*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, so I just got my 6/18 MCAT back and I got a 506 not what I wanted but I still want to apply this cycle. My gpa is 3.7 and sgpa a little lower. Extracurriculars are pretty good with shadowing, scribing, research, and good amount of volunteering hours. I submitted a couple days ago and I was just wondering am I in good shape for tcom?
The average MCAT for Texas resident applicants last year was 505.6, and the average for matriculants was 511.
Over 400 of the 1720 Texan matriculants had an MCAT score of 506 or below.
Carry on with your application & make your secondary essays represent you & your good points well. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, so I just got my 6/18 MCAT back and I got a 506 not what I wanted but I still want to apply this cycle. My gpa is 3.7 and sgpa a little lower. Extracurriculars are pretty good with shadowing, scribing, research, and good amount of volunteering hours. I submitted a couple days ago and I was just wondering am I in good shape for tcom?
Average stats for the TCOM class that just started was 3.79 cgpa, 3.72 sgpa, 508 so you're in range!

Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc I was transmitted in late May and just noticed an error in my PCR. Fixing this error would increase my BCPM by like .04 (lol). When TMDSAS fixes this, would it knock my application to the end of the line if the school has yet to review my application? I was complete at most tmdsas schools early-mid june

Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc I was transmitted in late May and just noticed an error in my PCR. Fixing this error would increase my BCPM by like .04 (lol). When TMDSAS fixes this, would it knock my application to the end of the line if the school has yet to review my application? I was complete at most tmdsas schools early-mid june
Your application has already been sent to schools I presume, so it won't affect your current application.

Reactions: 1 user
@wysdoc Is there going to be a Republic of Texas Thread this year again where you post all of the interview invite dates that have occurred?

ahh man. Makes sense. Thanks!
If TMDSAS does decide they made an error in calculation, they will update the GPA with your schools, and it won't involve sending your app back to the beginning. But the small uptick is not going to sway a school one way or the other, I would guess.

On the transcripts page of the applicant guide, it does not mention transmitting transcripts via email. However, I'm wondering if others have been able to use the [email protected] email to submit their transcripts? Snail mail is..... rather snail-ish lately. It's been 2 weeks since I requested transcripts and they still have not been received :(

On the transcripts page of the applicant guide, it does not mention transmitting transcripts via email. However, I'm wondering if others have been able to use the [email protected] email to submit their transcripts? Snail mail is..... rather snail-ish lately. It's been 2 weeks since I requested transcripts and they still have not been received :(
Official transcripts need to be sent from your college, not from you, unless you happened to get a sealed physical transcript from your college that you could put in another envelope and mail to TMDSAS.
Give another 7-10 business days to allow TMDSAS to match the transcripts to your account.
For most applicants reading this, @chicandtoughness only has to submit transcripts now because of a particular status, and the rest of you: wait until TMDSAS asks you to send one.

Last edited:
I would recommend the transcripts come directly from your registrar. Any copies you get from the registrar will have a notation on the transcript that the copy was delivered to you regardless of whether you kept the envelope sealed.

Coming up soon, maybe even today !
All right, The Republic of Texas XLI thread is now open for your viewing pleasure over here: #1
It's the place to share your good news & support each other, or to post stuff that doesn't belong on an individual school thread.
The second post in the thread is where I will update interview invitation dates that I hear of - usually I see you posting your news on the individual school threads, and I'll add new dates as I see them.
Keep the technical TMDSAS process questions on this page, Okay?

• Love
Official transcripts need to be sent from your college, not from you, unless you happened to get a sealed physical transcript from your college that you could put in another envelope and mail to TMDSAS.
Give another 7-10 business days to allow TMDSAS to match the transcripts to your account.
For most applicants reading this, @chicandtoughness only has to submit transcripts now because of a particular status, and the rest of you: wait until TMDSAS asks you to send one.
Oh! No, my apologies, I was unclear. I meant if it was possible to have my registrar(s) send e-transcripts to the [email protected] email. I have some institutions that only offer email transcripts or paper transcripts (e.g. they don't use Parchment/Clearinghouse/etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh! No, my apologies, I was unclear. I meant if it was possible to have my registrar(s) send e-transcripts to the [email protected] email. I have some institutions that only offer email transcripts or paper transcripts (e.g. they don't use Parchment/Clearinghouse/etc).
Please refer to the instructions on the TMDSAS Guide Transcripts under Transcripts.

