*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friendly reminder:
Everyone, check your junk mail/promotions folder/whatever your email platform calls it, once a day.
You don't want to miss a reminder email or interview invitation from a school!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone provide an approximate range for acceptance percentage of interviewed applicants at TMDSAS schools? I've heard that generally speaking, it is 2-3 times higher than AMCAS schools. Is that true?
By TMDSAS stats about half of applicants get an interview. I don't have numbers for how many get more than one.
Likewise approximately half of those interviewed become matriculants.

edited to add that the link @hadv3r gave in the next post is official TMDSAS data source.

Can someone provide an approximate range for acceptance percentage of interviewed applicants at TMDSAS schools? I've heard that generally speaking, it is 2-3 times higher than AMCAS schools. Is that true?
Data Reports this is a great website that shows overall statistics. Across all tmdsas schools in 2021, the percentage of those accepted after interviewing was approximately 52%. However, if you looked at an individual school it would probably be more like 30-40% acceptance rate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UTRGV SOM has begun releasing decisions on their Early Decision (ED) applications.

If you applied ED to this school or other TMDSAS schools and were admitted, it's binding, and your application year is Done!
Go celebrate!

If you applied ED to a TMDSAS school and were not accepted, your next step on Monday October 3 is to message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them to transmit your application to the other TMDSAS schools you would like to apply to.

don’t forget to apply for fafsa, friends. Application opened today!

Reactions: 1 users
Are prematches typically sent via email or can we get called by the school? Also is it safe to assume offers will start getting sent on Oct 17th since the 15th is a Sunday?

Are prematches typically sent via email or can we get called by the school? Also is it safe to assume offers will start getting sent on Oct 17th since the 15th is a Sunday?
Most come via email except Dell likes to call, or has done in the past.
I don't know the answer about October 15 vs 17. Let's see!

I recently had a poster accepted at a national conference and will be the sole presenter. Should I send an update letter to schools I’ve interviewed at with this information?

Does interviewing early for TMDSAS increase chances of prematch? Like for those who interviewed first and second rounds, will they have statistically a better chance

Does interviewing early for TMDSAS increase chances of prematch? Like for those who interviewed first and second rounds, will they have statistically a better chance
Impossible to know, but the answer is probably not.

Does anyone know how many JAMP applicants there are to TMDSAS every year?

Impossible to know, but the answer is probably not.
many schools prioritize very competitive applicants to interview early, like UTSW with high stat ppl or URMs. It would then make sense to me that in general, early II dates have higher acceptance rates.

Members don't see this ad :)
many schools prioritize very competitive applicants to interview early, like UTSW with high stat ppl or URMs. It would then make sense to me that in general, early II dates have higher acceptance rates.
You’re assuming that all the URMs and high stat applicants were complete in June/July which is not true. Many desirable applicants aren’t complete until August/September. You’re also assuming all those who are URMs/high stats interviewed well, which is also not necessarily the case.

Unlike in rolling admissions, TMDSAS is non rolling so it really doesn’t matter when you interview as compared to other schools.

You’re assuming that all the URMs and high stat applicants were complete in June/July which is not true. Many desirable applicants aren’t complete until August/September. You’re also assuming all those who are URMs/high stats interviewed well, which is also not necessarily the case.

Unlike in rolling admissions, TMDSAS is non rolling so it really doesn’t matter when you interview as compared to other schools.
I agree, not all high stats/URMs submit early, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that earlier interviews have more competitive applicants on average. It's a known fact that many school stratify their application pool using stats and/or demographics. I'm not saying all the early interviews are high stat people who are great at interviews. That's obviously not realistic. But the original person was asking about prematches, and given that competitive applicants are more likely to be interviewed earlier, it makes sense that they have a higher chance of getting prematches. BTW, the original question was asking about prematches which are rolling admissions.

I agree, not all high stats/URMs submit early, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that earlier interviews have more competitive applicants on average. It's a known fact that many school stratify their application pool using stats and/or demographics. I'm not saying all the early interviews are high stat people who are great at interviews. That's obviously not realistic. But the original person was asking about prematches, and given that competitive applicants are more likely to be interviewed earlier, it makes sense that they have a higher chance of getting prematches. BTW, the original question was asking about prematches which are rolling admissions.
TMDSAS does not do rolling admissions until after Match day. Prematches are not necessarily the same thing as rolling. While a prematch is essentially the same thing as an A, prematches only indicate that a school has ranked you highly, but that student may not even match there on match day so it's not seen in the same vein as if another school outright gave an acceptance which means they now have less to give.

As for your other point, it's literally impossible to know. All we know is that ~500 applicants get a prematch. That could be as early as October or as late as January.

