Official Rejections c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unless you go to Upenn, then it's a VMD :p

Why is Upenn the hipster of the bunch? xD

Sorry for derailing the rejections thread, but my understanding is because the vet school developed more from the med school (versus being more agricultural based), so they kept the letter order the same. Other than that, no difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for derailing the rejections thread, but my understanding is because the vet school developed more from the med school (versus being more agricultural based), so they kept the letter order the same. Other than that, no difference.

Hmm? Could you re-phrase that? I'm not sure what you mean.

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

University of California: (vetskoldreama, portal 11/16) (katashark, portal, 11/16)

Colorado State University:

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Lincoln Memorial University:

Louisiana State University: (Devastating, portal, 11/9)(batsenecal, portal, 11/9)(vetskoldreama, portal 11/9)

Michigan State University:

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

Mississippi State University:

University of Missouri:

North Carolina State University:

Ohio State University:

Oklahoma State University:

Oregon State University:

University of Pennsylvania:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

Virginia-Maryland Regional College:

Washington State University:

Western University of Health Sciences: (batsenecal, email, 11/19)

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

University of Calgary (Alberta):

University of Guelph (Ontario):

University of Montreal (Quebec):

University of Prince Edward Island [Atlantic; AVC] (PEI):

University of Saskatchewan [Western] (Saskatchewan):

UNITED KINGDOM:

Royal Veterinary College (England): (wheelin2vetmed, see RANT thread, 11/3)

University College Dublin (Ireland):

University of Edinburgh (Scotland):

University of Glasgow (Scotland):

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

Massey University (New Zealand):

University of Melbourne (Australia):

Murdoch University (Australia):

University of Queensland (Australia):

University of Sydney (Australia): (katashark, email, 11/20)

THE ISLANDS:

Ross University (St. Kitts):

St. George's University (Grenada):

St. Matthew's University (Cayman Islands)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm? Could you re-phrase that? I'm not sure what you mean.

Since Penn Vet developed as a branch of the medical school, which awards the MD, they simply added the "V" and called it a VMD.

Since Penn Vet developed as a branch of the medical school, which awards the MD, they simply added the "V" and called it a VMD.

Gotcha. But the letters are still scrambled vs the other schools :p That's why I said what I said :D

Some use slightly different wording but you can read it as a Veterinary Medical Doctor vs Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (or doctorate in/of). Does that help?

Some use slightly different wording but you can read it as a Veterinary Medical Doctor vs Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (or doctorate in/of). Does that help?

Oh no no, I get it! I knew it was basically the same degree as every other US school. :D I was just trying to make a joke about UPenn being the hipster vet school because their degree has D, V, and M in it, but not in that order, like every other school. I was jokingly insinuating that they did that just to be cool lol ;)

It stands for Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris. So @Starry-chan, they are being hipster because they're the only ones who call it by it's actual Latin name. lol.

Me, too lazy to look it up tonight, totally impressed by the one who does...

Reactions: 1 user
I knew it was something more than just adding the V to MD. I just couldn't remember what. So, since my RAs came back and I no longer had to do three rounds in two buildings, I thought I would google it real quick. lol.

It stands for Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris. So @Starry-chan, they are being hipster because they're the only ones who call it by it's actual Latin name. lol.

It's mostly an Ivy thing based in history and tradition. Harvard, Princeton, Penn, and Columbia use the Latin abbreviations, so you earn an A.B. (artium baccalaureus) or S.B. (scientiae baccalaureus). Not sure about Dartmouth, Cornell, or Brown. Princeton ditched the S.B. abbreviation in favor of a more modern B.S.E (science & engineering). From what I understand, Columbia mostly ditched the Latin abbreviations for undergrad degrees but it still shows up that way on official paperwork. I think Yale ditched them, though their diplomas are still written entirely in Latin, like Princeton's.

I assume Penn went with VMD by analogy and tradition. Most older degrees still go by their Latin abbreviations - PhD, MD, JD, LL.M, LL.D. It's the newer ones like MBA and MSW that get the English abbreviations. Oddly enough, dentistry actually has the same thing going on as vet med. The English version is DDS, but Harvard invented DMD to keep with their naming tradition. Fast forward to today, and roughly half the schools use DDS and half use DMD.

So not really hipster so much as staunchly traditional and refusing to drag themselves into the 21st century... ;)

So I'm guessing it's bad form to say, call yourself a VMD if you received a DVM?

I like VMD, I think it resonates more with the general public because everyone knows what an MD is. Many, even those with pets, may need to stop and think for a second when they hear DVM.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm guessing it's bad form to say, call yourself a VMD if you received a DVM?

I like VMD, I think it resonates more with the general public because everyone knows what an MD is. Many, even those with pets, may need to stop and think for a second when they hear DVM.