Is it wrong to list my clinical research coordinator job as both a healthcare and a research experience? It was about half clinical (Conducting vitals, blood draws, EKGs) and half research (Data entry, collection, quality control). If it makes any difference, I have around 2000 hours at this position and its both my only paid clinical experience and my only research experience--if I have to list it as one category, which should I prioritize?

Is it wrong to list my clinical research coordinator job as both a healthcare and a research experience? It was about half clinical (Conducting vitals, blood draws, EKGs) and half research (Data entry, collection, quality control). If it makes any difference, I have around 2000 hours at this position and its both my only paid clinical experience and my only research experience--if I have to list it as one category, which should I prioritize?
You can list in 2 areas if it's employment and health care. This sounds more like Employment + clinical research.
If you need something for the Research Category though, what about listing it in research?
@GoSpursGo would any part of this fall under health care activity?

You can list in 2 areas if it's employment and health care. This sounds more like Employment + clinical research.
If you need something for the Research Category though, what about listing it in research?
@GoSpursGo would any part of this fall under health care activity?
Whether CRC jobs are “clinical” I think totally depends on the activities performed. If you’re actually getting vitals, drawing blood, doing EKGs (ie have face to face contact with patients) that portion is clearly clinical.

I agree with @wysdoc , I would probably make two entries and enumerate the activities that are clijical in one and the activities that are research in the other

When do R's start going out for TMDSAS schools?
Most of them just keep you hanging on the line like a fish, sometimes SHSU will reject post interview instead of putting everyone on a WL or accepting them. Last year U of Houston tossed out a few rejections in July but the others not until their interview cycle was done

In most cases you find out by getting a "No Match" status on match Day. :cryi:

Most of them just keep you hanging on the line like a fish, sometimes SHSU will reject post interview instead of putting everyone on a WL or accepting them. Last year U of Houston tossed out a few rejections in July but the others not until their interview cycle was done

In most cases you find out by getting a "No Match" status on match Day. :cryi:
Hm! That's fun, and by fun, I mean absolutely awful!

Hm! That's fun, and by fun, I mean absolutely awful!
Well kinda, but nobody believes me when I tell them this is a year-long process and then the months of waiting take their toll .
But if you make it through to Match Day and get a "No Match" message, you are not rejected, you can still get an offer from a WL.

Do we know approximately what percentage of applicants to each school get secondaries? How much screening is done on primaries before secondaries are sent?

Do we know approximately what percentage of applicants to each school get secondaries? How much screening is done on primaries before secondaries are sent?
That's too broad a question for a helpful answer, @TXEX, especially since each school has its own method for reading the apps and screening for mission fit.
I can answer the first part, and say that all the TMDSAS schools except Dell and U of Houston generally send secondary essays to all US citizen & permanent resident applicants, but you may need to wait a bit & check for an email from them before you can send it. Long SOM doesn't have a secondary app.

You can find the discussion threads for all the schools here: 2022-2023 Alphabetic Index of Allopathic School-Specific Discussion Threads
and if you click the "watch" button on the top of pages you are applying to, you will see a notification number on the bell at the top of your dashboard each time there are new posts in your watched threads.
You can see what the secondary essays are at the top of each thread & starts writing.

Last edited:
Is there a graph showing when the majority of people get interviews. Trying to make myself feel better about not having any yet. To be fair though my committee letter only got sent in on 7/26 so I’m thinking most schools haven’t even looked at me yet.

Is there a graph showing when the majority of people get interviews. Trying to make myself feel better about not having any yet. To be fair though my committee letter only got sent in on 7/26 so I’m thinking most schools haven’t even looked at me yet.
Hey @randompremed457 you're in good shape since you submitted your primary in July.

You can follow this thread (go to the second post) to see which schools are sending out interview invitations. The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

As of today 7/29/22 there are seven MD and 2 DO schools which have sent even their first invitations, and there are many more chances to come.

