Official UTHSCSA Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted into San Antonio. i am currently a 4th year at UTHSCSA and will be willing to answer any of your questions. Honestly, I don't think I would have been any happier at any other school and still feel I made the right decision in coming here. Additionally, I hope that no one feels that this is inappropriate, but I am going to be selling my house down here. To answer your question nosaj it is very possible to live on your loans and buy a house in SA. I live about 10 minutes from the school in a 3br/2bath. If anyone is interested just send me a private email.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Houston but I'm living in Arizona right now. I'm going to be visiting my parents in Houston sometime around April 5-9. I know its a long way off but maybe we can meet up then? :)

Hey guys,

I was just curious to see how many of you are graduating this year and how many have already finished with their undergrad (ie. what are you doing right now?). I'm graduating this year! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from Texas in Fall of 2000. For about a year after that, I didn't do too much of anything. For the past 2 years I've been working as a research assistant in Houston.

I just graduated from Arizona State in Dec. and I'm just working at part-time jobs right now until May.

Graduated with my B.A. in 1999, M.A. at the end of this semester.:)

Originally posted by jberg4
I'm from Houston but I'm living in Arizona right now. I'm going to be visiting my parents in Houston sometime around April 5-9. I know its a long way off but maybe we can meet up then? :)

hey jberg4,

that would be cool. hopefully, a few more will come along. i believe you and i share a mutual friend, noel

Wow, it seems like there are quite a few in our class who took a little time off between undergrad and med school.
I graduated in 2001. I was a research technician for 2 years, then i moved to Mexico last summer. I'll be back stateside a few weeks before classes start.

Originally posted by tuesday
Wow, it seems like there are quite a few in our class who took a little time off between undergrad and med school.
I graduated in 2001. I was a research technician for 2 years, then i moved to Mexico last summer. I'll be back stateside a few weeks before classes start.

Where in Mexico are you living, Tuesday? I spent a summer there a couple years back and loved it..

Well---until I got salmonella! ;)

Yeah for Noelia. I think she told me about you too. Please let her know I say hello and I'm burning her CD's. :D

BA c/o 2002

MPH done this summer before school starts... hopefully :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exmike
quit it. :D

Hehe... i wish i could... but too much time and money wasted to walk out of these two years without the extra letters :D

and besides... i think my advisor would probably strangle me :scared:

Originally posted by lilstina
Hehe... i wish i could... but too much time and money wasted to walk out of these two years without the extra letters :D

and besides... i think my advisor would probably strangle me :scared:

i figure i'll list out all my degrees so i can fool my patients into thinking i know what I'm doing.

Originally posted by JGL9802
UT grad dec 2001. Worked at MD Anderson in houston for a year and now work for a biotech in the woodlands. I look forward to meeting all of you guys in July and Ghost and some others here in H-town before then. Hey Tuesday, do you know Jesse G?

June 27 at the White Coat!!!

graduating may 2004 from undergrad. I'm glad I get at least 2 months of time to rest my brain....adv. biochem is SO HARD!!!! Well its not hard its just alot of info. that I've never seen or heard of before.

keekee,
i've been living in cuernavaca. its about 1.5 hours south of mexico city. have you heard of it?? where did you spend your summer??

jgl9802,
nope, i dont know anyone names jesse. did jesse spend some time in mexico or something?? :)

keekee,
i've been living in cuernavaca. its about 1.5 hours south of mexico city. have you heard of it?? where did you spend your summer??

I've never been to Cuernavaca, but I've heard of it! What you doing down there? I spent my summer travelling in the interior- San Luis Potosi, Ciudad Valles, Tamazunchale, and my favorite, Xilitla. It was sooo much better than the resort towns, although the cops asked for bribes a whole lot more... :)

Hey, all!

I was wondering if any of you have gotten anything from the school yet since sending back your letter of intent...Financial aid stuff and the like...

I called the registrar today to make sure they got the confirmation sheet.

The registrar's office said that registration info will be sent out in early March.

Hey you great people. Congrats on getting in! We are now at phase time of the year hear at the fine institution that is UTHSCSA and I'm just having a grand, peachy time! I want to share a thought with you good folks. My friend told me this not to long ago:
"Medical school is like unprotected sex, if feels GREEEATE when you first get it in, but you regret it when you come!"

Warmest regards! Don't believe what you read on the internet! I love you all!

Pieces

Originally posted by jberg4
I just graduated from Arizona State in Dec. and I'm just working at part-time jobs right now until May.

There is a first year in our class who graduated from ASU! what a kind of small world.

keekee, why dont you have a pm button?? let me know when you do! I was gonna pm you but i cant figure out how.

keekee, why dont you have a pm button?? let me know when you do! I was gonna pm you but i cant figure out how.

Thanks for pointing that out- I had private messages disabled and didn't even realize it!

I fixed it though, so you should be able to PM me now... :)

must... finish... thesis... by end of june... ugh.

jgl, you're in houston? doing what?

