*~*~*OFFICIAL*~*~*~ Match Lists 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This face when I realize 14% of the class just matched Neurosurgery.
hFB68F297
Haha almost as many neurosurgery matches as internal med, which is crazy. Plus every single internal medicine match is a top program.

CCLCM really 'ought to do itself a favor and distinguish itself from Case Western's main program for rankings. I'm sure they would easily be a top 20/10 program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have the match list for MCW? Thanks

Reactions: 4 users
Emory University

Anesthesiology
Emory​

Child Neurology
Columbia
Emory​

Dermatology
Dartmouth
Henry Ford Hospital
Northwestern (2)
University of Alabama​

Emergency Medicine
Emory (3)
Ohio State
UCLA
Virginia Tech Carillion SOM
Wellstar Kennestone​

ENT
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Emory
University of Washington
FM
Emory
Fort Belvoir Community Hospital
Swedish Medical Center Seattle​

Internal Medicine
Brigham & Women’s
Cambridge Health Alliance
Case Western
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel University
Duke (3)
Emory (8)
Medical University of South Carolina
Naval Medical Center San Diego
UCSD
UCSF (4)
University of Colorado- Denver
University of Michigan
University of Nevada, Reno
University of Washington (2)
UPENN
Wright State University
Yale (2)​

Med- Peds
University of Colorado Denver​

Interventional Radiology
Emory​

Neuro Surgery
Emory
Thomas Jefferson University​

Neurology
University of Colorado Denver
Johns Hopkins​

Ob-Gyn
Emory (2)
University of Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma
UTSW
VT Carillion SOM​

Ophthalmology
Emory (4)
UCLA
Stanford
NY Eye and Ear of Mt Sinai
University of Colorado
Willis Eye Hospital at Jefferson​

Orthopedic Surgery
Drexel
Emory (2)
Jackson Memorial
UF Jacksonville
University of Pittsburgh
UPENN
Vanderbilt​

Pathology
Cornell
Stanford (2)
University of Minnesota​

Pediatrics
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
Columbia
Cornell (2)
Kaiser Permanente Oakland
Northwestern
University of Alabama
University of Kentucky
University of Utah
University of Washington (4)
UT Austin
Emory​

Plastic Surgery
UTSW​

PM&R
East Carolina University
Jackson Memorial​

Psych
Cornell (2)
Emory
University of Illinois
University of Texas at Galveston
UPENN​

Psych/FM
University of Cincinnati
Radiology Diagnostic
Emory (3)
Brigham & Women’s
UCSF
University of Utah​

Rad Onc
Washington University in St Louis​

Surgery- General
Duke
Emory (6)
Jackson Memorial
NYU
Oregon Health and Science University
San Antonio Military Med
University of Colorado-Denver​

Thoracic Surgery
UPENN​

Urology
Brigham & Women’s
Emory
NYU
University of Pittsburgh​

Vascular Surgery
Emory​

Members don't see this ad :)
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine match list:

Anesthesiology (4)
Case Western/University Hospitals (OH)
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA (IL)
University of Michigan (MI) - 2

Dermatology (1)
MacNeal PGY-1 (IL), University of Texas Southwestern-Dallas PGY-2 (TX)

ENT (2)
Mayo (MN)
Wayne State (MI)

Emergency Medicine (7)
Beaumont Health (MI) - 2
Henry Ford (MI) – 2
University of Central Florida (FL)
University of Florida-Shands (FL)
Yale (CT)

Family Medicine (15)
Beaumont (MI)
Kaiser Permanente-Orange County (CA)
Oakwood (MI)
Presby Intercommunity Hospital (CA)
St. John (MI) - 2
Texas Tech-Lubbock (TX)
University of Arizona-Phoenix (AZ)
UCLA (CA)
UC Irvine (CA)
UC Riverside (CA)
UC San Francisco-Fresno (CA)
University of Michigan (MI) – 2
Vidant Medical Center/East Carolina University (NC)

