Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

Started by mmmcdowe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Matthew9Thirtyfive Students who comes from low SES backgrounds who are looking into college/university systems should be looking at community programs with good linkages into 4-year university programs to stave off having to pay sticker price for all 4 years. Prices are ridiculously high at institutions, however it doesn't mean that as a student you need to pay the full sticker price. If you are able to get scholarships (not loan scholarships) from being an overqualified applicant then you should be able to shave off enormous debt off the top. I went into school with two scholarships, one from the school and another related from a private backer that supported high performing high school students. When I graduated, I finished with twelve scholarships after applying to roughly 125 of them (over four years) and being denied or ghosted from the majority of them. Even if you can't obtain scholarships, obtaining an associate's degree and being able to use that to land a full time job while you attend school part-time is another solution to cut down debt to only federal student loans. These aren't all cures, but there are ways to blunt the expensive edge of the cost of university.

This doesn't absolve the high cost of tuition, but students have options for navigation that can cut down on the cost. Many of my friends now are even transitioning away from their four-year degree specialty into areas that they could have done with a crash course in front-end/back-end development through a code bootcamp or areas of specialty that are met with an associate's degree. Even associate oriented programs are now able to offer bachelor options to their graduates in order to address some long standing issues with respect to employment between ADN v BSN candidates. Regardless, stating that higher education is exclusively a problem created by the older generation is incorrect. Students continue to feed into the educational system instead of seeking alternative options, the cost of programs increase because the demand is still present. To not raise prices as seats become more and more in demand would be to go against the innate drive of business profitability itself.

Law schools had enjoyed a significantly long period of time in which they saw continuing enrollment since 2010-2011. One of the major factors that caused the drastic drop from 2012-2014 was the scam blog movement in which law students, legal graduates, and key faculty began to share how bad employment opportunities were at firms ranging from small to big law, environmental law, patent law, and public law positions. As this became more of a consensus, speakers became more emboldened to call out these institutions in speaking arrangements such as David Frakt at Florida Coastal School of Law who pointed out the high attrition rate and low pass rate on the state bar examination meant that only a handful of students who were part of the class would realistically become christened attorneys. The writer for this article, Paul Campos had started his own blog in 2011 called Inside the Law School Scam (ITLSS) in which he operated anonymously and shared the shortcomings of the law school he was operating within as a legal professor. Campos's accounts showed how his school and law schools in general saw students with the end goal of making a profit, his accounts were so on the nose that associates began to identify him through his posts and he outed himself in public while still maintaining the blog.

When students began to fade away leaving law schools with empty seats, law schools began to adjust by cutting down staff, taking seats off, and reducing their tuition. Institutions had a need to reflect on their practice when the demand was not present. A transition point to this is that federal funding tends to mask the burden of the student needing to afford outrageous prices. Facilitating loan debt certainly incentivizes students to take on risk when they don't need to concern themselves about upfront capital. However, as far as I'm aware almost every federal program that I've come across will be plagued by predatory private businesses attempting to cash in on people who for a brief moment have fool's gold within their hands. Whether you want to associate the predators with being the loan providers, the schools, or the government for playing a more involved role in this entire process the one common element that people can control is their own decision making process on how much of an impact these actors can have within their lives.

Although the law school boom & bust (and boom again?) is a very specific case study, it shows how insensible it is to lump together all boomers together into a generalized category. Individuals like Campos have the courage and the moral fiber to point out b.s. in the systems in which they are present. There are bad actors in every job sector, the individuals who serve as whistle blowers are far and few in between. Thanks to these few people, there can be paradigm shifts in how these systems change holistically. However, these changes often lag behind the speed that individuals can apply creative and logical solutions towards navigating their own solution to these problems. Simply blaming the baby boomer generation is somewhat of an infantile response, especially with the millennial generation aging and being able to have an increasing voice across all sectors. To blame actors who put on the performance when most of us have largely spent the majority of our lives in the audience is like a critic pointing out all the things that went wrong with the performance rather than taking note of the points that were done correctly.
 
