Official UT Houston Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTHoustonAggie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's coming with me???:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Count me in!

anyone with Houston questions, feel free to pm me :)

welcome to UT-Houston!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like there arnet too many people around here goin with us, but Im certainly goin to houston.

Congratulations on getting into UT Houston! I am also available for any questions or comments, but I'll tell you right now you got into a GREAT school!

Originally posted by UTH2003
Congratulations on getting into UT Houston! I am also available for any questions or comments, but I'll tell you right now you got into a GREAT school!
hey dude, back off, they're mine! get your own pre-medies ;)

Shouldn't you have be in Neuro at 9:58? Don't ask Seabass any questions about what med school is like... she will corrupt you!

Shouldn't you have be in Neuro at 9:58? Don't ask Seabass any questions about what med school is like... she will corrupt you!

Are you Will?

Congratulations are in order for all the new UT-Houston MS <1's
This is one of the most competitive classes ever admitted to UTHSC.

Alright guys, we need to beef this thread up. The UTMB and UTSW threads are getting too much attention! So where is everyone living or planning on living?

Well, I'm planning on finding a place to stay somewhere down by the medical center... probably an apartment. Hopefully I will be able to find something within walking distance to the center or to the train. Not sure how the bus system is in Houston, but I think the train they just put in will be helpful.
All I know is that it is going to be tough motivating myself to complete this semester when all I can think about is med school.
Laters

Forgot to ask - has anyone gotten their "official" letter yet?
I'm in Lubbock and haven't recieved mine.
I juuuust want something concrete to look at. lol :idea:

I'm in College Station and I actually got my letter in the mail on Saturday...but unfortunately nobody was here to get it and they sent it certified. So all I had a was the little note they leave that says to pick up the letter at the post office, which was closed since it was Saturday. But anyways, I did get my official letter yesterday.
As for where I'm living...I really have no idea. The only time I've even been to Houston was for my interview back in September so I am very unfamiliar with the whole area. I'd like to find a roommate but I'm sure I have plenty of time for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! I go to class now, I just usually sneak in the back 5 minutes late, I prefer a 15 minute break instead of 10 min.

you got some soccer skills I see, good win last night. then again, that could have been embarassing if you had let the dental students beat you ;)

Originally posted by Tone2002
Are you Will?
no he is not

Hey, Congrats to everyone that just got accepted! I will be applying this year and I've always wanted to go to UT-Houston for med school. I was just wondering what MCAT score and GPA they were looking for. I know it varies from year to year, so could those of you accepted help me out. Thanks.

Hey, good luck applying to med school this year...if you put your mind to it and study hard you'll get it. As for me, I had a 3.65 overall GPA and a 3.58 science GPA at Texas A&M. I got a 31O on my MCAT (10 V, 10 B, 11 P). I'm not exactly sure what there averages are, but I hope that helps you out a little.

Lance-
I had a pretty high MCAT - 35p (13v,12b,10p) - but a lower gpa - 3.41 with about 3.25 science (screwed around in organic I and gen chem II). Also, I'm out of state so that might skew things a bit. According to UTH's website, the average GPA was 3.63 and MCAT 27 for 2001. However, I think I remember reading a more recent stat that put the matriculant MCAT around 29? Also, don't take my route...apply early. I waited a bit too long, but it all worked out alright thank goodness.
-Lance

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be taking the MCAT this April and I'm hoping for at least a 30. My GPA as of now is a 4.0 but I'm taking some harder upper level classes this semester that may scew that a bit. Thanks again for the replies and congrats on getting in. Hopefully i'll be seeing you all in the fall of 2005.

Originally posted by Big Lance
Well, I'm planning on finding a place to stay somewhere down by the medical center... probably an apartment. Hopefully I will be able to find something within walking distance to the center or to the train. Not sure how the bus system is in Houston, but I think the train they just put in will be helpful.
All I know is that it is going to be tough motivating myself to complete this semester when all I can think about is med school.
Laters

Congrats to everybody.

I would recommend that everyone check out University Housing when looking for an apartment in Houston. It's cheap, relatively safe, and right next to the UT gym. Additionally, it has a stop for the free UTH shuttle bus right out front. It'll save you lots of money to use the free shuttle vs. the train or a city bus.

It fills up fast, so if you're interested, get ahold of the office soon and get on the waiting list.

