Ohio State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amberm4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCATs in August. My absolute #1 choice is Ohio State. I am completing my molecular biology degree in 3 years with a 3.98 GPA (one A- in organic chem, and one A- in gen chem lab). I have worked in a hospital for a year, I have shadowed physicians, volunteered, very active in my sorority :) and completed independent research. I had called in the spring to visit the campus and chat with an admissions counselor to get some information, but they did not want me to visit until an interview is offered. Any inside advice for applying here?

Members don't see this ad.

Why Ohio State? Just curious...

awesome gpa. osu is getting tougher and tougher, i tell ya. are you an OH resident? how are the mcat practice tests going? 30+ puts you in a really good spot....31-32+ makes you very solid. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Adventure said:
Why Ohio State? Just curious...

I am an out of stater and I like what they have to offer as well. They scored high in my quantitative analysis.

"Rick James..Bitch" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mr. Adventure will have to look into this OSU program...

"Fu#$ yo couch Charlie Murphy!!" :D

I have been born and raised a Buckeye. I have always wanted to be a doctor and have always wanted to go to OSU. I am comfortable on the campus, but I found it interesting that they don't want me to see the medical school unless I get offered an interview. I am certainly applying to all of the state schools in Ohio, along with a few others. I have been told that completing my degree in 3 years may hurt me because admissions personnel want me to "see the world" before applying. I feel that I have met the qualifications, explored options, and had a lot of fun along the way! I am taking a TPR class, with my 1st diag being a 25 - (and we know those TPR ones are on the low side). So that doesn't worry me too much because with the work I'm putting in, I'm sure I will be much higher (hoping for the 32 I will need!). :) Thanks for the luck! I'm sure I'll need it to pull everything together this summer.

With your gpa and a 30+ MCAT, chances are pretty good you'd get into osu.

Just from anecdotal evidence, OSU likes people with high MCATs a lot. These people tend to get interviewed earlier on. I scored a 31, had pretty high GPA from a top-50 undergrad, and interviewed pretty late with them (mid-Feb). It led to me getting waitlisted but I eventually got accepted in late June.

But you should probably hold off on the tour thing, since it will just be a waste of time if you aren't even interviewed. Not to say that you won't get interviewed, but sometimes weird things happen in the entire process.

I don't think that the 3 year thing will hurt you if your scores are good. I believe last years class profile had a few people that seemed to have graduated in 2-3 years form their undergrads, just looking at age alone.

My other piece of advice, is just to write a good PS, and to also write some meaningful stuff on their secondary, which is annoyingly long. I think it's two essays but the content of the secondary does come up in interviews.

Thanks so much - helpful advice~ Now, back to studying!