**** Official OHSU C/O 2015 Acceptance Thread ****

Has anyone heard any new correspondence from OHSU this week? Any in-staters?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this wait is absolutely killing me! I'm wondering when they'll actually send out acceptance letters if it takes this long to send out interview invites! February? March? July? lol

just barely got the "competitive" letter. 23aa, 3.5/3.7, oos, wiche. sounds like i'm in the same waiting boat as u all. just from the stress alone, I'm leaning toward just choosing a school I interviewed with and calling it good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email requesting that I prove my Oregon residency today (in my spam mailbox). I guess the burden of proof is on the student. It doesn't matter that I have had an Oregon Driver's license for 10 years, or that I am currently in the Oregon University system as a resident.

I was hoping for an invite, not something disappointing like this. Have other instate applicants received the same request?

I received an email requesting that I prove my Oregon residency today (in my spam mailbox). I guess the burden of proof is on the student. It doesn't matter that I have had an Oregon Driver's license for 10 years, or that I am currently in the Oregon University system as a resident.

I was hoping for an invite, not something disappointing like this. Have other instate applicants received the same request?

I got the same email. I wish they would've just requested that as a "secondary" to submit at the same time as the AADSAS app. We could've gotten that stuff sorted out by now. Oh, well...

Just got the update in the Supplemental Materials section, Last Updated: 11/11/10. I'll be anxiously waiting for the mail this coming week. BTW I am an instate applicant.

Just got the update in the Supplemental Materials section, Last Updated: 11/11/10. I'll be anxiously waiting for the mail this coming week. BTW I am an instate applicant.

I noticed the same thing on my AADSAS. I'm OOS, got the competitive last year but haven't got one this year. I have a better app this year too. Maybe this change is the letter...we'll see.

Has anyone heard any new correspondence from OHSU this week? Any in-staters?

nope.. and I didn't even get the mail stating proof of residency either.

For those who got the residency email, when did you guys submit your app?

I feel like the whole taking the DAT late is kicking me in the behind :(

nope.. and I didn't even get the mail stating proof of residency either.

For those who got the residency email, when did you guys submit your app?

I feel like the whole taking the DAT late is kicking me in the behind :(

When did you take your DAT? My mailing date (w/DAT) was Aug 20th. I got the residency email last week.

When did you take your DAT? My mailing date (w/DAT) was Aug 20th. I got the residency email last week.

Did you get a competetive letter? Just curious, haven't heard of the residency email before. Hopefully it's a good thing though

I received the residency email last week (thursday of friday).

Mailing date 8/13

I called the admission office today. The staff said that my application processing won't be held while they wait for the residency papers. That made me feel a bit better, but still kind of lame. I would have liked to have a while to prepare the documents, because sooner is always better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, the residency email asks for copies of the following:

- Rent, rent receipts, or letter from landlord to verify Oregon residency for the past year
- Driver's license and vehicle registration (if applicable)
- W2 forms, wage receipts, and tax forms for the past year (if you're over 24, I think... otherwise, I think they ask for your parents' info too)

I think that's basically it. When you get the email, it has more detailed info. It sounded like they sent it to me because there were some confusion in my app, so maybe not all Oregon residents will receive it. But I thought I'd share that in case any Oregon residents want to get some of their documents in order in advance.

I'm an in-state applicant and received the "competitive" letter today. My AADSAS final update with DAT score was 9/10.

Same as edcampbe for me. Got the competitive letter, in state. Now more waiting to get that interview.

I received a letter today, but the undesired version. The "we are not prepared to take action at this time" letter. Which as I see it indicates I have next to no chance for an interview, and should expect a denial next may.

I received a letter today, but the undesired version. The "we are not prepared to take action at this time" letter. Which as I see it indicates I have next to no chance for an interview, and should expect a denial next may.

are you in state or out of state?

Hey guy... I too received the "undesired" letter but just completed the interview on Tuesday 16. So keep hope alive!

I am OOS and 'very' average scores BTW.

Hey guy... I too received the "undesired" letter but just completed the interview on Tuesday 16. So keep hope alive!

Congrats.
Are you apart of WHICE?

Yeah somebody got that letter last year and then got a letter stating they were being moved to the competetive pool..so it sounds like it shifts around quite a bit

had a supplemental update on 11/11 and another one on 11/14...Anyone else in the same situation? Know what this means?

Thanks. It is comforting to hear that this letter isn't a "death sentence". I was a bit down after getting that letter- but feeling better now.

Thanks. It is comforting to hear that this letter isn't a "death sentence". I was a bit down after getting that letter- but feeling better now.

Huh, whats the difference between the bad letter and good letter? I got a letter saying I passed preliminary stage of applications and it has advanced to the next committee step or something. It also said that competition is fierce this year so it will be tough. I can't decide whether it's good or bad? I think its average?

How did OHSU notify you of the interview? Was it by email or snailmail?

*edit*
So I heard that OHSU is no longer prioritizing Oregon residents this year. I think they're only planning on accepting around 35 Oregon applicants this cycle. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Yep, that's true. It sucks but we still have a great shot. I have a feeling they will start interviewing the in-staters soon

I also just got the "not prepared to take official action at this time" letter today.

OOS WICHE applicant. 3.39GPA/3.13Science/20AA

@lusity - yes, I did hear straight from the dean of admissions that they are only planning on accepting 35 Oregonians this year. However, last year I believe they were planning to only accept 40 Oregonians and they ended up accepting 49.

Huh, whats the difference between the bad letter and good letter? I got a letter saying I passed preliminary stage of applications and it has advanced to the next committee step or something. It also said that competition is fierce this year so it will be tough. I can't decide whether it's good or bad? I think its average?

I got the same letter as you (passed the initial assessment and going to the next phase of review; competitive pool this year). Check the very bottom of your letter. At the bottom of my letter, it says "i:\competitive"... Is that what people are referring to as the "competitive" letter?

do you mind sharing your mailing date stats and all the good stuff?:rolleyes:

Here's the Goods. Hope it helps.

Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) OR 07/09/2010 Mailed
That was a complete file BTW.

Overall GPA 3.25
Total Science 3.62
DAT
AA- 18
TS- 17
PA- 22
RC- 24
QR- 17

-OOS (Not WICHE)

- Many hours of Service (4500+ no joke) and considerable time shadowing. Also, worked pro-bono in Ortho and Dental Lab (200 hrs. +/- 15 at 95% confidence level Ha!)

- I'm a little bit older guy (30) with Mortgage Broker background and some college baseball (pitcher) as examples of leadership. I think it helped.

- Interview offer by email. Actual interview was Nov. 16th. Very, very, very informal day that started with a very simple writing prompt, conversation with Mr. Mark Mitchell (stellar guy!), sat in a couple lectures of my choice, two one-on-one interviews at 11:00 and 11:30 (excellent interviews- not a canned question and regurgitation session, very much a conversation they totally drilled down into who I am as a person and if I'd make a good candidate for Dentistry as a profession), lunch and informal tour with DIII, had choice of more lectures to sit through, catch a flight home...

- I was told that I was only the 6th interview this cycle! Other than hitting minimum requirements for OHSU, I am fairly certain that my early mail date was why I was selected for an interview so early in the game. Many of you have much better stats than I, so this may help you down from the ceiling a little. Be patient guys/gals as many/most interviews will most likely be post December!

I think that's what you wanted to know... let me know if there is anything else pertinent I missed!

Good luck friends, we just may be classmates at some point!

Cheers,

Ben

Last edited:
Here's the Goods. Hope it helps.

Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) OR 07/09/2010 Mailed
That was a complete file BTW.

Overall GPA 3.25
Total Science 3.62
DAT
AA- 18
TS- 17
PA- 22
RC- 24
QR- 17

-OOS (Not WICHE)

- Many hours of Service (4500+ no joke) and considerable time shadowing. Also, worked pro-bono in Ortho and Dental Lab (200 hrs. +/- 15 at 95% confidence level Ha!)

- I'm a little bit older guy (30) with Mortgage Broker background and some college baseball (pitcher) as examples of leadership. I think it helped.

- Interview offer by email. Actual interview was Nov. 16th. Very, very, very informal day that started with a very simple writing prompt, conversation with Mr. Mark Mitchell (stellar guy!), sat in a couple lectures of my choice, two one-on-one interviews at 11:00 and 11:30 (excellent interviews- not a canned question and regurgitation session, very much a conversation they totally drilled down into who I am as a person and if I'd make a good candidate for Dentistry as a profession), lunch and informal tour with DIII, had choice of more lectures to sit through, catch a flight home...

- I was told that I was only the 6th interview this cycle! Other than hitting minimum requirements for OHSU, I am fairly certain that my early mail date was why I was selected for an interview so early in the game. Many of you have much better stats than I, so this may help you down from the ceiling a little. Be patient guys/gals as many/most interviews will most likely be post December!

I think that's what you wanted to know... let me know if there is anything else pertinent I missed!

Good luck friends, we just may be classmates at some point!

Cheers,

Ben

awesome, :thumbup:
Thanks for the detailed info. Good luck to you as Dec 1st comes around :luck:

whats up with OHSU?

I haven't heard anything from them since the competitive letter. My friend who is a student at OHSU told me to expect an interview invite in January. I think they'll shift into first gear at the start of next year. Let me know if you hear otherwise though :)

I haven't heard anything from them since the competitive letter. My friend who is a student at OHSU told me to expect an interview invite in January. I think they'll shift into first gear at the start of next year. Let me know if you hear otherwise though :)

Thanks for sharing...saves me a month of having unrealistic expectations! I thought it'd be smooth sailing after my DAT but waiting is pretty stressful.

So no interviews until new year?

Has anyone heard anything from OHSU recently? Acceptances, interview invites, etc...?

Just received Acceptance from OHSU by email.

Me too! :) When did you interview? Planning on accepting the offer?

Just got anacceptance by email. Interviewed there 11/12. I'm OOS from utah. Trying to decide between there and MWU-AZ.

Hey all, I'm a DS1 at OHSU. Interviews at OHSU have been going on for a couple weeks. Up to this point, only out of state students have received interviews. It's all part of their plan to increase their funds by hoping more OOS accept and pay the higher tution. For you in-state students, don't worry! I know for a fact that they are looking over in-state applications at this point. You should start receiving invitations very soon. Unlike other schools, OHSU accepts many people post-December 1st. My class has a bunch of people accepted in January/February. Hope this relieves some stress. Any questions, I'll try to answer.

Hey all, I'm a DS1 at OHSU. Interviews at OHSU have been going on for a couple weeks. Up to this point, only out of state students have received interviews. It's all part of their plan to increase their funds by hoping more OOS accept and pay the higher tution. For you in-state students, don't worry! I know for a fact that they are looking over in-state applications at this point. You should start receiving invitations very soon. Unlike other schools, OHSU accepts many people post-December 1st. My class has a bunch of people accepted in January/February. Hope this relieves some stress. Any questions, I'll try to answer.

Thank you for that. It really helps to hear how things are actually going. I can relax and not worry about it so much for now.

Even if you're OOS there's no need to panic. When I was there for the interview in mid-Nov. they said they'd only interviewed about 20 people and that they were moving sloooow this year. By the sound of it I think they still have the huge majority of interviews still ahead of them, for people of all residencies. Good luck! :luck: