Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

Started by mmmcdowe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks
The biggest point, I think, is knowing you'll be able to pay it off. At the UNECOM open house I was talking to someone who also had a scholarship for UGrad, saying she doesn't feel scared at the idea of taking out loans for med school bc you're virtually guaranteed being able to pay them off. And the rest you mentioned is also true. Now I am at peace.

Yeah I mean schools have almost a 100% graduation and match rate. Barring some unforeseen issue that causes you to fail/drop out, you are essentially guaranteed to match and end up with a well-paying career. And if you are one of the few people who have issues, they can be mitigated by going to your school early.
 
I imagine it must be really hard to work and do well in med school. It's probably why schools don't want you to.
But technically, past a certain point, that is also how it is in college. ( Past, I'd say, the 20 hr/week mark). Plenty of college students are full-time students and also working 30 hours a week, and people seem to think thats okay. However, the stakes in med school are higher, the ROI is more, I see.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But technically, past a certain point, that is also how it is in college. ( Past, I'd say, the 20 hr/week mark). Plenty of college students are full-time students and also working 30 hours a week, and people seem to think thats okay. However, the stakes in med school are higher, the ROI is more, I see.

It’s also a lot more material. We do entire semesters worth of material in a couple weeks in med school.
 
It’s also a lot more material. We do entire semesters worth of material in a couple weeks in med school.
Right, right, that too.
But still, for some people college is as hard to them as med school is for us ( few people in college could handle med school). I guess Im more talking about how ridiculous it is that boomers expect poor kids to "just work while in school 😀" for college students and kids are working nights and going to school during the day and its just insane.
 
Do you guys every get nervous about the " no sick time" stuff you heard about for med school/residency? Like we're all human and have a couple of days of the year where we can't function- the thought of having to work an important job while incapacitated scares the hell out of me. I tend to think of the worst possible thing always so maybe I'm exaggerating.
Thoughts?
 
Do you guys every get nervous about the " no sick time" stuff you heard about for med school/residency? Like we're all human and have a couple of days of the year where we can't function- the thought of having to work an important job while incapacitated scares the hell out of me. I tend to think of the worst possible thing always so maybe I'm exaggerating.
Thoughts?
You make it work. If you're really too sick to work and it will negatively impact patients, most others would cover for you. Just make sure you're really damn sick and have a budget to buy payback cookies.
 
You make it work. If you're really too sick to work and it will negatively impact patients, most others would cover for you. Just make sure you're really damn sick and have a budget to buy payback cookies.
I mean, idk. My most days of being incapacitated are during Ramadan. I feel like if we get vacation time during M4 and residency that can work, I can just use it during Ramadan and then I'm covered for most of the year. As a student, I feel like there's less responsibility such that a day or two sick in the whole year shouldn't cause any issues. And ofc, I'd imagine your coworkers can help out in a pinch if you return the favor. The idea that we will always be feeling well enough to work scares the hell out of me.
 
Do you guys every get nervous about the " no sick time" stuff you heard about for med school/residency? Like we're all human and have a couple of days of the year where we can't function- the thought of having to work an important job while incapacitated scares the hell out of me. I tend to think of the worst possible thing always so maybe I'm exaggerating.
Thoughts?

You’d be surprised what you can work through. Whether you really should is a different story, but unless you have something where you are likely to infect patients, you just go in. I got noro the night before a 24 hour duty once. When I got there in the morning they had an iv and a shot of promethazine waiting for me. I slept when I could and tried not to vomit or **** on anyone.
 
Do you guys every get nervous about the " no sick time" stuff you heard about for med school/residency? Like we're all human and have a couple of days of the year where we can't function- the thought of having to work an important job while incapacitated scares the hell out of me. I tend to think of the worst possible thing always so maybe I'm exaggerating.
Thoughts?
From what I heard from a resident (don't know if it's just her residency program) her sick time comes out of her vacation time. If she uses a "sick day" it comes from her vacation days.
 
From what I heard from a resident (don't know if it's just her residency program) her sick time comes out of her vacation time. If she uses a "sick day" it comes from her vacation days.
That actually sounds fine to me, residents do get good vacation time, no? That's actually the thing that rubs me the wrong way, here's 3+ weeks of vacation, but come to work even if you have six broken legs and pneumonia.
And I mean, if I can use my vaca time during Ramadan, where I'm most likely to need it, I'd likely be fine for the rest of the year. I'm normally okay, I deal with a lot of chronic stuff but am acutely ill not that often.
And @Matthew9Thirtyfive , that is insane. Surely as a student, there's not as much of a need to do that? I'd imagine that's only a thing residency ad onward ( bc how would a student have enough responsibility for calling out 1 day to be an issue).
 
That actually sounds fine to me, residents do get good vacation time, no? That's actually the thing that rubs me the wrong way, here's 3+ weeks of vacation, but come to work even if you have six broken legs and pneumonia.
And I mean, if I can use my vaca time during Ramadan, where I'm most likely to need it, I'd likely be fine for the rest of the year. I'm normally okay, I deal with a lot of chronic stuff but am acutely ill not that often.
And @Matthew9Thirtyfive , that is insane. Surely as a student, there's not as much of a need to do that? I'd imagine that's only a thing residency ad onward ( bc how would a student have enough responsibility for calling out 1 day to be an issue).
There may be a workaround where you could work nights during Ramadan. Pardon my ignorance of the exact rules, but is it forbidden to sleep during the day when you’re fasting?
 
There may be a workaround where you could work nights during Ramadan. Pardon my ignorance of the exact rules, but is it forbidden to sleep during the day when you’re fasting?
It's encouraged to not sleep away the fast unnecessarily. Or sleep more than you need. However, if you decide to work at night and sleeping during the day might be better, that is fine. ( like, the unusually demanding job of being a medical resident)
Well, I've always thought between scheduling a lighter rotation/using vacation time/ or working nights, something will work out.

I'm just more surprised that even during M3 and M4 sick time is an issue. I always assumed students don't have enough responsibility for that to be an issue. My issue during Ramadan is the debilitating dehydration headaches I get for the first couple of days. Dizzyness, pain, vertigo, pain that worsens when I move, is enough to leave me in bed. I don't even break my fast when that happens- just take two Advil, wait for it to kick in, and then eat something.

That's for like, the first two or three days, and then another couple of random days throughout. Most days I am fine. Even then, I wouldn't need the whole day off. It would be something like, I worked 8 or 9 hours out of 12 and now I can't move. I can't help but think that needs to work out somehow. Also, Ramadan has been moving up the calendar. This year, Ramadan was the month of May, so 15-16 hour fasts. If I make it to med school, M3's Ramadan will be the month of April, so like, 14-hour fasts. If I make it to residency, it'll be the month of March, 12-13 hours fasts, which may be easier enough anyway.

Sorry for the long rant. My point is, 1000's of Muslim docs before me have survived medical training. Some of them must have similar issues to me, and they made it work somehow. I should be fine
 
It's encouraged to not sleep away the fast unnecessarily. Or sleep more than you need. However, if you decide to work at night and sleeping during the day might be better, that is fine. ( like, the unusually demanding job of being a medical resident)
Well, I've always thought between scheduling a lighter rotation/using vacation time/ or working nights, something will work out.

I'm just more surprised that even during M3 and M4 sick time is an issue. I always assumed students don't have enough responsibility for that to be an issue. My issue during Ramadan is the debilitating dehydration headaches I get for the first couple of days. Dizzyness, pain, vertigo, pain that worsens when I move, is enough to leave me in bed. I don't even break my fast when that happens- just take two Advil, wait for it to kick in, and then eat something.

That's for like, the first two or three days, and then another couple of random days throughout. Most days I am fine. Even then, I wouldn't need the whole day off. It would be something like, I worked 8 or 9 hours out of 12 and now I can't move. I can't help but think that needs to work out somehow. Also, Ramadan has been moving up the calendar. This year, Ramadan was the month of May, so 15-16 hour fasts. If I make it to med school, M3's Ramadan will be the month of April, so like, 14-hour fasts. If I make it to residency, it'll be the month of March, 12-13 hours fasts, which may be easier enough anyway.
My 2 cents: starting M1, I’d get in touch with the office for disabilities or accommodations or whatever it’s called at your school. Get ahead of it and plan for M3/M4 right away. My bet is that a ton of this is going to be school-dependent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That actually sounds fine to me, residents do get good vacation time, no? That's actually the thing that rubs me the wrong way, here's 3+ weeks of vacation, but come to work even if you have six broken legs and pneumonia.
And I mean, if I can use my vaca time during Ramadan, where I'm most likely to need it, I'd likely be fine for the rest of the year. I'm normally okay, I deal with a lot of chronic stuff but am acutely ill not that often.
And @Matthew9Thirtyfive , that is insane. Surely as a student, there's not as much of a need to do that? I'd imagine that's only a thing residency ad onward ( bc how would a student have enough responsibility for calling out 1 day to be an issue).

Yeah I don’t know. Calling out sick on a rotation for the specialty you want to do is probably not the best idea, but I doubt it would hurt you otherwise.
 
My 2 cents: starting M1, I’d get in touch with the office for disabilities or accommodations or whatever it’s called at your school. Get ahead of it and plan for M3/M4 right away. My bet is that a ton of this is going to be school-dependent.
Accommodation is more likely. Plenty of Muslims make arrangements like this, but it's not a disability haha. I mean overall, out of the whole year, it's the very minimal time it happens, but I can predict when it will, so I think that would be easier.
I think I would do so at the start of M3 or M4, not right when the school year starts.
Sorry for derailing the thread, this is just something that I'm kinda freaked out about. I naturally stress about things that are way far in the future. It's my nature haha.
 
Accommodation is more likely. Plenty of Muslims make arrangements like this, but it's not a disability haha. I mean overall, out of the whole year, it's the very minimal time it happens, but I can predict when it will, so I think that would be easier.
I think I would do so at the start of M3 or M4, not right when the school year starts.
Sorry for derailing the thread, this is just something that I'm kinda freaked out about. I naturally stress about things that are way far in the future. It's my nature haha.

It’s the social thread. There is no such thing as derailing.
 
I just more meant that sometimes it's the same office. I wasn't meaning to imply that you have a disability on account of your religion.
Oh I thought you meant short term severe headaches might count like migraines ( sometimes referred to as a legit health issues) or something hahahah my bad. XD
 
Well, I felt like I was ruining the jovial mood by worrying about sick time/ Ramadan during med school/residency when the ball on my app hasn't even started rolling yet- but I feel like once you apply you kinda, commit to it, so to speak.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I'll never really consider myself "premed" until I submit my app.
 
A site that truly helps students become doctors, but at the cost of all those hours you have to spend reading 10 year old funny threads.

A couple of my top picks:
Normal Saline
Things I learn from my patients
I love things I learn from my patients. Still haven't finished it though.
 
@Sunbodi did you change your profile picture? I don't remember your sun having all the dots under the eyes...
Yes... I prematurely changed my profile picture to a depressed sun after lamenting the cycle. I'll eventually change it back to a happy sun.

Edit: Okay it is back to normal now. Makes me feel cheery.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes... I prematurely changed my profile picture to a depressed sun after lamenting the cycle. I'll eventually change it back to a happy sun.

Edit: Okay it is back to normal now. Makes me feel cheery.
Haha that makes sense, I'm glad it's happy again 😛
 
Can any women relate? Or am I just nuts.
Losing your purse/backpack chapstick makes you feel so disorganized. My brother keeps stealing my chapsticks/skincare products so I'm constantly losing them.
 
How I feel about my UMASS interview invite
" We would really like the ooppurtunity to meet you in person"
1575768514346.png

(Won't actually say this on the day)
 
How I feel about my UMASS interview invite
" We would really like the ooppurtunity to meet you in person"
View attachment 288577
(Won't actually say this on the day)

Actually, it's great that you've received two interview invites. I also look down on myself. Some people's interview advice will include; "And you deserve this seat". And I'm like "um I don't think I deserve anything." But we have to remember not to put ourselves down too much. When I don't believe in myself, I find it easier to remember all the people who believe in me and support me. I hope this helps somewhat.
 
Actually, it's great that you've received two interview invites. I also look down on myself. Some people's interview advice will include; "And you deserve this seat". And I'm like "um I don't think I deserve anything." But we have to remember not to put ourselves down too much. When I don't believe in myself, I find it easier to remember all the people who believe in me and support me. I hope this helps somewhat.
( Im on mobile and can't see your sig/how your cycle is going). I think the " you deserve this seat" advice is just to make us confident. Im sure you and I are very similar- competent but unsure of ourselves.
We're in this together, comrad 🙂
 
HI everyone,
You know one thing about the medical field that excites me....
scrubs. They are so comfy! It's like wearing PJ's to work. I have super dry, sensitive skin that sometimes gets angry when I wear normal clothes ( especially in winter), so scrubs are amazing. Like, I can imagine one of my issues with working long hours would be my skin getting mad, but it seems like long shifts at the hospital are done wearing scrubs. Nice.
 
