You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*
Started by mmmcdowe
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
me in anatomy when we learned about hyoid bone fractures
![]()
When we learn that bilateral pars articularis fractures of the axis is called the “hangman’s fracture”
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So just a quick note about that guy with the DUI...a Columbia student was just killed by a drunk driver from Florida or SoCal or something just last week.
Here is the link if you wanna read it
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but I mean come on...he really should understand the consequences of his actions more if one of their own was just killed by a drunk driver.
Anyway, I gotta see the eye doc again bc my blepharitis is insane. Constant tears and the whole area is burning.Blach.
Here is the link if you wanna read it
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but I mean come on...he really should understand the consequences of his actions more if one of their own was just killed by a drunk driver.
Anyway, I gotta see the eye doc again bc my blepharitis is insane. Constant tears and the whole area is burning.Blach.
So just a quick note about that guy with the DUI...a Columbia student was just killed by a drunk driver from Florida or SoCal or something just last week.
Here is the link if you wanna read it
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but I mean come on...he really should understand the consequences of his actions more if one of their own was just killed by a drunk driver.
Anyway, I gotta see the eye doc again bc my blepharitis is insane. Constant tears and the whole area is burning.Blach.
I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers. There is no excuse, and they should be punished far more than they are. There are people out there who have severely injured or killed people while driving drunk who did a few months in jail and that's it.
I used to not understand the difference between drunk driving and driving while impaired in other ways ( like a night shift ICU nurse driving home severely tired), before I learned how to drive.I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers. There is no excuse, and they should be punished far more than they are. There are people out there who have severely injured or killed people while driving drunk who did a few months in jail and that's it.
The thing is, drunk drivers almost always speed so much that them making a mistake while driving becomes order of magnitude more deadly. Its speeding that makes the crashes so deadly/maiming in the first place bc the kinetic energy of the car, blah blah. Thats why I genuinely fatigued person driving sober but incapacitated in some way beyond their control, not having done anything wrong, don't hurt/kill people in the same way.
Interesting reddit thread that just popped up in r/AmItheAsshole about something similar.
Here's the reddit thread if someone wants to read it
AITA for not helping my teenage son fight a DUI charge?
I have two children, a son who's a current high school senior and a daughter who's a sophomore in college. When they were first learning how to drive, I made it very clear to them that driving is a privilege, not a right, and they have a responsibility to themselves, their passengers, and everyone else on the road to be safe drivers. I explained that texting while driving and drunk driving are unacceptable, and that if they're ever in a situation where they don't think they can get home safely, they need to call me and I will come pick them up, no questions asked.
Well, my son recently got pulled over coming back from a party, and the officer smelled alcohol on his breath and made him take a breathalyzer test. He blew a .15, nearly twice the legal limit, and was charged with DUI. I'm beyond disappointed in him and in his poor decision-making. I thought I raised him better than this. I asked him why he didn't call me for a ride home and he said he didn't think he had drunk enough to be impaired. Because he turned 18 three days before this happened, he was charged as an adult and a conviction will go on his permanent record.
My wife is insisting that we need to get our son a good lawyer and try to get the charge pleaded down. She's concerned it will hurt his chances of getting into college and medical school and cause him problems professionally down the line. There's also a possibility he could see some jail time with a BAC this high.
A good defense attorney would be expensive, and while we could technically afford it, I don't want to send my son the message that this kind of behavior is okay. There's also no guarantee that an attorney can get the charge reduced. I think my son needs to take responsibility for what he did, and if that means not getting into his top choice of college or spending a few days in jail, it's an important and valuable lesson worth learning. My wife strongly disagrees and says she's also disappointed in the choices he made, but we need to protect his future. AITA?
I have two children, a son who's a current high school senior and a daughter who's a sophomore in college. When they were first learning how to drive, I made it very clear to them that driving is a privilege, not a right, and they have a responsibility to themselves, their passengers, and everyone else on the road to be safe drivers. I explained that texting while driving and drunk driving are unacceptable, and that if they're ever in a situation where they don't think they can get home safely, they need to call me and I will come pick them up, no questions asked.
Well, my son recently got pulled over coming back from a party, and the officer smelled alcohol on his breath and made him take a breathalyzer test. He blew a .15, nearly twice the legal limit, and was charged with DUI. I'm beyond disappointed in him and in his poor decision-making. I thought I raised him better than this. I asked him why he didn't call me for a ride home and he said he didn't think he had drunk enough to be impaired. Because he turned 18 three days before this happened, he was charged as an adult and a conviction will go on his permanent record.
My wife is insisting that we need to get our son a good lawyer and try to get the charge pleaded down. She's concerned it will hurt his chances of getting into college and medical school and cause him problems professionally down the line. There's also a possibility he could see some jail time with a BAC this high.
A good defense attorney would be expensive, and while we could technically afford it, I don't want to send my son the message that this kind of behavior is okay. There's also no guarantee that an attorney can get the charge reduced. I think my son needs to take responsibility for what he did, and if that means not getting into his top choice of college or spending a few days in jail, it's an important and valuable lesson worth learning. My wife strongly disagrees and says she's also disappointed in the choices he made, but we need to protect his future. AITA?
Nope. That kid put lives in danger when he went behind that wheel. For crying out loud his BAC was nearly 2x the legal limit. His dad warned him about drinking and driving so he knows better. He deserves the punishment he gets. No need to waste money on an expensive lawyer. Good luck with applying to college and med schoolHere's the reddit thread if someone wants to read it
AITA for not helping my teenage son fight a DUI charge?
I have two children, a son who's a current high school senior and a daughter who's a sophomore in college. When they were first learning how to drive, I made it very clear to them that driving is a privilege, not a right, and they have a responsibility to themselves, their passengers, and everyone else on the road to be safe drivers. I explained that texting while driving and drunk driving are unacceptable, and that if they're ever in a situation where they don't think they can get home safely, they need to call me and I will come pick them up, no questions asked.
Well, my son recently got pulled over coming back from a party, and the officer smelled alcohol on his breath and made him take a breathalyzer test. He blew a .15, nearly twice the legal limit, and was charged with DUI. I'm beyond disappointed in him and in his poor decision-making. I thought I raised him better than this. I asked him why he didn't call me for a ride home and he said he didn't think he had drunk enough to be impaired. Because he turned 18 three days before this happened, he was charged as an adult and a conviction will go on his permanent record.
My wife is insisting that we need to get our son a good lawyer and try to get the charge pleaded down. She's concerned it will hurt his chances of getting into college and medical school and cause him problems professionally down the line. There's also a possibility he could see some jail time with a BAC this high.
A good defense attorney would be expensive, and while we could technically afford it, I don't want to send my son the message that this kind of behavior is okay. There's also no guarantee that an attorney can get the charge reduced. I think my son needs to take responsibility for what he did, and if that means not getting into his top choice of college or spending a few days in jail, it's an important and valuable lesson worth learning. My wife strongly disagrees and says she's also disappointed in the choices he made, but we need to protect his future. AITA?
Me: *mentions to someone on a gaming site that I'm on sdn*
Them: "are you premed?"
Me: "yeah!"
Them: "I'm a doctor!"
Me: *gets all excited* "Do you use SDN or do you hate it like other people."
Them: "I'm a lawyer. My doctorate's in law."
🙄
I'll admit that was a good one.
Them: "are you premed?"
Me: "yeah!"
Them: "I'm a doctor!"
Me: *gets all excited* "Do you use SDN or do you hate it like other people."
Them: "I'm a lawyer. My doctorate's in law."
🙄
I'll admit that was a good one.
Last edited:
Me: *mentions to someone on a gaming site that I'm on sdn*
Them: "are you premed?"
Me: "yeah!"
Them: "I'm a doctor!"
Me: *gets all excited* "Do you use SDN or do you hate it like other people."
Them: "I'm a lawyer. My doctorate's in law."
🙄I'll admit that was a good one.
View attachment 285748
Lol wtf. The only person I’ve ever heard say that was my dad and he was totally joking.
Bored on a long flight.
Least you have wifi?Bored on a long flight.
I think he was just trying to joke around but stillLol wtf. The only person I’ve ever heard say that was my dad and he was totally joking.

Least you have wifi?
Yes for this 5 hour flight at least I have wifi lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes for this 5 hour flight at least I have wifi lol
The two 8.5 hour flights I had back to back to go on deployment didn't have wifi, so it could be worse.
The two 8.5 hour flights I had back to back to go on deployment didn't have wifi, so it could be worse.
geez. In movies?
Medical school has conditioned me to be excited about something like that. All I could think of is all the studying I could get done.The two 8.5 hour flights I had back to back to go on deployment didn't have wifi, so it could be worse.
geez. In movies?
Yeah, I think I watched like 4 movies on each flight lol. I ended up at my destination at around midnight after like 24 hours of traveling.
Medical school has conditioned me to be excited about something like that. All I could think of is all the studying I could get done.
Yeah, now having 17 hours to study sounds amazing.
Bored on a long flight.
I've never had WiFi on a flight, only in-flight movies.The two 8.5 hour flights I had back to back to go on deployment didn't have wifi, so it could be worse.
And that's like 12+ hours to Dubai and then another 3 to Pakistan.
I like having time to disconnect, tbh. I always get a ton of reading done on planes.
I once also watched an entire season of a British television show on one flight. Those are usually pretty short, haha
I once also watched an entire season of a British television show on one flight. Those are usually pretty short, haha

I've never had WiFi on a flight, only in-flight movies.
And that's like 12+ hours to Dubai and then another 3 to Pakistan.
I think it's new, because I didn't have it when I went to Israel either, and that was 12 hours. Flying home was 16 because of a stop, and that didn't have wifi either. And like I said, the 17 hours of flying to get to deployment didn't have it either, and that was just a few years ago.
Thank the heavens for Fly-Fi on JetBlue so I can worsen my anxiety mid-air by checking SDN
Oh absolutely the father is not the dingus, I was just kinda intrigued that this popped up in my feed right after reading the DUI thread on SDN.Nope. That kid put lives in danger when he went behind that wheel. For crying out loud his BAC was nearly 2x the legal limit. His dad warned him about drinking and driving so he knows better. He deserves the punishment he gets. No need to waste money on an expensive lawyer. Good luck with applying to college and med school
I recommend anything that has at least 1 season rated 100% on the critic aggregator, rotten TomatoesI like having time to disconnect, tbh. I always get a ton of reading done on planes.
I once also watched an entire season of a British television show on one flight. Those are usually pretty short, haha![]()
Few things get me more excited than ordering new makeup 😍
So I woke up this morning with a massive headache and scratchy throat and was wondering why I feel like I'm getting sick like where did I catch this from...
My middle brother just came into my room to talk and literally just coughed all over my face without covering his mouth....ya I think I know now.
My middle brother just came into my room to talk and literally just coughed all over my face without covering his mouth....ya I think I know now.
So I woke up this morning with a massive headache and scratchy throat and was wondering why I feel like I'm getting sick like where did I catch this from...
My middle brother just came into my room to talk and literally just coughed all over my face without covering his mouth....ya I think I know now.
My kids cough and sneeze on me constantly. I’ve had one of them sneeze directly in my eye before.
My brother is almost 18 tho....My kids cough and sneeze on me constantly. I’ve had one of them sneeze directly in my eye before.
My brother is almost 18 tho....
Sounds like he needs some correcting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I told him " cover your mouth!" but he just kept talking. I put my own arm in front of my mouth tho...I think if I sleep a lot and drink some OJ I should be fine this is def. the beginning stages.Sounds like he needs some correcting.
He literally never listens to anyone ever.
Little babies and toddler sneezing on your is different...babies sneezing are so cute :3
I told him " cover your mouth!" but he just kept talking. I put my own arm in front of my mouth tho...I think if I sleep a lot and drink some OJ I should be fine this is def. the beginning stages.
He literally never listens to anyone ever.
Little babies and toddler sneezing on your is different...babies sneezing are so cute :3
Not that I’m giving medical advice, but there’s some good evidence that zinc decreases symptom severity and speeds up recovery.
I mean you say that, but that image is quickly dissipated once you've seen the dreaded sneeze vomit out of one.Little babies and toddler sneezing on your is different...babies sneezing are so cute :3
Little babies and toddler sneezing on your is different...babies sneezing are so cute :3
It’s cute until it’s your kid, and that sneeze is a warning sign that they are about to be up all night for days, everyone else is going to get sick, and everyone will be tired AF for a few days until they get better.
And not just "oh gee I have a cold" sick, it's more like "oh gee I didn't realize the black plague was never eradicated" sickIt’s cute until it’s your kid, and that sneeze is a warning sign that they are about to be up all night for days, everyone else is going to get sick, and everyone will be tired AF for a few days until they get better.
Hm...might pick some up if I can convince the fam to stop at the pharmacy on the way to a dinner party we are going to. I've heard about zinc as well.Not that I’m giving medical advice, but there’s some good evidence that zinc decreases symptom severity and speeds up recovery.
Well okay, but not every sneeze indicates and illness baby noses are sensitive and they sneeze all the time. Especially since newborns have fluid in their sinuses and have weak sneezes so they " che ! che! che!" for literally no reason so cute :3 But yes I see what you mean, sick baby is no fun. Especially when they can't blow their nose and it's so stuffy and they're so sad 🙁It’s cute until it’s your kid, and that sneeze is a warning sign that they are about to be up all night for days, everyone else is going to get sick, and everyone will be tired AF for a few days until they get better.
The day my kid finally learned how to blow into the tissue rather than just sitting there as I held it to her nose was a game-changer for me.Especially when they can't blow their nose and it's so stuffy and they're so sad 🙁
🤣 🤣 🤣The day my kid finally learned how to blow into the tissue rather than just sitting there as I held it to her nose was a game-changer for me.
My kid brother, when I was a teen and he was a toddler, would see me blow my nose and thought it was either hilarious or ' Why I do dat?" weird.
But infants have such narrow sinus/nasal passages that even if they knew how to blow their nose it wouldn't work ( sort of how with adults enough sinus pressure makes blowing your nose fruitless)
No more nose frida?The day my kid finally learned how to blow into the tissue rather than just sitting there as I held it to her nose was a game-changer for me.
Hm...might pick some up if I can convince the fam to stop at the pharmacy on the way to a dinner party we are going to. I've heard about zinc as well.
Well okay, but not every sneeze indicates and illness baby noses are sensitive and they sneeze all the time. Especially since newborns have fluid in their sinuses and have weak sneezes so they " che ! che! che!" for literally no reason so cute :3 But yes I see what you mean, sick baby is no fun. Especially when they can't blow their nose and it's so stuffy and they're so sad 🙁
It’s exactly because they can’t blow their noses and they can’t figure out how to just open their mouths to breathe. They’re obligate nose breathers for a while. It’s horrible.
Yes I know. That's why the baby bulb syringe for sucking out babies noses is a thing but there's also this vacuum device thingie...It’s exactly because they can’t blow their noses and they can’t figure out how to just open their mouths to breathe. They’re obligate nose breathers for a while. It’s horrible.
Yes I know. That's why the baby bulb syringe for sucking out babies noses is a thing but there's also this vacuum device thingie...
View attachment 285837
Yeah except all most of those things do is make them cry more and they end up with more snot and mucus than they had before.
Remember in gen chem when they told you to waft the smell toward you rather than smell the compound directly? This kind of flies in the face of that principle.there's also this vacuum device thingie...
View attachment 285837
Reminds me of this lovely old practice:
There's the filter that keeps the mucous from getting in your mouthRemember in gen chem when they told you to waft the smell toward you rather than smell the compound directly? This kind of flies in the face of that principle.
Reminds me of this lovely old practice:
![]()
@JoaoMoutinho @libertyyne @tessellations @Ms Procrastinator @Lucca @MrsDrDr @mwsapphire @freak7 @Matthew9Thirtyfive bump!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starting to get a little nervous about my 'acceptance'. I called them to get the acceptance in the first place and they had mailed the letter to my old address but I updated it on AMCAS and told them about it 3-4 weeks ago and still no acceptance packet.
Starting to get a little nervous about my 'acceptance'. I called them to get the acceptance in the first place and they had mailed the letter to my old address but I updated it on AMCAS and told them about it 3-4 weeks ago and still no acceptance packet.
I would definitely call again, but does all the communication also show up on your portal?
There is no way to see communication on this portalI would definitely call again, but does all the communication also show up on your portal?
There is no way to see communication on this portal
Call for sure!
Me in limbo right now. What do I even do with my nights and weekends?!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 620
- Views
- 108K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K