*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, when I do my activities list and put down the contact name, if the person has a MD or PhD, where do we indicate that?

For example, for John Smith, PhD, would I put Contact Last Name as Smith, PhD? Similarly, Smith, MD for Peter Smith, MD?

Thanks.
The MD is implied in the job title of "Endocrinologist" and the PhD is implied by the job title "Associate Professor of Chemistry"
 
i make passing reference to a Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital in my personal statement. i'm tight for character count - can I assume that someone on adcom knows what the VA is if i just abbreviate?
 
i make passing reference to a Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital in my personal statement. i'm tight for character count - can I assume that someone on adcom knows what the VA is if i just abbreviate?
Yes
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, when I do my activities list and put down the contact name, if the person has a MD or PhD, where do we indicate that?

For example, for John Smith, PhD, would I put Contact Last Name as Smith, PhD? Similarly, Smith, MD for Peter Smith, MD?

Thanks.

You can, but wholly unneeded. I would advise dont
 
i make passing reference to a Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital in my personal statement. i'm tight for character count - can I assume that someone on adcom knows what the VA is if i just abbreviate?
Assuming you're not in Virginia, probably.

Unless it is clear from the context, do not abbreviate. I advise all applicants to spell out the phrase at least once in statement. And I have yet to to see anyone who has told me they are tight for characters and gives me 5300+ statement, to tighten it easily, making it more clear, coherent, concise and compelling down to under 5000
 
Another question. For gap-year activities, do we describe what we will be doing in the future in that gap-year and note specifically that this is a gap-year activity? Thank you again.
If you have started the activity, then you can simply talk about projected hours in a W&A entry
 
@gonnif I just want to clarify one more time about my initial question with the coaching education program I did... Even though this was an accredited program in which I got a certificate, it does not count as post-secondary education because it was accredited through a non profit and not a formal government agency. Also it does not count because this program is not tied to a university or college and has no way of being regulated or translated by AMCAS. I did a search on here and the only similar thing I could find was from someone who did an EMT course with grades outside of a community college. What AMCAS told them was to list it as activity because it was NOT through a college or university. I am assuming this would be the same situation, correct? Also, as I said before, I cannot find it on National Clearing House. They do not exist as an Institution on there.
 
@gonnif I just want to clarify one more time about my initial question with the coaching education program I did... Even though this was an accredited program in which I got a certificate, it does not count as post-secondary education because it was accredited through a non profit and not a formal government agency. Also it does not count because this program is not tied to a university or college and has no way of being regulated or translated by AMCAS. I did a search on here and the only similar thing I could find was from someone who did an EMT course with grades outside of a community college. What AMCAS told them was to list it as activity because it was NOT through a college or university. I am assuming this would be the same situation, correct? Also, as I said before, I cannot find it on National Clearing House. They do not exist as an Institution on there.
You do not have to report this as academic in any way, shape or form!
 
Hi! I am looking at old secondary prompts, and some of them have character limits (ex 1000 characters). Does this include spaces?
Prewrite them as if it does count. When you get to that specific secondary application, you can either be good to go or you can have an extra 300 characters to work with.
 
I have a question in regards to planned/future course work for AMCAS. I added the classes I will be taking for Fall 2019 since I have already registered for them (but I marked that they were future courses) do I need to add classes all the way up to my graduation date (May 2020)? Or can I not put any classes for my future Spring 2020 semester since I am not sure what I will be taking yet?

Thank you so much for the help🙂
 
I have a question in regards to planned/future course work for AMCAS. I added the classes I will be taking for Fall 2019 since I have already registered for them (but I marked that they were future courses) do I need to add classes all the way up to my graduation date (May 2020)? Or can I not put any classes for my future Spring 2020 semester since I am not sure what I will be taking yet?

Thank you so much for the help🙂
You can put no courses or all courses or anything in between. There is no requirement
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you are filling out the contacts for the activities portion and it asks for contact title does that mean Dr., Mrs., Mr., etc. or are they asking you to list their job title?
 
When you are filling out the contacts for the activities portion and it asks for contact title does that mean Dr., Mrs., Mr., etc. or are they asking you to list their job title?
Job title. The MD would be implied by "Oncologist" PhD implied by "Assistant Professor in Chemistry" and Mr/Ms. implied by "Chief volunteer coordinator."
 
Job title. The MD would be implied by "Oncologist" PhD implied by "Assistant Professor in Chemistry" and Mr/Ms. implied by "Chief volunteer coordinator."
To add to this
MD, PhD , etc are degrees
Professor of Chemistry, Director of Radiology, etc are job titles

So a contact could be
Name: John Smith, MD
Title: Attending Physician
Place: Holy Mackerel Hospital
 
To add to this
MD, PhD , etc are degrees
Professor of Chemistry, Director of Radiology, etc are job titles

So a contact could be
Name: John Smith, MD
Title: Attending Physician
Place: Holy Mackerel Hospital

Name: Dr. John Smith
Title: Attending Physician

would this suffice because the MD/DO is implied with title?
 