HI everyone,
You know one thing about the medical field that excites me....
scrubs. They are so comfy! It's like wearing PJ's to work. I have super dry, sensitive skin that sometimes gets angry when I wear normal clothes ( especially in winter), so scrubs are amazing. Like, I can imagine one of my issues with working long hours would be my skin getting mad, but it seems like long shifts at the hospital are done wearing scrubs. Nice.

best scrubs ive ever worn are figs, they're a game changer
 
HI everyone,
You know one thing about the medical field that excites me....
scrubs. They are so comfy! It's like wearing PJ's to work. I have super dry, sensitive skin that sometimes gets angry when I wear normal clothes ( especially in winter), so scrubs are amazing. Like, I can imagine one of my issues with working long hours would be my skin getting mad, but it seems like long shifts at the hospital are done wearing scrubs. Nice.

Yeah sucks when the only part of your body that gets super dry and pissed off is your hands.
 
Yeah sucks when the only part of your body that gets super dry and pissed off is your hands.
Lotion? And its different..dry skin on its own is one thing, but dry skin with jeans or a sweater is way more uncomfy. Hand moisturizing isn't that hard anyway I carry lotion for my hands on me.
 
Lotion? And its different..dry skin on its own is one thing, but dry skin with jeans or a sweater is way more uncomfy. Hand moisturizing isn't that hard anyway I carry lotion for my hands on me.

I have atopic dermatitis. Lotion doesn’t really work and I don’t want to use steroids so I just suffer for like 4 months of the year.
 
I have atopic dermatitis. Lotion doesn’t really work and I don’t want to use steroids so I just suffer for like 4 months of the year.
I have peri oral dermatitis! I had some eye issues ( first a rash bc if hayfever, and then blepharitis) that were treated with low dose steroids, which apperently can cause secondary dermatitis. I use tamanu oil , topical benedryl, and skin-calming serum to treat it. Its so painful and ugly! And now it flares up with anxiety. Fun.

I also use " eczema" moisturizer as a body lotion ( no steroids or drugs, just ingredients that moisturize and calm skin, like oat extract and shea butter). That's been a God send.
 
I'm generally a not a person who does thing spontaneously. So today at work clinic opened an hour and a half late and I didnt know ( long story, but nobody's fault). So I decided to run some spontaneous errands. Went on a Target run and filled up gas. I don't have a manage. I can't be managed:laugh:
 
I'm generally a not a person who does thing spontaneously. So today at work clinic opened an hour and a half late and I didnt know ( long story, but nobody's fault). So I decided to run some spontaneous errands. Went on a Target run and filled up gas. I don't have a manage. I can't be managed:laugh:
not going to lie, after reading the " not generally a person who does things spontaneously" I expected you to tell us that you did something far more exciting than getting gas at target lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
not going to lie, after reading the " not generally a person who does things spontaneously" I expected you to tell us that you did something far more exciting than getting gas at target lol.
Thats the joke... Nvm. Its an inside joke between my best friend and I, I work in a totally different part of the state where I am totally unfamiliar with everything so driving around is unusual for me XD
 
Only paid attention to it this year because there were a couple of tech products on my list, but was Black Friday/Cyber Monday always a market markup compared to Christmas shopping time? A new phone I was looking at around $399 was marked down for Black Friday to $299, however it is currently at $250. Also a laptop going for $699.99 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday is now $750.00, but I wouldn't consider that 6.67% reduction to justify someone impulsively just blowing around $700.00 if they didn't need the device at that time. Looks like in general for products on the higher end of tech that Black Friday is a relatively low value proposition if it doesn't involve more cyclical periphery devices e.g. televisions, monitors, new hardware parts, or external hard drives.
 
Last edited:
Only paid attention to it this year because there were a couple of tech products on my list, but was Black Friday/Cyber Monday always a market markup compared to Christmas shopping time? A new phone I was looking at around $399 was marked down for Black Friday to $299, however it is currently at $250. Also a laptop going for $699.99 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday is now $750.00, but I wouldn't consider that 6.67% reduction to justify someone impulsively just blowing around $700.00 if they didn't need the device at that time. Looks like in general for products on the higher end of tech that Black Friday is a relatively low value proposition if it doesn't involve more cyclical periphery devices e.g. televisions, monitors, new hardware parts, or external hard drives.
Protip: Black Friday and Cyber Monday don't really exist anymore.