You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013
Started by JamesLMT
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Still nothing here... In state
So last year, OOS students with 3.8/28 got II's..... so I'm hoping maybe they have reviewed my app or will review it soon. Growing very impatient. :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still waiting...
Just got an email from OU-HCOM! "Your application with OU-HCOM is now complete and before the student selection committee for review."!! YAY!!!
And if anyone is wondering, interviews this cycle will be from 9/21 through mid-April.
Hey Guys,
I am a current first-year at OU-HCOM and cannot recommend this school enough! I had several interviews during last year's cycle, and knew IMMEDIATELY once I came to OU that this was the school for me! This is truly an incredible school--our facilities, curriculum, CORE rotation system are really unmatched. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up, I'm sure I'll see you on your interview days!
I am a current first-year at OU-HCOM and cannot recommend this school enough! I had several interviews during last year's cycle, and knew IMMEDIATELY once I came to OU that this was the school for me! This is truly an incredible school--our facilities, curriculum, CORE rotation system are really unmatched. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up, I'm sure I'll see you on your interview days!
I don't understand their secondary application... Why is it asking for a personal statement instead of giving essays to answer? Just to be sure... they aren't asking for the personal statement I sent in with my primary application, are they?
No, they want a whole new essay based on their prompts.
Hey Guys,
I am a current first-year at OU-HCOM and cannot recommend this school enough! I had several interviews during last year's cycle, and knew IMMEDIATELY once I came to OU that this was the school for me! This is truly an incredible school--our facilities, curriculum, CORE rotation system are really unmatched. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up, I'm sure I'll see you on your interview days!
Any info on how well students do on the boards or in terms of match. I can't really find any info other than posts from possibly disgruntled students. Otherwise this school seems excellent and is one of my top choices as an OOS.I love that 5 year commitment thing, thinks it's a great idea though I wish they would require it of all students and not just OOS.
Check out this link for the match data from 2010. You'll need to use the scroll bar on the bottom to select the OU-HCOM tab. As far as boards go, I can't find any specific numbers anywhere, but we were showed a graph at orientation that showed OU-HCOM scores being significantly above average in every section (except maybe Biochem, if I remember correctly?) Overall, I think students here feel very prepared for boards.
https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/download-1
https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/download-1
Edit
Last edited:
I'm a 3.9/30 and I'm running out to my mailbox here in NJ every morning...
Same here! This school is very high on my list, so I'm hoping for an II soon.
Edit
Last edited:
Called and spoke to someone in the Admissions Department today - she remembered me from last week since I was finalizing my letters getting there. Said she saw that everything came in and that my packet was in front of the committee now... fingers crossed.
I'm not going to get my hopes up for this school. I've been under review since last week (that I know of) and they only interview 220 to fill 140 seats (says their website). Which is too bad, I really like this school but I'm OOS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete and under review per the admissions office. Please DO Gods, shine your OU-HCOM light on me.
I second this! Would love an II here! 👍

Crickets.............
Another week gone by and not a word from this school.
Another week gone by and not a word from this school.
is this the last school holding out on invites? They just cashed my check so our applications are definitely being received by some living being.
+1
It can never hurt to call and make sure they have all of your stuff (they don't do things online really), but don't panic if you haven't interviewed or gotten an invite yet.
I know people elsewhere are getting acceptances and have attended several interviews etc but either this week or next is OU-HCOM's first week of interviews. I'm also almost certain they only do Friday interview days (watched friends go through this before).
Keep faith and good luck!
I know people elsewhere are getting acceptances and have attended several interviews etc but either this week or next is OU-HCOM's first week of interviews. I'm also almost certain they only do Friday interview days (watched friends go through this before).
Keep faith and good luck!
Relax everyone. It's early in the game. Interviews don't even start for another 2 weeks I think. Lots of time!
I believe they start on the 24th. I have a paper at home that they gave us to fill out for student hosting. I will double check when I get home.
Edit: First group came through today - 9/21
Last edited:
hello, new at SDN, I am applying late in the game and was advised to ask on here if anyone would be willing to share what questions and or essays were required to fill out the secondary so I can go ahead and start filling them out. If anyone would be willing to share this information, I would be overly thankful. Please PM me the details if at all possible or just reply on here 🙂 

Has anyone interviewed here yet? Mine is coming up just wanted to hear some thoughts.
Interviewed last week. It's very friendly, relaxed, and easy going. You'll get some file specific questions, you may have to read an article and summarize it (it's not as bad as it sounds), and then you'll get the standard questions. They give you a decision very quickly - I got called that night to let me know I got in!Has anyone interviewed here yet? Mine is coming up just wanted to hear some thoughts.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I'm IS but at the interview there were 3 of 10 that were OOS if that info helps any, from MI, NJ, and KS I think
Great, thanks for the info! My MCAT is below the classes average so it's probably a somewhat of a long shot but never hurts to dream right?😀
.
Last edited:
what's the average gpa and mcat for this school?
They don't list it on their website bc they say they look at more than just numbers but they do say competitive applicants generally have gpas of 3.6 or above and at least 8s on all sections of the MCAT. I have their stats listed as gpa of 3.67 and MCAT of 26 but I don't remember where I got the info
what's the average gpa and mcat for this school?
Maybe they didn't used to list but they do now. Taken directly from their website under "fast facts":
MCAT average: 27.17
GPA average: 3.64
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/OUHCOM/facts.htm
Maybe they didn't used to list but they do now. Taken directly from their website under "fast facts":
MCAT average: 27.17
GPA average: 3.64
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/OUHCOM/facts.htm
Thanks, I didn't see that on there
Soooo...any news from this school?! Is it too soon to start panicking?
FAR too soon to start panicking. Quite a few people from the late part of 2012's cycle (Late Feb/early March) got in. If you're complete, worrying about what day you're going to get the interview packet isn't going to help. 🙂
Yeah, I've kinda given up on OU-HCOM. Really liked this school but haven't heard a word. Just sent another LOR.
How long will it take them to cash my check I mailed? It's been there over a week and it hasn't cleared yet lol.
got accepted this morning! Interviewed on the 19th
GPA: 3.86 sGPA 3.99
MCAT: 27R
lots of research and EC
IS
secondary completed 8/21
best of luck everyone!
GPA: 3.86 sGPA 3.99
MCAT: 27R
lots of research and EC
IS
secondary completed 8/21
best of luck everyone!
got accepted this morning! Interviewed on the 19th
GPA: 3.86 sGPA 3.99
MCAT: 27R
lots of research and EC
IS
secondary completed 8/21
best of luck everyone!
Congrats!
I interview here on Friday....any helpful tips you want to share?
Congrats!
I interview here on Friday....any helpful tips you want to share?
just be yourself, its really relaxed and everyone is really friendly!
you should be prepared to explain why you want to go to OU HCOM and why you want to be an osteopath. They also might ask you to clarify some things from you application.
best of luck!
If anybody has to come from way out of state, is flying into Columbus, and is not old enough to rent a car: http://www.ridegobus.com/index.html
GoBus is majorly legit, loads of students use it every weekend. It's like 10 bucks one way, with stops at the airport and literally 15 feet from OU-HCOM. Honestly, even if you can rent a car. This is a good deal.
GoBus is majorly legit, loads of students use it every weekend. It's like 10 bucks one way, with stops at the airport and literally 15 feet from OU-HCOM. Honestly, even if you can rent a car. This is a good deal.
congratulations.what time did they call you ? Was it Dr Schriner or somebody else from the Admissions Office ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations, I was in the same group as you but did not get a call. Did Dr. Schriner himself call you on Friday evening ?
Got the call tonight that I was accepted!!!
So happy, I loved everything about OU!
Hope others that were there today heard good news...Good Luck everyone!
Congratulations, I was in the same group as you but did not get a call. Did Dr. Schriner himself call you on Friday evening ?
Thanks!
Yes, Dr. Schriner called just before 6pm. Got the official email at 8:20am this morning.
Good Luck to you, I hope you hear good news!
Has anyone tried checking their status? I have been complete for a few weeks and have not received any complete emails. I also tried emailing and got no reply. Does anyone know a phone number to call??
I sent an email asking if I was complete; it took several days to get an answer.
Why is it that this school doesn't recieve much love/discussion among this board?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 126
- Views
- 33K
- Replies
- 228
- Views
- 63K
- Replies
- 352
- Views
- 88K
- Replies
- 639
- Views
- 116K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K