How about scholarships? I am an out-of-state looking to possibly gain in-state tuition by getting a $1000 scholarship. Is there any possibility for this at UTH?
-Lance

bump

more on housing please

and do they release a list of people who have accepted to everyone else

So did everyone get the Welcome Weekend email? Anyone going? I'll likely make the picnic, but I don't think I'll be doing the party afterwards or Astroworld (previous obligations).

Got the mail, but I won't be able to attend...as Ill be in Houston looking for an apartment the second week of march when Im on spring break. Oh well, would have liked to go, but Im sure any info can be obtained through mail that they might have given out then. Any idea when they will start sending out financial aid packages?
-Lance

I won't be going either. Got to go out of state that weekend for a prior obligation.

I wonder how many people will go to that though.

Originally posted by brownsdawg
bump

more on housing please

and do they release a list of people who have accepted to everyone else
they emailed out a list to the current students. if you want it, send me a pm with your email address. Lance, did you get yours?

it should be coming in the mail pretty soon and posted online about the same time.

Originally posted by Big Lance
Any idea when they will start sending out financial aid packages?
-Lance
as in you've already submitted? I can't remember if I got anything in the mail, but all the forms you need are online underneath financial aid.

I had everything in by the end of February last year and got mine in June. Most as an independent will get tuition subsidized and another 18K unsubsidized for living.

Originally posted by brownsdawg
I won't be going either. Got to go out of state that weekend for a prior obligation.

I wonder how many people will go to that though.
I went last year and it was a lot of fun. Got to meet some SDN peeps and other future classmates. I would highly recommend going to the picnic if you can, but don't worry if you can't.

Not really any info handed out, just a way to get to know some of the older people and your classmates (potentially meet roommates too) before retreat in the summer. I asked about the shirt and it sounds like it should be cool. I think it is going to be green, or maybe I'm thinking of our Outreach shirts, who knows, so much is going on right now!

I will be at the picnic, so if anyone wants to meet me or ask questions, drop me a pm and let me know you will be there.

if any of you are still deciding whether or not to come to Welcome Weekend, it looks like about 75% of the incoming class is supposed to show up.

should be good times. :)

Hey guys, congratulations on your acceptance at UT Houston! I am an MS2 here, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to send me a PM.

:clap:

Dang. 75% are going? Man, I really wanted to go to meet some of my classmates :(

Oh well....there's always the retreat in August.

bumping this to the top for a couple questions...i am away from home for a while so can someone answer these:

how was the get together thing they held in march?

and has anyone received important stuff via mail recently, like financial stuff, etc?

i havent been able to check my mail since the end of march. thanks!

I am entering my third year at UT-Houston, and I received my financial aid award last week - around April 23. I am not sure when they send the financial aid awards to the incoming first years, but it shouldn't be far behind!

-Scott, MS2

ms. a, are you just trying to pre-emptively make the cross-TMC student bond?

Newquagmire said:
ms. a, are you just trying to pre-emptively make the cross-TMC student bond?

Actually, until about 2 weeks ago, I was fully intending to go to UT Houston...but then I got the long-awaited for call from Baylor. Since Baylor was my number 1 choice, I accepted their offer, even though I was perfectly happy with going to UT Houston. At least I opened up another spot for the UT waitlistees!

Finally found this thread. Let's keep it alive.

Congrats to all of you entering UTH. We got less than 2 months to go. Has everyone settled in, and have you had time to enjoy this summer? I really don't know exactly what to expect. You never know until it starts I guess. How many people are going to take full advantage of video-taped lectures online? My neighbor who is an MS3 said he knew a bunch of people that hardly ever went to class.

We got to get this thread going.

ms. a said:
Actually, until about 2 weeks ago, I was fully intending to go to UT Houston...but then I got the long-awaited for call from Baylor. Since Baylor was my number 1 choice, I accepted their offer, even though I was perfectly happy with going to UT Houston. At least I opened up another spot for the UT waitlistees!

well, congratumalations! sorry for the late response, i kinda lost this thread =)

Newquagmire said:
well, congratumalations! sorry for the late response, i kinda lost this thread =)

Thanks!

