*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning for next year. I plan on submitting my primary June 1st to be verified. I know that all schools will send secondaries to you without your LORs (committee + supplementals). I have a question though. Will an adcom call to schedule you for an interview if they liked your secondary app but your committee letter still isn't in? I would like to get in on the earliest possible interview date, but the committee chair stated that they won't submit the letter until August/September. This sucks because if I have a fast turn around for my primary (like I plan on), then I could be getting secondaries as early as late June/early July. I could submit them 2 days later and then my secondary would just be sitting there for over a month for the committee letter :thumbdown:

Guidance please.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning for next year. I plan on submitting my primary June 1st to be verified. I know that all schools will send secondaries to you without your LORs (committee + supplementals). I have a question though. Will an adcom call to schedule you for an interview if they liked your secondary app but your committee letter still isn't in? I would like to get in on the earliest possible interview date, but the committee chair stated that they won't submit the letter until August/September. This sucks because if I have a fast turn around for my primary (like I plan on), then I could be getting secondaries as early as late June/early July. I could submit them 2 days later and then my secondary would just be sitting there for over a month for the committee letter :thumbdown:

Guidance please.

To my knowledge, there are only a small handful of schools that will review an application without letters of recommendation. The majority of schools will not review your app until it is complete, which means that all materials, including letters, are received.

Many other applicants have the same problem, so I wouldn't stress out too much about something not under your control.

Planned to take an extra course in this Fall semester, and indicated it in the AMCAS primary application as such, due to that I couldn't find a spot to register in Fall, can I take it in the Spring semester instead of Fall? Do I have to update this change at somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently I am in the process of being verified ( meaning I turned in my transcripts already)
However, new grades of mine have been posted recently. Can I send a new transcript in at this point to get them to put it on my application?
I think that it's too late for those grades now that you've submitted, but I'm not sure. This may be a question you need to call about. Will it really make a big difference in your GPA?

Planned to take an extra course in this Fall semester, and indicated it in the AMCAS primary application as such, due to that I couldn't find a spot to register in Fall, can I take it in the Spring semester instead of Fall? Do I have to update this change at somewhere?
AMCAS won't change it anymore. I don't think it's a big deal at all.

I just had a quick question, I tried to search it on SDN but couldn't find an answer.

I submitted my app back on June 30th to be verified and it hasn't been verified yet. At the time I only designated my state schools, but now that I have picked the rest of my schools, I want to add those schools to my AMCAS app.

I searched on AMCAS and it says this:

Can I add schools after I certify and submit my initial AMCAS application?

Yes. You may re-enter your certified and submitted AMCAS application at any time to add additional medical school choices or designations, as long as the deadline has not passed for the school you wish to add. You must re-certify and resubmit the application at that time, and this must be done by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) of the deadline day. Re-certifying and resubmitting your application will not cause any processing delays, but you will be asked to submit payment of $33/school.

So it kinda sounds like I can resubmit it and I won't lose my place in line. But I wanted to double check before I do submit it. What do you think?

Thanks!!

I just had a quick question, I tried to search it on SDN but couldn't find an answer.

I submitted my app back on June 30th to be verified and it hasn't been verified yet. At the time I only designated my state schools, but now that I have picked the rest of my schools, I want to add those schools to my AMCAS app.

I searched on AMCAS and it says this:

Can I add schools after I certify and submit my initial AMCAS application?

Yes. You may re-enter your certified and submitted AMCAS application at any time to add additional medical school choices or designations, as long as the deadline has not passed for the school you wish to add. You must re-certify and resubmit the application at that time, and this must be done by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) of the deadline day. Re-certifying and resubmitting your application will not cause any processing delays, but you will be asked to submit payment of $33/school.
So it kinda sounds like I can resubmit it and I won't lose my place in line. But I wanted to double check before I do submit it. What do you think?

Thanks!!
Yes, you can resubmit and you won't lose your place

Does it make any difference when transcripts were received as far as time to be verified? I thought there was one big line for verification but read some ambiguous language on the AMCAS site that suggested (maybe I read it incorrectly out of context) that verification can occur sooner if transcripts were received early on. Can someone clear this up for me?

I had my transcripts in in May and planned on submitting early to mid-June but got tied up with some other matters. Should be submitted by the weekend if all goes well. Thanks

Does it make any difference when transcripts were received as far as time to be verified? I thought there was one big line for verification but read some ambiguous language on the AMCAS site that suggested (maybe I read it incorrectly out of context) that verification can occur sooner if transcripts were received early on. Can someone clear this up for me?