This discussion is ultimately pointless and it's impossible to know the answer. There's no point in making stuff up and making people worry more for no reason.

I think ~100 or ~110. The number is capped and you can find it online if you wish to
So all of these 100-110 applications interview at all of the TMDSAS schools?

So all of these 100-110 applications interview at all of the TMDSAS schools?
They interview at all TMDSAS that particpate in JAMP, which is not all schools (but most of them). I believe it includes at the very least BCM, TAMU, Lubbock, PLFSOM, TCOM, McGovern, Long, UTSW, and UTMB.

And the number of JAMP applicants per cycle seems to be 100 (from 2020-2021 at the very least).

are your preferences locked in after hitting the "save and submit" button or can they be updated?

are your preferences locked in after hitting the "save and submit" button or can they be updated?
If you are referring to ranking your schools for Match, you can change your rankings any time before the final ranking day.
When you are sure it’s the way you want it towards February, screen shot the list & save for your records

Have any 1st CASPER quartile applicants gotten interviews? If so, at what schools?

Have any 1st CASPER quartile applicants gotten interviews? If so, at what schools?
I currently have gotten 3 II from Texas schools with a first quartile CASPER score

Hi all. Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly, but is the TMDSAS match binding? I understand pre match acceptances are non binding, but was wondering if the match is. I ask this because of Baylor two campus decision; that match happens at 3/15, nearly two weeks after the match. Final day to commit to one school is 4/30. Basically this is the scenario I have in mind:

Interviewed at Baylor (TMC would be rank #1, Temple would be rank #3). Prematch received.
Interviewed at UTSW (rank #2), but no pre match received.

Basically, could I theoretically rank UTSW #1? If I match there on 3/3, but match to TMC on 3/15, then withdraw the utsw. If matched at UTSW, but then match to Temple, commit to UTSW. Hopefully this makes sense. I would appreciate some advice!

Hi all. Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly, but is the TMDSAS match binding? I understand pre match acceptances are non binding, but was wondering if the match is. I ask this because of Baylor two campus decision; that match happens at 3/15, nearly two weeks after the match. Final day to commit to one school is 4/30. Basically this is the scenario I have in mind:

Interviewed at Baylor (TMC would be rank #1, Temple would be rank #3). Prematch received.

Basically, could I theoretically rank UTSW #1? If I match there on 3/3, but match to TMC on 3/15, then withdraw the utsw. If matched at UTSW, but then match to Temple, commit to UTSW. Hopefully this makes sense. I would appreciate some advice!
If you match to Southwestern on match day, your app will be withdrawn from all schools lower on the list including BCM. You cannot decline your match school for a school lower on your list.

However, UTSW prematches almost the entire class. If you do not receive a PM there, chances are you will be waitlisted. Then you may match to your #2 choice of BCM and then find out your campus assignment a couple weeks later. But if you get off the waitlist at UTSW, then you will have the decision of choosing between BCM and UTSW. I hope this made sense.

Not exactly how it works.
You are ranking Baylor as a whole, and UTSW.
If you rank UTSW #1 and match there on March 3, you are done. You don’t get a second go-round at any schools you ranked lower than your #1.

Not exactly how it works.
You are ranking Baylor as a whole, and UTSW.
If you rank UTSW #1 and match there on March 3, you are done. You don’t get a second go-round at any schools you ranked lower than your #1.
Understood. Thanks!

If you match to Southwestern on match day, your app will be withdrawn from all schools lower on the list including BCM. You cannot decline your match school for a school lower on your list.

However, UTSW prematches almost the entire class. If you do not receive a PM there, chances are you will be waitlisted. Then you may match to your #2 choice of BCM and then find out your campus assignment a couple weeks later. But if you get off the waitlist at UTSW, then you will have the decision of choosing between BCM and UTSW. I hope this made sense.
It did. Thanks!

I am starting to see a lot of questions, on all the school threads, about ranking and matching. I will refer you back here to read and understand the system if you ask on other pages, except I will post this on the Republic of Texas thread as well.

TMDSAS Match System:
How to rank schools where you have interviewed, and how Match works on March 3, 2023.

TMDSAS Match is only for Texas residents applying to TMDSAS schools.
OOS applicants who have interviewed could receive an offer of admission any time after October 15th.

ALL interviews for TMDSAS schools will be over before Feb 17, 2023.

Please take the time to read this information from the TMDSAS guide in detail.
Link: How Do I Select My School Rank Preferences?
The instructions give you steps on entering your
rank list in the TMDSAS portal by 5 PM Central Friday Feb 17, 2023.
Watch the video,
which will show you various examples of what happens on Match Day, March 3, 2023.

