2020-2021 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was marked complete 10/06 and still haven’t heard back. Anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone know why this might be? I’ve been seeing people who were marked complete after me get II’s.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I was marked complete 10/06 and still haven’t heard back. Anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone know why this might be? I’ve been seeing people who were marked complete after me get II’s.
I was marked complete 11/19, so not quite in the same boat. =/

I was complete in July and still haven't heard anything. I'm assuming that means rejection at this point lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current med students at OUHCOM speak to their experience at OU thus far. When deciding between OUHCOM and another Ohio MD school which would you choose (please answer candidly). I really love the program and atmosphere at OU I just don't want to regret attending OU instead of another MD program when it comes to applying to residency and my career in the future. I understand this can get into the whole MD vs DO talk but I'm asking about OU specifically because it seems like one of the top osteopathic schools in the country.

Can any current med students at OUHCOM speak to their experience at OU thus far. When deciding between OUHCOM and another Ohio MD school which would you choose (please answer candidly). I really love the program and atmosphere at OU I just don't want to regret attending OU instead of another MD program when it comes to applying to residency and my career in the future. I understand this can get into the whole MD vs DO talk but I'm asking about OU specifically because it seems like one of the top osteopathic schools in the country.
+1, hard choice between lower tier MD school which I have heard bad things about and OU which is an excellent DO. Hope someone can weigh in

+1, hard choice between lower tier MD school which I have heard bad things about and OU which is an excellent DO. Hope someone can weigh in
Not a current student, but an applicant who has been weighing this decision very heavily as well. While I don't want my future to be held back because of my degree, I also don't want to attend a school that doesn't support it's students at the administrative level and where current students are actively saying bad things. I think I will end up going to OU in the end because nearly everyone I have talked to about the program has nothing bad to say, and I feel going DO truly only hinders the super competitive residencies such as derm, rad onc, etc which are nearly just as impossible to match in if we go to a lower tier MD school. Also, OU has a partnership with the Cleveland Clinic, which is amazing because it is nearly unheard for a DO program to be affiliated with a top hospital like Cleveland Clinic. At the end of the day, to me at least, my quality of training, location, mentorship/career development opportunities, tuition costs, and support at the administrative level outweigh the small possibility of going into a hyper-competitive residency that won't look at DO students (and being honest, I am not sure I want to go into a field of medicine that is objectively and openly biased against osteopathic training). This is just my thought process though and there really aren't any wrong choices IMO.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Not a current student, but an applicant who has been weighing this decision very heavily as well. While I don't want my future to be held back because of my degree, I also don't want to attend a school that doesn't support it's students at the administrative level and where current students are actively saying bad things. I think I will end up going to OU in the end because nearly everyone I have talked to about the program has nothing bad to say, and I feel going DO truly only hinders the super competitive residencies such as derm, rad onc, etc which are nearly just as impossible to match in if we go to a lower tier MD school. Also, OU has a partnership with the Cleveland Clinic, which is amazing because it is nearly unheard for a DO program to be affiliated with a top hospital like Cleveland Clinic. At the end of the day, to me at least, my quality of training, location, mentorship/career development opportunities, tuition costs, and support at the administrative level outweigh the small possibility of going into a hyper-competitive residency that won't look at DO students (and being honest, I am not sure I want to go into a field of medicine that is objectively and openly biased against osteopathic training). This is just my thought process though and there really aren't any wrong choices IMO.
I had the same thoughts. OUHCOM had the CEO of Cleveland Clinic as a commencement speaker and he said OU is one of the leading medical educations in the country, Id say that's a pretty credible source. I think that the partnership with Cleveland Clinic is huge as we will have access to a great network of resources (especially for rotations) as well as research opportunities. I guess its just a small part of my ego that is hesitant about having D.O. after my name because of all the old people who still have a stigma against osteopathy, but with the way that things are going in terms of the residency merger and holistic medicine in general it seems like osteopathic physicians can only trend up in terms of people starting to learn more about the degree. Also I know this is n=1 but I know someone who graduated from OU and matched into ortho surgery so it's definitely possible to get into competitive residencies! I think I will end up choosing OU because it will be better for my overall well being in the long run and I will have the best opportunity to succeed compared to a low tier MD school. Also, the Cleveland and Dublin campuses are prime locations in OH. Much better than being stuck in Rootstown or Toledo, OH.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
OU is an amazing school, it’s going to be a hard decision for me if I get into an Ohio MD school. I shadowed a really successful orthopedic surgeon that graduated from OU, and a ton of DO’s in Ohio are from OU if you’re looking to stay local (I am). I’m personally interested in psych so I’m not worried about matching as a DO but having to explain what a DO is to people is pretty annoying.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when they’re interviewing till? I’m patiently hoping they send out more invites

anyone know if OU release stats on how many people they accept off waitlist each year?

It finally happened. I got that II

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, Recently applied ( I know lol), but it's been a couple of weeks now, do I email them if my letters haven't been checked off yet?

