This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't get a reply so just bumping it up.. just want to know if I should add more programs (especially safer)...thanks!

Switched from surg to medicine.

US MD low tier Northeast
Step 1- 247
Step 2- 248
Class rank: 2nd quartile
3rd year grades: H: Surg, FP HP: IM, Peds, Ob/gyn, Psych P: neuro
4th year grades: H: surgery subI at home institution and away HP: sub I IM :(
AOA: No
Research: 1 Pub (1st author), 2 oral presentation, 2 poster presentation
EC: average-to-good volunteer etc.
LOR: decent-good. 2 from IM, 1 from surgery

Reach: BIDMC, Mt. Sinai, Cornell, Columbia, Yale
Target: BU, Pitt, Tufts, Brown, Dartmouth, Georgetown, JHU Bayview, Montefiore, NYU, Temple, Jefferson, Maryland
Safer: UMass, Rutgers, NSLIJ

Looks fine to me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
This is my first time using SDN ( I don't know how I made it 4 years w/o this resource). Will definitely pay it forward with the 2017 Match thread! I know it's kinda late to post, but I'm seeking some advice...

AMG
Med school: Top 40 NE
Step 1: High 230s
Step 2: High 240s
Class rank: not sure (prob top quartile)
Grades: H in everything except FM and IM (just didn't work out in my favor), H in sub-I
AOA: yes
GHHS: yes
Research: 4 publications (non first author), 2 oral presentations, 2 poster presentations, other ongoing research
Extracurricular: exceptionally strong, leader in many groups, teaching, tutor, lots of community service
LORs: strong

Programs Applied:
1. Boston/New England: BIDMC, Brigham & Women's, MGH, Tufts, Boston University, Brown, Yale
2. NYC: Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Montefiore
3. D.C Area: Georgetown University, GW, John's Hopkins, Hopkins Bayview, Howard, University of Maryland
4. Philly: Temple, Penn, Thomas Jefferson, UPMC
5. South: Duke, Emory, Vandy, UNC, Emory
6. Other: Northwestern, UChicago

I have no ties to the west coast, but I am not regionally limited...

The questions I have are:
1. Is my list too top-heavy? If so, what are other strong (but safe) NE programs?
2. Will my non-H in Medicine screen me out of most of the programs I applied to given my overall app?
3. Should I consider adding programs like Mayo and WashU, given their strong reputation but more leniency when it comes to screening?

Any advice is greatly appreciated (I'm looking at you gutonc ;-) ) ! Thanks guys and good luck with the interview process :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Just received my Step 1 score of 198. Interest in IM/neuro (child or adult - undecided). I have done one internship with an IM doctor who I think will give me an LOR; an elective with a community paediatrician who I believe will also give me an LOR. That's it for USCE. Overall quite an average medical student. Any hope in continuing?

Also I keep reading about people getting Honors on their clerkship evaluations - there is no such thing in my school. We just do our rotations in our various departments and have an exam that we have to pass/fail at the end. How will these help?

(Part of me is hoping for sympathy as dreams crushed etc. plus my dad won't speak to me because of this. But please give it to me straight. Honesty is appreciated!)

Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, with a Step I score of 198 as an IMG, it is going to be difficult to match into a U.S. residency program.

The recent Charting Outcomes in the Match for International Medical Graduates may be of use to look at.

The internal medicine average Step I scores for matched applicants was listed as 236. For internal medicine, here are the summary (self-reported by applicants) statistics (pg. 109):

upload_2016-9-23_14-42-6.png

I do not know how much easier or harder it is to match into a combined internal medicine/neurology program.
If you really want to match in the USA, consider seeking out an advisor who knows the ins and outs of what you can do to off-set your low Step I score.

Your chances of matching in IM with a 198 are not very high unfortunately, based on the chart that the cbrons posted. It's not to say it's impossible. There are IMGs that match with that type of score. But they might have really strong connections, or some other super unique thing on their application. And unfortunately you can't retake the test. You might consider a specialty where you're more likely to match such as Family Medicine. It may not be internal medicine but if you do match you'll be a practicing physician in the US, and that type of opportunity is life-changing no matter what specialty you pursue. All the best to you.

