*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent my Research space talking about the lab itself, skills I acquired and used, and the fellowships I received.

If I wanted to list the Certificate in Scientific Computation and Data Science in an "Other" spot,
1) would I explain the coursework and what I learned from the certificate?
2) Or would I talk about the specific project I did for the certificate (which would kind of overlap with my Research space since I did the project in that lab)?
3) Or is there a better way to go about this?
4) I feel like the main skills I learned that are applicable to becoming a physician are proficiency in Quantitative Reasoning and Problem-Solving Skills.
1) No one will want to read through the exact list of classes you took. They are on the transcript. Include the required credit hours to qualify for the certificate. A one-sentence summary of what you learned is enough.
2) Refer to how it has usefulness in your research, but try not to replicate the same information in both spaces if possible.
3) Explain the general purpose of the certificate. Summarize whatever the course catalog says if you have to. This general description should be at the start.
4) Say that. Don't feel obliged to fill the space if you run out of pertinent comments.

Now put it all together in a succinct, logically-organized cohesive manner.

Members don't see this ad.

Not AMCAS specific but I don’t feel it warrants it’s own thread. I plan to graduate in December 2019. Should I consider the extra semester to be a “gap year” for the purposes of secondary prompts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if this has been answered or not yet but when lumping shadowing experiences together, is the contact information just one of the physicians you shadowed? I don't really have space to enter each shadowing experience as a separate experience.

I'm not sure if this has been answered or not yet but when lumping shadowing experiences together, is the contact information just one of the physicians you shadowed? I don't really have space to enter each shadowing experience as a separate experience.
As this may require some conversation, I'll respond to you over in the Work/Activities Tips thread: AMCAS 2020 Work/Activities Questions Thread

You'll receive an Alert that will get you directly there.

I received an email saying that my recommendation letter was received but not assigned to any school. However, on my application, the recommendation letter is said to not be received but is assigned to scho

Also AMCAS says you can add schools through the academic change request, but how can I send the transcript of my grad school without a transcript request letter?

Last edited:
I received an email saying that my recommendation letter was received but not assigned to any school. However, on my application, the recommendation letter is said to not be received but is assigned to scho

Also AMCAS says you can add schools through the academic change request, but how can I send the transcript of my grad school without a transcript request letter?
1) I do not quite understand what your letter issue; I suggest you contact AMCAS directly

2) again, you need to contact AMCAS as I do not believe you can add a school

I know this question has been asked to death and I'm pretty sure the answer is a resounding no, but I'm going to ask anyway. If you're applying to medical schools but your MCAT score is extremely low and you have a second intended MCAT date, is there any point in applying to a school (besides a throwaway school for verification purposes) before getting that second MCAT score? Will they review your application minus your MCAT score, or will they tell you that they won't consider it until they see your new score? For instance, I'm planning on taking my exam quite late (August 9th) but may even have to push it to August 30th/31st, which means my score won't be delivered till October 1st, 2019 which is the deadline at some of the schools that I've looked at for their primary application. By then the majority if not all of their interview invites will be gone. I'm wondering if it's worth even applying to some programs with my very low MCAT score in the time being or just wait until I get my second score first then apply.

Thank you

I know this question has been asked to death and I'm pretty sure the answer is a resounding no, but I'm going to ask anyway. If you're applying to medical schools but your MCAT score is extremely low and you have a second intended MCAT date, is there any point in applying to a school (besides a throwaway school for verification purposes) before getting that second MCAT score? Will they review your application minus your MCAT score, or will they tell you that they won't consider it until they see your new score? For instance, I'm planning on taking my exam quite late (August 9th) but may even have to push it to August 30th/31st, which means my score won't be delivered till October 1st, 2019 which is the deadline at some of the schools that I've looked at for their primary application. By then the majority if not all of their interview invites will be gone. I'm wondering if it's worth even applying to some programs with my very low MCAT score in the time being or just wait until I get my second score first then apply.

Thank you

It is NOT worth applying at all. If you have a low MCAT score, then your priority is to get a better one, because two low MCATs will likely mean that you may never become a doctor. So which is worse? waiting a year to apply or never becoming one.