That's too broad a question for a helpful answer, @TXEX, especially since each school has its own method for reading the apps and screening for mission fit.
I can answer the first part, and say that all the TMDSAS schools except Dell and U of Houston generally send secondary essays to all US citizen & permanent resident applicants, but you may need to wait a bit & check for an email from them before you can send it. Long SOM doesn't have a secondary app.

You can find the discussion threads for all the schools here: 2022-2023 Alphabetic Index of Allopathic School-Specific Discussion Threads
and if you click the "watch" button on the top of pages you are applying to, you will see a notification number on the bell at the top of your dashboard each time there are new posts in your watched threads.
You can see what the secondary essays are at the top of each thread & starts writing.
Thank you @wysdoc . I followed discussion threads but could not find an answer and didn't know if that info was known.
I'll keep writing secondaries!

Appreciate all the good info you have shared on SDN.

So I submitted my application the day processing opened and had all my secondaries submitted by mid-June to late June. I have no IIs and thought I was a relatively strong applicant, should I be worrying? I am a reapplicant, and this is reminding me of last cycle. Thus, I am starting to worry a little

So I submitted my application the day processing opened and had all my secondaries submitted by mid-June to late June. I have no IIs and thought I was a relatively strong applicant, should I be worrying? I am a reapplicant, and this is reminding me of last cycle. Thus, I am starting to worry a little
did you get any II in your previous cycle?

What are your stats? I know that for several schools like UTSW, Baylor, and maybe Long, the first couple interview days are usually for high stat applicants.

Any insight into how far the interview weighs on a admissions decision? From the data I’ve seen it looks like post interview acceptance rates range from like 30-50% so I imagine it could kind of seal the deal. Even though it’s early I’m going to try and go into my only interview so far acting like it’s my one shot. So I’m hoping that it could help push me over the edge for that A.

Also side note - any resources for interview prep apart from Dr Grays stuff (I like it, I just feel like getting a different source of information would be good too) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Any insight into how far the interview weighs on a admissions decision? From the data I’ve seen it looks like post interview acceptance rates range from like 30-50% so I imagine it could kind of seal the deal. Even though it’s early I’m going to try and go into my only interview so far acting like it’s my one shot. So I’m hoping that it could help push me over the edge for that A.

Also side note - any resources for interview prep apart from Dr Grays stuff (I like it, I just feel like getting a different source of information would be good too) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Just as an example, for the incoming class of 2026, McGovern just published that they conducted 1116 interviews for 240 spots. Now obviously there will be a proportion who had interviews and offers to go there who ultimately chose to attend a different medical school, but their post interview acceptance rate was far less than 50%.

Reactions: 3 users
@wysdoc , ik u always say to not freak out if we haven't gotten IIs (even if we were complete early), so when should we start freaking out officially?

• Haha
@wysdoc , ik u always say to not freak out if we haven't gotten IIs (even if we were complete early), so when should we start freaking out officially?
Freaking out is not one of my recommendations, LOL
Some people have not had their first interview until October and still have been accepted.
If you want to see how the various schools spread out their invitations, take a look at last year's list here: 2021-2022 Interview Invitations

Last edited:
Freaking out is not one of my recommendations, LOL
Some people have not had their first interview until October and still have been accepted.
If you want to see how the various schools spread out their invitations, take a look at last year's list here: 2021-2022 Interview Invitations
thanks. ig it makes sense to start planning for a gap year by november?

Is it normal for TMDSAS to be super critical of BCPM classes? They rejected just about all of my PHYS/CHEM/BIOL classes that weren't prerequisites. I had to submit 8+ appeals.

Is it normal for TMDSAS to be super critical of BCPM classes? They rejected just about all of my PHYS/CHEM/BIOL classes that weren't prerequisites. I had to submit 8+ appeals.
Honestly my experience was super weird too. They explicitly told me over email that they wouldn’t accept some of my courses as prerequisites and then they turned around and accepted them all.

That's so weird ! My junior year, I emailed TMDSAS about some of the upper division bio and chem classes I was taking to check if they would fall under my BCPM. The TLDR of their response to me was that if the class is taught by the biology/chemistry department, it counts towards your BCPM.

Have schools begun recording interviews? It seems like something that would be taken advantage of especially since the majority are virtual so I’m interested to see if this is a thing or not.

Have schools begun recording interviews? It seems like something that would be taken advantage of especially since the majority are virtual so I’m interested to see if this is a thing or not.
IF they record your interview they need to ask you and get permission in advance

Edited to add that I have not heard of any Texas schools recording the interviews.

Last edited:
Question: how accurate is this spreadsheet for TMDSAS schools? Since we are on a match system, I don't see how post-II acceptance rates can be calculated very easily like in other schools...

Question: how accurate is this spreadsheet for TMDSAS schools? Since we are on a match system, I don't see how post-II acceptance rates can be calculated very easily like in other schools...
I haven't made use of that spreadsheet at all, because I don't know who adds to it or keeps it up to date.
I know the MSAR data shows only # of matriculants and not # of acceptances offered, but I trust that data more.

The best tool for TMDSAS Data is this >> link >> Interactive Data Tool for TMDSAS
With this you can look at
# applicants
# interviewed
# accepted
# matriculated
and you can also compare the numbers for total, IS, and OOS.
You can see the average GPA or MCAT too for various populations.

To explore it, first select the year (2020,2021, etc.) at the top left.
Select click boxes one by one at the top (Interviewed, Accepted, Matriculated)
Unclick boxes as you wish.
Compare the stats for OOS.

Now notice the tabs at the bottom (GPA, Test Scores, Demographic) which you can play with too.

I haven't made use of that spreadsheet at all, because I don't know who adds to it or keeps it up to date.
I know the MSAR data shows only # of matriculants and not # of acceptances offered, but I trust that data more.

The best tool for TMDSAS Data is this >> link >> Interactive Data Tool for TMDSAS
With this you can look at
# applicants
# interviewed
# accepted
# matriculated
and you can also compare the numbers for total, IS, and OOS.
You can see the average GPA or MCAT too for various populations.

To explore it, first select the year (2020,2021, etc.) at the top left.
Select click boxes one by one at the top (Interviewed, Accepted, Matriculated)
Unclick boxes as you wish.
Compare the stats for OOS.

Now notice the tabs at the bottom (GPA, Test Scores, Demographic) which you can play with too.
Since I haven’t seen anyone else point this out: On one of the bars for stats (mcat or gpa), right-click and choose “view data points as a table”. This will bring up every applicant with that stat, their undergrad, and admissions results down to the schools they applied to.

idk if anyone else discovered this before i did, but i was kinda shocked they offered this data (maybe seemed intrusive?)

Edit: it doesn’t reveal names or tmdsas IDs so it should still be anonymous.

Last edited:
Since I haven’t seen anyone else point this out: On one of the bars for stats (mcat or gpa), right-click and choose “view data points as a table”. This will bring up every applicant with that stat, their undergrad, and admissions results down to the schools they applied to.

idk if anyone else discovered this before i did, but i was kinda shocked they offered this data (maybe seemed intrusive?)
I hadn't noticed that feature but it might be a little too much detail. Will check into it.

Edit: it doesn’t reveal names or tmdsas IDs so it should still be anonymous.
That is pretty cool!

So like, obviously freaking out is heavily discouraged but realistically, when should people start thinking about reapplying or looking for other opportunities? After Halloween? After Thanksgiving?

Currently sitting in no interview, no rejection purgatory and feeling bad about myself. Being a reapplicant with average ORM stats is really not helping with my confidence either.

So like, obviously freaking out is heavily discouraged but realistically, when should people start thinking about reapplying or looking for other opportunities? After Halloween? After Thanksgiving?

Currently sitting in no interview, no rejection purgatory and feeling bad about myself. Being a reapplicant with average ORM stats is really not helping with my confidence either.
No need to despair this early. Keep adding to your volunteer stuff while you wait. Until Nov 1, the TMDSAS deadline, schools might still be waiting for that gem who turned in a late application. After that they can review their total pool and send out more invitations.

Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked yet, but do all schools in TMDSAS just send secondaries to everyone or do they screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.