I know that AMCAS notes that the courses might appear out of order and to not worry about it. When I pull up a print screen of my app, the courses are still very out of order. Is this ok? Do they somehow sort themselves out when you submit your app to AMCAS?
 
I know that AMCAS notes that the courses might appear out of order and to not worry about it. When I pull up a print screen of my app, the courses are still very out of order. Is this ok? Do they somehow sort themselves out when you submit your app to AMCAS?
AMCAS has had this particular bug for years where application interface buffer does not feed information correctly to the database when it writes to the actual record.

You will be fine
 
Okay y’all I ran into a problem.

I attended 3 colleges, two being the same community college but different campuses. The transcript from one campus contains all the courses from both campuses. AMCAS is requesting a transcript from both campuses. I sent in a question a month ago if it was okay to use a single transcript from one campus for both campuses and was told that it was okay.

Today, after submitting my application, I was met with an automatic message saying my application was placed on hold until the transcript from the other campus is received.

I just tried contacting [email protected], but I received another automatic response saying their inbox is full and cannot receive messages at this time.

Does anyone think AMCAS can fix this or will I have to send in a transcript from that other campus? If I will have to send in a transcript my application will be delayed by a month since it will take a week or two to deliver it and multiple weeks for them to process it.

I am now kicking myself because I should have just sent it in, but I didn’t want to do the 2-hr round trip for that considering the other transcript has the same info. I have a hard copy of it and it literally shows the two courses I took at the other campus.
 
Does a course count as repeated if it is done at a different university? I took Intro to Psychology as a refresher during my post bacc which was at a different university from my undergrad
 
Okay y’all I ran into a problem.

I attended 3 colleges, two being the same community college but different campuses. The transcript from one campus contains all the courses from both campuses. AMCAS is requesting a transcript from both campuses. I sent in a question a month ago if it was okay to use a single transcript from one campus for both campuses and was told that it was okay.

Today, after submitting my application, I was met with an automatic message saying my application was placed on hold until the transcript from the other campus is received.

I just tried contacting [email protected], but I received another automatic response saying their inbox is full and cannot receive messages at this time.

Does anyone think AMCAS can fix this or will I have to send in a transcript from that other campus? If I will have to send in a transcript my application will be delayed by a month since it will take a week or two to deliver it and multiple weeks for them to process it.

I am now kicking myself because I should have just sent it in, but I didn’t want to do the 2-hr round trip for that considering the other transcript has the same info. I have a hard copy of it and it literally shows the two courses I took at the other campus.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...473/aamc-2020-amcas-applicant-guide041119.pdf

You needed to have chosen this for a transcript exception:

(page 15) Multiple degree or consortium/cross registration program with no separate transcript available
° Choose this option if no separate transcript is available from the school where
coursework was attempted. Only one transcript is required for schools that
you attended more than once, as long as all coursework appears on the same
official transcript.


If you didnt you need to contact them and keep on it or get another transcript

If you indicate that a transcript is not required, you must request a transcript exception from the
Colleges portion of the Schools Attended section. You can do this online only before you submit your
application. If you need to request a transcript exception after you have submitted your application,
please contact the AAMC Services Contact Center (via 202-828-0600 or [email protected]).
 
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...473/aamc-2020-amcas-applicant-guide041119.pdf

You needed to have chosen this for a transcript exception:

(page 15) Multiple degree or consortium/cross registration program with no separate transcript available
° Choose this option if no separate transcript is available from the school where
coursework was attempted. Only one transcript is required for schools that
you attended more than once, as long as all coursework appears on the same
official transcript.


If you didnt you need to contact them and keep on it or get another transcript

If you indicate that a transcript is not required, you must request a transcript exception from the
Colleges portion of the Schools Attended section. You can do this online only before you submit your
application. If you need to request a transcript exception after you have submitted your application,
please contact the AAMC Services Contact Center (via 202-828-0600 or [email protected]).

Thanks for the info! I’ll be calling them as soon as I can this morning.
 
This one is a little weird. So I was a bowling coach since I was like 17 up until like my 2nd year of undergraduate and got a significant amount of hours (5 hours each Saturday, pretty much year round). The issue is that since then, the person that was running the youth league (it was on a volunteer basis too) died AND the bowling alley I coached at has been closed. I have no contact information and I kid you not, most of the people were pretty old that didn't use emails.

Is this one of the things I can list myself as the contact for?

(also, I have been bowling since I was 3 years old. On a hobby, do I just list 19xx to now and put whatever hours?)

Thanks in advanced!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not necessarily worried about this as I know they are overloaded and that it doesn't even really matter so far as verification timing - but does the fact that my application was on "ready for review" on 5/30 but the AMCAS website says they have moved on to the 5/31 applications indicate that anything is wrong with my application? It has not been kicked back or anything.

Edit: I am not actively worried about this, but I just want to make sure I should be not worried about it.
 
1) I took several CC classes throughout high school, when entering this information on the coursework section, is it advised I put it under the "high school" portion since I took these classes during my highschool years?

2) I graduated high school with an AA and then immeaditly went to a university. I only stayed at the University for 3 years since I had all those credits from high school. Would I list my years as freshman through junior or sophomore through senior? Technically I was treated as a freshman since it was a "first time at college" thing and I was NOT a transfer student. Thanks.
 