Hi. Just received my Step 1 score of 198. Interest in IM/neuro (child or adult - undecided). I have done one internship with an IM doctor who I think will give me an LOR; an elective with a community paediatrician who I believe will also give me an LOR. That's it for USCE. Overall quite an average medical student. Any hope in continuing?
There's no harm in trying. But you need to have a backup. Like practicing in the country where you get your medical degree, or where you're from (if those places are different, and one of them is not the US or Canada).

Other things you might be able to do to help yourself out are:
  • More USCE
  • Absolutely killing 2CK (260+)
  • Choosing a different specialty such as FM, Psych, Path

Also I keep reading about people getting Honors on their clerkship evaluations - there is no such thing in my school. We just do our rotations in our various departments and have an exam that we have to pass/fail at the end. How will these help?
They won't help at all for an IMG without significant USCE.

(Part of me is hoping for sympathy as dreams crushed etc. plus my dad won't speak to me because of this. But please give it to me straight. Honesty is appreciated!)
The most honest thing I can say here is that your dad is a total douchebag.

Reactions: 2 users
AMG
Grades: H in everything except FM and IM (just didn't work out in my favor), H in sub-I
Research: 4 publications (non first author), 2 oral presentations, 2 poster presentations, other ongoing research
Extracurricular: exceptionally strong, leader in many groups, teaching, tutor, lots of community service

Programs Applied:
1. Boston/New England: BIDMC, Brigham & Women's, MGH, Tufts, Boston University, Brown, Yale
3. D.C Area: Georgetown University, GW, John's Hopkins, Hopkins Bayview, Howard, University of Maryland

1. Is my list too top-heavy? If so, what are other strong (but safe) NE programs?
2. Will my non-H in Medicine screen me out of most of the programs I applied to given my overall app?
3. Should I consider adding programs like Mayo and WashU, given their strong reputation but more leniency when it comes to screening?

Any advice is greatly appreciated (I'm looking at you gutonc ;-) ) ! Thanks guys and good luck with the interview process :)[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts?

Hi guys a little late to the party, but would appreciate any recommendations for my situation.

Med school: Mid-low tier Midwest
Step 1: low 250's
Step 2: mid 250's
Class rank: Top Quartile
Grades: H in everything except HP in FM, Surg, OB-GYN
GHHS: no
Research: Weakest part of my app for sure. Have 1 oral presentation and 1 abstract accepted for poster presentation, but never actually presented, so couldn't list it under publications. Have had 4-5 research experiences, have honestly been just extremely unlucky with getting things published or funding falling through. Regardless one of the experiences was at a good NYC institution between M1-M2 summer.
Extracurricular: Decent enough I suppose. Officer of some clubs, volunteer, research, etc.
LORs: Can't really tell. The letter writers do write for many of those pursuing IM from my institution. One of the LORs was from NYC research experience.

Situation: S/o lives in NYC so trying my hardest to get there. They would consider moving too other big city, but is not preferred. Debating between GI, Cards, CC/Pulm.

Programs Applied:
1. NYC: Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Montefiore (moses/weiler, New Rochelle and Wakefield campus), Lennox hill, Staten Island, NSLIJ, Sinai Beth Isreal, St Lukes-roosevelt, Mainomindes, Suny Downstate.
2. NJ: Newark Beth Isreal, Rutgers in Newark, Seton Hall
3. Chicago: Cook County, Loyola, Northwestern, Rush, U of Chicago, UIC
4. LA: UCLA-Harbor, UCLA, USC, Cedar-Sinai
5. Other: tOSU, Riverside methodist, Michigan, CCF

Hi guys a little late to the party, but would appreciate any recommendations for my situation.