• Hmm
It finally happened. I got that II
NICE!!! Not that you asked but I received some great interview advice and I could tell they were impressed so I wanted to pass that along. Be sure to know what Evidence based medicine is, try to find a way to connect with your interviewer (like hobbies, places you've traveled, etc) to show your more personable side, if you have a low MCAT or GPA, be able to explain how you will change your study habits in the future so that its not a reflection of what you'll get on your Boards, etc. You may have one interviewer who is super nice and just trying to get to know you as a person, another who is more-so asking the assigned questions and writing down everything you say, and a third who is literally looking at your app and asking about your experiences. BE ADAPTABLE! Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
NICE!!! Not that you asked but I received some great interview advice and I could tell they were impressed so I wanted to pass that along. Be sure to know what Evidence based medicine is, try to find a way to connect with your interviewer (like hobbies, places you've traveled, etc) to show your more personable side, if you have a low MCAT or GPA, be able to explain how you will change your study habits in the future so that its not a reflection of what you'll get on your Boards, etc. You may have one interviewer who is super nice and just trying to get to know you as a person, another who is more-so asking the assigned questions and writing down everything you say, and a third who is literally looking at your app and asking about your experiences. BE ADAPTABLE! Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice!!

Got an II this morning for 3/16 but I'm declining it for another acceptance else place. Good luck to whoever the open spot goes to!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
In the last accepted students email, the computer requirements were mentioned. It says that Windows is preferred and Mac isn’t supported. Do any current students know if Mac are that much of a problem compatibility wise? Just want to know if I should factor in an extra expense for the summer

In the last accepted students email, the computer requirements were mentioned. It says that Windows is preferred and Mac isn’t supported. Do any current students know if Mac are that much of a problem compatibility wise? Just want to know if I should factor in an extra expense for the summer
Not a current student but you can always Bootcamp your Mac if you need to use Windows specific software.

Are they still sending out interviews? I'm assuming I didn't get selected to interview for TCC because silence since October lol

• Care
Has anyone here sent thank you cards via snail mail?

I've talked to a few students that said they haven't had issues with a mac so far. I need a new computer either way, but I think I'm sticking with mac. I just don't like PC's. I just plan to load windows if I have to or start to have issues.

I've talked to a few students that said they haven't had issues with a mac so far. I need a new computer either way, but I think I'm sticking with mac. I just don't like PC's. I just plan to load windows if I have to or start to have issues.
Oh good because I was wondering about this as well. I have only ever had Macs and need to buy a new computer before the fall. I feel like I will just get another mac as well....

Anyone who interviewed yesterday get a response yet?

Just an FYI, I had an interview yesterday and they explicitly stated they still had openings. They didn't mention how many more openings they had, or if the 18 people being interviewed could potentially fill them, but they made a point to say that the class was not yet full. I read above somewhere that another user stated they have gone 70 or so deep into their waitlist in the past, and I will also confirm that this was explicitly stated in one of the presentations, as well.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? I also interviewed and haven't heard back yet
Yeah no worries, I'm out of state (Arizona) and I had a 3.5 overall and a 3.5 science GPA and 518 MCAT. They called me yesterday around 6:30p EST and I received an email around 8:30a this morning. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard of any rejections from OUHCOM? I'm not sure if it's one of the schools that give out silent rejections (never hear back from them or they wait till the end of the cycle to send out rejections).

Has anyone heard of any rejections from OUHCOM? I'm not sure if it's one of the schools that give out silent rejections (never hear back from them or they wait till the end of the cycle to send out rejections).
I got a rejection last cycle in late April. I am not sure if it was because they were still considering me until that point or just forgot about me. Still waiting to hear back this cycle, not holding my breath though... In state btw.

• Care
I got a rejection last cycle in late April. I am not sure if it was because they were still considering me until that point or just forgot about me. Still waiting to hear back this cycle, not holding my breath though... In state btw.
Gotcha! Would you be comfortable sharing your stats from last year?

Gotcha! Would you be comfortable sharing your stats from last year?
Sure. My last cycle I had 2.47 undergrad GPA, 4.0 GPA in non-related MS program and a few credits of post-bacc and 497 MCAT. This cycle I had 28 credits of post-bacc with 3.64 GPA, 501 MCAT.

Has anyone had their portal change from “under review” to “prospect” isn’t that essentially the same thing?

Has anyone had their portal change from “under review” to “prospect” isn’t that essentially the same thing?

I just took a look at mine. I see Prospect under the Application tab. But I honestly have not looked at that tab at all. Just checked the front landing page which has not changed at all. Not sure what the Prospect thing means or when it showed up.

I just took a look at mine. I see Prospect under the Application tab. But I honestly have not looked at that tab at all. Just checked the front landing page which has not changed at all. Not sure what the Prospect thing means or when it showed up.
Any current students know what this might mean? Thanks!

Any idea when WL movement may start? I’m not sure when the plan to enroll/commit to enroll is for AACOMAS

Does anyone know how applying for financial aid and scholarships work if you're WL?