If you submit to a school with an existing MCAT but a new one planned
1) they can review with existing MCAT, which means you could be rejected prior to even taking a new MCAT
2) they can wait for new MCAT, and only then put you in the queue for evaluation then, meaning you will be at the very bottom of a very large pile at a very late date
3) they will not somehow partially review you and wait for new MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
It is NOT worth applying at all. If you have a low MCAT score, then your priority is to get a better one, because two low MCATs will likely mean that you may never become a doctor. So which is worse? waiting a year to apply or never becoming one.

If you submit to a school with an existing MCAT but a new one planned
1) they can review with existing MCAT, which means you could be rejected prior to even taking a new MCAT
2) they can wait for new MCAT, and only then put you in the queue for evaluation then, meaning you will be at the very bottom of a very large pile at a very late date
3) they will not somehow partially review you and wait for new MCAT

Ah, I see, thank you for your thorough responses. I already waited a year as I took the MCAT last July and am retaking this August, so this is my final year, I am definitely 100% applying this year. My goal is to get into a US MD school. At this point, I'm being more realistic but am definitely not waiting another year as this has been literally the longest year of my life having to push back my application against every fiber in my being due to this low MCAT. I will make sure to do much better this time around.

For number three did you mean to say "they WILL somehow partially review you"?

Ah, I see, thank you for your thorough responses. I already waited a year as I took the MCAT last July and am retaking this August, so this is my final year, I am definitely 100% applying this year. My goal is to get into a US MD school. At this point, I'm being more realistic but am definitely not waiting another year as this has been literally the longest year of my life having to push back my application against every fiber in my being due to this low MCAT. I will make sure to do much better this time around.

You may be missing the point in that if you retake the MCAT that late (August)
you will be effectively too late to be considered along with others who were ready with their complete applications in June & July.
It would be better to retake the MCAT when you are ready, and submit a good application early NEXT year, not late THIS year.

They WILL NOT partially review you. Either they will or they wont.

You may be missing the point in that if you retake the MCAT that late (August)
you will be effectively too late to be considered along with others who were ready with their complete applications in June & July.
It would be better to retake the MCAT when you are ready, and submit a good application early NEXT year, not late THIS year.

I understand what you're saying, but at this point, I am not willing to do that. This is my situation, it turned out this way, I am accepting it for what it is. The rest of my application is rock solid and ready to go but I'm not waiting another year as I already waited this entire year. Had I started studying sooner for the MCAT, say in January, then I'd be set. However, I wasn't in the right state of mind/positive mind frame to do that. What about applying to programs who have a 497-498 in their 10th % based on MSAR? Although my MCAT was below that due to a few reasons which I am now working on. If I can apply to programs with the lowest possible MCAT for their 10th percentile then maybe they would look at my application now and wait for the new MCAT. It would all be obviously low tier programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you're saying, but at this point, I am not willing to do that. This is my situation, it turned out this way, I am accepting it for what it is. The rest of my application is rock solid and ready to go but I'm not waiting another year as I already waited this entire year. Had I started studying sooner for the MCAT, say in January, then I'd be set. However, I wasn't in the right state of mind/positive mind frame to do that. What about applying to programs who have a 497-498 in their 10th % based on MSAR? Although my MCAT was below that due to a few reasons which I am now working on. If I can apply to programs with the lowest possible MCAT for their 10th percentile then maybe they would look at my application now and wait for the new MCAT. It would all be obviously low tier programs.
Med schools want to admit people who can make wise decisions. Applying with a sub-495 score is unwise.

Med schools want to admit people who can make wise decisions. Applying with a sub-495 score is unwise.

So even if I end up scoring much better (obviously above a 500), based on that logic, the only "wise" decision at that point (besides waiting until next year to apply) if anything, would be to apply DO?

I have been approved for FAP twice, including this cycle. My immediate family has often received federal assistance (SSI, foodstamps, etc.). I personally never considered myself disadvantaged so I did not select this option. Should I?

I can not seem to find a straight answer on what ADCOMs would consider "discrepancies" in your transcripts or MCAT. This is in regard to if a school asks a question along the lines of "if there is information you would like admissions to consider when looking at your transcript of MCAT scores" Of course anything obviously bad like failing a semester, bunch of W's, F's, D's, and C's should be talked about but would this be a chance to build character and talk about what YOU believe are discrepancies?

From what I gathered, 1 or 2 C's should not impact you too negatively(unless going to top med school) and 1 or 2 C's doesn't really tell the school that you won't be successful in medical school.