Well, it's technically incorrect in the same way that someone with a BVSc or BVetMed identifying themselves as a DVM would be. You have the same training and license, but you technically earned different degrees. I don't know that you'd get "in trouble" for using the wrong one, but the convention in all fields is that the letters after your name reflect the exact degrees you've earned as they're identified by the institution that awarded them.

Maybe it's because I'm in this field, but I feel like most of the public knows what a DVM is! Don't you think?

Well, it's technically incorrect in the same way that someone with a BVSc or BVetMed identifying themselves as a DVM would be. You have the same training and license, but you technically earned different degrees. I don't know that you'd get "in trouble" for using the wrong one, but the convention in all fields is that the letters after your name reflect the exact degrees you've earned as they're identified by the institution that awarded them.

I just realized that one of the vets I work under technically received a BVSc because he went to vet school in New Zealand. Is he then technically misrepresenting himself by using the title "Dr." Since his degree is not a doctorate even though he is liscensed to practice vet med?

Maybe it's because I'm in this field, but I feel like most of the public knows what a DVM is! Don't you think?

I've had multiple people ask me what the veterinary degree abbreviation is. It certainly feels like second nature to us, but I don't think it's as common in everyday public knowledge/usage as degrees like MD or PhD.

"DVM" is my favorite, probably because it's what I've seen the most, and generally the more familiar we are with something, the more we like it.

The only problem with DVM, though, is some people think it's DMV lol

I just realized that one of the vets I work under technically received a BVSc because he went to vet school in New Zealand. Is he then technically misrepresenting himself by using the title "Dr." Since his degree is not a doctorate even though he is liscensed to practice vet med?
no, he's not. It's recognized that even if it's a bachelor's degree in another country, it's the equivalent of a DVM/VMD and therefore appropriate to be called "doctor". It would be a misrepresentation to say he has a DVM because he doesn't.

also the general public has a fairly good grasp on DVM being a doctor. The issues are with lack of perceived value (and that doesn't change with the order of letters in your degree)

Eh, the different degree names are interesting but I still prefer DVM--Maybe a bit biased since my goal was always to become "Dr. Dev, DVM", look at that flow :p But I personally would like that more than having a derivative of MD, and I doubt anyone who totally doesn't recognize what DVM means would figure VMD either, anyway...

I was actually a little disappointed to learn that the UK/Aussie/NZ schools are technically a Bachelors of VSc/VM, I guess up until I started coming to this forum I assumed every accredited school resulted in a DVM. Though it does make sense given that their students come straight out of high school making it not a doctorate.

...Too soon? Maybe.

Let's kick it off regardless!
Just include your username, mode of rejection (e.g. email, snail mail, portal), and the date you received your rejection.

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

University of California:

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Louisiana State University:

Michigan State University: (vetmedgirl, email,12/1)

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

University of Missouri:

Ohio State University:

Oregon State University:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

Western University of Health Sciences:

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

UNITED KINGDOM:

Royal Veterinary College (England):

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

University of Sydney (Australia):

THE ISLANDS:

Wanted to make sure this was flowing correctly.

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

University of California: (vetskoldreama, portal 11/16) (katashark, portal, 11/16)

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Louisiana State University: (Devastating, portal, 11/9)(batsenecal, portal, 11/9)(vetskoldreama, portal 11/9)

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

University of Missouri:

Ohio State University:

Oregon State University:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

UNITED KINGDOM:

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

THE ISLANDS:

Maybe a bit biased since my goal was always to become "Dr. Dev, DVM", look at that flow :p

It drives my boss crazy when people write their name as Dr. So-and-So, DVM, because it's redundant. If her name ever prints that way on a form or anything, she'll scribble out the "Dr." and gripe about it.

It drives my boss crazy when people write their name as Dr. So-and-So, DVM, because it's redundant. If her name ever prints that way on a form or anything, she'll scribble out the "Dr." and gripe about it.
Haha, I guess it's a good point...it'd be like saying Dr. X, MD, or Dr. Y, PhD? well, I'd be fine as long as I'm Dev. H, DVM ;)

my poultry sci professor used to threaten to take off points from anyone who continued to use the redundant phrase "baby chicks" in our reports

Haha, I guess it's a good point...it'd be like saying Dr. X, MD, or Dr. Y, PhD? well, I'd be fine as long as I'm Dev. H, DVM ;)

my poultry sci professor used to threaten to take off points from anyone who continued to use the redundant phrase "baby chicks" in our reports

But Dr. Dev sounds so cool!

My career goal is to someday have a poster in my office that says Keep Calm I'm the Doctor. ;)

Isn't that how doctors names are listed on signs, business cards, etc? I don't see it as much with PhD's but is always how I see MD's written.

My career goal is to someday have a poster in my office that says Keep Calm I'm the Doctor. ;)

I joke that my career goal is to have more letters in the abbreviations after my name than are in my last name (which is 11) haha

Isn't that how doctors names are listed on signs, business cards, etc? I don't see it as much with PhD's but is always how I see MD's written.
With mds /dos I suspect you see their name, degree. I do see it with chiros. But I don't see a lot of Dr. Name, MD in this area and we are saturated

With mds /dos I suspect you see their name, degree. I do see it with chiros. But I don't see a lot of Dr. Name, MD in this area and we are saturated
I know on the door for my current and previous two gp's, my dentist and my obgyn, they are all listed as Dr. Name Name, XMD. Maybe it's a regional thing, or odd coincidence, I really don't know! I just thought that was standard!

I know on the door for my current and previous two gp's, my dentist and my obgyn, they are all listed as Dr. Name Name, XMD. Maybe it's a regional thing, or odd coincidence, I really don't know! I just thought that was standard!
It's redundant and considered poor form in most professional circles.

Reactions: 3 users

I've seen some MDs write it that way, mostly in NJ. Maybe it is partly a regional thing. The doctors I've seen elsewhere don't do it that way.

Could be worse. In Germany, a professor's title is Prof. Dr. Whatever (and there are different titles for different academic positions), and vet med teaching faculty are Prof. Dr. med. vet. If they earn habilitation, which is sort of a higher level of the PhD that comes with a certain amount of independent research/publications, then they become Prof. Dr. med. vet, Dr. habil. So @lilylilac, you should just move to Germany and become an academic, and you'll get your 11 letter alphabet soup soon enough. ;)

My career goal is for 98.3% of people to say "Haha, no you're not" when I say "Ya, I'm a doctor."

My career goal is for 98.3% of people to say "Haha, no you're not" when I say "Ya, I'm a doctor."
46c33ec28a9e3639a33a2e1dda785913.jpg

*veterinarian

Reactions: 3 users
UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

University of Missouri:

Ohio State University:

Oregon State University:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

Washington State University: (yugen, snail mail, 12/5)

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

UNITED KINGDOM:

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

THE ISLANDS:

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

University of Missouri:

Ohio State University:

Oregon State University:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

Washington State University: (yugen, snail mail, 12/5), (bigreddog, snail mail, 12/5)

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

UNITED KINGDOM:

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

THE ISLANDS:

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

University of Missouri:

Ohio State University:

Oregon State University:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

Washington State University: (yugen, snail mail, 12/5), (bigreddog, snail mail, 12/5)(neverkidding, snail mail, 12/7)

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

UNITED KINGDOM:

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

THE ISLANDS:

Oh, yes.

First of all, it's not your degree if you're a DVM, so why would you want to? Besides, in the profession everybody knows VMD means UPenn grad, so you'd be directly implying that you got your veterinary degree from the Ivy League UPenn when in fact you did not.

Uh oh.

Attachments

• can_of_worms_ahead.jpg
    can_of_worms_ahead.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 51
Oh, yes.

First of all, it's not your degree if you're a DVM, so why would you want to? Besides, in the profession everybody knows VMD means UPenn grad, so you'd be directly implying that you got your veterinary degree from the Ivy League UPenn when in fact you did not.
I don't think any vet students really gives a rats a$$ if Penn is Ivy League or not. I don't even see why anyone would say they were a VMD instead of a DVM. I could see a few rare situations where someone may say they are a DVM instead of VMD, but I think most veterinarians are proud of the degree they earned no matter what the arrangement of letters is.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, yes.

Ivy League designates a sports conference for undergraduate institutions. It does not apply to advanced degrees.

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

University of Missouri:

Ohio State University:

Oregon State University:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

Washington State University: (yugen, snail mail, 12/5), (bigreddog, snail mail, 12/5)(neverkidding, snail mail, 12/7)(s.tochastic, snail mail, 12.7)

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

UNITED KINGDOM:

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

THE ISLANDS:

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University: (hazelmoo, email, 12/8)

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

University of Missouri:

Ohio State University:

Oregon State University:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

Washington State University: (yugen, snail mail, 12/5), (bigreddog, snail mail, 12/5)(neverkidding, snail mail, 12/7)(s.tochastic, snail mail, 12.7)

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

UNITED KINGDOM:

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

THE ISLANDS:

St. Matthew's University (Cayman Islands):

Last edited:
UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

University of California: (vetskoldreama, portal 11/16)

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Michigan State University:

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

University of Missouri:

Ohio State University:

Oregon State University:(glg923, email, 12/8)

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

UNITED KINGDOM:

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

University of Sydney (Australia):

THE ISLANDS: