Official NBDE Part 1 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 1 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have a question about inferior alveolar injection.
If needle enters parotid gland during inferior alveolar injection or mandibular block injection, why does it paralyze facial expression?
Facial expression is innervated by CN VII wheras parotid gland is innervated by CN IX so I am having hard time understanding this.

Facial nerve, glossopharyngeal nerve, retromandibular vein, arteria carotid externa ( maxillary & superficial temporalis), some limphatic (don't remember exactly) pass trough parotid.

Hey yall, quick and easy question..

If a patient wants a tooth extracted but you do do not see any reason for it to be taken out, what do you do?

This is not from decks or anything, I'm just wondering how to answer this kind of q if it pops up.

Thanks

I think first you should explain a patient that tooth is savable and how extraction will affect him/her. If patient doesn't care just do what he/she wants.

Facial nerve, glossopharyngeal nerve, retromandibular vein, arteria carotid externa ( maxillary & superficial temporalis), some limphatic (don't remember exactly) pass trough parotid.

wow...I am surprised that there are so many things passing parotid gland...and I am more surprised that you know all about them :scared: and my test is in 2 days :(

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...I am surprised that there are so many things passing parotid gland...and I am more surprised that you know all about them :scared: and my test is in 2 days :(

:laugh:Now you also know .
My test is in 3 weeks, and I feel totally not ready - study more for know less.
Anyway, good luck to you.
Sorry for off

Hey all the best for your exam Hatico and Dancingkoala! Pretty close!:scared: I got 2months to go and I am already freaking out!:rolleyes:

Thank you for the wishes :) but I don't know what I have been doing for last 2 months :(

Q1.
How do you distinguish between CN V and CN VII?
I know that CN VII is for facial expression muscles and CN V is...well...mouth? LOL

Let's say someone punched you in the face. Do you feel the pain thru CN V or VII since both of them are in the face region?

Q2. Is sensation always ipsilateral?

Q3. Could you tell me what each adrenergic receptor is for?
alpha1
alpha2
beta1
and beta2

Q4. If a patient had a defect in the Sarcoplasmic reticulum resulting in a reduced of the activity of the calcium pump, what happens to the skeletal muscle?

answer= no muscle force reduction but relaxation of muscle is slowed.

SR is the one that provides calcium for muscle contraction. I think that muscle can't contract without calcium from SR. Any thoughts?

thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the wishes :) but I don't know what I have been doing for last 2 months :(

Here is another question.
How do you distinguish between CN V and CN VII?
I know that CN VII is for facial expression muscles and CN V is...well...mouth? LOL

Let's say someone punched you in the face. Do you feel the pain thru CN V or VII since both of them are in the face region?

Q2. Is sensation always ipsilateral?

Q3. Could you tell me what each adrenergic receptor is for?
alpha1
alpha2
beta1
and beta2

:laugh:I'm sure if someone punchs your or my face than first of all we feel it with epithalamus - getting angry and punch back.
Seriosly, my pattern is V- mastificatory muscles and most of skin, VII- mimic muscles

2) no. check bulbothalamic pathway - some fibers have a cross
3)
alpha 1 - smooth mm -exitation
alpha 2- GI, platelets, fat - inhibition
beta 1 -heart - exitation
beta 2 - smooth mm - inhibition

Last edited:
3) Hm... I thought all of them are sympathetic (all of them are adrenergic). No?

well...so far, i know that
Alpha 1 = vasoconstriction; has nothing to do with bronchi
beta 2 = relaxation of bronchi (thus used to treat emphysema patient)

I don't know anything else. :D

Q4. If a patient had a defect in the Sarcoplasmic reticulum resulting in a reduced of the activity of the calcium pump, what happens to the skeletal muscle?

answer= no muscle force reduction but relaxation of muscle is slowed.

SR is the one that provides calcium for muscle contraction. I think that muscle can't contract without calcium from SR. Any thoughts?
thank you.

Low calcium level cause tetanus - same force of contraction, but no relaxation. SR insufficiency looks the same.:confused:

I have a Q about bone reparation after fracture.

Long bones. Osteoblasts grow into callus - endochondral repair.
Mandible. Decks say there is intramembranous healing.

Does it mean that type of repair depends on bone structure?
Does it mean no callus formation is in mandibular fracture healing?:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so we all know cos in earlier trends there was a discussion about alkaline phophatase being an indication for either osteoblast or osteoclast activity.

Elevated ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE indicates that there could be active bone formation occurring as ALP is a byproduct of OSTEOBLASTIC activity (such as the case in Paget's disease of bone).

HYDROXPROLINE urine level is an index of OSTEOCLACTIC HYPERACTIVITY (such as in paget's disease of bone

Just so we all know cos in earlier trends there was a discussion about alkaline phophatase being an indication for either osteoblast or osteoclast activity.

Elevated ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE indicates that there could be active bone formation occurring as ALP is a byproduct of OSTEOBLASTIC activity (such as the case in Paget's disease of bone).

HYDROXPROLINE urine level is an index of OSTEOCLACTIC HYPERACTIVITY (such as in paget's disease of bone

:nod:But Alkaline Phosphatase level in Paget's disease can be not only elevated, but also normal or lower than normal. It depends on stage of disease.

Q1. female reproductive system.

FSH and estrogen level rises for follicle maturation.
LH level rise for ovulation.
When there is a pregnancy cGH and progesterone rise.
Am I correct?
Does FSH and estrogen level still as high as when it was during the 1st step or do they decrease after follicle is matured? How about LH, does it decrease after ovulation?
And what's the function of estrogen in the first step? I read that FSH is responsible for follicle maturation not the estrogen.

Q2. How is SR different in cardiac/skeletal/smooth muscles?

Last edited:
The contact areas of anterior teeth are incisal to the middle thirds in each of the following except one. Which one is this exception?
A. distal contact of the max canine
B. mesial contact of the max canine
C. mesial contact of max lateral incisor
D. mesial contact of the mand lateral incisor
E. distal contact of the mand lateral incisor

I think that
A = Middle 3rd
B = junction
C,D,E = incisor 3rd

However, the answer is A.
Does this mean I was wrong thinking that A is middle 3rd ?
when the question asks incisal to the middle third, it's including incisal, junction, and middle third right? So then the correct answer should be the one with cervical third? right?

Here is another one.
To properly align the max central incisor and the max lateral incisor, the orthodontist will ensure that the distal surface of the max central incisor contacts what area of the mesial surface of the max lateral incisor?
answer = incisor third.

However, the dental deck says the contact area between max central and lateral should be at the junction between incisor and middle third. NOT the incisal third.

lol I got confused bad by this question too. By incisal to the middle third, they don't me incisal through and including the middle 3rd. they mean incisal UP TO the middle third, not including the middle third. English not a very refined language.

1) Postganglionic SNS fibers release NE exept sweat glands and vessels of muscles.
2) Absolute refractory period = Na+ gate closure
3)
4) I think negative after potential is depolarisation - membrane are hyperexcitable. Then become not excitable (absolute refractory) , then repolarization = low excitability (relative refractory period)

The Afterpotentials, both negative/positive occur right after the action potential but before the refractory periods. Afterpotentials are not the same as refractory periods.

Q1. female reproductive system.

FSH and estrogen level rises for follicle maturation.
LH level rise for ovulation.
When there is a pregnancy cGH and progesterone rise.
Am I correct?
Does FSH and estrogen level still as high as when it was during the 1st step or do they decrease after follicle is matured? How about LH, does it decrease after ovulation?
And what's the function of estrogen in the first step? I read that FSH is responsible for follicle maturation not the estrogen.

Q2. How is SR different in cardiac/skeletal/smooth muscles?

Estrogen induces the LH surge for ovulation

- SR invaginates to form T tubules. T tubules in cardiac M. are larger but less in number than T tubules in Skeletal muscle. Smooth muscle is just smooth... it varies.