General Surgery (7)
Arrowhead (CA)
Baylor-Scott & White (TX)
Loyola (IL)
Temple (PA)
U Central Florida (FL)
U Tennessee St. Thomas (TN)

Internal Medicine (15)
Beaumont (MI)
Cleveland Clinic (OH)
Dartmouth (NH)
Henry Ford (MI)
Loyola (IL)
Mercy Health Grand Rapids (MI)
Naples (FL)
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth (VA)
NYU Winthrop (NY)
Rush (IL)
UC Irvine (CA)
U Chicago (IL)
University of Cincinnati (OH)
University of Wisconsin (WI)
Vanderbilt (TN)

Interventional Radiology (1)
Beaumont (MI)

Med-Peds (1)
University of Rochester/Strong Memorial (NY)

Neurology (4)
Henry Ford (MI)
Henry Ford PGY-1 (MI), U Chicago PGY-2 (IL)
Ohio State (OH)

Neurosurgery (1)
University of Nebraska (NE)

OBGYN (5)
Beaumont (MI)
Cleveland Clinic (OH)
Louisiana State-New Orleans (LA)
UC Riverside (CA)
UNC (NC)

Ophthalmology (5)
Beaumont Health (MI)
Oakwood PGY-1 (MI), Cleveland Clinic PGY-2 (OH)
Indiana University (IN)
St. Mary Mercy PGY-1 (MI), SUNY Downstate PGY-2 (NY)
Weiss Memorial Hospital PGY-1 (IL), Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary PGY-2 (IL)

Ophthalmology Research Fellowship (1)
University of Michigan (MI)

Orthopedic Surgery (5)
Beaumont (MI)
Johns Hopkins (MD)
Mayo (AZ)
University of Toledo (OH) - 2

Pediatrics (8)
Children’s Hospital of Michigan (MI) – 3
Nationwide Children’s Hospital (OH)
Spectrum (MI)
University of Arizona-Tucson (AZ)
University of Michigan (MI)
University of New Mexico (NM)

Plastic Surgery (1)
Spectrum (MI)

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (3)
Beaumont (MI)
Memorial (FL)
Mercy Health Grand Rapids PGY-1 (MI), University of Toledo PGY-2 (OH)

Psychiatry (2)
Kaweah Delta (CA)
St. Mary Mercy (MI)

Radiology-Diagnostic (8)
Beaumont (MI) – 4
David Grant Medical Center Travis Air Force Base (CA)
Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State (MI)
St Mary Mercy PGY-1 (MI), Presence St. Francis PGY-2 (IL)
UC San Francisco-Fresno PGY-1 (CA), Loma Linda PGY-2 (CA)

Surgery-Preliminary (1)
Florida Atlantic University (FL)

Urology (3)
Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State
Lahey Clinic (MA)
UC Davis (CA)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thats the thing we have a home program. And its not like my school is inept we had matches in specialties like optho and ortho out the wazoo. Just not in my interest. I came to that realization of the importance of home programs when I was selecting schools.
I'm interested in a specific speciality and know for a fact no one from my school applied to it this year. Self selection is also a thing to keep in mind

Reactions: 2 users
upload_2018-3-17_16-54-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-17_16-53-6.png
    upload_2018-3-17_16-53-6.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 257
Its interesting that such a large number of big name schools have a good chunk matching rads. I guess they dont think AI will be an issue anytime soon.

Wow. Emergency Medicine is very unpopular at the top schools. Not surprising.

Hmm. Good point. With all the new residencies?

that and those crazy locums paying insane rates per hour not being as prevalent as they were a few years ago.

Really? Hmm. Perhaps. I would say that there are fewer insanely high rates, especially in the Houston and Dallas areas (which were obviously in a bubble due to FSEDs), but plenty of $250 -$300 locums, which is far higher than a decade ago.

