**** Official OHSU C/O 2015 Acceptance Thread ****

@iamjackbauer-nice! congrats. What were your stats? Did you apply early in the cycle? GL on your interview.

my mailing date was mid july. 3.9+ GPA 22AA DAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if a competitive letter means an interview? I wouldn't think so... ? Received letter in November and haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't guarantee an interview but I believe it means there is a strong possibility you will receive an interview. Everyone I know who got the letter received an interview invite.

for those of you who got in,
what is your stats like? gpa, dat, etc... (if you don't mind?)
I got an interview coming up and was jus wondering

and what are some good aspects of OHSU??

for those of you who got in,
what is your stats like? gpa, dat, etc... (if you don't mind?)
I got an interview coming up and was jus wondering

and what are some good aspects of OHSU??

sGPA 3.58
oGPA 3.28

DAT 19/19/20 AA/TS/PAT

I completed my AADSAS August 7, 2010 and it mailed on the 13th.

I got my competitive letter in December some time but didn't get an invite to interview until January (Oregonians were late again). I interviewed January 20th and got an offer on the 26th.

I think that it's pretty obvious that the best aspect of OHSU is that the graduates are fairly competent clinicians when they graduate. The location is great. Oregon is an amazing state with a ton of cool things to do.

The down side is that in order to become such a competent clinician, you have to put in a TON of work. Their requirements to graduate are difficult to meet and you have to do almost all of your own lab work. And as far as the cool location I don't think anyone will have much time to get out. Just my opinion.

I've heard that some schools close their doors at say 10 pm. But OHSU is opened to the students 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and I've heard that there are a few students there every hour of every day.

Accepted today via AADSAS! Instate applicant, interviewed last week.

i called today and theyre still handing out interviews but i'm in the dark as to my odds of getting one this late. i got that competitive letter back in nov. anyone know if there are still some OOS spots left??

Accepted today via AADSAS! Instate applicant, interviewed last week.
Wow. I wish I was you. I interviewed mid-January and have not yet been accepted. It makes me kind of sad to see I'm not the first on their list, since they are the first on mine. Anyone know what kind of shot I have now?:shrug:

Wow. I wish I was you. I interviewed mid-January and have not yet been accepted. It makes me kind of sad to see I'm not the first on their list, since they are the first on mine. Anyone know what kind of shot I have now?:shrug:

I'm in the same boat as you. Are you in-state too?

I will be calling OHSU today to withdraw from my seat in the class. Hopefully one of you out-of-staters on the list will be next to get accepted there. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to OHSU last night!

(out of state)

Good luck to you all!

I'm not sure how many people have been accepted to OHSU that are going to attend, but I know of about 10 personally. The class is 75 and I know they're not done interviewing and accepting yet, and that not everyone is on SDN, but I'd like to know if you're not only accepted but also attending. I'm attending and I'd like to get to know some of the people in our class.

I'm not sure how many people have been accepted to OHSU that are going to attend, but I know of about 10 personally. The class is 75 and I know they're not done interviewing and accepting yet, and that not everyone is on SDN, but I'd like to know if you're not only accepted but also attending. I'm attending and I'd like to get to know some of the people in our class.

I'll definitely be going to Portland!

Congrats! I'd love to start getting to know some of my fellow classmates too, however I'm sure we'll get around to it in dental school when we're all stuck together in a small class for 4 years :)

did we interview together? 1/20?

i have an interview with OHSU on the 14th Monday
any help or advice would be appreciated!!

Jschoi-I just had my interview this week and it was very relaxing. Their interview day is very involved with clinic observation and auditing a dental school class after lunch. Just relax and be yourself. That's really the best advice. They don't grill you like some schools and they really want you to go to their school. Not sure if you're familiar with OHSU but it could be hard to find the dental school from the parking structure so get there early. Actually the parking structure itself was the most complex structure I encountered.

For the interview itself, I am used to having multiple people interviewing me at the same time but I had two 30-minute interviews with 2 professors. We talked about basic things like who I am, why dentistry and what I want to do in the long-term and etc. From visiting multiple dental schools it seems that "access to care" is a big issue, especially for public schools. Perhaps have some thoughts on that beforehand? Of course visiting their website and spending some time there would be good, too. Hope this helps.

same here. interviewed in january. quick writing sample, observed the clinic for a bit, interviewed with two separate prof, lunched with dental students, then sat in on a class. it felt way more casual than other interviews i've been on.

the only part that caught me off a bit was how in depth one of the prof had reviewed my app, while the other just browsed through it before interviewing me.

navigating around the area will really be the most difficult part of your day, i'd say.

good luck!

Jschoi-I just had my interview this week and it was very relaxing. Their interview day is very involved with clinic observation and auditing a dental school class after lunch. Just relax and be yourself. That's really the best advice. They don't grill you like some schools and they really want you to go to their school. Not sure if you're familiar with OHSU but it could be hard to find the dental school from the parking structure so get there early. Actually the parking structure itself was the most complex structure I encountered.