1)The biologically active conformation of trimeric G-protein requires
A. the alpha-subunit to bind GDP
B. the alpha-subunit to bind GTP

B is correct. A should be correct. :confused:

1)The biologically active conformation of trimeric G-protein requires
A. the alpha-subunit to bind GDP
B. the alpha-subunit to bind GTP

B is correct. A should be correct. :confused:
G-protein turns on when binds to GTP and
turns off when binds to GDP

G-protein turns on when binds to GTP and
turns off when binds to GDP

:laugh: thank you. i reviewed it again

Q. At age 8, the maxillary first molar has

B. distal contact with second molar
D. no distal contact ans

D is correct if 1st molar is permanent. B is also correct, if we mean the primary first molar.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just took the boards :)
The dental section was much easier than i expected.
However, the other sections were extremely hard. Even if I spend the rest of my life, I wouldn't able to solve those questions.
I might have to retake it... :(

:laugh: thank you. i reviewed it again

Q. At age 8, the maxillary first molar has

B. distal contact with second molar
D. no distal contact ans

D is correct if 1st molar is permanent. B is also correct, if we mean the primary first molar.
in the begining of the paper they specify tht unless told as primary they are to be considered as permanent....as they havent told here which maxillary teeth its presumed permanent max molar...hence 'D' s the answer..

However, the other sections were extremely hard. Even if I spend the rest of my life, I wouldn't able to solve those questions.

Congratulations!
Do not worry. I hope you pass:xf:. If not than this is not end of life. Many people cannot pass it first time. One way or other, earlier or later... but you will get your license ;)
Do you want to share with us some exam unexpected topics?

Congrats Koala!!! What a relief that must be!
Finally someone in 2011 said its actually tough! Otherwise all I heard was "easy"! (Over-confidence of some!) Its never easy and 1st time is always a disaster. Well atleast you did the Dental section good. I really hope you will get through.:thumbup:

congrats Koala...dont worry abt the result...u just do the hard work result will automatically come...all the best..:thumbup:

I took the boards today. it was the toughest exam that ive done in recent times. All the sections were very difficult for me i tried to make intelligent guesses but i had no idea. The only thing that can be guaranteed is adequate time :D

I am planning to retake it just like dancingkoala is planning:)

I took the boards today. it was the toughest exam that ive done in recent times. All the sections were very difficult for me i tried to make intelligent guesses but i had no idea. The only thing that can be guaranteed is adequate time :D

I am planning to retake it just like dancingkoala is planning:)

I couldn't even make any intelligent guesses cuz i've never even heard of those terms :scared:

this is not to scare us or discourage us but to encourage us to read more dig deeper understand the tiny gritty of the board not to over look any thing and even if we think we know it we should read it again and again.

And more importantly lets keep discussing. I saw a few:thumbup questions from this discussion forum, some word for word some slightly twisted

Honestly, I don't know how to study if I have to take it again. The questions were either too random or too hard for the level of education that I got in dental school.

Wow....Koala and Ionomer-scaring us all! What went wrong? I mean wasnt it from kaplan or decks??? Or just out of this world!? How many ASDA questions did u guys get? what materials did u all refer? Can you guys please eloborate.

1. Tetrodotoxin blocks which of the following channels in nerve-axon membranes?
A. Sodium ans
B. Calcium

This toxin attacks voltage-gated Na+ canals . I know they are embedded in the postsynaptic membrane There are Na+ canals in axon (presynaptic) membrane also?

2. Which of the following anatomic structures of a maxillary 1st molar moves thorugh the distofacial groove of a mandibular 1st molar?
A. Mesial marginal ridge
B. Distal marginal ridge
C. Mesiofacial cusp
D. Distofacial cusp ans
E. Oblique ridge

Why is D only? I think Q is not complete (no direction of movement). Agree or explain, please.

Thank you

A. Sodium ans
B. Calcium

This toxin attacks voltage-gated Na+ canals . I know they are embedded in the postsynaptic membrane There are Na+ canals in axon (presynaptic) membrane also?

2. Which of the following anatomic structures of a maxillary 1st molar moves thorugh the distofacial groove of a mandibular 1st molar?
A. Mesial marginal ridge
B. Distal marginal ridge
C. Mesiofacial cusp
D. Distofacial cusp ans
E. Oblique ridge

Why is D only? I think Q is not complete (no direction of movement). Agree or explain, please.

Thank you

For #2, it's D only and Q is complete. If it doesn't talk about movement, you should assume that it's maximal intercuspation.