• Love
To continue answering common questions:

What the heck is prematch and what does it mean?
A pre-match offer is a true offer of admission, and gives you an early clue that the school really likes you and wants you to attend. If you get a prematch offer, you can take the pressure off yourself and know you are going to med school next year. Prematch offers are only for Texans applying in the TMDSAS system.

For the first time, in the 2020-2021 cycle, TMDSAS published the data on how many applicants got prematch offers.
Here is the link to the data from my post last year: #46

Prematch offers go to
a minority of applicants (1 in 7, or 14%).
Don't let this small part of TMDSAS Match system affect your self-worth!
Most matriculants match in March with no prematch offers at all.

Last edited:
While the link I shared in post #336 above is the most complete information on how to do your ranks and how the match works, I also want to share this new short video that the TMDSAS director made this week answering some common questions and talking a bit more about pre-match offers.

Watch the presentation here: What Happens After I Get a Medical School Acceptance?

** The dates on one of the slides in this presentation are old/incorrect:
Rank Deadline date is 5pm Central Time Zone Friday Feb 17, 2023
and Match Day is Friday March 3, 2023 **

While the link I shared in post #336 above is the most complete information on how to do your ranks and how the match works, I also want to share this new short video that the TMDSAS director made this week answering some common questions and talking a bit more about pre-match offers.

Watch the presentation here: What Happens After I Get a Medical School Acceptance?

** The dates on one of the slides in this presentation are old/incorrect:
Rank Deadline date is 5pm Central Time Zone Friday Feb 17, 2023
and Match Day is Friday March 3, 2023 **
I don't think this gets said enough but Enrique and the staff at TMDSAS are amazing. The podcasts, Q&As, application advice, and chats with texas deans are amazing resources. TMDSAS is just an all around better application service than AMCAS.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Happy October 15th Eve. May the odds be ever in your favor and hope y'all had a great week!!

Happy October 15th Eve. May the odds be ever in your favor and hope y'all had a great week!!
Thank you!

And btw just an anecdotal experience, my friend had multiple TMDSAS IIs last year and he got no prematches, but he did match to his top choice medical school (and this was a prematch heavy school too). That’s all to say if you don’t get anything on the 15th/17th I wouldn’t panic!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just adding on, I did not prematch to the school I am currently attending or well to any school. Actually matched into my last choice on match day and later got off the waitlist for my top choice. Yes having a pre-match helps you relax a bit, but not getting one is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

As a former reapplicant, I promise you it will be ok and it will work out for the best.
Goodluck to you all <3 and if at any point you'd like to speak to someone about any stress, frustrations or generally, please feel free to reach out <3

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, thank you to all the current med students who still crawl around these threads to reassure and calm our neurotic premed nerves. It really does help to see y'all thriving and keeps the hope alive that I'll be where you are someday :')

Honestly, thank you to all the current med students who still crawl around these threads to reassure and calm our neurotic premed nerves. It really does help to see y'all thriving and keeps the hope alive that I'll be where you are someday :')
Just remember to pay it forward and support the forums and the resources we develop for you. :)

Texas Tech Lubbock started us off this year, sending out some prematch offers just before noon.
5 SDN members have already shared their news :soexcited:
Thx. I'm pretty new to SDN. Is there a thread/ forum where people post when and where they got pre matches from?

Thx. I'm pretty new to SDN. Is there a thread/ forum where people post when and where they got pre matches from?
Look in the school specific threads!

Welcome-
Hit the Watch button on threads you want to follow

Check out the Republic of Texas thread for this year’s general sharing of info and updates. On the second post I keep a tally of interview invite days

Hello, I received an automated email from TMDSAS this morning that they would like my transcripts. The link included in the email is broken (https://www.tmdsas.com/PLAN/medical/next-steps/supporting-docs/transcripts.html) so I do not know which email to send my transcripts to. My undergrad only does electronic transcript submission so mailing it in is not an option for me. Does anyone know how/where to process electronic transcript submissions?

The TMDSAS student handbook does not specifically state where to submit electronic transcripts (probs in an effort to reduce any unnecessary transcript deliveries): Transcripts

Hello, I received an automated email from TMDSAS this morning that they would like my transcripts. The link included in the email is broken (https://www.tmdsas.com/PLAN/medical/next-steps/supporting-docs/transcripts.html) so I do not know which email to send my transcripts to. My undergrad only does electronic transcript submission so mailing it in is not an option for me. Does anyone know how/where to process electronic transcript submissions?

The TMDSAS student handbook does not specifically state where to submit electronic transcripts (probs in an effort to reduce any unnecessary transcript deliveries): Transcripts
Message them on the TMDSAS portal to let them know the transcript link is broken

Yea I noticed the same thing. By sending it electronically, I assumed it meant that we had to choose it as a destination/recipient when ordering directly from my undergraduate/graduate student portals. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.