Now more specifically tailored to my situation. I received a C in trig sophomore year, a C+ in ancient mythology, a B- in orgo1, and B- in "exercise testing and prescription". I wanted to address the B- in orgo by saying that I went back and took a survey to organic chemistry class which helped me get an A in both orgo2 and orgo lab(my school does lab separately). I also took genchem1 at a community college and got an A, but realized it was a joke and I learned nothing so I retook genchem 1 when I went back to my university in the fall. I also took mcat 3 time.. (492, 498 then 506) Should I explain any of this or will mentioning these things bring negative attention to these matters?

I have been approved for FAP twice, including this cycle. My immediate family has often received federal assistance (SSI, foodstamps, etc.). I personally never considered myself disadvantaged so I did not select this option. Should I?
Are some of those details shown elsewhere in your app? If you don't consider yourself disadvantaged then don't check the box. But if you do, make it very clear why you check the box and maybe write something mature and thoughtful about the impact it did or did not make. Otherwise just keep it factual based on the assistance you and your family receives, in my opinion.

I think this can be a Grey area. I checked it due to the reasons you state (they say so on amcas) but I chose not to on my reapplication because I'd rather not have any potential negative interpretation and addressed it elsewhere. For example, I checked the box but my mailing address, where I do not live, is my brothers place in a fairly nice area. So I would never know how that would be judged.

I don't know how much it plays into the schools stats or need for diversity but I just see it as another area to contribute to your overall profile and make sense of your journey. Personally, I would leave it to severe circumstances that impacted your education, need to support family through employment, and provide context to your obstacles. I had some of these but still would choose not to if I had to reapply.

I can not seem to find a straight answer on what ADCOMs would consider "discrepancies" in your transcripts or MCAT. This is in regard to if a school asks a question along the lines of "if there is information you would like admissions to consider when looking at your transcript of MCAT scores" Of course anything obviously bad like failing a semester, bunch of W's, F's, D's, and C's should be talked about but would this be a chance to build character and talk about what YOU believe are discrepancies?

From what I gathered, 1 or 2 C's should not impact you too negatively(unless going to top med school) and 1 or 2 C's doesn't really tell the school that you won't be successful in medical school.

Now more specifically tailored to my situation. I received a C in trig sophomore year, a C+ in ancient mythology, a B- in orgo1, and B- in "exercise testing and prescription". I wanted to address the B- in orgo by saying that I went back and took a survey to organic chemistry class which helped me get an A in both orgo2 and orgo lab(my school does lab separately). I also took genchem1 at a community college and got an A, but realized it was a joke and I learned nothing so I retook genchem 1 when I went back to my university in the fall. I also took mcat 3 time.. (492, 498 then 506) Should I explain any of this or will mentioning these things bring negative attention to these matters?
Do not, repeat, do not mention any of it

Are some of those details shown elsewhere in your app? If you don't consider yourself disadvantaged then don't check the box. But if you do, make it very clear why you check the box and maybe write something mature and thoughtful about the impact it did or did not make. Otherwise just keep it factual based on the assistance you and your family receives, in my opinion.

I think this can be a Grey area. I checked it due to the reasons you state (they say so on amcas) but I chose not to on my reapplication because I'd rather not have any potential negative interpretation and addressed it elsewhere. For example, I checked the box but my mailing address, where I do not live, is my brothers place in a fairly nice area. So I would never know how that would be judged.

I don't know how much it plays into the schools stats or need for diversity but I just see it as another area to contribute to your overall profile and make sense of your journey. Personally, I would leave it to severe circumstances that impacted your education, need to support family through employment, and provide context to your obstacles. I had some of these but still would choose not to if I had to reapply.
It is very common for growing up in any circumstance to consider it perfectly normal and not disadvantage. Introspection in this area can be difficult and you may not see the perspective. I will suggest that if your are getting FAP, you need to examine your status

It is very common for growing up in any circumstance to consider it perfectly normal and not disadvantage. Introspection in this area can be difficult and you may not see the perspective. I will suggest that if your are getting FAP, you need to examine your status
That's true.. I think it is perfectly fine to check it based on the facts (and not knowing your story) but was going off what I've seen from some adcoms here and those that I have talked to in admissions.

Many seem to say it is a gray area for Me but it might not be so for others. One adcom said I was definitely disadvantaged but to a lesser degree, especially in earlier periods of my life, and eventually advised me not to check it from her experience with how some people can be turned off by it. So I just came to the conclusion that if you have to question it, maybe don't check it.