I had my transcripts in in May and planned on submitting early to mid-June but got tied up with some other matters. Should be submitted by the weekend if all goes well. Thanks
No, as long as your transcripts were received sometime before you hit submit, you will join the verification queue at the back of the line. It doesn't matter if your transcripts got there 1 day before you submit or 1 month, you'll still be at the back.

You enter the back of the verification line whenever AMCAS receives the final component needed for verification. However, let's say you submit your application the same day that they receive your final transcript. Processing of the transcript will usually take a few days, so your application won't go in the line until they identify they actually have that final transcript. If you already had all your transcripts submitted and processed prior to submitting your application, then it would go in line right away. Maybe this is the situation that you read about.

Do letter of recs sent to amcas have to be in manilla envelopes? Can they be sent in regular envelopes (folded)?

On my school's transcript, it lists AP courses under Spring 2006. However, if I write Spring 2006 and put "high school" as my term, the Advanced Placement box gets greyed out. Any idea what to do? Also, what do you put for your "grade" for AP classes? Finally, do I list courses I am taking next semester and check the "current/future" box?

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad :)
On my school's transcript, it lists AP courses under Spring 2006. However, if I write Spring 2006 and put "high school" as my term, the Advanced Placement box gets greyed out. Any idea what to do? Also, what do you put for your "grade" for AP classes? Finally, do I list courses I am taking next semester and check the "current/future" box?

Thanks all

AP courses should be listed as "Freshman" if they were credited to you on enrollment. The grade is left blank if no grade mark is found on your transcript.

For current/future, yes.

AP courses should be listed as "Freshman" if they were credited to you on enrollment. The grade is left blank if no grade mark is found on your transcript.

For current/future, yes.

Thanks for the reply! Ok, my issue is that when I select 2005-2006 for the school year as per my transcript, "freshman" becomes greyed out and I can only select "high school." Selecting "high school" greys out the option for "Advanced placement." It's a vicious cycle lol.

Also, should I include credit hours for future courses?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply! Ok, my issue is that when I select 2005-2006 for the school year as per my transcript, "freshman" becomes greyed out and I can only select "high school." Selecting "high school" greys out the option for "Advanced placement." It's a vicious cycle lol.

Also, should I include credit hours for future courses?

Thanks again!

Do you have the years correct for your school in "Institutions Attended"? Make sure all of that is correct. Also bear in mind that an academic year starts in the summer. Additionally, your AP credit is entered against the college that gave you the credit and not the high school where you took the AP course/exam. Make sure you're not trying to do that.

You can include credit hours for the future courses if you want. Because you're marking it as current/future, it won't be verified and doesn't count against your GPA.

Do you have the years correct for your school in "Institutions Attended"? Make sure all of that is correct. Also bear in mind that an academic year starts in the summer. Additionally, your AP credit is entered against the college that gave you the credit and not the high school where you took the AP course/exam. Make sure you're not trying to do that.

You can include credit hours for the future courses if you want. Because you're marking it as current/future, it won't be verified and doesn't count against your GPA.

To clarify, I entered my institution in fall 2008, but all my APs are listed under Spring 2006 on the degree audit.

To clarify, I entered my institution in fall 2008, but all my APs are listed under Spring 2006 on the degree audit.

I see. I would think they should be entered in as "fall 2008," despite what your transcript says, then.

I'm on my primary application and I am a bit confused regarding the essays. The AMCAS has one essay asking "why do you want to be a doctor". Is that a PS or is it just a specific question? If so, does that mean I submit my PS when I get the secondary application.

And if there are similar questions in secondary, do I just write the same thing I did for AMCAS or do I come up with something totally different.

THANK YOU

I'm on my primary application and I am a bit confused regarding the essays. The AMCAS has one essay asking "why do you want to be a doctor". Is that a PS or is it just a specific question? If so, does that mean I submit my PS when I get the secondary application.

And if there are similar questions in secondary, do I just write the same thing I did for AMCAS or do I come up with something totally different.

THANK YOU

1) The AMCAS essay is your personal statement, which should answer the question of why you want to be a dcotor.

2) There won't be similar questions in your secondaries, though there may be questions that you will answer using material that you've included in your personal statement. You shouldn't rehash your PS in that case but try to see if you can rephrase or elaborate.

1) The AMCAS essay is your personal statement, which should answer the question of why you want to be a dcotor.

2) There won't be similar questions in your secondaries, though there may be questions that you will answer using material that you've included in your personal statement. You shouldn't rehash your PS in that case but try to see if you can rephrase or elaborate.

Thank you very much for the information!

out of curiosity what's a good turn around for secondaries? i'm averaging between 1-2 weeks, with like 1-2 nearing the three week mark...i just kind of want to get a good bearing

out of curiosity what's a good turn around for secondaries? i'm averaging between 1-2 weeks, with like 1-2 nearing the three week mark...i just kind of want to get a good bearing

1-2 weeks would be fine.

If I submit the primary application sometimes July 10-July 13, would that be considered a little late or still early? I heard it's better to not submit with the middle pile. Thanks for the help.

Do we have to send the final transcripts to each school we've applied or AMCAS, soon after we've finished up with the MS/BS/post-bacc degrees or pre-requisite course work?

If I submit the primary application sometimes July 10-July 13, would that be considered a little late or still early? I heard it's better to not submit with the middle pile. Thanks for the help.

That's fine. Honestly, there's little point in trying to play the system based on conjecture and hearsay.

Do we have to send the final transcripts to each school we've applied or AMCAS, soon after we've finished up with the MS/BS/post-bacc degrees or pre-requisite course work?

Final transcripts are required by the school where you will be matriculating, not to schools to which you have not been accepted nor to AMCAS.

That's fine. Honestly, there's little point in trying to play the system based on conjecture and hearsay.

Thanks for the help Mauberley.

I have 2 questions, if someone could help:
1. I remember there was an excel file where we enter our MCAT, GPA to determine which medical schools we should apply, maybe reach for, or long shot. Is there an updated version somewhere on the forum?
2. Some schools won't review your application if you indicate retaking the MCAT, should be indicate if we retake the MCAT? I'm afraid if we indicate retaking, schools won't review the application and we get secondary too late.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the help Mauberley.

I have 2 questions, if someone could help:
1. I remember there was an excel file where we enter our MCAT, GPA to determine which medical schools we should apply, maybe reach for, or long shot. Is there an updated version somewhere on the forum?
2. Some schools won't review your application if you indicate retaking the MCAT, should be indicate if we retake the MCAT? I'm afraid if we indicate retaking, schools won't review the application and we get secondary too late.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
1. Yes http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831618
2. You will get the secondary at most schools without your MCAT. You should mark that you're retaking the MCAT if you are. A lot of schools will look at your app once and that's it. Although UMich says they'll look at it twice (I just read that on their twitter feed so I thought I would share). Basically, it's better to be honest and just say that you're retaking.

1. Yes http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831618
2. You will get the secondary at most schools without your MCAT. You should mark that you're retaking the MCAT if you are. A lot of schools will look at your app once and that's it. Although UMich says they'll look at it twice (I just read that on their twitter feed so I thought I would share). Basically, it's better to be honest and just say that you're retaking.

Thanks sector9

I just submitted my application and then it said this...

Submitted to AMCAS - Waiting for Transcripts
repeatDOTS.gif
Applicant has certified and submitted application but AMCAS application is pending processing while AMCAS waits for transcripts.

I've already sent them my transcripts and it says they have received my transcripts so am I just freaking out for no reason?

I won't know recent MCAT score for another 11 days...its ok for me to submit secondaries if I already indicated on my primary that I took the June 16 MCAT right? My committee letter is in already in so I can be technically listed as complete.

Final transcripts are required by the school where you will be matriculating, not to schools to which you have not been accepted nor to AMCAS.
Is it recommended to keep applied schools posted with the list of courses taken or degrees finished after the Fall semester has ended?

I just submitted my application and then it said this...

Submitted to AMCAS - Waiting for Transcripts
repeatDOTS.gif
Applicant has certified and submitted application but AMCAS application is pending processing while AMCAS waits for transcripts.

I've already sent them my transcripts and it says they have received my transcripts so am I just freaking out for no reason?
Mine said that for about 20 minutes after submission. If it persists then come back and we can help you troubleshoot, or call AMCAS to ask

Is it recommended to keep applied schools posted with the list of courses taken or degrees finished after the Fall semester has ended?
If your GPA goes up, then provide such information in update letters. If you got some good grades and some bad grades, then mention the good grades in update letters and don't mention the bad grades. You could also mention that you graduated, but that's pretty routine

I thought sGPA only included Bio, Chem and Physics whereas BCPM includes the aforementioned plus Math (pun).

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there are any negative consequences to mislabeling courses on the AMCAS.

I know that the "verifyer" corrects them, but wondering if there is a negative connotation with the displayed X~

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there are any negative consequences to mislabeling courses on the AMCAS.

I know that the "verifyer" corrects them, but wondering if there is a negative connotation with the displayed X~

Not that I'm aware of. Welcome to the thread!

I already submitted my AMCAS application, so I cannot see how this question was originally worded. I have a traffic ticket that was dismissed after I completed defensive driving, so I did not include it on my application. I just want to ensure that I am not in the wrong by not disclosing this information. Does anyone have the original wording of this question?

just a quick question.i have already submitted the application. under course work, I signed up for a summer course but ended up droppping within one week of the class, which is still within the normal add and drop period in my school. but the course shows up as withdrawn on my transcript. I didn't list the course on the app cause in the instruction says not to include courses withdrawn within normal add and drop period.so just wondering should i call AMCAS and clarify?

just a quick question.i have already submitted the application. under course work, I signed up for a summer course but ended up droppping within one week of the class, which is still within the normal add and drop period in my school. but the course shows up as withdrawn on my transcript. I didn't list the course on the app cause in the instruction says not to include courses withdrawn within normal add and drop period.so just wondering should i call AMCAS and clarify?

I wouldn't worry about it.

I want to make 100% sure I'm interpreting this AAMC section of study abroad grades correctly:

• Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution. Indicate the U.S. or Canadian institution on whose transcript credits will appear.

• List study abroad course work under the foreign college at which it was attempted, exactly as it appears on the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution's transcript. Do not enter the course work twice.
  • If the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution provides letter grades (e.g., A, B, C, etc.) and credit hours convertible to semester hours for each course on their transcript or on an official letter attached to their transcript:
o Enter all required course data.
o AMCAS will include this course work in AMCAS GPAs.
Okay, so I list both my U.S. institution and the study abroad institution. I send in a transcript from my U.S. institution that includes my grades from the foreign institution. Now, when I enter the coursework on AMCAS do I list the school name as U.S. school or foreign school given that the grades appear on the U.S. transcript but were taken at the foreign school?

Thanks in advance. Everything else in my app is ready to go, just want to clarify this before hitting submit.

I want to make 100% sure I'm interpreting this AAMC section of study abroad grades correctly:

• Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution. Indicate the U.S. or Canadian institution on whose transcript credits will appear.

• List study abroad course work under the foreign college at which it was attempted, exactly as it appears on the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution's transcript. Do not enter the course work twice.
  • If the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution provides letter grades (e.g., A, B, C, etc.) and credit hours convertible to semester hours for each course on their transcript or on an official letter attached to their transcript:
o Enter all required course data.
o AMCAS will include this course work in AMCAS GPAs.
Okay, so I list both my U.S. institution and the study abroad institution. I send in a transcript from my U.S. institution that includes my grades from the foreign institution. Now, when I enter the coursework on AMCAS do I list the school name as U.S. school or foreign school given that the grades appear on the U.S. transcript but were taken at the foreign school?

Thanks in advance. Everything else in my app is ready to go, just want to clarify this before hitting submit.

Foreign school, per the second bullet point you quoted: "List study abroad course work under the foreign college at which it was attempted, exactly as it appears on the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution's transcript."

Thanks, just wanted to be sure I read that right. Last cycle I applied and withdrew a few days later and noticed that the study abroad courses listed under the foreign institution didn't get put into the grade calculations. They only had the app. for a couple of days so it may have just been a mistake but I wanted to be sure this time.

This is the LORs requirement from Jefferson:
We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible)

My LOR packet has 2 science letters from biology professor, 1 from an English professor, 1 clinical volunteer, 1 non clinical volunteer. Should I use the optional essay in the secondary to explain, along with my interests in the school, why my letters don't fit the requirement precisely?

this is probably uber neurotic of me but if i took a community college course while still in high school, am i supposed to say i started the community college that same year even if I actually didn't attend the community college full time until later. For example, I took a speech class the summer between my junior and senior year of high school but didn't actually start going to that same community college until 2 years later as a full time student. The course is entered in AMCAS in the year I took it even though I was still in high school. Currently I have it listed on AMCAS for when I started going to the community college full time (also because there was one year where i was at a different university, long story). So should I change it to include the year I took a class while still in high school or should i keep it as is?

submitted on 6/20, still in line to get verified.

have people who have submitted around that time been verified yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.