-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*
Started by mmmcdowe
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
7
787593
Hey, they do have the most people.Yes and to let two states elect the leader for the entire country. Fabulous idea.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, they do have the most people.
That was the whole point of the EC--to prevent regional bias like those that form in those areas to dictate the presidency. That's why we need voter education.
@Healer@1994 I saw a random ad on SDN this morning that looked just awful and I mistook it for one of your spicy posts
Medical emergency at my command today. Had to leave my breakfast sitting in the mess. Luckily no one threw it away while we were responding lol. My half-eaten nutrigrain bar was still chilling there.
There is already adequate representation through the senate. Education is always simultaneously the answer and not the answer.That was the whole point of the EC--to prevent regional bias like those that form in those areas to dictate the presidency. That's why we need voter education.
7
787593
wow thanks@Healer@1994 I saw a random ad on SDN this morning that looked just awful and I mistook it for one of your spicy posts

So I didn't notice the beret she was wearing until the "Then you're one of the good ones, kid" panel, so I thought she put it on to try to look like a badass.
7
787593
Someone asked me if I go to the gym and I was all like:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is already adequate representation through the senate. Education is always simultaneously the answer and not the answer.
😕
So because there is "adequate representation" in the Senate, having adequate representation in the POTUS election is unimportant?
Building those guns before med schools swallows you whole?Someone asked me if I go to the gym and I was all like:![]()
7
787593
No guns allowed on campus, hehe they can't take away these babiesBuilding those guns before med schools swallows you whole?
(not me)
Hey, nothing wrong with being tiny! Just don't go into Ortho 🤣No guns allowed on campus, hehe they can't take away these babies![]()
(not me)
Hey, nothing wrong with being tiny! Just don't go into Ortho 🤣
That stereotype is ironic, because all but one of the orthopods I've worked with were skinny or average sized. The only one that was big was a douche canoe.
yes. There is weighted representation in the house of reps. You are saying the unequal weight of Americans votes based on geography is somehow better .😕
So because there is "adequate representation" in the Senate, having adequate representation in the POTUS election is unimportant?
yes. There is weighted representation in the house of reps. You are saying the unequal weight of Americans votes based on geography is somehow better .
No, I'm just pointing out your straw man.
Gotta give Chris Cornell and Soundgarden some social thread love.
#wishyouwerestillwithus
#wishyouwerestillwithus
Gotta give Chris Cornell and Soundgarden some social thread love.
#wishyouwerestillwithus
Suicide is ****ty. So are drugs. I feel for his family.
yes. There is weighted representation in the house of reps. You are saying the unequal weight of Americans votes based on geography is somehow better .
No, I'm just pointing out your straw man.
😎
At least it's not a wicker man. Then we'd have to call Nicholas Cage.
I was preempting the next argument. Which is inevitably tyranny of the majority, yada yada yada. If the purpose of the ec was to prevent a charlatan from taking power.... Well I might have some bad news regarding it's efficacy.No, I'm just pointing out your straw man.
I was preempting the next argument. Which is inevitably tyranny of the majority, yada yada yada. If the purpose of the ec was to prevent a charlatan from taking power.... Well I might have some bad news regarding it's efficacy.
Except I didn't bring that up. I also didn't bring up the Senate. You brought it up to shift focus away from the EC, and then claimed that my desire for equal representation across states somehow implied that I prefer that OVER equal representation in the Senate--an argument I never made.
Ergo the preemption.Except I didn't bring that up. I also didn't bring up the Senate. You brought it up to shift focus away from the EC, and then claimed that my desire for equal representation across states somehow implied that I prefer that OVER equal representation in the Senate--an argument I never made.
Ergo the preemption.
You can't argue a point I didn't make. That's not how it works.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean you can.You can't argue a point I didn't make. That's not how it works.
Breaking news: New Fallacy discovered on SDN.
*beepbeebeepeeepeepeeebeep*
A local community has just discovered a new fallacy. Let's go to Tom in Atlanta.
Hi Amanda. They're calling it the "windmill" fallacy. Inspired by Don Quixote's preemptive strike on, not a strawman, but a windmill. We'll have details at 8. Back to you Amanda.
Thanks Tom. Up next after our break can these berries cure cancer? And good news for wine lovers, a new study says you may just want to pop open another bottle to make your spouse more appealing than meets the eye. We'll be back after this.
You can't argue a point I didn't make. That's not how it works.
I mean you can.
Breaking news: New Fallacy discovered on SDN.
*beepbeebeepeeepeepeeebeep*
A local community has just discovered a new fallacy. Let's go to Tom in Atlanta.
Hi Amanda. They're calling it the "windmill" fallacy. Inspired by Don Quixote's preemptive strike on, not a strawman, but a windmill. We'll have details at 8. Back to you Amanda.
Thanks Tom. Up next after our break can these berries cure cancer? And good news for wine lovers, a new study says you may just want to pop open another bottle to make your spouse more appealing than meets the eye. We'll be back after this.
Funny. Tilting at windmills is not really a fallacy though. It's just an idiom related to relevance fallacies.
Then there's no point in responding if you have no qualms about engaging in logical fallacies.
Damn it, I knew that was taken. I was having a hard time thinking of preemptive strikes that weren't politicalFunny. Tilting at windmills is not really a fallacy though. It's just an idiom related to relevance fallacies.
Damn it, I knew that was taken. I was having a hard time thinking of preemptive strikes that weren't political
Haha. I liked the randomness of your reply though.
@Matthew9Thirtyfive @freak7 @libertyyne @JoaoMoutinho bump!!
That was the whole point of the EC--to prevent regional bias like those that form in those areas to dictate the presidency. That's why we need voter education.
There is already adequate representation through the senate. Education is always simultaneously the answer and not the answer.
😕
So because there is "adequate representation" in the Senate, having adequate representation in the POTUS election is unimportant?
Please inform me on how exactly this is a strawman ? Your contention that the "whole point" was to prevent regional bias in the presidency ( which represents governmental power), and I merely stated that adequate representation in the senate ensures people from less populous states dont get forgotten by those in power?
You can continue to make "strawman strawman " arguments or you could defend why it is necessary to have less populous states have continued oversized influence in the election of the president.
Please inform me on how exactly this is a strawman ? Your contention that the "whole point" was to prevent regional bias in the presidency ( which represents governmental power), and I merely stated that adequate representation in the senate ensures people from less populous states dont get forgotten by those in power?
If anything, the regional bias is amplified by the EC. No one cares about states in mountain zone. Everyone cares about swing states like PA and OH where they actually have fewer than expected electoral votes.
Any defense of the electoral college is unsustainable.
Furthermore, the winner take all of the state's EC rules create perverse effects, these rules were not original to the EC and were introduced later on iirc.If anything, the regional bias is amplified by the EC. No one cares about states in mountain zone. Everyone cares about swing states like PA and OH where they actually have fewer than expected electoral votes.
Please inform me on how exactly this is a strawman ? Your contention that the "whole point" was to prevent regional bias in the presidency ( which represents governmental power), and I merely stated that adequate representation in the senate ensures people from less populous states dont get forgotten by those in power?
You can continue to make "strawman strawman " arguments or you could defend why it is necessary to have less populous states have continued oversized influence in the election of the president.
I said a popular vote is tainted by regional bias, effectively allowing a small number of locations to elect POTUS. Please tell me how that in any way implies that having equal representation across the population is more important than equal representation in the Senate. Also, please tell me why having equal representation in the Senate eliminates the need for equal representation in the Presidential election (just saying having senators is good enough, ironically, isn't good enough).
Then I'll stop calling it a straw man. I don't have to defend positions I didn't take just because you want to use them to deflect.
1. BY attempting to eliminate regional bias it effectively diminishes the value of the voters in more populous regions. so in effect you are saying that regional representation is more important than value of an individual vote.I said a popular vote is tainted by regional bias, effectively allowing a small number of locations to elect POTUS. Please tell me how that in any way implies that having equal representation across the population is more important than equal representation in the Senate. Also, please tell me why having equal representation in the Senate eliminates the need for equal representation in the Presidential election.
Then I'll stop calling it a straw man. I don't have to defend positions I didn't take just because you want to use them to deflect.
2. I have asserted that equal representation in the senate is an adequate and valid safeguard against too much "regional bias" in the presidency .
3. Because the senate is a branch of the government with vast powers that can effectively represent their regions more effectively than any president.
But you know strawman, strawman , strawman.
1. BY attempting to eliminate regional bias it effectively diminishes the value of the voters in more populous regions. so in effect you are saying that regional representation is more important than value of an individual vote.
No, I'm not saying that. I'm actually saying the opposite of that. The EC was designed to prevent regional bias. I think it was a good idea, but its flaws are exploited during campaigns.
As I said previously, ideally we would have a popular vote where everyone made an informed decision. But since that isn't happening even now, switching to the popular vote directly will not solve anything. You'll just go from having a flawed EC to another flawed system where two states elect the President for the other 48 (excuse my slight hyperbole).
2. I have asserted that equal representation in the senate is an adequate and valid safeguard against too much "regional bias" in the presidency .
I agree that having adequate representation in Congress is a good safeguard, but I disagree that it makes adequate representation in the POTUS election irrelevant or unimportant.
3. Because the senate is a branch of the government with vast powers that can effectively represent their regions more effectively than any president.
But you know strawman, strawman , strawman.
Agreed, but we live in a country where the President is seen as having significantly more power than he actually carries. Even on this board, we have supposedly educated people claiming that Trump is destroying this country when he hasn't really done much of anything.
Along with the EC itself, this perception is part of why we have such terrible voter turnout. Couple that with ignorant voters and people who just vote along party lines, the "adequate representation" in the Senate is hurt by having the same people in office for decades because people simply vote for their party (or don't vote at all).
Just to be clear, I don't support the EC in practice. I support controlling for regional bias, but my solution is voter education, not a formal system like the EC.
Edit: also it's possible that I missed an obvious connection. I just got off a 26-hour duty shift where I got ~3 hours of sleep and have been awake since 1:00am.
Last edited:
I'm also not a fan of our two-party system. I think it's ludicrous and enables only the sleaziest politicians to rise to the highest offices.
I'm also not a fan of our two-party system. I think it's ludicrous and enables only the sleaziest politicians to rise to the highest offices.
The US should just adopt a parliamentary system
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The US should just adopt a parliamentary system
I'd actually be super okay with this depending on the type of parliamentary system.
Suicide is ****ty. So are drugs. I feel for his family.
I still can't believe it happened...
I would take solace in the fact that unlike Kurt and Layne, he was still alive and making music...
I wish he weren't alone that night...
A great loss. I saw him live at least 4 times when he was touring with audioslave.I still can't believe it happened...
I would take solace in the fact that unlike Kurt and Layne, he was still alive and making music...
I wish he weren't alone that night...
Watching C-SPAN you wouldn't know that we don't already have one of those what with all those clowns filibustering every minute of every day.The US should just adopt a parliamentary system
7
787593
No, I'm just pointing out your straw man.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 620
- Views
- 108K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K