Med school: Mid-low tier Midwest
Step 1: low 250's
Step 2: mid 250's
Class rank: Top Quartile
Grades: H in everything except HP in FM, Surg, OB-GYN
GHHS: no
Research: Weakest part of my app for sure. Have 1 oral presentation and 1 abstract accepted for poster presentation, but never actually presented, so couldn't list it under publications. Have had 4-5 research experiences, have honestly been just extremely unlucky with getting things published or funding falling through. Regardless one of the experiences was at a good NYC institution between M1-M2 summer.
Extracurricular: Decent enough I suppose. Officer of some clubs, volunteer, research, etc.
LORs: Can't really tell. The letter writers do write for many of those pursuing IM from my institution. One of the LORs was from NYC research experience.

Situation: S/o lives in NYC so trying my hardest to get there. They would consider moving too other big city, but is not preferred. Debating between GI, Cards, CC/Pulm.

Programs Applied:
1. NYC: Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Montefiore (moses/weiler, New Rochelle and Wakefield campus), Lennox hill, Staten Island, NSLIJ, Sinai Beth Isreal, St Lukes-roosevelt, Mainomindes, Suny Downstate.

You applied to way too many not so great community programs in NYC/NJ area. You have a much better shot than I think you're giving yourself credit for. Definitely don't need monte new Rochelle, Wakefield, Sinai Beth Israel, Staten Island, maimo, Newark BI. You should also apply to Rutgers rwj which is in central NJ and not too far from nyc. Assuming you're a normal person and interview well you will almost certainly match at a mid tier university program if not upper tier. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Programs Applied:
Man...that is a weird list (and worse spelling). You're missing about a dozen programs that you are more than competitive for that are semi-commutable to the city. RWJ being one of them, all the Philly programs being another group. I hear Boston has some decent residency programs, with a few others that don't suck sprinkled throughout New England.

Not sure where those midwest programs (outside of Chicago), or the LA places came from.

Skip interviews from the fake Monte programs, SI, Lenox, MSBI (since it's not really clear how much longer that place is going to be in existence), Downstate and Maimo (that's the place you called mainomindes). Same for Newark BI and Seton Hall, Cook County, CCF and Riverside Methodist (WTF is that place?).

I can only think of 1 or 2 places you applied that are huge reaches (Columbia and NW), but the rest are more than within your reach.

Hi everyone,
This is my first time using SDN ( I don't know how I made it 4 years w/o this resource). Will definitely pay it forward with the 2017 Match thread! I know it's kinda late to post, but I'm seeking some advice...

AMG

Programs Applied:

Any advice is greatly appreciated (I'm looking at you gutonc ;-) ) ! Thanks guys and good luck with the interview process :)

Seriously......nothing guys?

Members don't see this ad :)

Good list. Would scrap Howard. Could consider adding VA programs. (UVA, VCU).

I would also add RWJMS to the list of NY area programs. NJMS you can also consider adding.

The reason i've stopped responding to these is because you've all probably already submitted your applications which were due on 9/15. Unless there are some egregious omissions then there's no point in telling you not to apply to programs you've already paid for.

Man...that is a weird list (and worse spelling). You're missing about a dozen programs that you are more than competitive for that are semi-commutable to the city. RWJ being one of them, all the Philly programs being another group. I hear Boston has some decent residency programs, with a few others that don't suck sprinkled throughout New England.

Not sure where those midwest programs (outside of Chicago), or the LA places came from.

Skip interviews from the fake Monte programs, SI, Lenox, MSBI (since it's not really clear how much longer that place is going to be in existence), Downstate and Maimo (that's the place you called mainomindes). Same for Newark BI and Seton Hall, Cook County, CCF and Riverside Methodist (WTF is that place?).

I can only think of 1 or 2 places you applied that are huge reaches (Columbia and NW), but the rest are more than within your reach.

Ya, most of the list is based on fellowship opportunities mixed with locations I would prefer to live or places where there are viable career opportunities for my S/o due to their NYC limitation. I appreciate the feedback, will definitely have to add RWJ. Unfortunately, Boston isn't really viable as it is too long of a commute. I know some of those NYC aren't known for being the best, but I had actually heard some positive things about Lenox from former resident's, is it really that bad? (I know this is likely the wrong thread to ask that question)

also sorry about the spelling, guess I was more tired than I thought.

Ya, most of the list is based on fellowship opportunities mixed with locations I would prefer to live or places where there are viable career opportunities for my S/o due to their NYC limitation. I appreciate the feedback, will definitely have to add RWJ. Unfortunately, Boston isn't really viable as it is too long of a commute. I know some of those NYC aren't known for being the best, but I had actually heard some positive things about Lenox from former resident's, is it really that bad? (I know this is likely the wrong thread to ask that question)

also sorry about the spelling, guess I was more tired than I thought.

Lenox hill isn't necessarily bad but it's a community program far below your level of competitiveness. You will also not have the fellowship opportunities that you may have at a community program like st Luke's or Jacobi, let alone a mid tier program like monte or higher tier program like Cornell or Sinai

The reason i've stopped responding to these is because you've all probably already submitted your applications which were due on 9/15. Unless there are some egregious omissions then there's no point in telling you not to apply to programs you've already paid for.

Yea, I was more asking for suggestions on (safety) programs I should ADD or if my list was good as is given my stats. As far as I know we can add more programs post 9/15. Thanks.

So quick question. Just got my step 2 ck back and got a 247. Have 241 on step 1. Is it in my best interest to immediately send this score to improve chances of getting oct 1st interviews, or should I sit on it if it might be null/worsen odds.

So quick question. Just got my step 2 ck back and got a 247. Have 241 on step 1. Is it in my best interest to immediately send this score to improve chances of getting oct 1st interviews, or should I sit on it if it might be null/worsen odds.
Do whatever. The score itself won't make much of a difference. The fact that you have a passing one might.

How exactly does a 247 hurt your chances?

How exactly does a 247 hurt your chances?

My thinking was most people score 10pts above their step 1, and the average is ~10pts above step 1, so having a score less than that difference would take away from my application compared to having no score reported yet.

My thinking was most people score 10pts above their step 1, and the average is ~10pts above step 1, so having a score less than that difference would take away from my application compared to having no score reported yet.

No

Nope.

It's a decent Step 2 score that proves your Step 1 is not a fluke. Send it.

The only conceivable reason to not report a Step 2 is..... what, exactly? You failed and will retake before programs certify? You have to remember that programs WILL SEE all your scores and you can't predict or control how that will affect your ranking. The idea that getting an interview based on your Step 1 and then playing a game with your Step 2 can somehow improve your chances is crazytown.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope.

It's a decent Step 2 score that proves your Step 1 is not a fluke. Send it.

The only conceivable reason to not report a Step 2 is..... what, exactly? You failed and will retake before programs certify? You have to remember that programs WILL SEE all your scores and you can't predict or control how that will affect your ranking. The idea that getting an interview based on your Step 1 and then playing a game with your Step 2 can somehow improve your chances is crazytown.
Thanks for the answer! Exactly what I was wondering. Sorry for the ridiculous question

I am a current MS4 in a mid-tier midwestern US med school, and I'm a little late on the IM train so I'm curious if y'all can give me a little insight.

Med school rank: mid tier
USMLE Step 1: 245
USMLE Step 2: 258
USMLE CS: not yet taken
AOA: no
Clerkships: Honored surgery, Psych. High pass in all the rest
Research: 1 first author publication, 1 pending first author publication, and working on a case report. also 2-3 poster presentations
LOR: solid, not necessarily strong

My current list of places I'm hoping to get into, but not totally sure cause I have no idea what the landscape is like for IM - I was initially planning on going into a surgical specialty (that's where most of my research is in) and at the last minute (JUNE) decided I'm out.