Congratulations guys! I noticed some folks listed their MCAT/GPA. For those accepted - could you please list:

1. Trad/Non-Trad
2. GPA
3. Major
4. MCAT

Thanks a bunch,
-Y_Marker

*edit*

no stats sorry :smuggrin:

Hey,
Just wanted to make sure that everyone's seen the thread about the Houston get-together on Sunday. It's looking like it will be at Star Pizza. If you're new to Houston, Star is some of the best pizza in town. PM me if you have any questions.

Hope you can make it!

Does anyone know when we get our financial aid? I tried checking on UTLink but it says the info is not available...I figure I will just call the financial aid office tomorrow but if anyone knows anything, let me know.

UTHoustonAggie said:
Does anyone know when we get our financial aid? I tried checking on UTLink but it says the info is not available...I figure I will just call the financial aid office tomorrow but if anyone knows anything, let me know.

Make sure you are selecting Medical 2004 and not Fall 2004.

Seabass, does everyone go to class or do some people rely on the video feed or scribe service? Just wondering.

Oh, one more question. Do we get a Upass to ride metro? I don't live close enough to use the lightrail, but there are some bus stops pretty close. I live at the "Riverwalk Condominiums", and I am not sure what the best route to school is. I guess I could just hike to the Shuttle.

jpro said:
Seabass, does everyone go to class or do some people rely on the video feed or scribe service? Just wondering.

Oh, one more question. Do we get a Upass to ride metro? I don't live close enough to use the lightrail, but there are some bus stops pretty close. I live at the "Riverwalk Condominiums", and I am not sure what the best route to school is. I guess I could just hike to the Shuttle.
More people go to class first semester because they are still feeling neurotic. Second semester most just watch the videos from the LRC or their home.

Personally, I loved the freedom of first semester since Anatomy Lab was the only thing you really had to go to on a regular basis. The syllabi first semester (no scribe because lectures are video taped) are actually pretty complete, if you attend/watch any class, go for Biochem. Histo lab can be skipped, I found getting an atlas and going through the slides printed from online (which you are tested from) and finding the required items yourself was more productive and time effective than sitting in lab. People also found watching Devo lectures (especially the clinical correlates, MUCH test stuff comes from here, even though it says it is 4 questions per lecture) to be helpful. I found just sitting down and watch 3-4 lectures in a row on a weekend and then studying a couple lectures a day or two a week in a subject was enough. The most important thing you can do for anatomy is read through the labs before coming, find the structures you will be looking for in your Netter, and start memorizing some of the names. By 3rd block you won't have to be as complete because you'll pick stuff up much faster. Its hard to make yourself pay attention to the syllabi, but everything from the written test comes straight from it, I think that is the mistake most people make in Anatomy, letting lab overwhelm them that they forget the written stuff.

As for your question, send me a pm, I'm not sure what the riverside condos are, I'll see if I can help you. I think I might have gotten an email the other day giving info on what you're asking.

::Seabass:: said:
More people go to class first semester because they are still feeling neurotic. Second semester most just watch the videos from the LRC or their home.

Personally, I loved the freedom of first semester since Anatomy Lab was the only thing you really had to go to on a regular basis. The syllabi first semester (no scribe because lectures are video taped) are actually pretty complete, if you attend/watch any class, go for Biochem. Histo lab can be skipped, I found getting an atlas and going through the slides printed from online (which you are tested from) and finding the required items yourself was more productive and time effective than sitting in lab. People also found watching Devo lectures (especially the clinical correlates, MUCH test stuff comes from here, even though it says it is 4 questions per lecture) to be helpful. I found just sitting down and watch 3-4 lectures in a row on a weekend and then studying a couple lectures a day or two a week in a subject was enough. The most important thing you can do for anatomy is read through the labs before coming, find the structures you will be looking for in your Netter, and start memorizing some of the names. By 3rd block you won't have to be as complete because you'll pick stuff up much faster. Its hard to make yourself pay attention to the syllabi, but everything from the written test comes straight from it, I think that is the mistake most people make in Anatomy, letting lab overwhelm them that they forget the written stuff.

As for your question, send me a pm, I'm not sure what the riverside condos are, I'll see if I can help you. I think I might have gotten an email the other day giving info on what you're asking.

Thanks Seabass. :) Great info. I'm sure that I will be neurotic during the first semester, but I don't think I can help it until I feel more comfortable. I'll PM you later. Thanks again. :thumbup:

i'm probably gonna apply here in 3 years.

tell me more about this place please. i think i want to know more.