Howdy all... glad to hear you got in to UTHSCSA. I'll be starting there as well, and you all sound like a good group. I'm curious though, why did you choose UTHSCSA? Also, for those in the Houston area, I'm down in Galveston... perhaps a drink sometime?

hey pillion,

i'd be up for getting together, but it would have to be this weekend. is that good for you? anybody else in houston want to go?

wish i could make it... but i've got a ton of work to do... hope you guys have a good time anyway :)

lilstina, what are you doing your thesis on?

hmm... something about genes... and lipid metabolism... and cardiovascular heart disease incidence... ask me in a couple months and i'll probably be able to say something intelligent about it :D

grrr... i want my registration info already!

Sounds good... we'll meet at Chilis on Saturday afternoon. Anybody else interested? Send me a pm for details....
pillion

I was wondering if you guys knew anything about Whispering Creek...it's about $615 for a 1-1. Any other suggestions?

Also, if anyone from Austin wants to meet up, let me know! I'm so excited!!!!;)

hey peach,

i have a friend who went to utsa for ugrad and she lived at whispering creek... she specifically mentioned it to me... she said she totally loved it and her friends that live there now really like it as well... i'll probably take a look at it when i go to SA for apt hunting :)

hey peach,

i have a friend who went to utsa for ugrad and she lived at whispering creek... she specifically mentioned it to me... she said she totally loved it and her friends that live there now really like it as well... i'll probably take a look at it when i go to SA for apt hunting :)
are you set on SA?

i dont think i have the liberty of any other choices at this point... i like to think of it as SA choosing me :D

i dont think i have the liberty of any other choices at this point...

why *were* you westward bound

still am... SA is westward of houston ;)

i was thinking way way west for a while... but changed my mind... oh well, there's always residency...

*Bump*

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say that I'm going to be in San Antonio in a couple of weeks, specifically 3/12 and 3/13. If anyone wants to join in on some apartment scouting fun with me, they are more than welcome!

Of course some of you will be in nice, warm exotic places for Spring Break in which case I'm insanely jealous...

Hey Everyone!

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about the MD/PhD program. Also, when is the deadline to turn in FAFSA?

Thanks,
jberg4

Hey everyone!

My name is Carlos, and I was so excited to hear the I was accepted to UTHSCSA this year! I just found out about these SDN forums and love to hear from people I'll be meeting in just a few months.

Some of you asked about scholarships, and I e-mailed Dr. Lawrence, Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Here's what he had to say:

Thank you for your inquiry relative to scholarships within the Medical School of The University of Texas health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA). For entering medical students there are two scholarships for which there is an application process. One of these is a scholarship in the amount of $10.000 of which there are four (4) or five (5), depending on the wishes of the donor. This is the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long Foundation Presidential Scholarships. These scholarships are awarded to persons from certain South Texas counties. Within the next four weeks, we will send letters to all eligible persons inviting their applications. The applications are reviewed by the Medical Dean's Scholarship Selection Committee which is composed of five (5) Associate and Assistant Deans, who will rank the applicants and submit their recommendations to the President of the Health Science Center. He will make the final decision on recipients.

The other scholarship is the Coates Scholarship which is being instituted only this year and will be in the amount of $25,000 per year. This scholarship also in designated for persons from specific counties, and those eligible persons will also be notified.

Our remaining scholarships are primarily in the amount of $1000.00. They are awarded based on admissions rankings as determined from Admissions Committee assessments. Those selections will be made by the Medical Dean's Scholarship Selection Committee. Those awards are generally made in late September or early October. Whenever other scholarship opportunities are made known to us, we will notify those eligible students and invite application.

Again, thank you for your inquiry. If you have additional questions, please contact this office.

Leonard E. Lawrence, M.D.
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Professor of Psychiatry, Pediatrics
and Family and Community Medicine
7703 Floyd Curl Drive - MSC 7790
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
(210) 567-4429
(210) 567-6962 FAX
(210) 235-3792 PAGER
(210 260-5357 MOBILE
Electronic Mail: [email protected]

wow thanks carlos for the info as well...

oh well... i dont think ill be getting any of those scholarships... but whatever... just keep those loans coming :cool:

If you guys haven't seen them yet check out these links. The first one is the page for the Class of 2007, with links to earlier graduating classes.

Definitely check out the class of 2006 page- they have a lot of useful information and resources on there (and pictures!)...Hopefully we'll been getting our own page soon!

Class of 2007

http://www.satellite45.net/2007/

Class of 2006

http://www.satellite45.net/2006/

:)

The housing information on the 2007 site was muy helpful! Thanks a lot!

Hey guys!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was wondering, other than textbooks and syllabi, what else can we expect to purchase during our first year? Dissection kit? Stethoscope? (Do we really need a Littmann Cardiology III?) Just curious...

Thanks!

tycho55, check out the links posted by keekee... they'll probably answer your question. Thanks keekee, I found them very helpful.

You are all quite welcome!

:)

But of course now I can't seem to get the pages to load up! :(