Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

Started by mmmcdowe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They still need to know some science, and they're grades are still important. That's what makes this even funnier ( I have a friend in nursing school, and she told me all about the app process).
At my school the average GPA for students admitted to the nursing program is like a 3.9. A friend of mine tried to get in 3 years in a row (his GPA is around 3.75, and he is a very disadvantaged URM) and is finally transferring to another school where he should actually be able to get in. Here, at least, the grades definitely matter.
 
Anyone see the thread here yesterday on SDN not being what it used to be and etc? Thoughts on that? I kind of had similar experiences and haven't been as into SDN since then...but this place gave me a lot of help over the years.

SDN is awesome because of its valuable resources. It's the other stuff that makes it look bad but it's hard to understand if you haven't been actively involved for a while (not referring to you specifically, but like newcomers to SDN)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At my school the average GPA for students admitted to the nursing program is like a 3.9. A friend of mine tried to get in 3 years in a row (his GPA is around 3.75, and he is a very disadvantaged URM) and is finally transferring to another school where he should actually be able to get in. Here, at least, the grades definitely matter.

Agreed. My wife got her first bachelors and then went to UT for her BSN. It was a 12-month program where she did clinicals during the day and then didactics at night--basically 2 years of nursing school done concurrently.

The program was only offered for 3 years because the attrition rate was so high. Out of her class of 100, only like 30 people graduated, but every single one of them aced the NCLEX. My wife's shut off after the first 70 questions because she could no longer fail even if she got the rest of them wrong. It was a great program.
 
@tarheelpenner samoyed puppy bump!

Samoyed_SERP.jpg

37acd0c1019d949d3c3c258997aba431.jpg
 
SDN is awesome because of its valuable resources. It's the other stuff that makes it look bad but it's hard to understand if you haven't been actively involved for a while (not referring to you specifically, but like newcomers to SDN)

Yeah, but I feel like the level of neuroticism/criticism from everyone has just gotten to a new level. People are a little too harsh to judge on here/troll a lot so I don't know what to think yet.


I honestly can't find it now. I think it was locked and now taken down...
 
View attachment 218773 Lol "I don't need to know medicine or science! I just need to be recognized for being more compassionate than you are, I chose, of my own free will, to work a job that involves long shifts but I will constantly complain about it and require everyone to kiss my butt for doing it."

Don't get me wrong, a good nurse is worth her weight in gold, but I can't stand this self congratulatory BS
Until you meet a CRNA that knows more about drugs that you do. But those are CRNAs.

I also get the same impression from people in SDN that try to up-play their scribing job.
 
It seems like everyone's A-Chem prof is barely human... ( A handful of users have said similar things)
I think it's because successful analytical chemistry requires a very specific approach to things that is thorough, rigorous, and very detail-oriented...
My analytical professor is actually one of my favorite people and hands-down one of the best teachers I have ever had (I had him for gen-chem as well). He's tough, but he actually gave up research so that he could focus on teaching full-time because he really cares about his students. I've been a TA for him 3 times now, and he actually even came to my wedding.

..even managed to make my analytical chemistry professor laugh
I said this because he for some reason does not at all understand memes though. :shrug:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Until you meet a CRNA that knows more about drugs that you do. But those are CRNAs.

I also get the same impression from people in SDN that try to up-play their scribing job.

Until you get the CRNA that puts the local MAC patient waaaaaaay too deep and needs to be rescued by the anesthesiologist.

But seriously, I have worked with almost exclusively awesome CRNAs. They had a great relationship with the docs. Knew when it was time to call the doc in and didn't have any gripes about the docs doing the more complicated cases.
 
@Cyberdyne 101 !!!! Yoooooo that game was a brutal for my heart..... but a win is a win at least! Hope Kawhi can come back for Game 2, so we can properly beat them.
 
@Matthew9Thirtyfive @freak7 @tessellations bump!

1436446604-20150709.png
Reminds me of this guy. Basically he's a Brazilian clown/comedian who decided to run for Congress down there and won by a landslide with this kind of "honest" campaigning. Some of his slogans for those too lazy to click the link:

"What does a federal congressman do? I really don't know – but vote for me and I'll let you know"
"It can't get any worse, vote Tiririca"
"If elected I promise to help all Brazilian families... especially mine"

Result: The second-most voted-for congressman in Brazilian history, and he has been re-elected for a total of three terms in spite of technically not being eligible for office (he scored a 30% on the literacy exam he was required to take to be sworn into office, but somehow everyone just kind of let that slide).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen them live. They were awesome.
Reminds me of this guy. Basically he's a Brazilian clown/comedian who decided to run for Congress down there and won by a landslide with this kind of "honest" campaigning. Some of his slogans for those too lazy to click the link:

"What does a federal congressman do? I really don't know – but vote for me and I'll let you know"
"It can't get any worse, vote Tiririca"
"If elected I promise to help all Brazilian families... especially mine"

Result: The second-most voted-for congressman in Brazilian history, and he has been re-elected for a total of three terms in spite of technically not being eligible for office (he scored a 30% on the literacy exam he was required to take to be sworn into office, but somehow everyone just kind of let that slide).

1431788841-20150516.png
 
One of my favorite albums. Looks like they will be here on August. IDK who I would go with. 🤔

Just go by yourself. Who cares? It's a Metallica concert. You aren't paying attention to the people you're with anyway.

When I saw them, they didn't play any trash from that garbage album that I pretend doesn't exist. They opened with "Battery". It was so badass, and they played almost entirely oldies.
 
Just go by yourself. Who cares? It's a Metallica concert. You aren't paying attention to the people you're with anyway.

When I saw them, they didn't play any trash from that garbage album that I pretend doesn't exist. They opened with "Battery". It was so badass, and they played almost entirely oldies.
Are there any 40-50 yr old dudes moshing at those concerts? lol
 
I don't know man. I think he's got some God-given super powers or something. He's still fast AF.
Eh, I wouldn't necessarily call him fast AF. He was never that great. If anything, he has been the technical weak link of the band since its inception* He was never near the level of Dave Lombardo** I'm guessing he's the reason why you rarely hear songs like Blackened at Metallica shows*** All nitpicking aside, he is still playing 80s thrash metal at 53. It'll be amazing if he continues to play at this pace for another 3-5 years.


*i realize i'm totally nitpicking here.
**ok so i realize it's not fair to compare him to the greatest drummer of all time
*** even difficult for a 28 year old to play
 
Eh, I wouldn't necessarily call him fast AF. He was never that great. If anything, he has been the technical weak link of the band since its inception* He was never near the level of Dave Lombardo** I'm guessing he's the reason why you rarely hear songs like Blackened at Metallica shows*** All nitpicking aside, he is still playing 80s thrash metal at 53. It'll be amazing if he continues to play at this pace for another 3-5 years.


*i realize i'm totally nitpicking here.
**ok so i realize it's not fair to compare him to the greatest drummer of all time
*** even difficult for a 28 year old to play

Fair enough. They played a lot of **** from Kill 'em All and Justice when I saw them. A lot of the fast stuff.

And John Bonham was the best drummer of all time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad