Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

Started by mmmcdowe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Matthew9Thirtyfive @limeyguydr Can we shut this line of convo down? I think that there is fair basis for evaluating someone, but not when they can't appropriately respond through the same medium. If you looked deeper in his comments, he actually has a high level of respect for this site even after being banned. I don't know if you have ever experienced being **** on by bystanders after something should have already cleared the waters, but it leaves a very bad taste when no one is there to at least be a devil's advocate for you. Because as much as I vouch for transparency, there is something fundamentally wrong about criticizing someone who is not available to take the criticism in a constructive manner.

#Team Memelord

I agree, mostly because he’s not here to defend himself and it’s not really fair to insult someone when he can’t stand up for himself. To be clear, it’s just part of his personality, and I wasn’t judging him for it. Just pointing it out. But it’s a slippery slope so let’s move on.
 
@tessellations @ekmf27050 @premed20172017 @MrsDrDr @mwsapphire bump!

after-this.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any of you ladies randomly have to retire a pair of jeans bc they are..so itchy. I swear the odd pair of jeans are actually made of sandpaper- and you think they'll get easier to wear overtime but NOPE. I have other pants. These goin' in the trash
 
Do any of you ladies randomly have to retire a pair of jeans bc they are..so itchy. I swear the odd pair of jeans are actually made of sandpaper- and you think they'll get easier to wear overtime but NOPE. I have other pants. These goin' in the trash

Not itchy, but pilly (if that's a word) on the inside. I hate it. I feel like old school denim did not do this.
 
Do any of you ladies randomly have to retire a pair of jeans bc they are..so itchy. I swear the odd pair of jeans are actually made of sandpaper- and you think they'll get easier to wear overtime but NOPE. I have other pants. These goin' in the trash
Pajamajeans.com ... They’re life changing
 
Pajamajeans.com ... They’re life changing
I checked the labels on all my other pants ( 2 pairs khakis and 2 other jean pairs). They are 100 percent cotton. These jeans are 12 percent polyester. It wasn't just in my head! My skin is really dry and sensitive, so I always assumed that was the issue. No. They actually are made of a rough material. Just gotta make sure to never buy jeans with polyester again. And I'll be fine. Gap jeans are qaulittyy tho.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rochester! I can’t believe they got back to me so fast, I literally just interviewed there last week!

I started a forum for second look weekend dates and Rochester is on there already since they posted!!!
 
I do believe, that besides the people getting post-interview decisions, that the Christmas slow down will mean that myself and others won't hear anything else ( II's, R's and such) until after the year turns.
 
So, I lived at home during undergrad. Im living at home during my gap year. So I literally have never lived away from home and I'm 22.
Can I just say...I think I'm ready to leave the nest.

Anybody else in a really weird place for their gap year/application cycle/what have you? I'm having pretty insane anxiety about the past,present, and of course, the future. ( If my recent SDN posts are any indication).

Anyone else? Does this pass, eventually?
 
So, I lived at home during undergrad. Im living at home during my gap year. So I literally have never lived away from home and I'm 22.
Can I just say...I think I'm ready to leave the nest.

Anybody else in a really weird place for their gap year/application cycle/what have you? I'm having pretty insane anxiety about the past,present, and of course, the future. ( If my recent SDN posts are any indication).

Anyone else? Does this pass, eventually?

Leaving the nest or anxiety of the future? Im 25 and back at home for the app cycle. Really sucks.
 
@mwsapphire Absolutely lowest point of my life, but in retrospect one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. Parents basically were hard pushing me during the gap year process to take the MCAT ASAP and if I bombed, they were even pushing the Caribbean. Then they went full on neurotic and were telling me to do law school because, "the medicine thing didn't work out" and "you clearly ****ed up" etc. s/p 6 months after graduation. Meanwhile, I was working a minimum wage job as a CVS pharm tech making $8.50 - $9.25 an hour attempting to hit up any health sciences job that would take a college grad who worked their way through their entire undergrad program in a CS related field (because it paid $15 an hour and full time positions).

Parents got tired of me, changed the locks. Told me that I was on my own and the bags were in the car. Hit up some friends from college who were now all over the place. Ended up traveling for the next half a decade to anywhere and everywhere from Manhattan New York to Miramar Florida. I basically worked like a mad man once I settled down and found a job in an area and saved up until the housing situation more or less expired. Worked the gamut from being a pharm tech to working as a med scribe and a CNA in a number of facilities. Lived out of homes, mostly lived out of my car, and although it was one of the most existential periods of time in my life it retroactively gave my life meaning in the sense that I probably learned more about who I was from my time as a vagrant than I did during the greater portion of my life at home and in school.
 
@mwsapphire Absolutely lowest point of my life, but in retrospect one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. Parents basically were hard pushing me during the gap year process to take the MCAT ASAP and if I bombed, they were even pushing the Caribbean. Then they went full on neurotic and were telling me to do law school because, "the medicine thing didn't work out" and "you clearly ****ed up" etc. s/p 6 months after graduation. Meanwhile, I was working a minimum wage job as a CVS pharm tech making $8.50 - $9.25 an hour attempting to hit up any health sciences job that would take a college grad who worked their way through their entire undergrad program in a CS related field (because it paid $15 an hour and full time positions).

Parents got tired of me, changed the locks. Told me that I was on my own and the bags were in the car. Hit up some friends from college who were now all over the place. Ended up traveling for the next half a decade to anywhere and everywhere from Manhattan New York to Miramar Florida. I basically worked like a mad man once I settled down and found a job in an area and saved up until the housing situation more or less expired. Worked the gamut from being a pharm tech to working as a med scribe and a CNA in a number of facilities. Lived out of homes, mostly lived out of my car, and although it was one of the most existential periods of time in my life it retroactively gave my life meaning in the sense that I probably learned more about who I was from my time as a vagrant than I did during the greater portion of my life at home and in school.
Wow. My situation is not that bad at all, my parents are happy with me at home and were encouraging me to apply and my July MCAT turned out well.
Your parents sound...not very nice. Why do some Americans kick out their college grad age kids? Like what is the motivation for doing that?
 
Wow. My situation is not that bad at all, my parents are happy with me at home and were encouraging me to apply and my July MCAT turned out well.
Your parents sound...not very nice. Why do some Americans kick out their college grad age kids? Like what is the motivation for doing that?

Boomers are the worst. A complete lack of understanding that today’s world is completely different from when they were that age.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel you. I moved back home after college for my two gap years and while I love my parents, I absolutely cannot wait to move out again.
I have never moved out so on one hand I'm nervous, OTOH , I wanna get as far away from all the stupid drama in my house as possible.
 
Boomers are the worst. A complete lack of understanding that today’s world is completely different from when they were that age.
But why kick out your kid?! Even if you don't totally understand it, is your child at home killing you? Like why eject the offspring?! Why?!
 
But why kick out your kid?! Even if you don't totally understand it, is your child at home killing you? Like why eject the offspring?! Why?!

These are the same people that are destroying the environment, destroying job markets, endangering patients by pushing for MLP independence, and burdening college grads with increasingly large educational debt that is treated like criminal debt—all for money. They are the worst generation to exist on this planet.
 
@mwsapphire In conversations that we have had since then, they more or less felt that I was being deceptive or disingenuous. I was almost a full ride scholarship student who went to state uni and worked full time in order to pay off living expenses. They more or less thought that I had "made it" since freshman year of university and basically allowed me to study what I wanted to study and do what I wanted to do. I basically took care of myself and accrued little to no debt during my four years in school, however this mentality also meant that my grades were very mediocre (not good enough for medical school, not bad enough to lose multiple scholarships). When I came back home without having that same degree of independence, they thought that I had ****ed up somewhere. Even before this both nuclear family/extended family were by American convention considered to be somewhat toxic. Specifically in my case, when you've been flexing your kid in front of friends and family for 4 years as having "made it" since freshman year and then you're carrying this kid around in family functions now as a live-at-home failure then the implications are frankly unhealthy especially considering the more collectivist/group-think attitude that permeates the toxic aspects of my culture.
 
Disowning kids, although usually for different reasons is more common from a cultural standpoint of where I'm culturally from than it is in America. The same goes with comparing kids and using them as a form of social fiat. There is a recent popular drama/satire that sort of illustrates the type of social interactions that I was privy to called SKY 캐슬 that sort of highlights what this type of cultural behavior entails. However, I never really thought that my parents necessarily did it out of personal reasons and they attempted to reconcile with me after likely dealing with the awkward social interactions of friends & family of having no kid present to such functions (... about ten years afterwards).

Having gone up and down the entire east coast and knowing that I can basically live out of my car if I need to basically gave me an ego boost that my life was going to turn out okay and if I ended up losing support, then I could probably make any situation work. It allowed time for self-introspection and emphasized the importance of having a clear rational line of thinking even if other people are getting emotional and losing their ****. I don't like to push people on this site into "do X, enroll Y, apply Z" format of advice because I think that the internal growth you gain from struggling in the process can be invaluable and having other people become introspective sooner rather than later is arguably just as important as external success when it comes to the larger picture of this entire journey.
 
Last edited:
I have never moved out so on one hand I'm nervous, OTOH , I wanna get as far away from all the stupid drama in my house as possible.
it'll be weird at first and youll find yourself questioning your ability to "adult", like not going to lie I was fairly sheltered/ pampered so when I moved out I had to learn the basics, like how to use this strange thing called the "dishwasher" or my favorite lesson, not to wash my white pants with a pink polo...you'll make mistakes and miss mom's home cooking but after a month or so you'll see how liberating it is to be out on your own and really start to love it
 
I really appreciated my parents approach of "get out and forge your own path but when you inevitably fall flat on your face well be here with a bowl of matzo ball soup and a warm bed to break your fall"

Yeah, well that's the benefit of having Jewish parents. My post wasn't a reflection of my own experience, as my family was always willing to be a safety net for me.
 
Also gonna chime in and say that my family situation is tenuous at best - they're "supportive" but suffocating. Don't think I could truly cut them off, but I am so looking forward to getting some space again. Was away for 5+ years before coming back home to save money and I'm about at wits end...Haven't been around them this long since high school and definitely taking a toll on mental health LMFAO....

Asian families seem to use tough love to varying degrees....They definitely don't let me catch a break but I know they care, even if they're a bit effed up about it. It's a complex situation to be in and I guess even tho it's really messed with me it's a big part of why I've been able to grow and develop a sense of empathy and nonjudgement for people in different situations (ie. let's not be like mom and dad)
 
Not itchy, but pilly (if that's a word) on the inside. I hate it. I feel like old school denim did not do this.
These are the same people that are destroying the environment, destroying job markets, endangering patients by pushing for MLP independence, and burdening college grads with increasingly large educational debt that is treated like criminal debt—all for money. They are the worst generation to exist on this planet.
So you lump everyone together, Trump and Bill / Melinda Gates alike?
As a physician do you want to be lumped in with all how other physicians that have failed their oath to do no harm etc?
 
So you lump everyone together, Trump and Bill / Melinda Gates alike?
As a physician do you want to be lumped in with all how other physicians that have failed their oath to do no harm etc?

On an Internet forum where we are generalizing already? Sure. Obviously there are exceptions, but the vast majority of the people doing those things are the boomer generation. Now the rest of us have to try to fix what they broke.
 
So you lump everyone together, Trump and Bill / Melinda Gates alike?
As a physician do you want to be lumped in with all how other physicians that have failed their oath to do no harm etc?
I take it you're an American parent who fully financially supported your kid?
I'm not saying that a good half or so of well off Americans ( at least half) don't support their kid financially. One of my fav profs was actually just telling me how he paid college costs ( tuition and room/board) in full for both of his kidjets, and he's glad that he was able to do that. He even paid for his daughter's master's. He also said that she has started working in NY ( she's an artist, so that's where the jobs are for her) , she is living with her uncle ( can't afford her own apartment) but "We're still paying for a lot of her stuff" while she earns a very modest salary.
So I'm not saying every American family is like this, just enough that it bogles my little Asian brain.
 
Also! Just checked my grades. I got a solid B in both Computing II and Calc II. For DO that makes no difference in my science GPA. For MD, the B in Calc II lowers my sci GPA slightly, but post II/A grades matter very little anyway. And I still have magna cum status! Yay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I take it you're an American parent who fully financially supported your kid?
I'm not saying that a good half or so of well off Americans ( at least half) don't support their kid financially. One of my fav profs was actually just telling me how he paid college costs ( tuition and room/board) in full for both of his kidjets, and he's glad that he was able to do that. He even paid for his daughter's master's. He also said that she has started working in NY ( she's an artist, so that's where the jobs are for her) , she is living with her uncle ( can't afford her own apartment) but "We're still paying for a lot of her stuff" while she earns a very modest salary.
So I'm not saying every American family is like this, just enough that it bogles my little Asian brain.
I fall typically in the low middle for my generation relating to my financial views for supporting young adults in their endeavors. Somewhere between cutoff at 18, and full financial support for and through grad school. And of course, it not fully unconditional.
 
These are the same people that are destroying the environment, destroying job markets, endangering patients by pushing for MLP independence, and burdening college grads with increasingly large educational debt that is treated like criminal debt—all for money. They are the worst generation to exist on this planet.
Millennials and younger generations play a major contributing factor to environmental issues, the declining market, and the student debt crisis. Subtracting our role in all these issues is wholly inaccurate and we will come up short when it comes to making seeming social reparations for the tax that we have placed on the world when we are done with it. In my humble opinion.
 
Millennials and younger generations play a major contributing factor to environmental issues, the declining market, and the student debt crisis. Subtracting our role in all these issues is wholly inaccurate and we likely will come up short when it comes to making seeming social reparations for the tax that we have placed on the world when we are done with it.

I didn’t realize millennials were the ones responsible for the ridiculous tuition ballooning that has outpaced inflation for decades or the legislation that made education debt able to be treated like criminal debt. I also didn’t realize they were the ones in government responsible for pushing against legislation that has an semblance of benefit to the environment. Considering there are only 26 millennials in Congress, I don’t think they’re having too much of an impact.
 
They also aren’t the ones who have trained a generation of mid-levels to replace physicians for lower cost so that they can maximize profits at the expense of patient safety and physician jobs. At least not the majority.

I’m not a “sky is falling” in the physician job market kind of person, but there are absolutely physicians being replaced by mid-levels and they are out there practicing independently and endangering patients. And guess who trains them.

Now millennials definitely have a hand in this as well, I’ll grant you that.