Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine at Ohio University is interested in finding out more about you as an applicant. to enable us to gain a better understanding of your activities, working experiences, and personal philosophy and their relationship to osteopathic medicine, you are asked ot complete this secondary application form. Please be open, candid and honest in your responses. Feel free to draw on your school experiences, extra-curricular, or working experiences as a basis for your answer.

In the space provided below,indicate: why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the college should know about you.

Thanks! Any character or word limits?

Members don't see this ad.

It said to confine your response to the space provided on the document (about 3/4 of the page). Or you may use a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and include that in the packet when you mail it.

How are you gonna fit it into the 3/4 of the page? There was a previous post who said to use adobe pro, but I don't have that. I was thinking to cut and paste, scan, then print but that just looks messy. Or just to write" Please see attach paper" and then submit the sheet of paper. What do you guys think?:p

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you gonna fit it into the 3/4 of the page? There was a previous post who said to use adobe pro, but I don't have that. I was thinking to cut and paste, scan, then print but that just looks messy. Or just to write" Please see attach paper" and then submit the sheet of paper. What do you guys think?:p

Just make text boxes on the PDF. That's what I did.

I just visited OU and the Hocking Hills area. It was much more rural than I expected. It was beautiful though.

What is there to do?

I was directed to the movie theater and the other movie theater with the arcade. The "mall" consisted of Elder-Beerman and Aaron's Rent-a-Center.

Does anyone know how out of state friendly this school is? What would someone's gpa and MCAT score have to be for an out of state applicant?

Do this school receive letter of rec's via Interfolio?

Secondary received? Can anyone advise about how to "computer generate" the essay? I can't seem to add text boxes because I don't have security for commenting?

I haven't applied here yet (I actually didn't even submit primaries yet) but I was wondering if the prompt that was listed in the first page was two different secondaries or just 1 with a really long prompt. I want to write as much as I can while I wait to be verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't applied here yet (I actually didn't even submit primaries yet) but I was wondering if the prompt that was listed in the first page was two different secondaries or just 1 with a really long prompt. I want to write as much as I can while I wait to be verified.

It's just one essay with a long prompt.

Complete yesterday.... hoping for some in state love :D

Good luck all! I went to undergrad at Ohio University and am now here for medical school. Athens is definitely its own world with lots of different culture. It is an awesome place. I will try to lurk this thread and provide any input that I can!

Good luck all! I went to undergrad at Ohio University and am now here for medical school. Athens is definitely its own world with lots of different culture. It is an awesome place. I will try to lurk this thread and provide any input that I can!

Thanks! How are the rotation sites at OU?

Just got an invite to interview in September! Thought people might like to know invites are starting to come out. Good luck to everyone applying

Just got an invite to interview in September! Thought people might like to know invites are starting to come out. Good luck to everyone applying

Email?

Congrats! Are you an Ohio resident? Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm really wanting an interview here!
Ohio resident. 3.6 cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 27M. Plus a post-bacc MA in Medical Sciences GPA 3.84. Good luck hopefully you will get an interview!

Last edited:
Ohio resident. 3.6 cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 27M. Plus a post-bacc MA in Medical Sciences GPA 3.84. Good luck hopefully you will get in interview!

Thanks! good luck for the interview

Have you guys received complete emails?

It said in small print on the secondary app that they will not notify you of complete application. So I emailed them like a week after I sent my secondary, and they emailed me back saying that I was complete.

Did anyone receive an invite in the mail today?

just got an EMAIL from them saying my stuff is complete and under review.

Really excited about applying here, even if I have to sign a 5yr contract. Their international program looks amazing!

How binding is the 5yr intent to practice thing? Can they do anything if you decide to go out of state after medical school?

How binding is the 5yr intent to practice thing? Can they do anything if you decide to go out of state after medical school?

Yes its in the contract. You can buy out of it if you are really against staying in Ohio.

Yes its in the contract. You can buy out of it if you are really against staying in Ohio.

Although, if you get one of the out of state scholars program seats, the contract doesn't apply... and your years in residency in OH count toward the 5 years.

Didn't know this. Not that I probably would do it if accepted to this school. But how much is it to buy out?

Have an OOS applicants received interview invitations yet? If so, how long were you complete?

It's really annoying that there's no portal to check our status.

Have an OOS applicants received interview invitations yet? If so, how long were you complete?

It's really annoying that there's no portal to check our status.

Nothin here!

I'm OOS and haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. I'm getting my exercise by running down the driveway to check the mail everyday though :oops:

Hey all I am an undergrad at OU applying this cycle. Drop questions about Athens if you have any, I'll try to look here and answer as best I can. Best of luck to everyone.

To answer the person above about what there is to do it Athens, if you like the outdoors or physical activity you are in luck. There are some really good local parks with trails to run, bike, or hike, lots of places to cycle, and the gym here is just ridiculous. Uptown (what downtown is called) has coffee shops and sandwich joints if you need a break. There is a large variety of bars from a microbrew to dives to college bars if you need a drink. Athens is definitely a unique town culturally speaking, a mix of hippies and college undergrads obsessed with partying. Uhh...if you like shopping or something this isn't really the place, though Columbus is only about an hour drive.

Another thing to consider is that the housing market here is inflated because of the undergrad campus. Rentals are way too expensive. I pay $525 a month for a house that is about 1/2 the size of the house that someone I know pays $500 a month to rent at OSU-COM in Tulsa.