A. Sodium ans
B. Calcium

Hey -"voltage gated sodium channels in post synaptic!":confused: I never heard that! Sodium channels are present all through the axon length on the membrane and not at pre/post synaptic regions! Calcium channels are present at the pre-synaptic membrane.

Thank you, Holly!

Which of the following helps to regulate the overall rate of glycolysis by directly influencing the activity of phosphofructokinase?
A. malate
B. lactate
C. citrate ans
D. succinate
E. oxaloacetate

Can someone explain?

At what level do polymorphonuclear cells exist the vessels to site of injury

A) Artery

B) Arterioles

C) capillaries

D) Metaterioles

E) Venules

Which vaccine is commonly given to kids in the US

A) BCG

B) Polio vaccine

C) TB VAccine

D) DPT

What anatomical structure differientiate the gall bladder from the other structures of the SI

A) Muscularis mucosae

b) Tunica Adventitia

C)........

D) Submucosa

What muscle is found btw the superior and middle constrictor

A) Stylopharyngus

B) Myelohyiod

C) Palatoglossus

D) .......

Testlets - Alzheimer is a type of dementia T/F

Alzheimer is associated with amyloid deposit T/F

Type 2 DM is associated with

A) Lack of insulin production

B) Insensitivity of cells to Insulin

C) Lack of Parathyroid H

D) Insensitivity of cells to Thyroid H

Which of the following consist of sinusoid

A) Thyroid

B) Spleen

C) Liver

D) Lungs

Guy i know you understand i need answers to all these :)

At what level do polymorphonuclear cells exist the vessels to site of injury

A) Artery

B) Arterioles

C) capillaries ans

D) Metaterioles

E) Venules

Which vaccine is commonly given to kids in the US

A) BCG

B) Polio vaccine

C) TB VAccine

D) DPT ans

What anatomical structure differientiate the gall bladder from the other structures of the SI

A) Muscularis mucosae

b) Tunica Adventitia

C)........

D) Submucosa ans - absence of submucosa

What muscle is found btw the superior and middle constrictor

A) Stylopharyngus ans

B) Myelohyiod

C) Palatoglossus

D) .......

Testlets - Alzheimer is a type of dementia T/F

Alzheimer is associated with amyloid deposit T/F ans

Type 2 DM is associated with

A) Lack of insulin production

B) Insensitivity of cells to Insulin ans

C) Lack of Parathyroid H

D) Insensitivity of cells to Thyroid H

Which of the following consist of sinusoid

A) Thyroid ans

B) Spleen ans

C) Liver ans

D) Lungs

Guy i know you understand i need answers to all these :)

:rolleyes:

Thank you, Holly!

Which of the following helps to regulate the overall rate of glycolysis by directly influencing the activity of phosphofructokinase?
A. malate
B. lactate
C. citrate ans
D. succinate
E. oxaloacetate

Can someone explain?

PFK is inhibited by citrate, marker of a high energy state of a cell. When citrate levels are high, the cell can obtain more than enough energy from the citric acid cycle and does not need glycolysis to shovel more carbons into the citric acid cycle.:thumbup:

There are actually 2radioulnar joints proximal (close to the elbow) and distal (@ the wrist)

I hope im right oooo

True. But only the proximal radioular joint is capable of supination. (i.e. the radius does not rotate around the ulna at the wrist).

which of the following component of ETC accepts only electrons?
FMN, coenzyme Q, cytochrome b, oxygen

The answer is cytochrome B.
I think coenzyme Q should be the answer because it just carries the electrons and doesn't accept H, no?
I thought only Complex 1,2,3,and 4 can pump out the H+ and cytochrome B is part of complex 3
whereas coenzyme Q and cytochrome C are just electron carriers between complexes.

Last edited:

I think coenzyme Q should be the answer because it just carries the electrons and doesn't accept H, no?
I thought only Complex 1,2,3,and 4 can pump out the H+ and cytochrome B is part of complex 3
whereas coenzyme Q and cytochrome C are just electron carriers between complexes.

:(B-C1 complex accepts electron only

Cytochrome b:confused: its an electron carrier.
Not sure about the answer. It should probably be oxygen as it is the terminal electron acceptor. FMN is also an acceptor but it donates electrons too. Ubiquinone is also a carrier.

all of the following are immediate changes tht occurs in CV system following birth except:-
-closure of foramen ovale
-closure of ductus venosus
-closure of interventricular system (ans)
-constriction of umbilical arteries
How?

endochondral ossification is the procedure in the develpoment of bone in which
-hyaline cartilage s transformed into bone
-calcified cartilage s replaced by bone (ans)
How? y cant it be first?

double vertical fracture through mental foramin- fragments go posteriorly and inferiorly due to muscle action....what muscles are acting?

all of the following are immediate changes tht occurs in CV system following birth except:-
-closure of interventricular system (ans)
How?
Interventricular septum closure occures antenatally
-hyaline cartilage s transformed into bone
-calcified cartilage s replaced by bone (ans)
How? y cant it be first?

double vertical fracture through mental foramin- fragments go posteriorly and inferiorly due to muscle action....what muscles are acting?
inferiorly - suprahyoid muscles ( lateral pterygoideus does not act) , posteriorly - suprahyoid and musticatory muscles
:)

Last edited:
-closure of interventricular system (ans) closes down before birth
How?

-hyaline cartilage s transformed into bone-not direct cartilage to bone
-calcified cartilage s replaced by bone (ans)cartilage->osteoid->bone
How? y cant it be first?

:thumbup:

which of these is only specific to bone

A) Type 1 collagen
B) , C) ,
D) osteocalcin

Hemoptysis is seen in the following EXCEPT

A) Emphysema
B) TB
C) Bronchogenic CA
D) Histoplasmosis

Which of the following is a polysaccharide capsule

A) Bacillus anthrasis
B) Staph aureus
c) Strept pneumonea
d) Clostridium

Long term use of the anti bact agent clindamycin causes which

A) Ulcerative colitis
B) crons dx
C)perforated ilieus
D)Infective endocarditis
E)Pseudomembranous colitis

Which of the following causes non caseating granulomatous inflamation

A) Crohns dx
B)ulcerative colitis
C)Typhoid ileitis
D)Appendicitis
E)Acute on chronic gastritis

which immunoglobulin is normally found in oral infection

A)IgG
B)IgM
C)IgA
D)IgE
E)IgD

IgE is expressses in which of the following infection

A)Viral
B) parasite
C)Fungal
D)Bacteria

Fumarate is an intermediate in the urea cycle and ......

A) Tricarboxylic
B)Glycolysis
C)Pentose phosphate p way
D)...........

which of the following suppresses the immune sys

A) MHC 1
) Cytotoxic T cells
C) Suppressor T Cells
D)Immunoglobulins

Commonest site of basal cell CA is

A) Nose
B) lower lip
C) upper lip
D) upper face

which of these is not associated with taste buds

A) Filiform
B)Foliate
C) circumvalate
D)Fungiform

the 2nd phase of deglutition is comtrolled by

A) Medulla
B)Pons
C) meduula
D)Cerebelum

which of the following is monosynaptic

A) Gag reflex
B)...
C)...
D)...

At the top of a mountain the atmospheric presure is 250kpa what is the partial pressure of oxygen

A)0.01
B) 0.5
C)5
D) 50
E) 500

IN Addision disease, the hyperpigmentation is caused by cells found in which layer of the skin
A) S. granular
B) S. Cornem
C) S. germinale?basale
D) S. lucidum
E) S. Spinosum

Aldosterone actsin the partial regulation of which of the following

A) Sodium
B) potassium
C)...
D)...

Section of the infundibular stalk of the pituitary will lead to decrease in which of the following

A) Growth H
B) Thyroid H
C) Vasopressin
D) Prolactiin

Klinefelter is xterised by

A) 47 xxy
B) 47 xyy
C) 45 xxy
D) 45 xyy

All the following are xteristed by latency except

A) Rhinovirus
B) pappilomma Virus
C) Cytomegalovirus
D) Herpes simplex
E) .........

Antifungal agents are specific for fungal and not bacteria because of which of the following

A) Bacteria cell wall is thicker than fungal
A) Bateria is prokaryote while fungal is Eukaryote
C) Cell wall of fungus contains mycolic acid which is where the antifungal agent binds/ is specific to/for
D) Bacteria contain lipopolysaccharides while fungus contain proteoglycan

All of the following can leaad to kidney stone except one

A) Hypercalcemia
B) diabates insipidus
C) UTI
D) .......

As the questions keep coming we will be discussing. All the best Guys If you have any question(S) please let us discuss

Thanks All

which of these is only specific to bone

A) Type 1 collagen
B) , C) ,
D) osteocalcin ans

Hemoptysis is seen in the following EXCEPT

A) Emphysema ans
B) TB
C) Bronchogenic CA
D) Histoplasmosis

Which of the following is a polysaccharide capsule

A) Bacillus anthrasis
B) Staph aureus
c) Strept pneumonea ans
d) Clostridium

Long term use of the anti bact agent clindamycin causes which

A) Ulcerative colitis
B) crons dx
C)perforated ilieus
D)Infective endocarditis
E)Pseudomembranous colitis ans

Which of the following causes non caseating granulomatous inflamation

A) Crohns dx ans
B)ulcerative colitis
C)Typhoid ileitis
D)Appendicitis
E)Acute on chronic gastritis

which immunoglobulin is normally found in oral infection

A)IgG ans
B)IgM
C)IgA
D)IgE
E)IgD

IgE is expressses in which of the following infection

A)Viral
B) parasite ans
C)Fungal
D)Bacteria

Fumarate is an intermediate in the urea cycle and ......

A) Tricarboxylic ans
B)Glycolysis
C)Pentose phosphate p way
D)...........

which of the following suppresses the immune sys

A) MHC 1
) Cytotoxic T cells
C) Suppressor T Cells ans
D)Immunoglobulins

Commonest site of basal cell CA is

A) Nose
B) lower lip
C) upper lip
D) upper face ans

which of these is not associated with taste buds

A) Filiform ans
B)Foliate
C) circumvalate
D)Fungiform

the 2nd phase of deglutition is comtrolled by

A) Medulla ans
B)Pons
C) meduula
D)Cerebelum

which of the following is monosynaptic

A) Gag reflex
B)...Stretch reflex
C)...
D)...

At the top of a mountain the atmospheric presure is 250kpa what is the partial pressure of oxygen

A)0.01
B) 0.5
C)5
D) 50 ans ( about 21% of oxygen in air)
E) 500

IN Addision disease, the hyperpigmentation is caused by cells found in which layer of the skin
A) S. granular
B) S. Cornem
C) S. germinale?basale
D) S. lucidum
E) S. Spinosum

Aldosterone actsin the partial regulation of which of the following

A) Sodium
B) potassium
C)...
D)...
Aldosteron regulates Na\K pump - main function. Additional functions - H, HCO3, ADH regulation (H2O)
Section of the infundibular stalk of the pituitary will lead to decrease in which of the following

A) Growth H
B) Thyroid H
C) Vasopressin ans
D) Prolactiin

Klinefelter is xterised by

A) 47 xxy ans
B) 47 xyy
C) 45 xxy
D) 45 xyy

All the following are xteristed by latency except

A) Rhinovirus ans
B) pappilomma Virus
C) Cytomegalovirus
D) Herpes simplex
E) .........

Antifungal agents are specific for fungal and not bacteria because of which of the following

A) Bacteria cell wall is thicker than fungal
A) Bateria is prokaryote while fungal is Eukaryote
C) Cell wall of fungus contains mycolic acid which is where the antifungal agent binds/ is specific to/for
D) Bacteria contain lipopolysaccharides while fungus contain proteoglycan ans

All of the following can leaad to kidney stone except one

A) Hypercalcemia
B) diabates insipidus ans
C) UTI
D) .......

As the questions keep coming we will be discussing. All the best Guys If you have any question(S) please let us discuss

Thanks All

Hope it's correct

Last edited:
In the life cycle of an ameloblast, there are cells that contain Tomes' processes. These cells are in which of the following stages?

1. Secretory ans
  2. Morphogenic
  3. Organizing
  4. Maturative
  5. Protective
Does someone know stages of ameloblast cycle? Is rod a mature ameloblast? There is also Tomes' processes - spindels, correct?