Vanderbilt, Duke, MGH, Case University (better than reserve right?) WashU, U of M, Northwestern, Univ San Fran, UCSD, Penn, Pitt, Mayo Rochester/Jacksonville, UCLA, Baylor College, UT southwestern

Any places I should apply to?

Basically, I'm looking for a place with good prestige and/or great training. I realize I'm late to the game, but I made my sdn account yesterday (I"m a noob I know).

I am a current MS4 in a mid-tier midwestern US med school, and I'm a little late on the IM train so I'm curious if y'all can give me a little insight.

Research: 1 first author publication, 1 pending first author publication, and working on a case report. also 2-3 poster presentations

My current list of places I'm hoping to get into, but not totally sure cause I have no idea what the landscape is like for IM - I was initially planning on going into a surgical specialty (that's where most of my research is in) and at the last minute (JUNE) decided I'm out.

Vanderbilt, Duke, MGH, Case University (better than reserve right?) WashU, U of M, Northwestern, Univ San Fran, UCSD, Penn, Pitt, Mayo Rochester/Jacksonville, UCLA, Baylor College, UT southwestern
This list is top and bottom heavy without much in the way of good mid-tier places (and Univ San Fran is not a real place).

You're geographically all over the place so I'll just throw out a few options you're missing in some of the general areas you mentioned:
Wisco, UMinn, Indy, UofC, UIC, tOSU, UNC, Wake, UMaryland, Colorado, Utah, Iowa

Basically, I'm looking for a place with good prestige and/or great training. I realize I'm late to the game, but I made my sdn account yesterday (I"m a noob I know).
I suppose I should have read this part before replying.

SMH

This list is top and bottom heavy without much in the way of good mid-tier places (and Univ San Fran is not a real place).

You're geographically all over the place so I'll just throw out a few options you're missing in some of the general areas you mentioned:
Wisco, UMinn, Indy, UofC, UIC, tOSU, UNC, Wake, UMaryland, Colorado, Utah, Iowa

I suppose I should have read this part before replying.

SMH

Soo any comment as to what my chances are?

I'm aware that I'm all over the place, that's mainly because I don't mind moving / where I live is not that big of a deal for me.

What are the "bottom" tier programs on my list?

Soo any comment as to what my chances are?

I'm aware that I'm all over the place, that's mainly because I don't mind moving / where I live is not that big of a deal for me.

What are the "bottom" tier programs on my list?

Your list is indeed all over the place for two reasons: you're grossly overestimating your competitiveness and you're basically using whether or not you're grandma's friends would recognize the hospital when she brags to them about where you are. Your stats are not MGH, Penn, ucsf caliber. Then you throw in a low tier program like mayo Jacksonville. I recommend going back to the drawing board. Figure out where you'd like to live (boston/philly/LA is very different than some of the less urban areas you have on there), look at where people with similar stats have matched then try your post again.

Med school: Top 40 U.S.
Step 1/2: 250s/260s
Class rank: top 25%
Grades: H in most clerkships (including IM and IM sub-internship)
AOA/GHHS: yes
Research: probably weakest area with 1 poster presentation, but several research experiences

Given an interest in academic GIM/PC/health services research, what IM residency programs should I be prioritizing higher/lower on my list? I've abused the heck out of the search function on this forum, but haven't had much luck in finding advice on programs good for GIM (except FuturePCP's gem of a post in the Official 2013 Match Thread and a handful of posts here and there)-- seems like a rarer breed on SDN.

Applying to both categorical and PC tracks, no geographical restrictions. Here's my current list, roughly sorted by region. What programs are good for GIM (interested in being a researcher/thought leader)? Any programs I'm overlooking? Any programs to note that might be too "subspecialty" oriented?

UWash, OHSU, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, University of Colorado
WashU, UMichigan, Mayo Rochester, UChicago, Northwestern, UIC
Maryland, JHH, JHH Bayview, Duke, UNC, Emory, Vanderbilt
Mt. Sinai, Columbia, NYU, Montefiore PC/SM, MGH, BWH, BIDMC, Penn, UPMC, Yale, Yale PC

Thanks in advance!

Research: probably weakest area with 1 poster presentation, but several research experiences

Given an interest in academic GIM/PC/health services research, what IM residency programs should I be prioritizing higher/lower on my list? I've abused the heck out of the search function on this forum, but haven't had much luck in finding advice on programs good for GIM (except FuturePCP's gem of a post in the Official 2013 Match Thread and a handful of posts here and there)-- seems like a rarer breed on SDN.

Applying to both categorical and PC tracks, no geographical restrictions. Here's my current list, roughly sorted by region. What programs are good for GIM (interested in being a researcher/thought leader)? Any programs I'm overlooking? Any programs to note that might be too "subspecialty" oriented?

Mt. Sinai, Columbia, NYU, Montefiore PC/SM, MGH, BWH, BIDMC, Penn, UPMC, Yale, Yale PC

Thanks in advance!
There were a few programs last year that struck me for their "thought leaders" and GIM. UCSF maintains the "Current Diagnosis and Treatment" series, and is the home of the hospitalist movement. Their faculty seemed both approachable and extremely smart/well respected on interview day. BIDMC has a huge focus on education in general, and they run the Grand Rounds series in Annals of Internal Medicine. One of the Duke faculty runs the "Rational Clinical Exam" series in JAMA, and they seemed to emphasize evidence-based medicine and clinical reasoning. Similarly, BWH and MGH both have series in NEJM, but in general Duke, MGH, and BWH seemed more subspecialty oriented. Yale PC has a strong reputation, but since I didn't interview for that program specifically, I couldn't give you any firsthand information. On the clinical side Penn is relatively subspecialty oriented (although there is a PC program), however there is very strong health services/healthcare economics research and quite a few GIM faculty have joint faculty appointments at Wharton. My sense with GIM/primary care is that the places where you get the strongest clinical training/emphasis on primary care are not necessarily the places that set you up for academic careers in GIM. A primary care track at the traditionally strong academic programs might be the best middle ground, although you will likely have to accept more subspecialty-focused clinical time in exchange for access to the GIM thought leaders and research opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There were a few programs last year that struck me for their "thought leaders" and GIM. UCSF maintains the "Current Diagnosis and Treatment" series, and is the home of the hospitalist movement. Their faculty seemed both approachable and extremely smart/well respected on interview day. BIDMC has a huge focus on education in general, and they run the Grand Rounds series in Annals of Internal Medicine. One of the Duke faculty runs the "Rational Clinical Exam" series in JAMA, and they seemed to emphasize evidence-based medicine and clinical reasoning. Similarly, BWH and MGH both have series in NEJM, but in general Duke, MGH, and BWH seemed more subspecialty oriented. Yale PC has a strong reputation, but since I didn't interview for that program specifically, I couldn't give you any firsthand information. On the clinical side Penn is relatively subspecialty oriented (although there is a PC program), however there is very strong health services/healthcare economics research and quite a few GIM faculty have joint faculty appointments at Wharton. My sense with GIM/primary care is that the places where you get the strongest clinical training/emphasis on primary care are not necessarily the places that set you up for academic careers in GIM. A primary care track at the traditionally strong academic programs might be the best middle ground, although you will likely have to accept more subspecialty-focused clinical time in exchange for access to the GIM thought leaders and research opportunities.

This is probably the best summary of GIM leaders out there. I can vouch for Yale PC. Great program.

Here is the thing about academic GIM. It's a small world. Train anywhere on that list above and you'll be set to start. The more difficult part is making a career out of it as it remains a step-child in most academic centers. Clinician-educator is getting some love (see Hopkins). But GIM as a field looks to be mostly quality improvement focused, which is critical to actual patient care and yet not that interesting to promotion boards.

Im a little late to the SDN party, but am hoping to get some insight into my list (all input is appreciated)

Med school: low-mid school in NE
Step 1/2: 241/taking it soon
Class rank: top 20%
Grades: H in all but psych and peds ( HP)
AOA/GHHS: nope,
Research: probably the strongest part of my app 6 first author papers including 2 in med school, another two in prep, and 10-12 conference abstracts of varying authorship, also got a small external grant in med school for my work
Extracurricular: I have some in throughout med school
LORs: I think they are strong, chairmen who i do research with, Associate PD from IM who was my attending and we got along great (already got an II from her program), and my SubI director

my list:
Mass: BIDMC, BUMC, Brigham, mass gen, Tufts,
DC: georgetown
Tristate: greenwich, lenox, hofstra, Ichan, Ichan St. Lukes, Ichan Beth Israel, Jaobi, Cornell, Rutgers RWJ, SUNY brooklyn, Buffalo, UConn, Rochester, wintrhop Yale new haven
Random NE: Brown, Hopkins, Hopkin Bayview, Northwestern (although my school doesnt match there), Upenn, penn Hospital, Temple, Thomas Jeff, UChicago, UIC, Maryland, UPMC, UPMC mercy
Mid west: Case western, Cleveland clinic, Mayo (II here), Colorado (II)
Stanford

For the most part not sure if i want a fellowship, or GIM, and I have family in the NE so that would be nice

Im a little late to the SDN party, but am hoping to get some insight into my list (all input is appreciated)

Med school: low-mid school in NE
Step 1/2: 241/taking it soon
Class rank: top 20%
Grades: H in all but psych and peds ( HP)
AOA/GHHS: nope,
Research: probably the strongest part of my app 6 first author papers including 2 in med school, another two in prep, and 10-12 conference abstracts of varying authorship, also got a small external grant in med school for my work
Extracurricular: I have some in throughout med school
LORs: I think they are strong, chairmen who i do research with, Associate PD from IM who was my attending and we got along great (already got an II from her program), and my SubI director

my list:
Mass: BIDMC, BUMC, Brigham, mass gen, Tufts,
DC: georgetown
Tristate: greenwich, lenox, hofstra, Ichan, Ichan St. Lukes, Ichan Beth Israel, Jaobi, Cornell, Rutgers RWJ, SUNY brooklyn, Buffalo, UConn, Rochester, wintrhop Yale new haven
Random NE: Brown, Hopkins, Hopkin Bayview, Northwestern (although my school doesnt match there), Upenn, penn Hospital, Temple, Thomas Jeff, UChicago, UIC, Maryland, UPMC, UPMC mercy
Mid west: Case western, Cleveland clinic, Mayo (II here), Colorado (II)
Stanford

For the most part not sure if i want a fellowship, or GIM, and I have family in the NE so that would be nice

Not sure why it's left out maybe accidental? NYU, montefiore and columbia. Also I'd remove Winthrop, Sinai Beth Israel, downstate and Greenwich. You could consider removing Lenox hill as well. You will almost certainly match at a great academic program given your resume no need for that many community programs...

Not sure why it's left out maybe accidental? NYU, montefiore and columbia. Also I'd remove Winthrop, Sinai Beth Israel, downstate and Greenwich. You could consider removing Lenox hill as well. You will almost certainly match at a great academic program given your resume no need for that many community programs...
Monty was an oversight but NYU and Columbia apparently just dont take my school (as per our advisers)

Thanks in advance!

I'm going to go ahead and plug for NYU here. The PC PD is actually one of the founders and former presidents of SGIM and he wrote the book on interviewing skills. The program itself is pretty focused on healthcare research in general and a lot of graduates end up in academic medicine as a result. Full disclosure, I'm a resident at NYU, but I still think the GIM program is objectively good.

long time lurker seeking some guidance.

I have been fortunate to receive several interviews at this point:

1.Penn
2.Yale
3.WashU
4.Duke
5.Stanford
6.Vanderbilt
7.Case Western
8.University of Chicago
9.Mayo Clinic
10.Cleveland Clinic
11.UT Southwestern
12.Cornell

1. how many interviews should I go on (I have done so research and it seems like 8-12 is traditionally accepted)
2. I plan on declining University of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Mayo Clinic, and Cleveland Clinic at this time - would you agree with the choices?

1.Penn
2.Yale
3.WashU
4.Duke
5.Stanford
6.Vanderbilt
7.Case Western
8.University of Chicago
9.Mayo Clinic
10.Cleveland Clinic
11.UT Southwestern
12.Cornell

1. how many interviews should I go on (I have done so research and it seems like 8-12 is traditionally accepted)
2. I plan on declining University of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Mayo Clinic, and Cleveland Clinic at this time - would you agree with the choices?

Cleveland clinic is by far the worst program on that list. Mayo is understandable due to location...Same with vandy if that's not your cup of tea. I would reconsider UChicago.

1.Penn
2.Yale
3.WashU
4.Duke
5.Stanford
6.Vanderbilt
7.Case Western
8.University of Chicago
9.Mayo Clinic
10.Cleveland Clinic
11.UT Southwestern
12.Cornell

If you're going to ditch 4 of those programs they should be:
Case
CCF
UTSW/Cornell/2 other places you are still waiting to hear from.

Hi, everyone!

I've been a silent lurker for a bit now on SDN and was hoping I could get some WAMC advice.

US citizen IMG -- med school from India
Step 1: 242
Step 2: 250
Honors in ENT during internship and otherwise fair grades (I don't know if that matters being an IMG)
Research: had a summer research fellowship, but unfortunately did not get a publication out of it -- am still working on submitting to other journals though; one oral presentation at a conference which won first place; One case report submitted.
I had written a book chapter for a peds hem-onc manual with one of my professors, but due to some weird politics in my univerity, they published it in-house. Hence, I didn't put in on my CV.
USCE: 2 months sub-I at Dartmouth
LoRs: 2 waived from US doctors which I believe are at least good if not strong, 2 strong waived letters from my med school and one unwaived chair letter
Extracurriculars: was student representative for several committees on campus including the medical education unit, etc; several community service/volunteering projects.
Worked on/off as an on-call medical officer

I've applied to 100+ programs. Some top-tier (I guess out of naive wishful thinking), some community programs, some state programs. Unfortunately, my CK came out late so I had to send applications in waves. It is late now, but I'm wondering if I should apply to more as I've received only 2 invites so far. Some of my colleagues have applied to 180.

Does being a US-IMG not from a Caribbean school matter? Does it decrease my chances of matching?
I'm freaking out a little that I've received only 2 invites and it's already quite late. I know that applying a week to two weeks late has decreased my chances of being offered an interview quite a bit, but is there still a possibility of invites now? Should I apply to more programs?

Would appreciate any honest advice from you all and thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Int med application

I've had a fairly rough go during medical school lots of medical issues myself anyways. My grades aren't excellent. I've got 1 fail(retake P in PSYCHIATRY!!), Conditional P in pediatrics, all Pass, and HP in neuro.

Outstanding honors in medicine SUB-I with excellent LOR. I've struggled with standardized exams since day 1, I can only complete about 2/3 of the exams in the allotted time thus my poor scores(fail and CP, board exams). Other than that all glowing clerkship reviews even in pscyh/peds, excellent LORs, 2 publications, lots of service/community work.

Step 1 223
Step 2CK 225 bummer RECEIVED TODAY. Average is 242 so I'm way below on step 2 and almost average on step 1.

Question do I release this 225 CK now or just wait and see who will give me interviews based on my step 1? I've gotten 1 interview so far and 2 rejections without step 2ck release.

Internal medicine.

I am also curious about matching and interviews. If I get an interview does that me I am automatically ranked by the school? So if I get one interview and they rank me last like 50/50 and I rank them 1/1 then I am going there?

Would anyone care to comment on my chances of matching?:nailbiting: