Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

Started by mmmcdowe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is absurd. Do you know what the infection rate is for certain physicians or he complication rate ? Or the rate of over utilization? No body tracks that information closely. This information is not easily accessible or digestible for the average person. People still go to chiropractioners and homeopathic charlatans. Licensure is a necessary evil for baseline competency determination. Any jack ass can hang a shingle and then skip town once he going gets though. As much as ayn rand followers hate it, it is necessary for modern functioning societies. Somalia doesn't look like a very nice place to live even though it is exactly without licensure and other "government meddling".

Well, I'm glad you feel strongly about this, but I'm not convinced it's outright absurd. Now, let me be clear, I am not advocating for anything here--just entertaining the thought. That said, 1) I don't think the idea is that patients will necessarily look that deeply into physician credentials if there is no licensure. Rather, I think the idea is that they would, at the basic level, want to know that the doctor did in fact complete medical school, etc. It would be in the interest of medical schools, etc's reputations to ensure their graduates are of said baseline competency. 2) Somali example does not work here. We would want to compare the effect on healthcare/outcomes. I would most like to see the effect before and after a country did away with an in-place licensure if that exists (doubtful, but I did just learn this discourse has ever even existed, so bare with me). 3) Introducing new idea here. I thought of a scenario of one possible facet of the effect if we did away with licensing: FMGs, who paid/paying less for education and training, (or grads of some cheaper kind of medical school that sprouts, or any doctor who is willing and able to charge less) charge less for their services. Might the quality of care be lower? Maybe. Would it be cheaper for consumers? Yes. Would this do greater utilitarian good (would the amount saved on healthcare be worth the quality risk)? This is my primary interest.

edit - slightly regretting digging into a political issue in a social thread. forgive me. forge on
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats ? Well I am sad you won't be prepping for step with the rest of us, enjoy the year with freak8 since time goes by quickly.
Yeah I mean I was all jazzed up to make everything work out by the skin of my teeth but my wife wasn't too amped on it since she's not the same type of person. Not worth risking my marriage or relationship with our kid over it. I know it was the right choice but it's not the choice I wanted. I guess that's just part of being a big boy though
 
Totally random, but if you don't want the senate to pass the AHCA, you should call your senators ASAP to voice your concerns. I made a post on a few social media sites linking friends to a script I made for Democratic senators and scripts for Republican senators. Feel free to PM me for those resources! Even if your senators oppose the AHCA, you should encourage them to do everything in their power to stop it.

Also if you live in Alaska, West Virginia, Maine, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Louisiana or Arkansas and you're against the AHCA, one or two of your senators is on the edge and you should 100% give their office a call.

Ok, back to your regular social thread programming. I was just really feeling my civic duty today.

Also, I feel like I've disappeared from here except to occasionally like things. I'm still alive, lol.
 
@tessellations astrodog bump!

dog-astronaut.png
 
Totally random, but if you don't want the senate to pass the AHCA, you should call your senators ASAP to voice your concerns. I made a post on a few social media sites linking friends to a script I made for Democratic senators and scripts for Republican senators. Feel free to PM me for those resources! Even if your senators oppose the AHCA, you should encourage them to do everything in their power to stop it.

Also if you live in Alaska, West Virginia, Maine, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Louisiana or Arkansas and you're against the AHCA, one or two of your senators is on the edge and you should 100% give their office a call.

Ok, back to your regular social thread programming. I was just really feeling my civic duty today.

Also, I feel like I've disappeared from here except to occasionally like things. I'm still alive, lol.

issues.png
 
Well, I'm glad you feel strongly about this, but I'm not convinced it's outright absurd. Now, let me be clear, I am not advocating for anything here--just entertaining the thought.

Of course.

That said, 1) I don't think the idea is that patients will necessarily look that deeply into physician credentials if there is no licensure. Rather, I think the idea is that they would, at the basic level, want to know that the doctor did in fact complete medical school, etc. It would be in the interest of medical schools, etc's reputations to ensure their graduates are of said baseline competency.

Except that they don't. Most patients don't know the difference between an MD or a DO, don't understand that medical school means that you are an MD/DO, and don't even know how the licensing system works. I just got a conditional acceptance to med school through a linked post-bacc, and most of the people at my command think that I'm going to be a PA.

There are tons of anti-vaxxers. Andrew Wakefield is a completely discredited fraud who was driven from his own country because he committed myriad ethical violations in research and endangered millions of children through his deception. And yet, he has thousands of followers who think he is a whistleblower being silenced by the evil government and BigPharma. Patients do not have any idea whether their doctor is licensed or not, so do you really think they will do research to find out if they graduated from a legit medical school? (And btw, Andrew Wakefield totally did and still has a medical degree--he just can't practice.)

People go to chiropractors and acupuncture therapists and refer to them as their doctors. I had to tell my sister about the difference between chiropractic and legit medicine and why her "doctor" is a quack, because she kept referring to her "doctor" when talking about her neck and lower back pain. She claimed that he was the only one who could figure out what was wrong with her and help her, and that her OB/GYN and the ED docs just told her there was nothing they could do. She has chronic lower back pain, and he does laser therapy and tells her she's getting better, and she believes it.

She was surprised to learn about the origins of chiropractic and how he is nothing but a charlatan, but she still goes to him because that's what people do.

2) Somali example does not work here. We would want to compare the effect on healthcare/outcomes. I would most like to see the effect before and after a country did away with an in-place licensure if that exists (doubtful, but I did just learn this discourse has ever even existed, so bare with me).

I'm not sure that exists, but this country went the opposite way--we implemented a licensing program after not having one for a long time. It stopped a lot of the snake oil salesman from marketing themselves as legitimate practitioners.

3) Introducing new idea here. I thought of a scenario of one possible facet of the effect if we did away with licensing: FMGs, who paid/paying less for education and training, (or grads of some cheaper kind of medical school that sprouts, or any doctor who is willing and able to charge less) charge less for their services. Might the quality of care be lower? Maybe. Would it be cheaper for consumers? Yes. Would this do greater utilitarian good (would the amount saved on healthcare be worth the quality risk)? This is my primary interest.

edit - slightly regretting digging into a political issue in a social thread. forgive me. forge on

No they couldn't. Not if they want to stay in business.
 
Yeah I mean I was all jazzed up to make everything work out by the skin of my teeth but my wife wasn't too amped on it since she's not the same type of person. Not worth risking my marriage or relationship with our kid over it. I know it was the right choice but it's not the choice I wanted. I guess that's just part of being a big boy though

Yep. You made the right choice. Now you'll only be one year ahead of me lol.
 
In response to @Seldon asking why I converted to Christianity in another thread:

I grew up nominally Jewish. When I went to Israel, I went ortho. I started getting a lot of people asking me about Jesus and the Bible and just the Torah in general, so I decided to read the NT so that I could effectively argue against it.

I had some questions about the Torah and certain passages that seemed to go against Rabbinical dogma, and the answers I got were never really satisfying. After reading the NT, I could see where this Jesus fellow was coming from, condemning all the focus on Rabbinical laws that seemed to arbitrarily add to the Torah or in some cases directly contradict it.

The whole oral Torah thing never really made much sense to me, so for a bit I practiced a sort of sola scriptura version of Orthodox Judaism.

In boot camp, however, I went along to church with a group of Christians (mostly just to get away from the division commanders [the Navy version of drill instructors]), and something just felt right. I stood up when they asked if anyone wanted to accept Jesus, and I never went back.

I didn't just disregard the Torah though. I still try to study it as much as I study the NT.
 
In response to @Seldon asking why I converted to Christianity in another thread:

I grew up nominally Jewish. When I went to Israel, I went ortho. I started getting a lot of people asking me about Jesus and the Bible and just the Torah in general, so I decided to read the NT so that I could effectively argue against it.

I had some questions about the Torah and certain passages that seemed to go against Rabbinical dogma, and the answers I got were never really satisfying. After reading the NT, I could see where this Jesus fellow was coming from, condemning all the focus on Rabbinical laws that seemed to arbitrarily add to the Torah or in some cases directly contradict it.

The whole oral Torah thing never really made much sense to me, so for a bit I practiced a sort of sola scriptura version of Orthodox Judaism.

In boot camp, however, I went along to church with a group of Christians (mostly just to get away from the division commanders [the Navy version of drill instructors]), and something just felt right. I stood up when they asked if anyone wanted to accept Jesus, and I never went back.

I didn't just disregard the Torah though. I still try to study it as much as I study the NT.
That's wonderful! Thank you for telling your story. I'm glad you found a space for yourself. It's definitely unique though. Most of my friends (pretty much including me) moved towards agnosticism or atheism. Out of curiosity, did you ever get pulled in that direction or was there never any doubt for you.
 
In response to @Seldon asking why I converted to Christianity in another thread:

I grew up nominally Jewish. When I went to Israel, I went ortho. I started getting a lot of people asking me about Jesus and the Bible and just the Torah in general, so I decided to read the NT so that I could effectively argue against it.

I had some questions about the Torah and certain passages that seemed to go against Rabbinical dogma, and the answers I got were never really satisfying. After reading the NT, I could see where this Jesus fellow was coming from, condemning all the focus on Rabbinical laws that seemed to arbitrarily add to the Torah or in some cases directly contradict it.

The whole oral Torah thing never really made much sense to me, so for a bit I practiced a sort of sola scriptura version of Orthodox Judaism.

In boot camp, however, I went along to church with a group of Christians (mostly just to get away from the division commanders [the Navy version of drill instructors]), and something just felt right. I stood up when they asked if anyone wanted to accept Jesus, and I never went back.

I didn't just disregard the Torah though. I still try to study it as much as I study the NT.
I'm curious....did you ever consider Islam or encounter it in your path? Sometimes people start looking at other religions and come across Islam, I'm not trying to belittle in any way, I really just find your story interesting.
 
That's wonderful! Thank you for telling your story. I'm glad you found a space for yourself. It's definitely unique though. Most of my friends (pretty much including me) moved towards agnosticism or atheism. Out of curiosity, did you ever get pulled in that direction or was there never any doubt for you.

I considered myself briefly agnostic when I went to college and started learning science. I felt I needed to explore it before I could go one way or the other. In the end, I just felt the calling and had too many times where I felt God speaking to me.

I'm curious....did you ever consider Islam or encounter it in your path? Sometimes people start looking at other religions and come across Islam, I'm not trying to belittle in any way, I really just find your story interesting.

I encountered it by working with several devout Muslim surgeons, but I never considered anything but Judaism (and Christianity, or Judaism Part Two as I like to call it).
 
I considered myself briefly agnostic when I went to college and started learning science. I felt I needed to explore it before I could go one way or the other. In the end, I just felt the calling and had too many times where I felt God speaking to me.



I encountered it by working with several devout Muslim surgeons, but I never considered anything but Judaism (and Christianity, or Judaism Part Two as I like to call it).
Do you mean to say that Judiasm and Christianity have more in common with each other than they do with Islaam? Huh. I always thought Judiasm and Islaam have more in common, and then Christianity is a little different.
Hm. :shrug:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mean to say that Judiasm and Christianity have more in common with each other than they do with Islaam? Huh. I always thought Judiasm and Islaam have more in common, and then Christianity is a little different.
Hm. :shrug:
Judaism and Christianity have the benefit of both being western religions. It makes them virtual sisters. Islam is more like a cousin. Alternatively, you can read them as a spectrum with Islam and Christianity at either end and Judaism in the middle.

Edit: That obviously glosses over literally all of the specifics, but it's a pretty good visual.
 
Do you mean to say that Judiasm and Christianity have more in common with each other than they do with Islaam? Huh. I always thought Judiasm and Islaam have more in common, and then Christianity is a little different.
Hm. :shrug:

Islam and Judaism have many things in common because (and I mean no offense by this) many of the Islamic practices were lifted from Judaism. Other than that, they are pretty different. (Also, Ishmael is directly related to Isaac through Abraham.)

Christianity and Judaism are similar because they are really just facets of the same religion. Jesus came not to start a new religion, but to fulfill the Torah and extend God's grace to everyone who believes.
 
Yeah I mean I was all jazzed up to make everything work out by the skin of my teeth but my wife wasn't too amped on it since she's not the same type of person. Not worth risking my marriage or relationship with our kid over it. I know it was the right choice but it's not the choice I wanted. I guess that's just part of being a big boy though
I'm definitely behind here but what happened? Did you get deferred from a top choice school that was closest to home?
I'm sorry 😳
*hug*
 
What are some good things to do to keep my mind off of interview invites, etc? I submitted basically all my secondaries for TMDSAS but for some reason, keep checking my e-mail like every minute 🙁
 
What are some good things to do to keep my mind off of interview invites, etc? I submitted basically all my secondaries for TMDSAS but for some reason, keep checking my e-mail like every minute 🙁

Learn to play an instrument or a foreign language. Find all the hiking trails near you and hit them up. Sign up for a marathon and train for it.
 
What are some good things to do to keep my mind off of interview invites, etc? I submitted basically all my secondaries for TMDSAS but for some reason, keep checking my e-mail like every minute 🙁
Get into the habit of only checking your email once a day (or twice). Plan some routine that keeps you busy. Get a job, go volunteer, binge watch tv etc.

They will come when it is time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've never understood why people love yeezys. I heard they're super comfortable but to me, they look like potato sacks on your feet...
lol they pretty much are potato socks on our feet. But even if we don't like them, it's a guaranteed 200 dollar profit if you decide to resell it.
 
Eid Mubarek Everyone :clap:
( The days in Islam start after sunset from the previous day, not Midnight)
Yay socializing! And eating/drinking/brushing teeth during daytime! And doing some studying for my summer class final but that's fine it's not like I'll be socializing all day I need a break at some point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ha. Nah it's great. I'm super excited. I can't wait to get to USUHS and see what it's like there, not to mention meet the rest of my cohort.
From what my dad told me about USUHS (when he went for nursing leadership training) was that it was so crazy to see all the different branches walking the halls and eating lunch together. It's like this magical wonderland that nowhere but the Pentagon can recreate.

Edit: I butchered that first sentence's grammar but I'm far too lazy to be bothered to fix it. You get the point.
 
From what my dad told me about USUHS (when he went for nursing leadership training) was that it was so crazy to see all the different branches walking the halls and eating lunch together. It's like this magical wonderland that nowhere but the Pentagon can recreate.

Edit: I butchered that first sentence's grammar but I'm far too lazy to be bothered to fix it. You get the point.

Yeah. The docs whom I've spoken with who went there said it's a big team or family. There isn't the kind of gunnery going on because the military environment fosters teamwork. I see that in the fleet, so it's good to know it happens there too.