But you are also very right that it might be hard to have a calibrated perspective.

That's true.. I think it is perfectly fine to check it based on the facts (and not knowing your story) but was going off what I've seen from some adcoms here and those that I have talked to in admissions.

Many seem to say it is a gray area for Me but it might not be so for others. One adcom said I was definitely disadvantaged but to a lesser degree, especially in earlier periods of my life, and eventually advised me not to check it from her experience with how some people can be turned off by it. So I just came to the conclusion that if you have to question it, maybe don't check it.

But you are also very right that it might be hard to have a calibrated perspective.
I agree with you completely and this is why I asked. I am probably going to err on the side of caution and leave it unchecked.

I agree with you completely and this is why I asked. I am probably going to err on the side of caution and leave it unchecked.
Maybe make a post in the confidential section asking adcom here or maybe @gonnif will help you. It really depends on your context, maybe it just gets normalized but I think my educational deficits were more my own doing than environmental and opportunity based. Might need more details. For me, working with severely disadvantaged people, I would just choose not to in the future personally, even if it is a sliding scale and I did have to work and support others. But if it is not addressed anywhere, then it could also shine some light on your experiences.

Hi,
I just realized a lot of my schools require CASPer as part of their application this year. I am scheduled to take it next week, but I was wondering if taking it at the end of June will delay my application from being reviewed by schools? I'm just a little bummed because I made sure to submit my primary right on May 30th to avoid delay problems. I'm feeling a little silly I didn't sign up to take it sooner.

Letter of recommendation mishap:

I asked a professor for a LOR for medical schools (general both DO and MD). After submitting AMCAS I ran into him and asked if the letter was general to confirm and he said he specified "DO" schools in the letter. I then asked for another letter focused on MD schools and sent that in as well so AMCAS has both letters from him now. Will this hurt my chances for MD schools?

Hi,
I just realized a lot of my schools require CASPer as part of their application this year. I am scheduled to take it next week, but I was wondering if taking it at the end of June will delay my application from being reviewed by schools? I'm just a little bummed because I made sure to submit my primary right on May 30th to avoid delay problems. I'm feeling a little silly I didn't sign up to take it sooner.
There aren’t that many CASPer dates to choose from, you will be fine.

Hi,
If you take by end of June, schools will get it by end July. Unlike the perception, most schools dont get into full review swing until at least mid August

Letter of recommendation mishap:

I asked a professor for a LOR for medical schools (general both DO and MD). After submitting AMCAS I ran into him and asked if the letter was general to confirm and he said he specified "DO" schools in the letter. I then asked for another letter focused on MD schools and sent that in as well so AMCAS has both letters from him now. Will this hurt my chances for MD schools?

Did he load both letters to the AMCAS letter id?

After my application has been submitted and verified, I assigned a letter to schools. Doing so prompted AMCAS to ask if I want to resubmit my application to save the changes. The phrase "resubmit my application" is giving me pause. Will resubmitting cause any delay in transmitting my application?

1) I completed a double major (both BA's), on AMCAS I see there is a spot to list degrees and majors. Right now I have both majors listed and 2 bachelors of arts listed, but I'm unsure if I would only list one BA since it was a "double major" and not a "dual degree" (BA/BS). I did this because declaring a major doesn't necessarily mean you completed it.

1) I completed a double major (both BA's), on AMCAS I see there is a spot to list degrees and majors. Right now I have both majors listed and 2 bachelors of arts listed, but I'm unsure if I would only list one BA since it was a "double major" and not a "dual degree" (BA/BS). I did this because declaring a major doesn't necessarily mean you completed it.
Do you have TWO diplomas with TWO separate degrees?
OR
Do you have ONE diploma with Double Major?

Do you have TWO diplomas with TWO separate degrees?
OR
Do you have ONE diploma with Double Major?
Unfortunately I had to take a summer class so I don't get my diploma until August, so I suppose I need to call my advising office and ask that

Unfortunately I had to take a summer class so I don't get my diploma until August, so I suppose I need to call my advising office and ask that
You are getting ONE diploma, I am sure, with a double major. I certainly hope you have not submitted AMCAS stating this college twice with 2 degree

After my application has been submitted and verified, I assigned a letter to schools. Doing so prompted AMCAS to ask if I want to resubmit my application to save the changes. The phrase "resubmit my application" is giving me pause. Will resubmitting cause any delay in transmitting my application?

You need them under two IDs as if one ID both letters would appear
im not sure what you mean, i just submitted them as separate letters with the correct one beginning with the title "UPDATED"

im not sure what you mean, i just submitted them as separate letters with the correct one beginning with the title "UPDATED"
There are AMCAS LETTER IDs
Did you have the writer submit these under ONE SINGLE ORIGINAL LETTER ID?
Or did you create a SECOND NEW LETTER ID?

Dumb question: I was verified 6/14. I submitted to one state school because I took my MCAT on 5/18 and received my scores on 6/18. Now that I have my new score, I submitted my app to the rest of my schools. Do I need to be re-verified now? Nothing else has changed on my application.

Dumb question: I was verified 6/14. I submitted to one state school because I took my MCAT on 5/18 and received my scores on 6/18. Now that I have my new score, I submitted my app to the rest of my schools. Do I need to be re-verified now? Nothing else has changed on my application.

No, once you are verified, it is verified for the cycle. add schools and resubmit

Reactions: 1 user
There are AMCAS LETTER IDs
Did you have the writer submit these under ONE SINGLE ORIGINAL LETTER ID?
Or did you create a SECOND NEW LETTER ID?
I submitted them from interfolio, on interfolio you add the letter ID yourself manually so they are under two separate letter IDs

In my personal statement, I abbreviated one my patients as going into "V-tach" as we commonly refer to it on the unit. Is this okay? Or do I have to spell out Ventricular Tachycardia?

In my personal statement, I abbreviated one my patients as going into "V-tach" as we commonly refer to it on the unit. Is this okay? Or do I have to spell out Ventricular Tachycardia?

Neither. Do not assume a physician or a someone with goo technical medical knowledge will be reading it. Therefore do not use v-tach or ventricular tachycardia. Be more generic and simple. Cardiac arthymia is about as detailed as you can go

Neither. Do not assume a physician or a someone with goo technical medical knowledge will be reading it. Therefore do not use v-tach or ventricular tachycardia. Be more generic and simple. Cardiac arthymia is about as detailed as you can go
Thank you! Will change to cardiac arrythmia.

Would employment at an optical center within an eye care center (w/ MD's and OD's) be considered medical/clinical paid employment on your application. I adjusted glasses and inputted medical records and had some contact w/ the doctors consistently to confirm prescriptions, but I'm not sure if that's enough to be considered medical/clinical. If it were just an optical center, I'd say no, but it was within an eye care center.

Would employment at an optical center within an eye care center (w/ MD's and OD's) be considered medical/clinical paid employment on your application. I adjusted glasses and inputted medical records and had some contact w/ the doctors consistently to confirm prescriptions, but I'm not sure if that's enough to be considered medical/clinical. If it were just an optical center, I'd say no, but it was within an eye care center.
No not clinical

Hi everyone,
I haven't seen my exact situation acknowledged on this thread, if it was, sorry.

So I was awarded AP credit for Calc I, General Chemistry I and II with lab, Principles of Biology I and II with lab, and General Physics I and II with lab. I " retook" all of these classes at my home institution.

My school both lists a lump sum of Transfer AP credits ( 28 total) at the start of my transcript, as well as indicating it under each " repeated " class.

I understand that for chem and bio, I would list the AP credit, and the " repeated" class under freshman year, because that's when the "repeat" class was taken. For example, I took AP chem in HS, and took gen chem I with lab fall of FR year, and gen chem II with lab spring of FR year. The classes are listed as
Gen Chem II Credits: limit exceeded, exclude credit, 0.00 Grade: A-.
I'll just enter that as the class with a grade and 3 " repeat" credits, and then the AP credits as credits but with no grade. I know that.

I took a " Calc for the life sciences " class that was a valid math class, but my uni only counts AP Calc AB credit for Calculus I, so my school just awarded those credits as " blank" ap credits.

My issue is physics. My school gave me AP credit for Physics, but I took the actual physics class my senior year. Again, this isn't an issue for Calc, bio, or chem, but for senior year physics, it gets messy.

What I want to do is enter the credits and the "repeated" class grade for physics under senior year, because my transcript kind of implies that's where my credit was awarded, and my grade for the course needs to go under senior year anyway. It's only one class, and I know that AMCAS will just change it for me if it doesn't like it, but I just want to double check.I did really well in physics and it really boosted my senior year GPA , so I'm pretty adamant about including it there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.