Last edited:
@Matthew9Thirtyfive Students who comes from low SES backgrounds who are looking into college/university systems should be looking at community programs with good linkages into 4-year university programs to stave off having to pay sticker price for all 4 years. Prices are ridiculous high at institutions, however it doesn't mean that as a student you need to pay the full sticker price. If you are able to get scholarships (not loan scholarships) from being an overqualified applicant then you should be able to shave off enormous debt off the top. Obtaining an associate's degree and being able to use that to land a full time job while you attend school part-time seems to be a growing trend among students.

This doesn't absolve the high cost of tuition, but students have options for navigation that can cut down on the cost. Many of my friends now are even transitioning away from their four-year degree specialty into areas that they could have done with a crash course in front-end/back-end development through a code bootcamp or areas of specialty that are met with an associate's degree. Even associate oriented programs are now able to offer bachelor options to their graduates in order to address some long standing issues with respect to employment between ADN v BSN candidates. Regardless, stating that higher education is exclusively a problem created by the older generation is incorrect. As students continue to feed into the educational system instead of seeking alternative options that could be arguably just as viable for their long term ambitions.

So your argument is that lower SES students are culpable because they should know better than to go to expensive schools?
Seriously?

Law schools had enjoyed a significantly long period of time in which they saw continuing enrollment since 2010-2011. One of the major factors that caused the drastic drop from 2012-2014 was the scam blog movement in which law students, legal graduates, and key faculty began to share how bad employment opportunities were at firms ranging from small to big law, environmental law, patent law, and public law positions. As this became more of a consensus, speakers became more emboldened to call out these institutions in speaking arrangements such as David Frakt at Florida Coastal School of Law who pointed out the high attrition rate and low pass rate on the state bar examination meant that only a handful of students who were part of the class would realistically become christened attorneys. The writer for this article, Paul Campos had started his own blog in 2011 called Inside the Law School Scam (ITLSS) in which he operated anonymously and shared the shortcomings of the law school he was operating within as a legal professor. Campos's accounts showed how his school and law schools in general saw students with the end goal of making a profit, his accounts were so on the nose that associates began to identify him through his posts and he outed himself in public while still maintaining the blog.

Although this is a very specific case study, it shows how insensible it is to lump together all boomers together into a generalized category. Individuals like Campos have the courage and the moral fiber to point out b.s. in the systems in which they are present. There are bad actors in every job sector, the individuals who serve as whistle blowers are far and few in between. Thanks to these few people, there can be paradigm shifts in how these systems change holistically. However, these changes often lag behind the speed that individuals can apply creative and logical solutions towards navigating their own solution to these problems. Simply blaming the baby boomer generation is somewhat of an infantile response, especially with the millennial generation aging and being able to have an increasing voice across all sectors. To blame actors who put on the performance when most of us have largely spent the majority of our lives in the audience is like a critic pointing out all the things that went wrong with the performance rather than taking note of the points that were done correctly.

I’m not sure if you’re intentionally not understanding me or if I’m just not explaining it clearly enough. Like I said in my other post, there will obviously be exceptions. But the people who are responsible for tuition explosions and legislation that treats education debt like criminal debt are boomers. The people running all of these schools and hiking up tuition are boomers. The people opening scam law schools to make money are boomers.

One thing a lot of millennials are blaming boomers for that really isn’t their fault is the social security issue.
 
@Matthew9Thirtyfive Students who go into the system blindly when tuition is high are responsible for having to deal with the debt. Being outraged or angry at the system doesn't change the system. Making a calculated decision is a necessary decision. I know many classmates who had no idea what scholarships were being offered or bothered to apply for research grants because they were so divorced from seeing the debt as a realistic burden. Perhaps things have "dried up" in terms of scholarships, but with apps like Scholly I feel like students leave way too much money on the table and then complain about the debt ex-post facto. Individuals are always going to have avenues to act that are faster than a system wide change in policy, putting faith on institutions and systems that have many mixed actors is incredibly naive.

With respect to the 2005 passing of the BAPCPA act, it was passed through the House as the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2000 (after applying amendments from the Senate). It was due to a pocket veto from President Clinton under advise from Warren that the bill was delayed from implementation with frequent threats of filibuster if the bill were to pass. Due to an influx of Republicans within the House and Presidency along with unexpected bipartisan support from both sides the act resulted in passing. However, it took a process of 5 years of conscientious and contentious debate within the House before nondischargeable student debt was passed.

I'm not being dense. If you look at things in detail you will see that not all "boomers" wanted to push the current student loan situation on the millennial/Gen Z generation for laughs and giggles. There are particular actors or brief instances that result in changes that can cause a big societal impact, but presuming that the general "boomer" mentality was to discredit the ramifications is an incorrect view to push. When millennials take their part in politics and **** the bed in passing something that we all regret, I will take some umbrage in someone typing, "Millennials RUINED the economy" if it turns out to be a 15 minute video of someone who points out the difficulty in their life but isn't able to observe the outside process.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Matthew9Thirtyfive Students who go into the system blindly when tuition is high are responsible for having to deal with the debt. Being outraged or angry at the system doesn't change the system. Making a calculated decision is a necessary decision. I know many classmates who had no idea what scholarships were being offered or bothered to apply for research grants because they were so divorced from seeing the debt as a realistic burden. Perhaps things have "dried up" in terms of scholarships, but with apps like Scholly I feel like students leave way too much money on the table and then complain about the debt ex-post facto. Individuals are always going to have avenues to act that are faster than a system wide change in policy, putting faith on institutions and systems that have many mixed actors is incredibly naive.

With respect to the 2005 passing of the BAPCPA act, it was passed through the House as the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2000 (after applying amendments from the Senate). It was due to a pocket veto from President Clinton under advise from Warren that the bill was delayed from implementation with frequent threats of filibuster if the bill were to pass. Due to demographic changes within the House and Presidency along with unexpected bipartisan support from both sides that resulted in the act passing.

I'm not being dense. If you look at things in detail you will see that not all "boomers" wanted to push nondischargeable student loans on the millennial/Gen Z generation for laughs and giggles. There are particular actors or brief instances that result in changes that cause big societal impacts, but presuming that the general "boomer" mentality was to discredit the ramifications is an incorrect view to push. When millennials take their part in politics and **** the bed in passing something that we all regret, I will take some umbrage in someone typing, "Millennials RUINED the economy" if there was more nuance to it.

When the vast majority of the Congress is millennials and they do things that are destroying the economy, I will gladly say that millennials are destroying the economy. Because then they will be.

Not sure how else to say this. Not all boomers are like that. The people in power right now are boomers, and they are and have been ****ing things up. So...boomers are destroying things.

Now the millennial generation has a lot to say about it, and we’ll see what they do when they finally get their chance. They might just do more of the same. Who knows.
 
So I am not sure if anyone else feels like this, but does anyone else who has been accepted feel grateful, but also terrified? I am so happy to have gotten into a program I love, but to go in a day from being so *untethered* career-wise, to being able to map out the next 10 years is....insane and mind-bending.

I feel like we have all been working towards this goal *forever* and now it just feels odd to reach that point where you have a future career (as long as I don't mess up atrociously). I gotta run more or something to clear my head and make sense of it all.
 
So I am not sure if anyone else feels like this, but does anyone else who has been accepted feel grateful, but also terrified? I am so happy to have gotten into a program I love, but to go in a day from being so *untethered* career-wise, to being able to map out the next 10 years is....insane and mind-bending.

I feel like we have all been working towards this goal *forever* and now it just feels odd to reach that point where you have a future career (as long as I don't mess up atrociously). I gotta run more or something to clear my head and make sense of it all.

The earliest I can remember wanting to be a doctor was 7 or 8. I didn’t start med school until 35 lol. But no, I was kind of the opposite. It was such a relief to know I’m going to be a doctor and that I don’t need to worry about what I’ll be doing in 1, 5, 10 years.
 
So I am not sure if anyone else feels like this, but does anyone else who has been accepted feel grateful, but also terrified? I am so happy to have gotten into a program I love, but to go in a day from being so *untethered* career-wise, to being able to map out the next 10 years is....insane and mind-bending.

I feel like we have all been working towards this goal *forever* and now it just feels odd to reach that point where you have a future career (as long as I don't mess up atrociously). I gotta run more or something to clear my head and make sense of it all.
I was just talking about that! My random anxiety about what life will look like in the next ten years if I do get in ( Im literally just on the interview trail but I'm naturally so nuerotic I'm always worried, already, this preemptively). Its like you're either anxious about what you'll do if you don't get int med school to worrying about surviving medical training. There's always something!
 
@mwsapphire Ah yes. Psychiatry v Neurology. Anxiety v Neuroses. When you smile and notice facial droop, do you see inner depression in the mirror or run through BEFAST/NIH to see if you're a tPA candidate? Merry Christmas Eve.
 
I was just talking about that! My random anxiety about what life will look like in the next ten years if I do get in ( Im literally just on the interview trail but I'm naturally so nuerotic I'm always worried, already, this preemptively). Its like you're either anxious about what you'll do if you don't get int med school to worrying about surviving medical training. There's always something!
You’re going to drive yourself crazy if you keep this up. Just focus on the immediate things that you can control, like your upcoming II, and just let the rest fall into place
 
I'm enjoying Christmas single, downloaded 10 hours of jazz and lo fi hip hop jingles, working a 12 hour shift with a patient who will probably have HSV shingles, I'll probably be the only one typing on SDN social mid of midnight shift looking to mingle.
 
Last edited:
@mmmcdowe @JoaoMoutinho @libertyyne @Lucca @Doktor_dud3 @freak7 @Matthew9Thirtyfive bump!

weird_hill_2x.png
 
Just bought cotton jeans! Two pairs on sale at Lucky brand! They didn't have short lady sizes but I can fold em a bit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is this thread strictly for off-topic posts? i have a couple questions that i don't feel warrants the creation of a thread, but on the other hand it could be useful for others
 
Guess I'll ask here then, haha. I'm taking ochem II, physics I, and bio lab next quarter, along with a decent amount of ECs taking up my time. I never took physics in high school, so I'm a little bit worried at how it might go. Along with that, I walked out of ochem I with an A but am not confident in my foundational knowledge. This fall quarter, I earned a 4.0 with a maximum courseload along with balancing a job (one 6 hour shift a week) and other ECs, but this is my first time doing this as I somewhat struggled my first year.

From some reputable people I've asked so far, I've been recommended to drop physics, but I would have to adjust my courseload. A physics class further along in the series is required for one of my upper divs and I was advised to start the physics series now in order to complete it before I start my physiology upper divs. Do you all think I should drop physics and take another class?

My second semester of sophomore year I took Orgo II, Physics II, Intro Biochem lab, and Orgo lab while doing research and working six hours a week. I think what you’re doing is a very reasonable premed course load.
 
Last edited:
Guess I'll ask here then, haha. I'm taking ochem II, physics I, and bio lab next quarter, along with a decent amount of ECs taking up my time. I never took physics in high school, so I'm a little bit worried at how it might go. Along with that, I walked out of ochem I with an A but am not confident in my foundational knowledge. This fall quarter, I earned a 4.0 with a maximum courseload along with balancing a job (one 6 hour shift a week) and other ECs, but this is my first time doing this as I somewhat struggled my first year.

From some reputable people I've asked so far, I've been recommended to drop physics, but I would have to adjust my courseload. A physics class further along in the series is required for one of my upper divs and I was advised to start the physics series now in order to complete it before I start my physiology upper divs. Do you all think I should drop physics and take another class?

Is it calc based or algebra based? Algebra based physics is pretty easy. I took Genetics with lab, physics II with lab, gen chem II, calc, and an MCAT class plus had a family and ECs to do, and it was fine. I never took physics in high school either. If you go into it trying to learn the actual concepts and the relationships rather than just rote memorization of formulae, it will be much easier. Plus, the second semester is optics and stuff. It's more fun.
 
You know, buying an interview suit and looking at the "dress code" thread has really got me re-thinking my wardrobe. I normally wear nice , longer sweater ( past my hips) or long button-down shirts ( think knee length ) with nice jeans or khakis. ( and hijab,ofc)
I wore a lot of skirts as a little girl, knee length ones with classic nylon tights/cotton leggies. Im thinking of incorporating more full length skirts/midi skirts into my wardrobe, with comfy cotton leggings. I think they'd be more comfy than jeans, and I could wear them with a normal length cotton top or sweater. I have one maxi skirt that I never got a matching, shorter shirt for. I always avoided long skirts in HS/college bc I thought they look a little too preppy. But now that I'm a little older/ done with college I'm gonna give em a shot. Tons of my muslim friends love skirts for comfort/modesty. I wonder if it would be more comfy for longer hours once I have a full-time job of some kind ( whether medicine or the biotech, since I wear scrubs to work now).
 
Tons of my muslim friends love skirts for comfort/modesty. I wonder if it would be more comfy for longer hours once I have a full-time job of some kind ( whether medicine or the biotech, since I wear scrubs to work now).

Also a hijabi here! I started wearing skirts again for the first time after many years and it's definitely an adjustment cause I'm not used to it, can't say they're really more comfy cause I feel restricted not being able to move the way I do in pants, but I'm glad I'm expanding my wardrobe a bit and skirts are just. cute.

I also have a bunch of full length dresses for events that I really love and want to be confident enough to wear casually too...maybe someday.
 
Also a hijabi here! I started wearing skirts again for the first time after many years and it's definitely an adjustment cause I'm not used to it, can't say they're really more comfy cause I feel restricted not being able to move the way I do in pants, but I'm glad I'm expanding my wardrobe a bit and skirts are just. cute.

I also have a bunch of full length dresses for events that I really love and want to be confident enough to wear casually too...maybe someday.
Im starting again soon! I have this long skirt from Tommy Hilfiger that has an elastic top and just needs a "short" blouse to wear with it...
I also stopped wearing them in HS/college because everyone has jeans on and long skirts automatically command kind of a formal look to them. Like, my classmates come to class in leggings and a sweatshirt, even wearing a nice sweater with jeans looks too nice. So a ( long) skirt automatically looks...too nice. The only thing is, with skirts you give up pockets, so I have to get back into the habit of stashing my keys in my bag rather than my pocket.


Yeah, cotton tights and an elastic waist-band skirt are more comfy than stiff jeans for some people.

But, in light of the " med students dress well" ( at least once you get to clinic, but my friend in med school says she dressed nicer even for pre-clinical because of the school campus being superimposed onto the university hospital) , so I feel like I'd feel better wearing them to med school if I get in.

And, someone on the "dress code" thread mentioned a dress/skirt as a comfy/practical way to dress business casual for clinical years ( I think it was ciestar) when it actually is needed. ( A long, A-line skirt is not actually as restricting as a short, pencil skirts that hugs the legs). Gonna start with the skirt I have, then I buy more stuff that looks like this:

I love typical feminine stuff, really wanna add skirts back into my look along with my usual soft makeup. Long skirts are kind of a staple for hijab wearing girls.
 
Does/did anyone else struggle with what to choose as their major during undergrad? I have all my premed courses mapped out but I still have to cram an actual major in there and I have no idea what I want.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm new here)
 
Does/did anyone else struggle with what to choose as their major during undergrad? I have all my premed courses mapped out but I still have to cram an actual major in there and I have no idea what I want.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm new here)

I had the same problem and ended up doing 2 majors lol. But what I did was pick a science major that used all the premed courses and I could probably use it to get a job or go to grad school if the medicine thing didn’t work out, and then I picked a minor that was fun and interesting to me (which eventually evolved into a major).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had the same problem and ended up doing 2 majors lol. But what I did was pick a science major that used all the premed courses and I could probably use it to get a job or go to grad school if the medicine thing didn’t work out, and then I picked a minor that was fun and interesting to me (which eventually evolved into a major).

I thought about majoring in biology, but I'm unsure. I know that one is popular among premeds, I'm assuming because of the overlap like you said. Either way, I need 30 credits of something as a major. I thought about doing sociology, but a degree like that would serve me no good if I couldn't get into med school.
 
I thought about majoring in biology, but I'm unsure. I know that one is popular among premeds, I'm assuming because of the overlap like you said. Either way, I need 30 credits of something as a major. I thought about doing sociology, but a degree like that would serve me no good if I couldn't get into med school.

To be fair, bio is also not always the best option if you're not going on to med/grad school and your major concern is employability directly within your field. May depend on your program/connections, but I know lots of bio grads who ended up going to grad school or just floundering around because they couldn't figure out what else to do with their degree beyond entry-level research jobs. A sociology job degree won't set you up for any specific career path outside academia either, though if you have any interest in humanities/nonprofit/education type work it may be useful.

that said, my undergrad degree (not sociology but more similar to that than bio) wasn't any sort of "career prep" degree either, and I wouldn't change it for anything. While I'm glad I ended up in medicine, I learned so much from my non-stem education and had some interesting backup options had med school not worked out.
 
Does/did anyone else struggle with what to choose as their major during undergrad? I have all my premed courses mapped out but I still have to cram an actual major in there and I have no idea what I want.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm new here)

I did. Never graduated high school but one of the last classes I remember liking was a chemistry class so I majored in that. Ended up switching to liberal arts my junior year so I could just take classes I enjoyed, would actually contribute to my career path, and allow me to explore intellectual interests.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. This is a random question for everyone, but especially women:
How many of you keep things you may need in your car instead of your purse? I used to put extra things ( makeup wipes, extra fem. products, sunglasses, etc) in my purse or backpack but now at work I can only keep a tiny purse with my phone/wallet and don't have a locker , so, I'm asking ya'll, do you stash extra stuff in your car?
 
Hi everyone. This is a random question for everyone, but especially women:
How many of you keep things you may need in your car instead of your purse? I used to put extra things ( makeup wipes, extra fem. products, sunglasses, etc) in my purse or backpack but now at work I can only keep a tiny purse with my phone/wallet and don't have a locker , so, I'm asking ya'll, do you stash extra stuff in your car?

I keep a portable jumper and a bailout bag in my car.
 
I follow the subreddit r/babies and look what was posted on there, recently:
The caption reads " Nobody better mess with big brother...or you'll get little sister"
The baby girl is so serious-looking at cute she looks like a doll 😍
 

Attachments

  • 007413E9-7E0D-46EA-A609-B902F662163F.png
    007413E9-7E0D-46EA-A609-B902F662163F.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 141
Hi all, I've been a little anxious and a bit depress thinking about the future. Not sure if this is the right place to put this but..

I graduated in May 2019 with a degree in biochemistry with all of the prereqs finished. I ended up with a 3.88 Ogpa and a 3.89 sGPA. Since the beginning of college, I had the idea of applying to dental school so I did everything I can possibly do to have a pretty good application. I did a ton of ECs focused on community service (around 1000 hours). A year of research including presenting a poster. And I decided to take a gap year where I have done teaching assistant and still volunteer around my community (wanted to keep myself busy). With all that I was accepted to 6 of the 9 dental schools I applied too and waitlisted at 1. Yet the more I think about the future, including the immense debt in dentistry, the less I am inclined to proceed with this profession. I also had a bit of a heart issue this past month which made me see up close the exciting mechanism that is necessary in the hospital.

If you were in my shoes, what should/can I do? I already have the prereqs done, I am still doing community service, but no research and probably would need new recommendation letters (?). But I feel like if I make this switch now (before I even start dental school and apply next year) the easier it is to accomplish this transition. The more the days pass by the more I am thinking about medicine. Any help and insight would be appeciated, I've been losing sleep thinking a lot about this.


I'm going to be completely honest.

It doesn't seem like you have wanted to be a doctor for a long time. You seemed to reroute yourself quickly at the idea of accumulating debt, which is funny to me considering that doctors are often $250,000+ in debt after medical school and unable to pay much towards it while in residency, meaning that interest accumulates even more. Being a doctor is extremely difficult, and I don't know if you've put much thought into it. Many people here have wanted to become doctors since a very young age, or had years of personal struggles that ended with them deciding to go into medicine (illness, sick family member, near death experience, etc). It may be unwise to decide to pursue medicine because you view it as "exciting" after a brief medical encounter. You don't want to give yourself an unrealistic/idealistic view of what you are getting into.

Have you considered another medical profession that isn't becoming a doctor? What about becoming a CRNA or PA?
 
Last edited:
I'm going to be completely honest.

It doesn't seem like you have wanted to be a doctor for a long time. You seemed to reroute yourself quickly at the idea of accumulating debt, which is funny to me considering that doctors are often $250,000+ in debt after medical school and unable to pay much towards it while in residency, meaning that interest accumulates even more. Being a doctor is extremely difficult, and I don't know if you've put much thought into it. Many people here have wanted to become doctors since a very young age, or had years of personal struggles that ended with them deciding to go into medicine (illness, sick family member, near death experience, etc). It may be unwise to decide to pursue medicine because you view it as "exciting" after a brief medical encounter. You don't want to give yourself an unrealistic/idealistic view of what you are getting into.

Thank you for the reply, I didn't end up including more details about my interest in medicine because then it would've been a really long post (which I deleted because I was going to make it its own post). I have been thinking immensely about the situation I'm in, including throughout the last year and a half of undergrad, and I realize more and more that instead of being so focused on one career, and my academics, I wish I could've explored medicine beyond the personal situations I've been in.
 
Thank you for the reply, I didn't end up including more details about my interest in medicine because then it would've been a really long post (which I deleted because I was going to make it its own post). I have been thinking immensely about the situation I'm in, including throughout the last year and a half of undergrad, and I realize more and more that instead of being so focused on one career, and my academics, I wish I could've explored medicine beyond the personal situations I've been in.


Yeah, that makes sense. Would you consider a gap year or two to take the MCAT and do physician shadowing? That might give you a better idea if medicine is the right path.
 
Yeah, that makes sense. Would you consider a gap year or two to take the MCAT and do physician shadowing? That might give you a better idea if medicine is the right path.

I would actually, as well as try to achieve some clinical hours. I have graduated already so I feel like the free time I have now can be used to shadow my local doctors and apply to clinical experiences around me. The only thing that is holding me back is whether my school advising office is okay with me doing something like this...
 
I would actually, as well as try to achieve some clinical hours. I have graduated already so I feel like the free time I have now can be used to shadow my local doctors and apply to clinical experiences around me. The only thing that is holding me back is whether my school advising office is okay with me doing something like this...


I think that's a good plan. Clinical hours and shadowing are very important for med school admission, so I think taking time off from school and gaining those experiences will give you a better idea of what you're meant to do. Also consider CRNA or PA path like I said before! Might be up your alley.
 
Two tidbits from work today:
- After working here for over 6 wks I'm slowly learning of the tasty eateries we have down the street, two min drive away- a pizza/pasta sub place with amazing ravioli and an Adia resto. with sushi!And no rice wine in the rice!
- Started wearing cotton leggies under my scrubs and I am so comfy how did I wear scrubs before this...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question,

Just found out that the tutoring program I worked with last year wasn't able to offer me a position for the spring (It's an official university group that hires supplemental instructors to hold additional guided study sessions for courses like organic chemistry). I listed on AMCAS that I planned on continuing with this position in the Spring (120 hours done so far at time of application submission, with another 120 hours projected for this upcoming spring). Fortunately, I've already been accepted to some schools, so do I need to update them? I was thinking of calling in on Monday to let them know, though I might wait and see if I can find another tutoring position for the spring...
 
Quick question,

Just found out that the tutoring program I worked with last year wasn't able to offer me a position for the spring (It's an official university group that hires supplemental instructors to hold additional guided study sessions for courses like organic chemistry). I listed on AMCAS that I planned on continuing with this position in the Spring (120 hours done so far at time of application submission, with another 120 hours projected for this upcoming spring). Fortunately, I've already been accepted to some schools, so do I need to update them? I was thinking of calling in on Monday to let them know, though I might wait and see if I can find another tutoring position for the spring...
Wouldn't stress. Those were planned hours. Not your fault.
 
Alright, in y'all's humble opinions....... if you HAD to choose between taking general chemistry 1 at a community college or at a 4-year, which would you choose? Both of them are over the summer, 8 weeks or so instead of the usual 15 except it is held every day at the 4-year college instead of 3 days per week like at the CC. The CC is $936 for it and the 4-year is around $1200. The money doesn't matter as much, as I get good FAFSA, but it is still a factor.

I'm stuck between choosing which to do because of some circumstances I can't help. Also, I would like to graduate on time and not have to delay my MCAT, hence why I'm doing it in the summer. I am torn because the CC is cheaper and probably easier, plus the chemistry department at my 4-year school is wack. I have heard extremely mixed things about the gen chem profs. However, I prefer being on my own campus and feel that a more difficult class at a 4-year will set me up better for more difficult chemistry classes going forward. I don't just want an easy A. As for the professors, I have heard good things about both who are teaching each this summer.

Thoughts?