-submit to AMCAS with the updated address? Is this going to further delay my application?

Thanks

I'm filling out AMCAS now and will be started an SMP in August. I haven't found a place to live yet in the new city and was wondering if I should put my permanent (parent's) house as the mailing and permanent addresses. When I find a place to live should I re-submit to AMCAS with the updated address? Is this going to further delay my application?

Thanks

Use your parents' address as your permanent and mailing address. When you move, update the mailing address. This does not cause any delays in processing.

Do med schools wait for your LoRs before they invite you to complete secondaries???

I;m wondering how to proceed with response to my app:

I took the MCAT June 16, and I'm currently waiting to get my score back.

I'm about done with my AMCAS APP, my question is, when I finish filling out my work/activities/PS/etc can I just submit my app without an MCAT score?

Im also waiting on some letters of Rec, can I submit without those and simply add them later?

Can I modify my school list later?

Thanks a lot!

I;m wondering how to proceed with response to my app:

I took the MCAT June 16, and I'm currently waiting to get my score back.

I'm about done with my AMCAS APP, my question is, when I finish filling out my work/activities/PS/etc can I just submit my app without an MCAT score?

Im also waiting on some letters of Rec, can I submit without those and simply add them later?

Can I modify my school list later?

Thanks a lot!

1) Yes, you can submit your app without an MCAT score.
2) Yes, you can submit your app and add letters of recommendation later.
3) You can add schools after submission but not remove schools.

3) You can add schools after submission but not remove schools.
Then, why people write "withdrew" for some of their applications listed in their mdapps profiles? How to withdraw, if needed? (I don't need, though.)

Then, why people write "withdrew" for some of their applications listed in their mdapps profiles? How to withdraw, if needed? (I don't need, though.)
If you get in to a school you'd rather go to, people usually withdraw their apps from their "lower-ranked" schools so that the schools don't waste more time reviewing their app. The actual process is simply notifying the school via email that you no longer wish to be considered

Currently I am in the process of being verified ( meaning I turned in my transcripts already)
However, new grades of mine have been posted recently. Can I send a new transcript in at this point to get them to put it on my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.