-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
***Official PASS 2025 Prosthodontic Residency Interviews/Information***
Started by DentalProsthAspirant
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi currently applying this cycle, I made a preliminary list of schools I want to apply to mainly due to location, currently sitting at 11. Would you say that is a good number or on the lower side? How many schools did you apply to when you were applying?Current prosth resident. Same as last year, if anyone has any questions, I can try my best to help answer them. Good luck everyone!
Also, is it normal to not get your app submitted until end of June? I’m still only waiting for my letters of rec and IEF so getting worried it’ll be late
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
11 is a good number and actually from my experience with other residents across the board, actually near the higher end. I applied to very few schools (less than 5) because I was very specific to what I wanted from a program. I actually visited a bunch of programs prior to applying and those that I liked I applied to, those I couldn't see myself going to, I didn't even bother applying since I didn't want to waste money/time on the application.Hi currently applying this cycle, I made a preliminary list of schools I want to apply to mainly due to location, currently sitting at 11. Would you say that is a good number or on the lower side? How many schools did you apply to when you were applying?
Also, is it normal to not get your app submitted until end of June? I’m still only waiting for my letters of rec and IEF so getting worried it’ll be late
Yes, it is normal. Any time before the deadlines for the program is generally okay. Some programs don't even start reviewing applicants until all apps are submitted. I would say applying earlier does have it's benefits since you can also verify with the program if all of your material has been submitted properly.
DentalProsthAspirant
Full Member
Hi thank you for your support! From your experience, what do you think prosth programs look for in applicants? Any advice?Current prosth resident. Same as last year, if anyone has any questions, I can try my best to help answer them. Good luck everyone!
Each program will look for something different. Some are more resident focused where personality and how well you get along with the other residents are emphasized. Some look for experience and clinical skills. Some look for research, and some combinations of stuff. It is really hard to say because each program can be quite different. Looking at current residents there may help determine what they focus on.Hi thank you for your support! From your experience, what do you think prosth programs look for in applicants? Any advice?
Overall, if you are honest, have a bright personality, and can show you can work hard, I think that would be a good foundation to start. Prosth in general is one of the hardest, if not the hardest specialty alongside OMFS to get through. Showing that you can be resilient is also something that many would consider desirable.
Thank you very much. It was helpful. Is there some reasons you think Prosth is the one of hardest specialty? In addition, I was wondering what do you think about Prosth residency of USC and BU.Each program will look for something different. Some are more resident focused where personality and how well you get along with the other residents are emphasized. Some look for experience and clinical skills. Some look for research, and some combinations of stuff. It is really hard to say because each program can be quite different. Looking at current residents there may help determine what they focus on.
Overall, if you are honest, have a bright personality, and can show you can work hard, I think that would be a good foundation to start. Prosth in general is one of the hardest, if not the hardest specialty alongside OMFS to get through. Showing that you can be resilient is also something that many would consider desirable.
Hi . I need help. Can you please tell me what Indiana university see in one profile for foreign tranied dentist?Current prosth resident. Same as last year, if anyone has any questions, I can try my best to help answer them. Good luck everyone!
Prosth is a restorative specialist, this means that we have to work with ALL specialties (outside of Peds and in rare cases sometimes with Peds if its maxfac). That we means we have to cover literature from all specialties, not just restorative. Because most other specialties are very focused on their niche, they don't understand the big picture and the complexity of the cases you plan. You will be babysitting surgeons (both perio and OS) so they don't screw up your cases and often teaching them how to place implants or even what are implants in general. For example, most OS programs are extremely poor in educating them about dentoalveolar since they spend so much time on trauma, cancer etc depending on where the program is. It is even worse for 6 year programs because they focus 4 years on med school. Their restorative knowledge is essentially at a 4th year dental student level and they will be trying to place implants on extremely complex patients of yours.Thank you very much. It was helpful. Is there some reasons you think Prosth is the one of hardest specialty? In addition, I was wondering what do you think about Prosth residency of USC and BU.
Additionally, as Prosth you are the end of the line for almost ALL restorative, not a specific niche (like endo only takes RCTs). That means the possible complications that can happen with GPs is way higher and there are just so much troubleshooting you have to do in order to solve those problems. You will have to learn how to do almost all the lab work in order to understand where people make mistakes and how you can correct them. This is extremely time consuming and comprehensive. On top of labwork, you'll be reading literature, making presentations, teaching, seeing patients, attending class etc. At my program, Prosth works more hours than OS, that's how much time is involved with learning. Is this for every program? No. But the more you do, the more your learn and will excel out of your program. Not all Prosth programs are created equal.
I know both USC and BU are extremely expensive and involve quite a bit of digital dentistry, especially BU. USC is quite implant heavy because they don't really believe in RPDs, but they use rather old implant systems. They both take a lot of residents (like 5 residents per year I think?) and are non-match. This can be a pro or a con depending on how you look at it. Again, a lot of residencies are what you make of it so it's hard to say if they are good or bad.
I do not know. I don't think anyone will really know an answer to this question. I don't know you or your application and I don't know how Indiana takes applicants or if they have different criteria for foreign applicants.Hi . I need help. Can you please tell me what Indiana university see in one profile for foreign tranied dentist?
2025 applicant
New Member
Hi, I applied to the Prosthodontics program at Ohio University. They state at their website the following " To be invited for an interview, applicants must be applying exclusively to programs participating in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program. We feel that residency program participation in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program is fair and beneficial to applicants. We would like to ask the candidates to indicate in writing that they will only apply to match programs."Current prosth resident. Same as last year, if anyone has any questions, I can try my best to help answer them. Good luck everyone!
Does that mean I cannot apply for the Prosthodontics program at Boston University or any other University that is Not participant in MATCH?
What if I applies to different program like Periodontics at Boston? Would that also be not allowed, if I want to get Invited to Ohio?
Hi, I applied to the Prosthodontics program at Ohio University. They state at their website the following " To be invited for an interview, applicants must be applying exclusively to programs participating in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program. We feel that residency program participation in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program is fair and beneficial to applicants. We would like to ask the candidates to indicate in writing that they will only apply to match programs."
Does that mean I cannot apply for the Prosthodontics program at Boston University or any other University that is Not participant in MATCH?
What if I applies to different program like Periodontics at Boston? Would that also be not allowed, if I want to get Invited to Ohio?
It's not that you can't, but rather you should probably avoid doing so. Prosth is a very small field, almost all the program directors know each other. Prosth is also one of the most networking fields as well because the community is smaller than other specialties. I still meet some program directors at conferences that remember me and my time that I interviewed with them.
In this instance if Ohio University does not want you to apply for non-Match, then you probably shouldn't if you want to go to Ohio. Most program directors have the means to find out.
this statement is so wired. Do you mean that they are going to check with non-match programs one by one for each applicant?It's not that you can't, but rather you should probably avoid doing so. Prosth is a very small field, almost all the program directors know each other. Prosth is also one of the most networking fields as well because the community is smaller than other specialties. I still meet some program directors at conferences that remember me and my time that I interviewed with them.
In this instance if Ohio University does not want you to apply for non-Match, then you probably shouldn't if you want to go to Ohio. Most program directors have the means to find out.
No, bench tests are part of the interview.Do the programs charge a fee for their bench tests? If yes, what is the range?
And Do all the program send the confirmation email upon submission on the PASS website?
Not all programs will give you confirmations. You will need to follow-up to ensure your application is complete.
I am not saying they will or won't do that. I am saying they have the means to. The world is quite small and even in larger specialties, there have been offers that have been rescinded due to people trying to game the system. For example, endodontics is non-Match so usually once you get your first offer, you accept that offer and shouldn't interview at anymore locations. There are multiple examples of people that accepted their first offer, but it wasn't their top choice and interviewed at other programs after and then suddenly the first offer was rescinded because they found out. It's just not worth the risk to test. If you want to do Match and non-Match then do it, but don't apply to Ohio/similar programs that care about this or stick to only Match/only non-Match.this statement is so wired. Do you mean that they are going to check with non-match programs one by one for each applicant?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
General. Your personal statement is sent to every school so if you make it specific then you are turning down your chances at basically every school except the one you are making it specific for.When you write the personal statement is it good to write school specific or a general PS ?
Not entirely sure. If you are worried, just send an email to ask.Do we have to email and ask each school if our application is complete regarding the supplemental as well? I haven't received any updates so far. Thank you in advance.
DentalProsthAspirant
Full Member
Which schools have a bench test?
DentalProsthAspirant
Full Member
Do you have some information about the program at UConn?I do not know. I don't think anyone will really know an answer to this question. I don't know you or your application and I don't know how Indiana takes applicants or if they have different criteria for foreign applicants.
Heavy surgical prosth program. Dr. Bidra is a leading figure in the implant industry. They have a more aggressive mindset for tx planning since it revolves around implant Prosthodontics.Do you have some information about the program at UConn?
Everyone, y'all should really interact with each other more. I am happy to answer questions, but its kind of sad how I'm basically half of this thread's replies. A lot of these questions can also be answered in previous threads. I think this year and last year it has been the worst in terms of activity. Do some research and help out your fellow applicants please. I will be taking a break from answering questions until there is more activity so please help each other out.
So how many d4s on this thread applying? As well as any fresh grads, internationals, those working for a couple years? And why pros?
Ill go first. Graduated in 2022, did an aegd and been working. Im an artistic type, love drawing, really working with my hands so thats what drew me to pros first (no pun intended) and hope to do maxface one day
Ill go first. Graduated in 2022, did an aegd and been working. Im an artistic type, love drawing, really working with my hands so thats what drew me to pros first (no pun intended) and hope to do maxface one day
DentalProsthAspirant
Full Member
D4 here! Applying to prosth because I love the hands on involvement and all the art involved. Good luck!So how many d4s on this thread applying? As well as any fresh grads, internationals, those working for a couple years? And why pros?
Ill go first. Graduated in 2022, did an aegd and been working. Im an artistic type, love drawing, really working with my hands so thats what drew me to pros first (no pun intended) and hope to do maxface one day
Anyone applylng to UNC, were you able to get a response from them bc i sent in my photo and didnt get a reply if they actually got it or not. And from their website, they also want nbde scores sent to them but there’s no email where to, unless sendig them to PASS is enough
DentalProsthAspirant
Full Member
Anyone heard back about the supplemental from NOVA?
Yeah this is the link i was given to fill out the supplemental: Welcome
And the instructions:
For all Post Doctorate Programs, under Degree Level select "Certificate" and select the appropriate program you are applying to under the Academic Program dropdown.
Make sure to select Graduate account.
And the instructions:
For all Post Doctorate Programs, under Degree Level select "Certificate" and select the appropriate program you are applying to under the Academic Program dropdown.
Make sure to select Graduate account.
Anyone heard back about the supplemental from NOVA?
Here's the most complete updated list of Prosthodontics Programs for clarity:
Augusta University -
Boston University -
Columbia University -
Harvard University -
Indiana University -
Loma Linda University -
Louisiana State University -
Marquette University -
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine -
NOVA Southeastern University -
New York University -
Ohio State University -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine -
Stony Brook University -
Temple University -
Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry -
Tufts University -
University of Alabama at Birmingham -
University of California, Los Angeles -
University of California, San Francisco -
University of Connecticut Health Center -
University of Florida, Gainesville -
University of Illinois at Chicago -
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -
University of Maryland -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota -
University of New York at Buffalo -
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -
University of Pennsylvania -
University of Pittsburgh -
University of Puerto Rico -
University of Rochester, Eastman Institute for Oral Health -
University of Southern California -
University of Tennessee Health Science Center -
University of Texas at San Antonio -
University of Washington -
University of Texas-Health Science Center at Houston -
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System/West LA -
Veterans Affairs, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston -
Veteran Affairs, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Great Lakes, Milwaukee -
Veteran Affairs, New York Harbor Healthcare System, NY Campus -
West Virginia University -
Augusta University -
Boston University -
Columbia University -
Harvard University -
Indiana University -
Loma Linda University -
Louisiana State University -
Marquette University -
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine -
NOVA Southeastern University -
New York University -
Ohio State University -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine -
Stony Brook University -
Temple University -
Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry -
Tufts University -
University of Alabama at Birmingham -
University of California, Los Angeles -
University of California, San Francisco -
University of Connecticut Health Center -
University of Florida, Gainesville -
University of Illinois at Chicago -
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -
University of Maryland -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota -
University of New York at Buffalo -
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -
University of Pennsylvania -
University of Pittsburgh -
University of Puerto Rico -
University of Rochester, Eastman Institute for Oral Health -
University of Southern California -
University of Tennessee Health Science Center -
University of Texas at San Antonio -
University of Washington -
University of Texas-Health Science Center at Houston -
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System/West LA -
Veterans Affairs, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston -
Veteran Affairs, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Great Lakes, Milwaukee -
Veteran Affairs, New York Harbor Healthcare System, NY Campus -
West Virginia University -
Last edited:
DentalProsthAspirant
Full Member
Did anyone apply to UIC and hear back about the status of their application?
I applied too. I haven't heard anything so far.Did anyone apply to UIC and hear back about the status of their application?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone who applied to the VA in Houston University of Texas in Houston, is there a supplemental form we need to fill out? I emailed them, but didn’t receive a reply
nikanmardani
Full Member
Hi everyone. It is my pleasure to be part of this forum. I am an internationally trained dentist (DDS) trying to get into prosthodontics residency this cycle. Anyone applying to the University of Alabama this cycle?
Last edited:
nikanmardani
Full Member
Neither do I. I even haven’t received anything about how to pay supplement fee! Have you received that?I applied too. I haven't heard anything so far.
nikanmardani
Full Member
Hi all. I have a question regarding the University of Florida. I have noticed that in addition to the PASS, we are supposed to submit a supplement application.
Part of that supplement application is the letters of recommendations. Now, my question is whether we need to ask our evaluators to submit those letters into the supplement application as well since they have already submitted the letters through the PASS application. Appreciate your support!
Part of that supplement application is the letters of recommendations. Now, my question is whether we need to ask our evaluators to submit those letters into the supplement application as well since they have already submitted the letters through the PASS application. Appreciate your support!
Hi, I have not received anything from their end. What I understand is they don't have any supplemental fee. Have they mentioned anything about that in their website?Neither do I. I even haven’t received anything about how to pay supplement fee! Have you received that?
No, you do not have to since it is already in the PASS.Hi all. I have a question regarding the University of Florida. I have noticed that in addition to the PASS, we are supposed to submit a supplement application.
Part of that supplement application is the letters of recommendations. Now, my question is whether we need to ask our evaluators to submit those letters into the supplement application as well since they have already submitted the letters through the PASS application. Appreciate your support!
I have applied here!Hi everyone. It is my pleasure to be part of this forum. I am an internationally trained dentist (DDS) trying to get into prosthodontics residency this cycle. Anyone applying to the University of Alabama this cycle?
Any interview invites received by anyone until now ?
Not yet. When do they normally send invites?Any interview invites received by anyone until now ?
I think usually end of August/beg of SeptNot yet. When do they normally send invites?
DentalProsthAspirant
Full Member
Augusta University -
Boston University -
Columbia University -
Harvard University -
Indiana University -
Loma Linda University -
Louisiana State University -
Marquette University -
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine -
NOVA Southeastern University -
New York University -
Ohio State University -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine -
Stony Brook University -
Temple University -
Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry -
Tufts University -
University of Alabama at Birmingham -
University of California, Los Angeles -
University of California, San Francisco -
University of Connecticut Health Center -
University of Florida, Gainesville -
University of Illinois at Chicago -
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -
University of Maryland -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota -
University of New York at Buffalo -
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -
University of Pennsylvania -
University of Pittsburgh -
University of Puerto Rico -
University of Rochester, Eastman Institute for Oral Health -
University of Southern California -
University of Tennessee Health Science Center -
University of Texas at San Antonio -
University of Washington -
University of Texas-Health Science Center at Houston - September 8 (Pre-interview dinner) and 9 (Interview)
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System/West LA -
Veterans Affairs, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston -
Veteran Affairs, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Great Lakes, Milwaukee -
Veteran Affairs, New York Harbor Healthcare System, NY Campus -
West Virginia University -
Boston University -
Columbia University -
Harvard University -
Indiana University -
Loma Linda University -
Louisiana State University -
Marquette University -
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine -
NOVA Southeastern University -
New York University -
Ohio State University -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine -
Stony Brook University -
Temple University -
Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry -
Tufts University -
University of Alabama at Birmingham -
University of California, Los Angeles -
University of California, San Francisco -
University of Connecticut Health Center -
University of Florida, Gainesville -
University of Illinois at Chicago -
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -
University of Maryland -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota -
University of New York at Buffalo -
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -
University of Pennsylvania -
University of Pittsburgh -
University of Puerto Rico -
University of Rochester, Eastman Institute for Oral Health -
University of Southern California -
University of Tennessee Health Science Center -
University of Texas at San Antonio -
University of Washington -
University of Texas-Health Science Center at Houston - September 8 (Pre-interview dinner) and 9 (Interview)
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System/West LA -
Veterans Affairs, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston -
Veteran Affairs, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Great Lakes, Milwaukee -
Veteran Affairs, New York Harbor Healthcare System, NY Campus -
West Virginia University -
Did they send the interview invitations?Augusta University -
Boston University -
Columbia University -
Harvard University -
Indiana University -
Loma Linda University -
Louisiana State University -
Marquette University -
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine -
NOVA Southeastern University -
New York University -
Ohio State University -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine -
Stony Brook University -
Temple University -
Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry -
Tufts University -
University of Alabama at Birmingham -
University of California, Los Angeles -
University of California, San Francisco -
University of Connecticut Health Center -
University of Florida, Gainesville -
University of Illinois at Chicago -
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -
University of Maryland -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota -
University of New York at Buffalo -
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -
University of Pennsylvania -
University of Pittsburgh -
University of Puerto Rico -
University of Rochester, Eastman Institute for Oral Health -
University of Southern California -
University of Tennessee Health Science Center -
University of Texas at San Antonio -
University of Washington -
University of Texas-Health Science Center at Houston - September 8 (Pre-interview dinner) and 9 (Interview)
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System/West LA -
Veterans Affairs, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston -
Veteran Affairs, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Great Lakes, Milwaukee -
Veteran Affairs, New York Harbor Healthcare System, NY Campus -
West Virginia University -
DentalProsthAspirant
Full Member
YesDid they send the interview invitations?
Oh wow their deadline didn’t even pass yet lol
nikanmardani
Full Member
Their deadline was today not September 1. They sent an email to everyone couple of weeks ago and mentioned that.Oh wow their deadline didn’t even pass yet lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Didnt know that, didnt get an email either haha but that makes senseTheir deadline was today not September 1. They sent an email to everyone couple of weeks ago and mentioned that.
oh is it? I didn't receive an email about the deadline either. Did they send any completion email after applying?Their deadline was today not September 1. They sent an email to everyone couple of weeks ago and mentioned that.
nikanmardani
Full Member
I didn’t apply to this school but as I mentioned I received the following email. I guess they have sent it to everyone:Didnt know that, didnt get an email either haha but that makes sense
NOTE: application deadline is August 1, 2024. Please have all documents uploaded, and submit the supplemental application and the $74 application fee by that date.
Prosthodontics Program Admissions | School ofDentistry (uthscsa.edu)
Regards,
Academic Programs Administrator for Advanced Education Prosthodontics
Thank you, i applied but didnt get that email so weird. Anyways good luck everyone this cycleI didn’t apply to this school but as I mentioned I received the following email. I guess they have sent it to everyone:
NOTE: application deadline is August 1, 2024. Please have all documents uploaded, and submit the supplemental application and the $74 application fee by that date.
Prosthodontics Program Admissions | School ofDentistry (uthscsa.edu)
Regards,
Academic Programs Administrator for Advanced Education Prosthodontics
this is UTHSCSA - San Antonio right. But the interview invitations were sent from Houston I believe.I didn’t apply to this school but as I mentioned I received the following email. I guess they have sent it to everyone:
NOTE: application deadline is August 1, 2024. Please have all documents uploaded, and submit the supplemental application and the $74 application fee by that date.
Prosthodontics Program Admissions | School ofDentistry (uthscsa.edu)
Regards,
Academic Programs Administrator for Advanced Education Prosthodontics
Similar threads
- Replies
- 77
- Views
- 17K
- Replies
- 293
- Views
- 57K
- Replies
- 196
- Views
- 68K
- Replies
- 847
- Views
- 267K