I figure it's not so much the slight tightening in the job market and decline in locums rates per say that has caused a chill to descend on the desirability of EM, but rather what those declines today portend for the future. It's no secret that EM residency positions are the fastest growing in all of medicine, that its midlevel infestation is second behind only anesthesia, and that a tiny number of corporate contract management groups have a death-grip on the job market.

We knew those trends existed, and while somehow EM seemed to thrive despite of them, we also knew that what can't continue, won't. In this light, even a slight contraction in hourly rates acquires an added gravity, since we can see that thanks to the aforementioned trends, there is a whole dump-truck worth of pain where those first few granules came from. Once the much ballyhooed "ED shortage" is filled, there is a massive momentum of expanded residency classes that will work its way through the job market for decades to come +midlevels, to make the situation worse and worse without end in sight.

With that said, I might still go for EM, lol. In the 6 years it would take to do a surgical sub + fellowship you could finish your EM residency and save close to $2mil at today's locum rates if you bust your butt the way you would during those last 3 years of the surgical sub. That's hard to pass up, cause who knows how the world is gonna look like in 6 years, anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I figure it's not so much the slight tightening in the job market and decline in locums rates per say that has caused a chill to descend on the desirability of EM, but rather what those declines today portend for the future. It's no secret that EM residency positions are the fastest growing in all of medicine, that its midlevel infestation is second behind only anesthesia, and that a tiny number of corporate contract management groups have a death-grip on the job market.

We knew those trends existed, and while somehow EM seemed to thrive despite of them, we also knew that what can't continue, won't. In this light, even a slight contraction in hourly rates acquires an added gravity, since we can see that thanks to the aforementioned trends, there is a whole dump-truck worth of pain where those first few granules came from. Once the much ballyhooed "ED shortage" is filled, there is a massive momentum of expanded residency classes that will work its way through the job market for decades to come +midlevels, to make the situation worse and worse without end in sight.

With that said, I might still go for EM, lol. In the 6 years it would take to do a surgical sub + fellowship you could finish your EM residency and save close to $2mil at today's locum rates if you bust your butt the way you would during those last 3 years of the surgical sub. That's hard to pass up, cause who knows how the world is gonna look like in 6 years, anyway?

I used to make posts like this about predicting trends and going for the specialties with the biggest bang for your buck, but somehow these explanations always seem to ignore what fields those applicants actually like. There will always be pediatricians despite it being an automatic pay downgrade from adults. People will continue to become radiologists and anesthesiologists even as those around them sound sombre tidings of doom and gloom about their future profession. And no amount of money will turn an OR-hater into a orthopod or a neurosurg.

Reactions: 7 users
I used to make posts like this about predicting trends and going for the specialties with the biggest bang for your buck, but somehow these explanations always seem to ignore what fields those applicants actually like. There will always be pediatricians despite it being an automatic pay downgrade from adults. People will continue to become radiologists and anesthesiologists even as those around them sound sombre tidings of doom and gloom about their future profession. And no amount of money will turn an OR-hater into a orthopod or a neurosurg.

Well, uh, duh. What field somebody likes is completely dependent on the individual and is thus inapplicable to a discussion such as this. Salary and job markets on the other hand are universal truths that apply equally to everyone and are therefore valid topics of discussion. Coming to a thread and busting out the tired trope of "do what you love" is surprisingly:thinking: less profound and helpful than you might have imagined. Everybody already has a preference for doing what they like over doing what they don't like, we're so clever in fact that we've moved on to the next step of the decision making process, which is figuring out the right balance between liking what we do and getting paid for it.

Reactions: 1 users

You are wise. I regret EM. But, then again, everything is cyclical, and EM docs and midlevels burn out at such astronomical rates that maybe there won't be such a glut. Who knows?

Guys, commentary is on point but let’s stick to match lists!

You are wise. I regret EM. But, then again, everything is cyclical, and EM docs and midlevels burn out at such astronomical rates that maybe there won't be such a glut. Who knows?
Is there really a glut when it's still easy to find work and, in rural areas, highly paid work?

Wow. Emergency Medicine is very unpopular at the top schools. Not surprising.

Plenty of folks going EM from U Chicago, NW, Yale, UCSF, UCLA, WashU, Case Western, Hopkins, Stanford, Cornell, etc. relative to class size. I go to a "top tier" school and the number of people that want to go EM next year is in the double digits.

Either you are a troll or have a bone to pick with EM. Either way, you are hilariously wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thats the thing we have a home program. And its not like my school is inept we had matches in specialties like optho and ortho out the wazoo. Just not in my interest. I came to that realization of the importance of home programs when I was selecting schools.

Seriously. For a surgical subspecialty my home program has very little research going on, so its super super hard for people to build a competitive resume unless they know people or find away research fellowship from day 1...

Does anyone have Duke's match list?

University of Pennsylvania

Anesthesiology (6)
Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania x2
Johns Hopkins
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Cornell

Child Neurology (1)
Emory

Dermatology (8)
Hofstra
Mayo
NYU
Stanford
UCSF
University of Connecticut
Vanderbilt

Emergency Medicine (11)
Brown
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania x4
Icahn SOM-Mt. Sinai
Icahn SOM-St. Lukes
Maimonides Med Center
MGH x2
Washington

ENT (6)
Cincinnati
Harvard x2
Icahn SOM-Mt. Sinai
Michigan
University at Buffalo

Family Medicine (5)
Colorado
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Lancaster x2
University of Illinois

General Surgery (11)
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania x5
Lankenau
Oregon Health and Science University
Temple
University of Rochester
VCU
Yale

Internal Medicine (32)
Brigham and Women’s Hospital x2
Colorado
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania x11
Mayo
MGH x5
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Cornell
NYU x2
UCSF x2
Vanderbilt x2
Washington x2
Yale x2

Interventional Radiology (Integrated) (2)
Icahn SOM-Mt. Sinai

Medicine-Pediatrics (2)
MGH
Yale

Medicine-Psychiatry (1)
Tulane

Neurology (7)
Barnes-Jewish
Brigham and Women’s x2
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania x3
University of Massachusetts

Neurosurgery (3)
Duke
Stanford
UPMC

OBGYN (2)
Emory
UCSF

Ophthalmology (11)
Duke
Harvard
Michigan x2
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Pittsburgh
Stanford
University of Miami
University of Southern California

Orthopaedic Surgery (6)
Duke
HSS x2
NYMC-Westchester
NYU
UCSF

Pathology (1)

Pediatrics (13)
Boston Children’s x3
CHOP x6
St. Louis Children’s x2
Washington
Yale

Plastic Surgery (Integrated) (2)
Georgetown

Psychiatry (6)
Beth Israel Deaconess
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania x3
UCSF
Yale

Psychiatry-Family Medicine (1)
UPMC

Radiology-Diagnostic (3)
MGH
UPMC

Radiation Oncology (2)
Emory
Stanford

Urology (2)
University of Miami

Other PGY1:
Medicine-Prelim (17)

Beth Israel Deaconess
Maryland-Mercy
MGH
Montefiore-New Rochelle
Pennsylvania Hospital x8
SSM St. Mary’s Hospital
St. Mary’s Medical Center
University of Massachusetts
Yale

Surgery-Prelim (6)
Jackson Memorial
Lankenau
Northwestern
UVA

Transitional (11)
Colorado Health Foundation
Crozer-Chester x5
Reading
Riverside Community Hospital
Santa Clara Valley Med Center
St. Joseph Mercy
UPMC

Does anyone have Loyola or University of Arizona Tucson's match list??

Plenty of folks going EM from U Chicago, NW, Yale, UCSF, UCLA, WashU, Case Western, Hopkins, Stanford, Cornell, etc. relative to class size. I go to a "top tier" school and the number of people that want to go EM next year is in the double digits.

Either you are a troll or have a bone to pick with EM. Either way, you are hilariously wrong

Interesting. Harvard must have an awful EM rotation! Well, the field will be highly oversubscribed shortly. Then we will all be in a pickle!

I agree with you, but I think it's just the norm for these schools. I believe people still are quite misinformed about the politics and group dynamics surrounding the current and future sate of EM and it will still be a moderately competitive specialty for the foreseeable future. If someone plans to go into EM, they better really like it because if reimbursement declines for anything, it will be EM. Along with EM groups still getting bought out by national contract management groups every month, don't expect to make all that much money for long. Also as you stated it has quite a bit of residency expansion which will cause oversaturation.

Interesting. Harvard must have an awful EM rotation! Well, the field will be highly oversubscribed shortly. Then we will all be in a pickle!

Add another top school UPenn to my list. Harvard had more EM applicants last year, and you're drawing wrong conclusions based on only 1 school during 1 application cycle.

I don't see a "physician" badge on your account, and I've read your past posts--you're either a troll or just live with a very negative filter on life. Lighten up dude.

Add another top school UPenn to my list. Harvard had more EM applicants last year, and you're drawing wrong conclusions based on only 1 school during 1 application cycle.

I don't see a "physician" badge on your account, and I've read your past posts--you're either a troll or just live with a very negative filter on life. Lighten up dude.

I am just generally negative:) Hey, we all have to stick with our strengths!

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with you, but I think it's just the norm for these schools. I believe people still are quite misinformed about the politics and group dynamics surrounding the current and future sate of EM and it will still be a moderately competitive specialty for the foreseeable future. If someone plans to go into EM, they better really like it because if reimbursement declines for anything, it will be EM. Along with EM groups still getting bought out by national contract management groups every month, don't expect to make all that much money for long. Also as you stated it has quite a bit of residency expansion which will cause oversaturation.
EM reimbursement should always exceed primary care reimbursement due to the nature of the work, so I don't think pay will drop significantly. Residency expansion is concerning, but the requirement for ED physicians to be BC in EM has expanded as well. Many older ED doctors are trained in IM or other specialties, but that should become increasingly less common. So arguably ED residencies had to expand to maintain equilibrium, especially when accounting for the growth in demand for emergency medicine. I'm also not too worried about midlevel encroachment, since hospitals will want BC physicians when SHTF, which isn't nearly as common in primary care.

Fortunately as an incoming M1 I have 3 years to observe trends and make a decision as to whether to commit to EM. Not seeing myself as a surgeon, and having a background and interest in neuroscience, my backup plan is neurology. The field, like the medical subspecialites, will most likely have a great future, as midlevels cannot obtain the specialized training to reduce demand for physicians.

Also, EM was actually HMS's second most popular specialty last year...
Got a Match? | HMS

Guys, can you take your EM discussion to another thread or PM?

Reactions: 20 users
The thing that stands out most to me about this list is how few of WMU's students are actually from Michigan.
Private public partnership DGAF about where you are from. Tuition is the same, students probably go to uMich , Wayne or MSUCHM

Private public partnership DGAF about where you are from. Tuition is the same, students probably go to uMich , Wayne or MSUCHM

Yeah, Michigan is still a decent state to be from (everyone in my college class with a 27 or higher got in within 2 application cycles, though this was a decade ago), but if they want to attract and retain physicians in Southwest Michigan, they're not using a winning strategy. Kalamazoo is a fun town, but not the type of place you'd stick around in if you're from the west coast.

Washington University in St. Louis

Anesthesiology (3)

Johns Hopkins Hosp Baltimore MD
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor Ann Arbor MI
UCLA Medical Center Los Angeles CA

Dermatology (5)
Barnes-Jewish Hosp St Louis MO
St Louis Univ School of Medicine St Louis MO
U Cincinnati Med Ctr Cincinnati OH

Emergency Medicine (4)
Montefiore Med Ctr/Einstein Bronx NY
Oregon Health & Science Univ Portland OR

Family Medicine (5)
Hosp of the Univ of PA Philadelphia PA
Kadlec Regional Med Ctr Richland WA
Kaiser Permanente-San Diego San Diego CA
St Louis Univ School of Medicine St Louis MO
U California-San Francisco San Francisco CA

Internal Medicine (31)
B I Deaconess Med Ctr Boston MA
B I Deaconess Med Ctr Boston MA
Brigham & Womens Hosp Boston MA
Brigham & Womens Hosp Boston MA
Cleveland Clinic Fdn Cleveland OH
Emory Univ School of Medicine Atlanta GA
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Boston MA
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA Chicago IL
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr New York NY
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr New York NY
NYU School Of Medicine New York NY
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor Ann Arbor MI
University Hosps-Columbia Columbia MO
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr Nashville TN
Baylor Coll Med-Houston Houston TX - Med/Peds
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Boston MA - Med/Primary Care

Interventional Radiology (2)

Neurosurgery (3)

Neurology (2)

Obstetrics and Gynecology (7)
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med Indianapolis IN
U Maryland Med Ctr Baltimore MD
U Minnesota Med School Minneapolis MN
U Texas Med Sch Houston TX
Yale-New Haven Hosp New Haven CT

Ophthalmology (3)
U California-San Diego San Diego CA
Washington University St Louis MO
Wills Eye Residency Program at Jefferson Philadelphia PA

Orthopaedic Surgery (8)
Hosp For Special Surgery New York NY
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med Indianapolis IN
Jackson Memorial Hosp Miami FL
U Southern California Los Angeles CA
U Washington Affil Hosps Seattle WA
U North Carolina Hospitals Chapel Hill NC

Otolaryngology (1)

Pathology (2)
Stanford Univ Progs Stanford CA

Pediatrics (9)
Case Western/Univ Hosps Cleveland Med Ctr Cleveland OH
St Louis Childrens Hosp St Louis MO
Stanford Univ Progs Palo Alto CA
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch Dallas TX
Baylor Coll Med Houston TX
Childrens Hospital-Boston Boston MA

Plastic Surgery (1)
U Utah Affil Hospitals Salt Lake City UT

Psychiatry (7)
Med Coll Wisconsin Affil Hosps Milwaukee WI

Radiation Oncology (2)
City Of Hope Duarte CA
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Madison WI

Radiology (13)
U Texas Southwestern Med School Dallas TX
Barnes-Jewish Hosp St. Louis MO
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA Chicago IL
NYU School Of Medicine New York NY
Santa Clara Valley Med Ctr San Jose CA
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr Nashville TN

General Surgery (6)
NYU School Of Medicine Brookyln NY
UIC/Mt Sinai Hosp Med Ctr Chicago IL
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr Winston-Salem NC

Thoracic Surgery (1)
U Southern California Los Angeles CA

Urology (1)
Stanford Univ School of Medicine Stanford CA

Washington University in St. Louis
Neurosurgery (3)

You merely adopted St. Louis, I was born in it, molded by it.. I didn't see neurosurgery outside St. Louis until I was already a man

Reactions: 14 users
Anyone have Sidney Kimmel Thomas Jefferson?

Haha almost as many neurosurgery matches as internal med, which is crazy. Plus every single internal medicine match is a top program.

CCLCM really 'ought to do itself a favor and distinguish itself from Case Western's main program for rankings. I'm sure they would easily be a top 20/10 program.

Lol Case Western's match list is equally as impressive as CCLCM's I'd say; 11 ortho's, 8 neurosurg, 15 gen surg. etc.

Attachments

• 2018 Anonymized Match List.pdf
    201.4 KB · Views: 1,346
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users