Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how they feel about Macs? I was looking under their technology requirements and it only mentions PCs

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how they feel about Macs? I was looking under their technology requirements and it only mentions PCs

I think it's okay. They have to tinker with it a little bit to get the programs to work. But I think it should be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)

I asked one of the 3rd year med students on my interview day and he said he's had no problems thus far just running Windows from Bootcamp off of a Mac. I'm a Mac devotee myself and almost cried when I thought I would have to get a Windows computer.

If you're a member of the class FB page you can look there, this was posted with a lot of really good responses. I understand that there is only one program that is windows-specific but it has a web app and therefore you don't even need Bootcamp or Parallels. I also am a Ma person and I was so glad to learn that I won't have to switch back!

Who else is beyond ready to put on that white coat in July and get started?!?

Reactions: 1 users
wow that is unbelievable. your MCAT is awesome, far above their average. Very sorry that you weren't accepted. Had you sent a DO LOR?

The D.O I interviewed with said he strongly recommended I got a letter to which I said I could and would do so right away. I had told them about my recent shadowing of a DO. It was probably too late by then, especially since I didn't even get waitlisted. Hard to believe that one piece of paper is what stood between be and an acceptance.

3.36sgpa, 3.79nsgpa, 3.49cgpa, 26 MCAT (10ps/8vr/8bs). Ohio resident set on OU-HCOM. Collegiate athlete, good ECs. Been complete since early October and really getting antsy about an ii. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not a letter of interest/intent, updated LOR, etc. would be a good idea in order to keep them thinking about me or is that just another thing to add to the file in the eye of the admissions committee? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. thanks!

3.36sgpa, 3.79nsgpa, 3.49cgpa, 26 MCAT (10ps/8vr/8bs). Ohio resident set on OU-HCOM. Collegiate athlete, good ECs. Been complete since early October and really getting antsy about an ii. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not a letter of interest/intent, updated LOR, etc. would be a good idea in order to keep them thinking about me or is that just another thing to add to the file in the eye of the admissions committee? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. thanks!
Wondering the same thing. If you do this at any school on pre-interview hold, does it actually help or does it reek of desparation and is an annoyance for admissions?

Does anyone know if registering for the January MCAT will keep admissions from considering an application even with previous MCAT results already on file?

Would also appreciate any info about letter of interest. Also does anyone know if the school sends out letter/email if you don't get an interview invite?

Would also appreciate any info about letter of interest. Also does anyone know if the school sends out letter/email if you don't get an interview invite?

Wondering the same thing. If you do this at any school on pre-interview hold, does it actually help or does it reek of desparation and is an annoyance for admissions?

I spoke with the admissions director today. They "love" file updates but nothing was really said about letters of interest. I have some clinical research projects to update my file with so I was going to send a letter relating to my projects and tie in my interest in the school. As far as a straight forward letter of interest goes, I'm not sure how they view those. But I was told that "real people" review every file and file update that comes in. So if you have something to update your file with, it can't hurt to throw in a statement or two about your interest in the school... it'll be seen by actual human eyes. Also, hellome123, I was told that everyone who does not receive an ii is still "in review" until the last seat is filled unless a specific threshold wasn't met with either GPA or MCAT score. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with the admissions director today. They "love" file updates but nothing was really said about letters of interest. I have some clinical research projects to update my file with so I was going to send a letter relating to my projects and tie in my interest in the school. As far as a straight forward letter of interest goes, I'm not sure how they view those. But I was told that "real people" review every file and file update that comes in. So if you have something to update your file with, it can't hurt to throw in a statement or two about your interest in the school... it'll be seen by actual human eyes. Also, hellome123, I was told that everyone who does not receive an ii is still "in review" until the last seat is filled unless a specific threshold wasn't met with either GPA or MCAT score. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info! So does that mean if we received a secondary but have not heard anything yet, then we're still in review?

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to send an update soon.

Thanks for the info! So does that mean if we received a secondary but have not heard anything yet, then we're still in review?

No problem. And yes, that's the impression I got. If you have any questions at all give the admissions office a call. They are very nice and very helpful. You can simply ask to check the status of your application and they will give you a specific answer. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to send an update soon.
No problem. Good luck!

Do you know the MCAT and GPA threshold they are looking for?

Accepted this morning via email! I'm super excited about OU-HCOM. I loved the school. (Primary application completed October 1st)

Reactions: 1 user
Would you mind sharing your stats? Seems like not many OOS ii offers thus far?
MCAT: 26; cGPA and sGPA: 3.3-3.5
I'm a resident of a bordering state. Mailed in my out-of-state secondary application the week after Thanksgiving.

MCAT: 26; cGPA and sGPA: 3.3-3.5
I'm a resident of a bordering state. Mailed in my out-of-state secondary application the week after Thanksgiving.
This is such a crazy process. My stats are slightly higher, also OOS and complete since the beginning of October and I have heard nothing. I have extensive research, clinical shadowing DO's and MD's and thousands of hours of community service/volunteer work. It is so hard to determine what they are looking for??? I am hoping to get an ii here as I really love the school.

Hello all! Wanted some input on my app to this school. Sent my secondary about 2 weeks ago and my LORs last week, which I am worried was a little too late.
sGPA 3.43, cGPA 3.60, MCAT 23, 29 (most recent)
Strong essays, LORs, and research. Just finished a masters fellowship in biomedical engineering.
Shadowed a few primary care docs in undergrad, but not recently and not any DOs. Some community service. Plan to shadow a DO and volunteer in upcoming months off and send updates. Instate. Dublin-campus preferred (strong central Ohio ties).

Any ideas of what to expect? Thanks!

So excited about this school, has been my top choice all along. Received an II today! Such a great day and awesome way to bring in the new year!!

Reactions: 1 user
So excited about this school, has been my top choice all along. Received an II today! Such a great day and awesome way to bring in the new year!!
Congratulations! Hope you get in! Would you mind sharing your stats? When did you submit?

Happy for you. When was your application received by the school? or completed.

Hello all! Wanted some input on my app to this school. Sent my secondary about 2 weeks ago and my LORs last week, which I am worried was a little too late.
sGPA 3.43, cGPA 3.60, MCAT 23, 29 (most recent)
Strong essays, LORs, and research. Just finished a masters fellowship in biomedical engineering.
Shadowed a few primary care docs in undergrad, but not recently and not any DOs. Some community service. Plan to shadow a DO and volunteer in upcoming months off and send updates. Instate. Dublin-campus preferred (strong central Ohio ties).

Any ideas of what to expect? Thanks!

I would try to get a letter of recommendation from a DO as soon as possible. From what I've heard/experienced, the DO letter is pretty important.

Accepted today on the way home from my interview!! I loved this school! So thrilled!

[quoteanyone oardinal91, post: 14780896, member: 527994"]Accepted today on the way home from my interview!! I loved this school! So thrilled![/quote]

Does anyone know why they call some people after the interview? Or if they call most of the people they accept or just a few?

[quoteanyone oardinal91, post: 14780896, member: 527994"]Accepted today on the way home from my interview!! I loved this school! So thrilled!

Does anyone know why they call some people after the interview? Or if they call most of the people they accept or just a few?[/quote]

I didn't get a call and worried. I was accepted 3 days later and all was right with the world.

Haha worried is an understatement...
I really wouldn't worry, although I know it's easier said than done. A lot of people who are accepted don't hear until Monday. It def doesn't mean you're any more or less qualified if you hear on Friday or Monday. Go out, celebrate having another interview under your belt and try not to let it weigh on you too much. Good luck!

Hi! I'm new to the board...anyway, I think it's great.

I wanted to know if anyone knows what's going on w/USC...have they accepted people off their list; is there expected to be a lot of movement this year off their wait-list? It's stressing me out to the max to wait.

Also, do they send out different wait-list letters. The reason I ask is b/c I saw that someone put an excerpt from their letter and it was different than mine.

Any input is apprectiated. Thanks!
Do exactly what this man says.

For the Dublin campus, does anyone know which fields are being considered as "primary care"? Does it include GYN or just Family Medicine, Peds, and IM?

Well I was denied yesterday morning. 32mcat(p10v11b11) 3.2 cGPA 3.8 sGPA (3.9 for two years of postbacc, so good grade trend). In state. It felt as if the interview went perfectly! This was by far and away my number one school! I called to get feedback and haven't heard back yet...

My app has been complete for 2 weeks now, havent heard anything yet :/

Does anyone know what the statistics are for accepting out of state applicants? I am from West Virginia a neighboring state.

A whole 2 weeks eh?

I waited about 2 months, just be patient

My app has been complete for 2 weeks now, havent heard anything yet :/

It has only been two weeks. You probably have another month or so before you hear anything. I was complete in October and didn't receive an interview invite until early December. Be patient. And I thought I heard somewhere (probably in this thread) that the out of state ratio was around 20%, but don't quote me on that one.

It has only been two weeks. You probably have another month or so before you hear anything. I was complete in October and didn't receive an interview invite until early December. Be patient. And I thought I heard somewhere (probably in this thread) that the out of state ratio was around 20%, but don't quote me on that one.

Its so hard! All I do is check my email lol ...... Thanks! Did you get accepted?

Well I was denied yesterday morning. 32mcat(p10v11b11) 3.2 cGPA 3.8 sGPA (3.9 for two years of postbacc, so good grade trend). In state. It felt as if the interview went perfectly! This was by far and away my number one school! I called to get feedback and haven't heard back yet...

During the interview, was there much discussion of your interest to go to an MD school? With that MCAT, that's the only reason I could think they rejected you.. maybe they felt you were going to pick an MD school?

Its so hard! All I do is check my email lol ...... Thanks! Did you get accepted?

I had push notifications of my emails on my phone so that I didn't constantly check. Hang in there! And yes, I was accepted in December.

I received a phone call weeks ago from OU-HCOM about my secondary not being received by the school and if I need assistance with the secondary. I read off of their instructions that they will not remind applicants about deadlines; did anyone else get this call?

I didn't send it in, by the way. :naughty:

Hi all - quick stats: 3.91 graduate GPA (MS Biology), 3.09 cSci GPA (3.5 PB GPA), 26 MCAT

Am I far off from the candidate averages here? I'm from MI... I haven't heard back from them yet, and I would really like some input! I applied pretty early too

Hi all - quick stats: 3.91 graduate GPA (MS Biology), 3.09 cSci GPA (3.5 PB GPA), 26 MCAT

Am I far off from the candidate averages here? I'm from MI... I haven't heard back from them yet, and I would really like some input! I applied pretty early too
What do you mean by early? They typically don't correspond extensively.