1) I took several CC classes throughout high school, when entering this information on the coursework section, is it advised I put it under the "high school" portion since I took these classes during my highschool years?

2) I graduated high school with an AA and then immeaditly went to a university. I only stayed at the University for 3 years since I had all those credits from high school. Would I list my years as freshman through junior or sophomore through senior? Technically I was treated as a freshman since it was a "first time at college" thing and I was NOT a transfer student. Thanks.

Consult the AMCAS guide, but I believe you will put high school, freshman, sophomore, senior.
 
Do med schools look badly upon a supporting document to your MCAT score that indicates a testing irregularity? It really did happen in my case and I won't know what my score is until next week. Thoughts/opinions especially from those who went through the same thing would be appreciated. Help!? Thanks.
 
I am not necessarily worried about this as I know they are overloaded and that it doesn't even really matter so far as verification timing - but does the fact that my application was on "ready for review" on 5/30 but the AMCAS website says they have moved on to the 5/31 applications indicate that anything is wrong with my application? It has not been kicked back or anything.

Edit: I am not actively worried about this, but I just want to make sure I should be not worried about it.
Never mind, I am now under review. I was worried about whether I should be worried and my worry was correct in that I should not have been worried.
 
I am beginning to worry about you
PREMED: Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder
Trust me when I say I am a lot more calm in person about this process than my online persona would make it seem LOL I ask questions because I don’t know what I don’t know.
 
So I received a postgraduate public service fellowship for a significant sum of money (enough to live on for a year) for my gap year. Is this an okay listing to not only state what my fellowship was (it required a detailed project proposal), but to also spell out my gap year project? (doesn't start until July 8). It is working in a homeless clinic in a family homeless shelter with 600 beds.
 
So I received a postgraduate public service fellowship for a significant sum of money (enough to live on for a year) for my gap year. Is this an okay listing to not only state what my fellowship was (it required a detailed project proposal), but to also spell out my gap year project? (doesn't start until July 8). It is working in a homeless clinic in a family homeless shelter with 600 beds.
Yes, do it as narrative for award
 
I took CC classes in high school and then went to a uni after HS graduation. As a result, I sent my CC transcript and my uni transcript. My uni transcript has all the classes I took at the CC but it's all messed up. It says I took bio 1 twice when I didn't (as verified by my CC transcript). It also says I took organic "chimistry" (that's actually how it's spelled on the transcript) while I took chem 1, but this is false. Again, everything on the actual CC transcript is okay but the CC classes on the university transcript are all messed up, my school says this will take a while to fix it. What should I do?
 
I took CC classes in high school and then went to a uni after HS graduation. As a result, I sent my CC transcript and my uni transcript. My uni transcript has all the classes I took at the CC but it's all messed up. It says I took bio 1 twice when I didn't (as verified by my CC transcript). It also says I took organic "chimistry" (that's actually how it's spelled on the transcript) while I took chem 1, but this is false. Again, everything on the actual CC transcript is okay but the CC classes on the university transcript are all messed up, my school says this will take a while to fix it. What should I do?
Do nothing special. Input the CC classes as they appear on the CC transcript, input the uni classes how they appear on the uni transcript. Should be no issues.
 
So I submitted my AMCAS and got verified within the past couple days; since then one of my publications that was under review got accepted. Is there any way to include it in my application now or has that ship sailed?

I did mention that I had a manuscript under review in my primaries but it hadn't been accepted yet.
 
So I submitted my AMCAS and got verified within the past couple days; since then one of my publications that was under review got accepted. Is there any way to include it in my application now or has that ship sailed?

I did mention that I had a manuscript under review in my primaries but it hadn't been accepted yet.
Secondaries, interviews, and maybe post interview updates.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I submitted my AMCAS and got verified within the past couple days; since then one of my publications that was under review got accepted. Is there any way to include it in my application now or has that ship sailed?

I did mention that I had a manuscript under review in my primaries but it hadn't been accepted yet.
not in primaries, tell'em in secondaries
 
Will Submitting AMCAS by the 10th of June allow me to still be verified by the 28th? (assuming all transcripts are already recieved)
 
So I submitted my AMCAS and got verified within the past couple days; since then one of my publications that was under review got accepted. Is there any way to include it in my application now or has that ship sailed?

I did mention that I had a manuscript under review in my primaries but it hadn't been accepted yet.
I included a link to my research gate profile, that way all my publications are up to date when they look at them. I guess you are unable to at this point, but anyone else reading this, it would be a good idea. I had two papers published in the last year that most schools didn't get to see last cycle.
 
So i just submitted an Academic Change Request to AMCAS. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? They classified my 25 credits of post bacc work as graduate work and therefore calculated it into my graduate GPA instead of my uGPA. I took these classes while also completing a master's so they're on the same transcript, but undergrad chem and physics classes definitely did not apply to my master's degree.......... are they pretty understanding about these change requests? am I just screwed? Without these post bacc classes my sGPA falls below a 3.0 so if they don't change it I'm afraid my apps for this cycle are just done for....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.