For the interview itself, I am used to having multiple people interviewing me at the same time but I had two 30-minute interviews with 2 professors. We talked about basic things like who I am, why dentistry and what I want to do in the long-term and etc. From visiting multiple dental schools it seems that "access to care" is a big issue, especially for public schools. Perhaps have some thoughts on that beforehand? Of course visiting their website and spending some time there would be good, too. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your info, I appreciate that.
But Im not sure if I understood you correctly.
So you mean you had 2 separate interview sessions and each session had 2 different professors and 30 minutes each?

@jschoi - 2 interviewers, one a science professor, the other likely some clinical faculty. Each interview is laid back. As another poster mentioned, one of my interviewers knew my application inside and out -- the other seemed to ask more spontaneous questions. Each interview was very conversational.

@CaptainOgle - I will also be attending OHSU, but you already knew that :) I look forward to meeting everyone else in August.

For those of you that interviewed already...

did u not get a confirmation email from OHSU either?
I was wondering if I'm the only one who didn't get a confirmation email.
And did your interview start at 9am as well?

Thx

No confirmation emails. You have to be there by 9 AM to do some paper work and an info session starts at 9:30. Don't worry, you will be just fine.

I'm OOS, and was sent an invite via email on Feb 14th.

~shai

OOS, interview invite via email on 2/7, interviewed on 2/10, accepted on 2/18! I don't see any FB group yet???

OOS, interview invite via email on 2/7, interviewed on 2/10, accepted on 2/18! I don't see any FB group yet???

same here OOS (Arizona),
interview invite on 1/23/11,
interviewed on 2/14/11,
accepted on 2/18/11 :)

Can someone please start a FB page? "OHSU School of Dentistry Class of 2015" Thanks!

Can someone please start a FB page? "OHSU School of Dentistry Class of 2015" Thanks!

How about you start one? I still haven't really mastered that site... have a tendency to make people think I've died because I forget that I have one and don't respond to messages, oops :). And hey, if you build it they will come.

Has anyone from Oregon been accepted recently? Mid February?

I have heard that residency status at some schools can be updated from out-of-state to in-state after the first year. Does anyone know if this is possible at Oregon? I'm an out-of-state applicant.

I have heard that residency status at some schools can be updated from out-of-state to in-state after the first year. Does anyone know if this is possible at Oregon? I'm an out-of-state applicant.

No, at OHSU, once you're classified as OOS, you pay OOS tuition for four years. You cannot change to in-state.

I know it’s very late in the game for OHSU, I interviewed their about a month ago and haven’t heard anything back!:scared: I was just wondering if there are even any spots still available. I would appreciate the info :)

I interviewed their about a month ago and I haven't heard anything as well. I just talked to someone that works there and they told me that one of the members of the admittance staff said the committee has not gathered recently, so it will take a while. Hopefully there is still spots available and its just a long process.

I interviewed their about a month ago and I haven't heard anything as well. I just talked to someone that works there and they told me that one of the members of the admittance staff said the committee has not gathered recently, so it will take a while. Hopefully there is still spots available and its just a long process.

Thank you for the information, hopefully you are correct. Will good luck to you, let me know if you get an acceptance.:)

Does anyone know if OHSU is still interviewing? I got an interview the last two years with no acceptance and I'm wondering if I'm out of the game this year? My last two interviews happened in Feb and early March so I'm getting nervous... I'm in-state by the way.

Good luck to those of you who got in!

Does anyone know if OHSU is still interviewing? I got an interview the last two years with no acceptance and I'm wondering if I'm out of the game this year? My last two interviews happened in Feb and early March so I'm getting nervous... I'm in-state by the way.

I heard they are still interviewing!!:) I called them up a few days ago:xf: and that is what they told me.

Thanks. I did go meet with Mark Mitchell today and he said they are *thinking* about doing one more round of interviews soon. But everyone is right, they are planning on only accepting 35 in-state this year. They revamped their admissions process, lowered their accepting GPA to 2.7 for fear that they are turning away potentially good dentists by basing their decision solely on academic stats. So for those of us with the low-average for stats can keep hoping. ;)

I'm OOS, but I called today and they told me they are about to send out another round of interview invitations and will interview through April and they haven't decided whether or not to extend to May with that. They wouldn't tell me how many seats are still open, except that there are some. I am still waiting for an interview invite! I would LOVE to go to OHSU!

I'm OOS, but I called today and they told me they are about to send out another round of interview invitations and will interview through April and they haven't decided whether or not to extend to May with that. They wouldn't tell me how many seats are still open, except that there are some. I am still waiting for an interview invite! I would LOVE to go to OHSU!

Thanks for the info! We can only hope! :xf:

I called today and can confirm that they will be interviewing through April and maybe May. I also have good news for the in-state hopefuls: there are still in-state seats open.

Any idea when they will send out the next batch of interview invites or has anyone received an invite within the last week? Come on OHSU!! Goodluck to everyone still waiting to hear back from them!

I got in! Yay!
Interview invite Mar 23, interviewed Apr 8, Accepted Apr 12th! :)