Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

Started by BB8730
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really? :/ so when the new campus opens up in warrensville does that mean it will be the same competitiveness across all three campuses. If I specify that I'd prefer warrensville would I be competing against only other people who specified warrensville or would I be competing with all OUHCOM applicant regardless of where they specified?
If you specify a location, they look at placing you there. However, they can put you on the wait for that location and accept you at the main location. There are more seats at the Athens campus so naturally you have a greater chance of getting accepted to that.
 
Really? :/ so when the new campus opens up in warrensville does that mean it will be the same competitiveness across all three campuses. If I specify that I'd prefer warrensville would I be competing against only other people who specified warrensville or would I be competing with all OUHCOM applicant regardless of where they specified?

Prior to being admitted to one of the branch campuses, you have to be accepted into OU-HCOM first. Only then are you considered for placement at a branch campus.


Posted using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think movement started a lot earlier than it did this year (mid May). According to a previous post, the admissions office thinks that movement will really pick up this week?
 
Is it possible that the school will not take anyone off of the wait list this year? Does anyone know how many people are usually on the list and how many usually come off? I thought I heard around 20.
 
I heard that in previous years, as many as 30-40 have come off. I think the best thing to do at this point is to call the office and ask if they expect to see any movement soon.
 
Is it possible that no one will come off? When is the last date someone can be added?
It's actually looking that way. With how early class is starting this year, many accepted students don't have the opportunity to decide to leave. So it works to our disadvantage...
 
What I heard from Dr. Schriner was that they should have a clear picture of the movement latest by the first week of july. So it does not look very encouraging.
 
This was from a conversation I had with him last month. That makes me think historically by the first week of july, the dust settles down after all the movement. But this year could be different. There is still a chance that there will be a mad rush in july and spots open up. But how realisitic is that? I have no idea.
 
I guess a lot of movement in the end is good. Hypothetically 20 seats open up. Realistically, are the top 20 people on the wait list going to take those spots? Probably not. A lot of people could be accepted other places and some people may find it too much of a rush to move at the last minute or what not. So that gives more people a shot I guess...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really hoping for some movement over these next few days! :xf: Have to think, the last possible date to move people would be Thursday July 3rd, right? (Holiday on the 4th and 1st year classes start on 7/7)
 
Really hoping for some movement over these next few days! :xf: Have to think, the last possible date to move people would be Thursday July 3rd, right? (Holiday on the 4th and 1st year classes start on 7/7)
I was told it goes through the 11th. First week is orientation so I guess if someone is a late joiner, they don't miss too much learning.
 
Have been on the waitlist since this past fall (stats: 3.5 overall and sci, 33). Accepted elsewhere but would love to attend here.
Shocked you haven't been accepted w/ those numbers. Are you out of state?
 
I'm starting to regret declining the post bac offer here. I was optimistic about the waitlist. I wonder if it's you late to reconsider.
 
With the heaviest of hearts, today I withdrew my acceptance/seat for the incoming class. I hope one of you gets it. It's truly an amazing school!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With the heaviest of hearts, today I withdrew my acceptance/seat for the incoming class. I hope one of you gets it. It's truly an amazing school!
Thanks and congrats on multiple acceptances! Mind if I ask where you'll be going and what your stats were?
 
I accepted an offer at neomed. It was a very hard choice, but neomed is only 30 minutes from my home and I have a lot of physicians and networks established up here. I'm just thrilled to have an opportunity to further pursue my dreams and feel incredibly blessed. Stats wise, I had a 3.96, 26 mcat, solid ecs, one summer Reu plus an additional year of research at my undergrad instruction. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the process or my application!! Feel free to message me 🙂
 
Going to Cincinnati...it was a hard decision but after carefully weighing the pros and cons decided it was the best for me. I loved OU HCOM and was almost ready to put a deposit for an apartment in Dublim when I got off the wait list at Cincinnati
I completely agree!! Where are you going to instead?