*****Official PASS 2027 Endodontic Residency Interviews/Information***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Schools that have sent offers:
  1. Ohio State University - Offers sent
  2. VA New York - Offers sent
  3. Saint Louis University - Offers sent
  4. University of Minnesota - Offers sent
  5. University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
  6. Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
  7. University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
  8. University of Florida - Offers sent
  9. Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
  10. Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
  11. Stony Brook University - Offers sent
  12. University of Louisville - Offers sent
  13. Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
  14. University of Washington - Offers sent
  15. Indiana University - Offers sent
  16. University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
  17. University of North Carolina - Offers sent
  18. University of Kentucky - Offers sent
  19. Louisiana State University - Offers sent
  20. University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
  21. University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
  22. University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
  23. New York University - Offers sent
  24. University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
  25. University of Iowa - Offers sent
  26. University of Maryland - Offers sent
  27. Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
  28. University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent

Interviews (according to date)

Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - Interview (July 13)
University of Nebraska - Interview (July 15th and 16th)
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) -Interview (July 15th, July 16th)
Virginia Commonwealth University - Interview (July 16)
University of California at Los Angeles - Interview (July 17)
University of Pennsylvania - Interview (July 20, July 22)
Nova Southeastern University - Interview (July 20th and 29th)
Tufts University - Interviews (July 20, 21, 22)
University of Southern California- Interviews (July 20, 21)
Temple University - Interview (July 22nd)
Marquette University - Interview (July 24)
Harvard University - Interview (July 30, 31)
AIDM - Interview (August 1st)
Boston University - Interview (?)


Invites not yet sent:

Loma Linda University -
University of the Pacific -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Columbia University -
University of Connecticut -
West Virginia University -
Southern Illinois University -
University of Detroit Mercy -
University of Michigan -
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico -
 
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent

Interviews (according to date)
University of Nebraska - Interview (July 15th and 16th)
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) -Interview (July 15th, July 16th)
Virginia Commonwealth University - Interview (July 16)
University of California at Los Angeles - Interview (July 17)
University of Pennsylvania - Interview (July 20, July 22)
Nova Southeastern University - Interview (July 20th and 29th)
Tufts University - Interviews (July 20, 21, 22)
University of Southern California- Interviews (July 20, 21)
Temple University - Interview (July 22nd)
Marquette University - Interview (July 24)
Harvard University - Interview (July 30, 31)
AIDM - Interview (August 1st)
Boston University - Interview (?)


Invites not yet sent:

Loma Linda University -
University of the Pacific -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Columbia University -
University of Connecticut -
West Virginia University -
Southern Illinois University -
University of Detroit Mercy -
University of Michigan -
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico -
 
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent
*New*University of Michigan- Offers Sent

Interviews (according to date)
University of Nebraska - Interview (July 15th and 16th)
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) -Interview (July 15th, July 16th)
Virginia Commonwealth University - Interview (July 16)
University of California at Los Angeles - Interview (July 17)
University of Pennsylvania - Interview (July 20, July 22)
Nova Southeastern University - Interview (July 20th and 29th)
Tufts University - Interviews (July 20, 21, 22)
University of Southern California- Interviews (July 20, 21)
Temple University - Interview (July 22nd)
Marquette University - Interview (July 24)
Harvard University - Interview (July 30, 31)
AIDM - Interview (August 1st)
Boston University - Interview (?)


Invites not yet sent:

Loma Linda University -
University of the Pacific -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Columbia University -
University of Connecticut -
West Virginia University -
Southern Illinois University -
University of Detroit Mercy -
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico -
 
What is the likelihood that the PD at the location you’re interviewing at, will contact the PD of grad endo at your graduating school?
Which programs are known for this?
 
What is the likelihood that the PD at the location you’re interviewing at, will contact the PD of grad endo at your graduating school?
Which programs are known for this?
I would assume pretty low unless they're really good buddies or something. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd assume most interviews are anywhere from like 8-10 people. That's potentially 10 different directors an already busy PD is contacting. Not to mention that it may all be for nothing as you don't know if that PD was even there when said interviewee was there.
 
Just to clarify does everyone who applied receive that Email from Columbia saying your application has been selected and forwarded for review or do some people not receive that?
 
