Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

Started by mmmcdowe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man, I hate coming off of exercise. Not being able to sleep as well, more headaches and anxiety, and then it takes so long to get back in shape.

Powerlifting is my preferred way to destress. No better way to feel better than to lift heavy weight. Plus you get the satisfaction/fulfillment of seeing your numbers go up when you’re consistent about it.
 
WHAT IF I decided to be social? I might be bored at work and also happy to talk about how I (pretend to) work out regularly and get swole.
 
In slightly relevant news ( having to do with stress and such)- do you guys find conditioning/weight lifting to be as effective at stress relief as aerobics?

In all honesty, it depends on how much you do. If you are a chronic-cardio or heavy-weights-all-the-time or HIIT-too-often person, you are only going to add stress. But if you do cardio or weight-lifting or interval stuff just to the extent where it is a good short-term stressor and then have recovery time after (plus recovery food and sleep), it will be awesome stress relief!
 
Just wanted to vent this on an anonymous forum:
My middle brother ( 17 y/o HS senior) is a total ****head. He's flunking his classes, doesn't care about going to college, is mean to our parents. We've taken him to see a psychiatrist and therapist so it's not like he has some underlying serious mental health issue or trauma he's not disclosing. He.is just.a dick.
I literally can't tell any of my irl friends about this (parents say it'd be a disgrace to the family) , so I'm just talking about it on here.
 
Just wanted to vent this on an anonymous forum:
My middle brother ( 17 y/o HS senior) is a total ****head. He's flunking his classes, doesn't care about going to college, is mean to our parents. We've taken him to see a psychiatrist and therapist so it's not like he has some underlying serious mental health issue or trauma he's not disclosing. He.is just.a dick.
I literally can't tell any of my irl friends about this (parents say it'd be a disgrace to the family) , so I'm just talking about it on here.
I can relate a little. My little sister is... off the rails. Drugs (although nothing particularly concerning), drinking constantly, bad influence friends, can’t stay in a relationship for more than a few weeks, dropped out of college, still lives at home, her diet is terrible and she’s pretty much sedentary...

Can’t say anything about it though, because then I’m just being a jerk because I’m on a “better life path” and “not everybody needs or wants to be a doctor.” So frustrating to want better for people who don’t want better for themselves.
 
Just wanted to vent this on an anonymous forum:
My middle brother ( 17 y/o HS senior) is a total ****head. He's flunking his classes, doesn't care about going to college, is mean to our parents. We've taken him to see a psychiatrist and therapist so it's not like he has some underlying serious mental health issue or trauma he's not disclosing. He.is just.a dick.
I literally can't tell any of my irl friends about this (parents say it'd be a disgrace to the family) , so I'm just talking about it on here.
Hey, if it makes you feel less alone- I have worse in my family. Sometimes it's a phase, sometimes it's not. If you can take on a mentoring role with him try to do so. Sometimes little siblings do this for attention and just want to see that at least one family member cares.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The last few days/weeks have been SO quiet on my threads! With cold rainy grey weather in Seattle, it makes me feel like everyone is hunkering down for a long winter's nap...and yet I know you're probably all actually racing around the country on interviews or waiting nervously for that first/next interview invite.

What fun things are you guys planning for the holidays? Is that weird to ask right now? Halloween costumes yet anyone?
 
Just wanted to vent this on an anonymous forum:
My middle brother ( 17 y/o HS senior) is a total ****head. He's flunking his classes, doesn't care about going to college, is mean to our parents. We've taken him to see a psychiatrist and therapist so it's not like he has some underlying serious mental health issue or trauma he's not disclosing. He.is just.a dick.
I literally can't tell any of my irl friends about this (parents say it'd be a disgrace to the family) , so I'm just talking about it on here.

My brother was a lot like this, and we were NOT friends for a while. It took him a long time to grow up, and I just had to set my boundaries and keep him at arm's length for a while because he was so mean. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.
 
The last few days/weeks have been SO quiet on my threads! With cold rainy grey weather in Seattle, it makes me feel like everyone is hunkering down for a long winter's nap...and yet I know you're probably all actually racing around the country on interviews or waiting nervously for that first/next interview invite.

What fun things are you guys planning for the holidays? Is that weird to ask right now? Halloween costumes yet anyone?
Was complete MD 3 weeks ago and still get nervous when I see a "new" email ( in my admissions email folder). I know it would take at least a month to process my app at all ( interview, reject, hold, etc.) But it's just nerve wracking. ( I was complete later because of a committee letter issue.)

And thanks for the story about your brother. Im hoping my brother gets himself sorted out. At this rate, forget college, he might not eve graduate HS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to vent this on an anonymous forum:
My middle brother ( 17 y/o HS senior) is a total ****head. He's flunking his classes, doesn't care about going to college, is mean to our parents. We've taken him to see a psychiatrist and therapist so it's not like he has some underlying serious mental health issue or trauma he's not disclosing. He.is just.a dick.
I literally can't tell any of my irl friends about this (parents say it'd be a disgrace to the family) , so I'm just talking about it on here.
I would strongly suggest drug testing him, even if it is to rule it out.
Heavy marijuana use can amply anger and rage, as well as be heavily demotivating. Lots of psychosis and other effects are being often identified with heavy users. The THC levels are making marijuana today a totally different drug than it was 20 years ago being 10-30x stronger. It is also addicting which it was never before considered with 1/7 becoming addicted.
 
I can relate a little. My little sister is... off the rails. Drugs (although nothing particularly concerning), drinking constantly, bad influence friends, can’t stay in a relationship for more than a few weeks, dropped out of college, still lives at home, her diet is terrible and she’s pretty much sedentary...

Can’t say anything about it though, because then I’m just being a jerk because I’m on a “better life path” and “not everybody needs or wants to be a doctor.” So frustrating to want better for people who don’t want better for themselves.
Same! He tells me not everyone wants to be a doctor. My parents are giving him attention though, and unfortunately, they are comparing him to me. But not me now trying to get into Med school, but the slightly-above-average student I was in high school , and how I got into our local middle of the road state school with a hefty scholarship.
I would strongly suggest drug testing him, even if it is to rule it out.
Heavy marijuana use can amply anger and rage, as well as be heavily demotivating. Lots of psychosis and other effects are being often identified with heavy users. The THC levels are making marijuana today a totally different drug than it was 20 years ago being 10-30x stronger. It is also addicting which it was never before considered with 1/7 becoming addicted.
You know, I may bring this up with my mom. I'm p sure his psychiatrist had him tested before switching him to different meds ( anti-anxiety meds and they added antidepressants). But we had to take him off the anti-depressants because they made him have fits of rage ( screaming, etc., but no violence). Those vaping cartridges have those heavy-THC ones....huh. Thanks- we can rule that out.
 
The last few days/weeks have been SO quiet on my threads! With cold rainy grey weather in Seattle, it makes me feel like everyone is hunkering down for a long winter's nap...and yet I know you're probably all actually racing around the country on interviews or waiting nervously for that first/next interview invite.

What fun things are you guys planning for the holidays? Is that weird to ask right now? Halloween costumes yet anyone?
Was complete MD 3 weeks ago and still get nervous when I see a "new" email ( in my admissions email folder). I know it would take at least a month to process my app at all ( interview, reject, hold, etc.) But it's just nerve wracking. ( I was complete later because of a committee letter issue.)

And thanks for the story about your brother. Im hoping my brother gets himself sorted out. At this rate, forget college, he might not eve graduate HS.
We have a social discord now! which is why it is so quiet over here, everyone is on that rn. PM me for an invite link!
 
Does anyone know if Harvard, Pitt, or Umich care for thank you letters? I had sent them to my first three schools but more or less just...stopped for these three. Not sure why I stopped...Should I pick the practice back up for Case/CCLCM?
 
Does anyone know if Harvard, Pitt, or Umich care for thank you letters? I had sent them to my first three schools but more or less just...stopped for these three. Not sure why I stopped...Should I pick the practice back up for Case/CCLCM?

Three different people in admissions responded with awesome emails to my thank you email to Case. I have been hot and cold on sending the thank yous...I think a) its the right thing to do professionally, but b) if you don't they won't notice/care, and c) if you do, it won't make a difference on their decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cool, thanks! I think I have decided that regardless of what happens next week so far as any A's I am going to go to Cleveland and give it a shot. Don't knock it till you try it, I guess.

I loved it waaaaay more than I thought I would (Case, not CCLCM, but same bldg/place). Still not top choice, but really only due to location and cost.
 
I loved it waaaaay more than I thought I would (Case, not CCLCM, but same bldg/place). Its weird.
CCLCM is weird? LOL why does everyone keep saying it is weird? How is it weird?

Also, what were the "Bringing a family to this part of town" vibes from cleveland?
 
CCLCM is weird? LOL why does everyone keep saying it is weird? How is it weird?

Also, what were the "Bringing a family to this part of town" vibes from cleveland?

I edited! That's not what I meant...I was thinking it was weird that I liked it so much lol

As far as your other question, well I thought it was pretty nice as far as an area to live in, buuuuuut I did sit next to two guys who I swear are in mafia when I ate dinner in Little Italy. But I don't know, as long as you keep your and your family's fingers out of the mafia pie, you should be fine! (Don't write anyone a fake check for like $8K, that is one definite story I heard)
 
Same. I loved case much more than I thought I would. (not cclcm)

But I’m a hoe for that castle out west.
If I am blessed with daddy Hennessy of castle Stanford then #bless lol

Beyond that, you both seem a little apprehensive about CCLCM. Any reasoning behind that
 
If I am blessed with daddy Hennessy of castle Stanford then #bless lol

Beyond that, you both seem a little apprehensive about CCLCM. Any reasoning behind that
No reason, I just didn't interview there. My only sense is that it seemed super small, a little cloistered, and way more prescriptive than Case.

Basically that. Not a fan of the dress code either.
 
I can't be let down if I expect nothing.
Husband was saying that Jones was the first to throw a touchdown on the Patriots all season though, and they did it twice last night. For like... a hot second, I thought maybe we coulda pulled it off. But then we choked on an Absolutely Classic Level.

EDITING TO SAY that it's really the husband that cares at all about any NFL proceedings because fantasy football. I'm more of a, uh... Roll Tide girl myself. Nothing matters because we never lose. Tomorrow is my favorite game of the season. 10/10 very excite.
 
I can't be let down if I expect nothing.
Husband was saying that Jones was the first to throw a touchdown on the Patriots all season though, and they did it twice last night. For like... a hot second, I thought maybe we coulda pulled it off. But then we choked on an Absolutely Classic Level.

EDITING TO SAY that it's really the husband that cares at all about any NFL proceedings because fantasy football. I'm more of a, uh... Roll Tide girl myself. Nothing matters because we never lose. Tomorrow is my favorite game of the season. 10/10 very excite.
Are you prior marines (sorry, not related lol)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yah....Like, we all sign up for it to help establish what the FL4 is like compared to the real deal and help those getting ready to practice get a better idea of how it will correlate to their score.
Sure, you find me 7 hours of free time and $35 I haven’t spent on applications/travel expenses, stress eating, impulse amazon purchases or cheap wine and I’m down lol

I’d be curious to see how little I remember from psych/soc lol
 
Sure, you find me 7 hours of free time and $35 I haven’t spent on applications/travel expenses, stress eating, impulse amazon purchases or cheap wine and I’m down lol

I’d be curious to see how little I remember from psych/soc lol
Can we all put in on writing a grant proposal to fund an MCAT corollary study for FL4?