What is the likelihood that the PD at the location you’re interviewing at, will contact the PD of grad endo at your graduating school?
Which programs are known for this?
Was your program director affiliated with the undergrad clinic, or do they know you somehow? If the answer is no, then I doubt they would reach out. At my dental school the PD had no idea I even existed. That being said, if I were reviewing your application and saw you had one of my buddies write something on your application, I would probably call to see if you’re worth pursuing.
 
Last edited:
Just to clarify does everyone who applied receive that Email from Columbia saying your application has been selected and forwarded for review or do some people not receive that?
The only thing I received is that my app was considered complete, so maybe that means you progressed to the next step
 
I understand, and I would obviously attend the school that selects me. But in reality, what are some schools that give more training and the residents feel comfortable doing procedures out of dental school?
 
hello guys, i will like to think we all have dedicated so much time into education and profession as dentist or dentist to be. ON the interview day please come ready to shine and let the PD know you mean business

It appears some few applicants have received multiple interview invitations. If you have received multiple interview invitations, It implies the PD's see something in you that they like.

Please do not take the interview for granted, I will recommend you prepare for every interview as if it was the only one you got.

Brush up on your interview skills by researching about each institutions core values, use words from their mission statement when you answer questions like "why do you want to attend this school", prepare in front of a mirror or significant other, avoid using slangs.

Be confident when you answer interview questions and try to maintain eye contact.

Read your personal statement, my PD said some candidates gave answers that were contrary to their personal statements.

Do not answer a question with “I do not know” its okay to tell the interview panel that you need some time to think about a question and move on to the next question but remember to go back to the question you skipped

As an introvert myself, it can be hard to talk to other applicants. Put ur best foot forward and interact with current residents, other candidates and support staff on your interview day and please try your best to interact and be friendly to all the above because PD do listen to them and their input can influence your standing on the PD list

Best of luck to you all
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent
University of Michigan- Offers Sent

Interviews (according to date)
University of Nebraska - Interview (July 15th and 16th)
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) -Interview (July 15th, July 16th)
Virginia Commonwealth University - Interview (July 16)
University of California at Los Angeles - Interview (July 17)
University of Pennsylvania - Interview (July 20, July 22)
Nova Southeastern University - Interview (July 20th and 29th)
Tufts University - Interviews (July 20, 21, 22)
University of Southern California- Interviews (July 20, 21)
Temple University - Interview (July 22nd)
Marquette University - Interview (July 24)
Harvard University - Interview (July 30, 31)
AIDM - Interview (August 1st)
Boston University - Interview (?)
University of Detroit Mercy - Interview (July 27)


Invites not yet sent:

Loma Linda University -
University of the Pacific -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Columbia University -
University of Connecticut -
West Virginia University -
Southern Illinois University -
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico -
 
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent
University of Michigan- Offers Sent
**NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - Offers Sent

Interviews (according to date)
University of Nebraska - Interview (July 15th and 16th)
Virginia Commonwealth University - Interview (July 16)
University of California at Los Angeles - Interview (July 17)
University of Pennsylvania - Interview (July 20, July 22)
Nova Southeastern University - Interview (July 20th and 29th)
Tufts University - Interviews (July 20, 21, 22)
University of Southern California- Interviews (July 20, 21)
Temple University - Interview (July 22nd)
Marquette University - Interview (July 24)
Harvard University - Interview (July 30, 31)
AIDM - Interview (August 1st)
Boston University - Interview (?)
University of Detroit Mercy - Interview (July 27)


Invites not yet sent:

Loma Linda University -
University of the Pacific -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Columbia University -
University of Connecticut -
West Virginia University -
Southern Illinois University -
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico -
 
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent
University of Michigan- Offers Sent
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - Offers Sent
** University of California at Los Angeles - Offers Sent

Interviews (according to date)
University of Nebraska - Interview (July 15th and 16th)
Virginia Commonwealth University - Interview (July 16)
University of Pennsylvania - Interview (July 20, July 22)
Nova Southeastern University - Interview (July 20th and 29th)
Tufts University - Interviews (July 20, 21, 22)
University of Southern California- Interviews (July 20, 21)
Temple University - Interview (July 22nd)
Marquette University - Interview (July 24)
Harvard University - Interview (July 30, 31)
AIDM - Interview (August 1st)
Boston University - Interview (?)
University of Detroit Mercy - Interview (July 27)


Invites not yet sent:

Loma Linda University -
University of the Pacific -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Columbia University -
University of Connecticut -
West Virginia University -
Southern Illinois University -
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico -
 
Schools that have sent offers:
Ohio State University - Offers sent
VA New York - Offers sent
Saint Louis University - Offers sent
University of Minnesota - Offers sent
University of Pittsburgh - Offers sent
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Offers sent
University of Texas at San Antonio - Offers sent
University of Florida - Offers sent
Oregon Health & Science University - Offers sent
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Offers sent
Stony Brook University - Offers sent
University of Louisville - Offers sent
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - Offers sent
University of Washington - Offers sent
Indiana University - Offers sent
University of Missouri-Kansas City - Offers sent
University of North Carolina - Offers sent
University of Kentucky - Offers sent
Louisiana State University - Offers sent
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Offers sent
University of California at San Francisco - Offers sent
University of Illinois at Chicago - Offers sent
New York University - Offers sent
University of Alabama at Birmingham - Offers sent
University of Iowa - Offers sent
University of Maryland - Offers sent
Medical University of South Carolina - Offers sent
University of Texas at Houston - Offers Sent
Georgia Regents University (Augusta) - offers sent
University of Michigan- Offers Sent
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - Offers Sent
University of California at Los Angeles - Offers Sent
**University of Nebraska - Offers Sent

Interviews (according to date)
Virginia Commonwealth University - Interview (July 16)
University of Pennsylvania - Interview (July 20, July 22)
Nova Southeastern University - Interview (July 20th and 29th)
Tufts University - Interviews (July 20, 21, 22)
University of Southern California- Interviews (July 20, 21)
Temple University - Interview (July 22nd)
Marquette University - Interview (July 24)
Harvard University - Interview (July 30, 31)
AIDM - Interview (August 1st)
Boston University - Interview (?)
University of Detroit Mercy - Interview (July 27)


Invites not yet sent:

Loma Linda University -
University of the Pacific -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Columbia University -
University of Connecticut -
West Virginia University -
Southern Illinois University -
Case Western Reserve University -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico -
 
UCLA sent out the offers already?


UCLA sends out offers the same night usually.

Edit: I also want to add and mention/ask: do you think a program can truly get to know you by interviewing you on zoom for 20 minutes? Versus other programs that require you to spend an entire day visiting the school, getting to know the residents, sometimes having to do hands on tests, etc.

Baffles me that UCLA doesn't actually get to know the people they're interviewing. They strictly pick their top 3 on paper on confirm via the "interviews" that they can hold a conversation.

Everyone else is an excuse for them to say "well, we interviewed"
 
UCLA sends out offers the same night usually.

Edit: I also want to add and mention/ask: do you think a program can truly get to know you by interviewing you on zoom for 20 minutes? Versus other programs that require you to spend an entire day visiting the school, getting to know the residents, sometimes having to do hands on tests, etc.

Baffles me that UCLA doesn't actually get to know the people they're interviewing. They strictly pick their top 3 on paper on confirm via the "interviews" that they can hold a conversation.

Everyone else is an excuse for them to say "well, we interviewed"
I think we have to accept the reality that sometimes the odds can be stacked against you at certain schools. I've heard of instances where candidates are surrounded by a bunch of alumni and current students of that interviewing school. I also knew an instance where a couple of alumni and a current student were applying, program had a heads up of this, interviewed them super early in the cycle, and of course they accepted. I'm sure that didn't stop the school from accepting applicants and taking their secondary fee. Sad reality, it seems
 
I got the NYU langone interview but was not accepted in the program, great atmosphere residents were very nice faculty were nice also. Some tips for future applicants.
I applied 5x to this program with great letters of recommendation and a strong resume of going to every single AAE meeting for 4 years straight. The truth is there are so many qualified applicants and it really is an unfair process. All the people interviewing with me were such great candidates with strong backgrounds.

As for the interview itself, They asked questions like tell me something about yourself thats not in your resume, whats your weakness, why endo, what was a bad situation you had in private practice and how did you deal with it. how many endos do you do a month. nothing intimidating, really a straightforward easy conversation.

Also take into consideration this is a paid program where you dont need to take out loans and the schedule is MON-THURS , fridays are off and there is saturday clinic once a month for first years.

Good luck to everyone this can be a very stressful process, for my case going to a paid program is the only thing that makes sense for me since i am making around 700k as an associate working 4-5 days a week.
 
I got the NYU langone interview but was not accepted in the program, great atmosphere residents were very nice faculty were nice also. Some tips for future applicants.
I applied 5x to this program with great letters of recommendation and a strong resume of going to every single AAE meeting for 4 years straight. The truth is there are so many qualified applicants and it really is an unfair process. All the people interviewing with me were such great candidates with strong backgrounds.

As for the interview itself, They asked questions like tell me something about yourself thats not in your resume, whats your weakness, why endo, what was a bad situation you had in private practice and how did you deal with it. how many endos do you do a month. nothing intimidating, really a straightforward easy conversation.

Also take into consideration this is a paid program where you dont need to take out loans and the schedule is MON-THURS , fridays are off and there is saturday clinic once a month for first years.

Good luck to everyone this can be a very stressful process, for my case going to a paid program is the only thing that makes sense for me since i am making around 700k as an associate working 4-5 days a week.
Don't go back to residency if you're doing 700k as an associate. You've got a good gig.
 
Good luck to everyone this can be a very stressful process, for my case going to a paid program is the only thing that makes sense for me since i am making around 700k as an associate working 4-5 days a week.
Hold on my friend. You have it all wrong. Money obviously isnt your motivating factor. You can go to ANY endo program by saving up for 6 months. Dont limit yourself to ONE program because they pay you less than 50k a year.

Now asking if it is worth it to go to ENDO giving up that gig is a different question that only you yourself can answer...
 
Hold on my friend. You have it all wrong. Money obviously isnt your motivating factor. You can go to ANY endo program by saving up for 6 months. Dont limit yourself to ONE program because they pay you less than 50k a year.

Now asking if it is worth it to go to ENDO giving up that gig is a different question that only you yourself can answer...
So here's the reality of the situation, my set up is very good took me 6 years to build , and the reason why i wouldnt go to any school based progam is because it doesnt make sense for me to lose out on potential earned income of around 1.4 million ( from not working 2 years ) as well as taking out 200k in loans for the program. I have a family i need to support and I just dont have the luxury of dropping everything and live off my savings and loans , etc.

The reason why i keep on applying to only hospital based endo programs is because i want to learn more advanced endodontic procudures, apico , file retrieval , regeneration , etc.

So for me im enjoying the ride and will keep on applying as many years as it takes. looking back in hindsight if i knew i wanted to do endo during dental school i wouldve played everything out differently but it is what it is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So here's the reality of the situation, my set up is very good took me 6 years to build , and the reason why i wouldnt go to any school based progam is because it doesnt make sense for me to lose out on potential earned income of around 1.4 million ( from not working 2 years ) as well as taking out 200k in loans for the program. I have a family i need to support and I just dont have the luxury of dropping everything and live off my savings and loans , etc.

The reason why i keep on applying to only hospital based endo programs is because i want to learn more advanced endodontic procudures, apico , file retrieval , regeneration , etc.

So for me im enjoying the ride and will keep on applying as many years as it takes. looking back in hindsight if i knew i wanted to do endo during dental school i wouldve played everything out differently but it is what it is.
Well if you don't have the luxury of dropping everything and living off your savings, then no matter which program, paid or not, going back to school for two years does not make sense.
 
I know there are a lot of people here who have applied for multiple cycles, so I’m hoping to get some honest advice.


This was my third application cycle. I applied to 27 Endo programs, got 2 interviews, and unfortunately didn’t match again.


A little about me. I’m an international dentist who completed an advanced standing DDS program in the US. I graduated with about $502k in student loans. I’ve been working as a general dentist for the past year, and my take home this year was around $330k.


I really do love Endo. That’s why I’ve kept applying. But I’m at a point where I honestly don’t know how much longer I should keep waiting.


I have a toddler, a family to support, and no financial support other than what I earn and the loans I would have to take. Going back to residency would mean taking on even more debt while giving up two years of income. By the time I finish residency, I could easily be looking at $800k to $900k in total loans with accrued interest.


Every night I think about those numbers, and it’s honestly scary.


My faculty and mentors keep telling me that it’ll be worth it in the end, and I believe they genuinely mean that. But they were also at a very different stage in life when they went back to school. Most of them didn’t have the same financial responsibilities or a young family depending on them.


I’m especially hoping to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation, particularly female dentists who are mothers. How did you make this decision? At what point did you decide to keep applying, or decide it wasn’t the right choice anymore?


I still want to become an endodontist. That hasn’t changed. I’m just trying to figure out if continuing to chase this dream is the right decision for my family and our future.


I would really appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice. Thank you.
 
I know there are a lot of people here who have applied for multiple cycles, so I’m hoping to get some honest advice.


This was my third application cycle. I applied to 27 Endo programs, got 2 interviews, and unfortunately didn’t match again.


A little about me. I’m an international dentist who completed an advanced standing DDS program in the US. I graduated with about $502k in student loans. I’ve been working as a general dentist for the past year, and my take home this year was around $330k.


I really do love Endo. That’s why I’ve kept applying. But I’m at a point where I honestly don’t know how much longer I should keep waiting.


I have a toddler, a family to support, and no financial support other than what I earn and the loans I would have to take. Going back to residency would mean taking on even more debt while giving up two years of income. By the time I finish residency, I could easily be looking at $800k to $900k in total loans with accrued interest.


Every night I think about those numbers, and it’s honestly scary.


My faculty and mentors keep telling me that it’ll be worth it in the end, and I believe they genuinely mean that. But they were also at a very different stage in life when they went back to school. Most of them didn’t have the same financial responsibilities or a young family depending on them.


I’m especially hoping to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation, particularly female dentists who are mothers. How did you make this decision? At what point did you decide to keep applying, or decide it wasn’t the right choice anymore?


I still want to become an endodontist. That hasn’t changed. I’m just trying to figure out if continuing to chase this dream is the right decision for my family and our future.


I would really appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice. Thank you.
I don’t really have any advice, but I can definitely relate. I’m in a very similar situation. I’m also an internationally trained dentist who completed a DDS program in the U.S. I’m currently working as an associate, and I received only one interview this cycle, which unfortunately didn’t work out.
One thing that keeps me going is this: when we applied to DDS programs, there were no guarantees either. We took that leap of faith anyway. The difference now is that we at least have stable careers and jobs to fall back on while we continue working toward our goal. It doesn’t make the disappointment any easier, but it does mean we can keep improving our applications without starting from scratch.
Wishing you the very best. I truly hope things work out for both of us.
 
I know there are a lot of people here who have applied for multiple cycles, so I’m hoping to get some honest advice.


This was my third application cycle. I applied to 27 Endo programs, got 2 interviews, and unfortunately didn’t match again.


A little about me. I’m an international dentist who completed an advanced standing DDS program in the US. I graduated with about $502k in student loans. I’ve been working as a general dentist for the past year, and my take home this year was around $330k.


I really do love Endo. That’s why I’ve kept applying. But I’m at a point where I honestly don’t know how much longer I should keep waiting.


I have a toddler, a family to support, and no financial support other than what I earn and the loans I would have to take. Going back to residency would mean taking on even more debt while giving up two years of income. By the time I finish residency, I could easily be looking at $800k to $900k in total loans with accrued interest.


Every night I think about those numbers, and it’s honestly scary.


My faculty and mentors keep telling me that it’ll be worth it in the end, and I believe they genuinely mean that. But they were also at a very different stage in life when they went back to school. Most of them didn’t have the same financial responsibilities or a young family depending on them.


I’m especially hoping to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation, particularly female dentists who are mothers. How did you make this decision? At what point did you decide to keep applying, or decide it wasn’t the right choice anymore?


I still want to become an endodontist. That hasn’t changed. I’m just trying to figure out if continuing to chase this dream is the right decision for my family and our future.


I would really appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice. Thank you.
keep applying you have nothinig to lose except a couple of grands per year on application fees if you don't get accepted. don't over complicate things.
 
Last edited:
reason why i wouldnt go to any school based progam is because it doesnt make sense for me to lose out on potential earned income of around 1.4 million ( from not working 2 years ) as well as taking out 200k in loans for the program
It's not about the money
It’s literally is about the money lol. The only thing a hospital base program will give you is a stipend. Everything else you’ve listed is literally what an endodontic residency is.
 
Last edited:
I know there are a lot of people here who have applied for multiple cycles, so I’m hoping to get some honest advice.


This was my third application cycle. I applied to 27 Endo programs, got 2 interviews, and unfortunately didn’t match again.


A little about me. I’m an international dentist who completed an advanced standing DDS program in the US. I graduated with about $502k in student loans. I’ve been working as a general dentist for the past year, and my take home this year was around $330k.


I really do love Endo. That’s why I’ve kept applying. But I’m at a point where I honestly don’t know how much longer I should keep waiting.


I have a toddler, a family to support, and no financial support other than what I earn and the loans I would have to take. Going back to residency would mean taking on even more debt while giving up two years of income. By the time I finish residency, I could easily be looking at $800k to $900k in total loans with accrued interest.


Every night I think about those numbers, and it’s honestly scary.


My faculty and mentors keep telling me that it’ll be worth it in the end, and I believe they genuinely mean that. But they were also at a very different stage in life when they went back to school. Most of them didn’t have the same financial responsibilities or a young family depending on them.


I’m especially hoping to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation, particularly female dentists who are mothers. How did you make this decision? At what point did you decide to keep applying, or decide it wasn’t the right choice anymore?


I still want to become an endodontist. That hasn’t changed. I’m just trying to figure out if continuing to chase this dream is the right decision for my family and our future.


I would really appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice. Thank you.
That’s tough…
Also international dentist here, and I’ve been postponing being a mother because I really want this..
I truly believe Endo is amazing… and keep working toward your goal.
Work harder and improve your CV, do courses… not just in the US, get more involved. If you can maybe work as a faculty? Even if it’s one day and volunteering../ it adds up.
So just keep adding more to your CV, not just because you want to get into a program but because it will help your career in the long run🙂
 
keep applying you have nothinig to lose except a couple of grands per year on application fees if you don't get accepted. don't over complicate things.
I don’t really have any advice, but I can definitely relate. I’m in a very similar situation. I’m also an internationally trained dentist who completed a DDS program in the U.S. I’m currently working as an associate, and I received only one interview this cycle, which unfortunately didn’t work out.
One thing that keeps me going is this: when we applied to DDS programs, there were no guarantees either. We took that leap of faith anyway. The difference now is that we at least have stable careers and jobs to fall back on while we continue working toward our goal. It doesn’t make the disappointment any easier, but it does mean we can keep improving our applications without starting from scratch.
Wishing you the very best. I truly hope things work out for both of us.
I know there are a lot of people here who have applied for multiple cycles, so I’m hoping to get some honest advice.


This was my third application cycle. I applied to 27 Endo programs, got 2 interviews, and unfortunately didn’t match again.


A little about me. I’m an international dentist who completed an advanced standing DDS program in the US. I graduated with about $502k in student loans. I’ve been working as a general dentist for the past year, and my take home this year was around $330k.


I really do love Endo. That’s why I’ve kept applying. But I’m at a point where I honestly don’t know how much longer I should keep waiting.


I have a toddler, a family to support, and no financial support other than what I earn and the loans I would have to take. Going back to residency would mean taking on even more debt while giving up two years of income. By the time I finish residency, I could easily be looking at $800k to $900k in total loans with accrued interest.


Every night I think about those numbers, and it’s honestly scary.


My faculty and mentors keep telling me that it’ll be worth it in the end, and I believe they genuinely mean that. But they were also at a very different stage in life when they went back to school. Most of them didn’t have the same financial responsibilities or a young family depending on them.


I’m especially hoping to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation, particularly female dentists who are mothers. How did you make this decision? At what point did you decide to keep applying, or decide it wasn’t the right choice anymore?


I still want to become an endodontist. That hasn’t changed. I’m just trying to figure out if continuing to chase this dream is the right decision for my family and our future.


I would really appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice. Thank you.
Hello,
I do not know your age or your graduation year but it is not worth it to be endodontist when you have 900K in student loan, plus the high interest. it is not worth it to be a dentist what that much debt period!. how about you work for few years... pay your loan at least pay some of it and apply again? it is not easy to pay $$$ loan especially when you have family depends on you. I would not be able to sleep with +600 student loan!! also keep in mind being a endodontist, orthodontist, perio, os dose not mean you are going to make millions. people here might argue you make money as a specialist easier than GP ,,maybe but not guaranteed. as specialist limited job opportunities, you have to advertise to your referral, difficult cases....my thought is if I am an endodontist making +500 but I have +800 I need to put more money towards my loan so your take home $$ is going to be the same as GP, endo works less hours (maybe) than GP but same headaches (difficult cases).. i mean even if you love endo with that much debt! you will not be happy. If you are my sister my honest advise is do not apply for few years and pay some of your loan, check how you feel about it later.
and if you are applying to 27 programs that is $5000 to 7000 in application every year plus the mental burn out.. put that money towards your loan or CE course (endo) work on your application to stand out for next years!! you are making great money as GP.. probably working a lot too. I understand what your going through!!. wish you all the best!!
 
Last edited:
UCLA sends out offers the same night usually.

Edit: I also want to add and mention/ask: do you think a program can truly get to know you by interviewing you on zoom for 20 minutes? Versus other programs that require you to spend an entire day visiting the school, getting to know the residents, sometimes having to do hands on tests, etc.

Baffles me that UCLA doesn't actually get to know the people they're interviewing. They strictly pick their top 3 on paper on confirm via the "interviews" that they can hold a conversation.

Everyone else is an excuse for them to say "well, we interviewed"

My UCLA interviewer cut me off after 2 min and told me he had a scheduled meeting to attend and just left..
 
I know there are a lot of people here who have applied for multiple cycles, so I’m hoping to get some honest advice.


This was my third application cycle. I applied to 27 Endo programs, got 2 interviews, and unfortunately didn’t match again.


A little about me. I’m an international dentist who completed an advanced standing DDS program in the US. I graduated with about $502k in student loans. I’ve been working as a general dentist for the past year, and my take home this year was around $330k.


I really do love Endo. That’s why I’ve kept applying. But I’m at a point where I honestly don’t know how much longer I should keep waiting.


I have a toddler, a family to support, and no financial support other than what I earn and the loans I would have to take. Going back to residency would mean taking on even more debt while giving up two years of income. By the time I finish residency, I could easily be looking at $800k to $900k in total loans with accrued interest.


Every night I think about those numbers, and it’s honestly scary.


My faculty and mentors keep telling me that it’ll be worth it in the end, and I believe they genuinely mean that. But they were also at a very different stage in life when they went back to school. Most of them didn’t have the same financial responsibilities or a young family depending on them.


I’m especially hoping to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation, particularly female dentists who are mothers. How did you make this decision? At what point did you decide to keep applying, or decide it wasn’t the right choice anymore?


I still want to become an endodontist. That hasn’t changed. I’m just trying to figure out if continuing to chase this dream is the right decision for my family and our future.


I would really appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice. Thank you.

How would you end up with $800-900K loans?

If you graduated with $500K student loan, and your TAKE HOME is $330K this year, and assuming next year is going to be more, you need to continue living like a dental student and can pretty much pay that debt off before starting Endo residency (if you get accepted next year)

If the debt is truly scaring you every night, attack it with vengeance!!

I graduated with $200K dental school loan, and paid it off in about a year. Then I worked another ~3 years to save up to fund my $300K residency out of pocket.

I know many dentists out there intentionally not pay debt off to invest, in the hopes of earning a few % differential returns. But I don't want to play that game.

Edit: no more comment from me I'm not going to hi-jack this post
 
Last edited:
How would you end up with $800-900K loans?

If you graduated with $500K student loan, and your TAKE HOME is $330K this year, and assuming next year is going to be more, you need to continue living like a dental student and can pretty much pay that debt off before starting Endo residency (if you get accepted next year)

If the debt is truly scaring you every night, attack it with vengeance!!

I graduated with $200K dental school loan, and paid it off in about a year. Then I worked another ~3 years to save up to fund my $300K residency out of pocket.

I know many dentists out there intentionally not pay debt off to invest, in the hopes of earning a few % differential returns. But I don't want to play that game.
The post said has a toddler and a family to support… . Interest on 500 vs 200 is way higher…

you paid $200 plus interest ~20 K i assume in one year. …good for you but how that possible! My first years salary was never above $170. Even if you work in rural area …at least here in USA.
Am i missing anything!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad