2021-2022 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Meanwhile I was told that there was nothing wrong with my application or interview and I don't need to change anything and just keep hoping
I am in a similar situation right now. I know the only thing I could potentially improve is my MCAT score, but that would be the case if I don't get accepted anywhere and need to reapply next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Meanwhile I was told that there was nothing wrong with my application or interview and I don't need to change anything and just keep hoping

Interesting. I mean, they said something I couldn't fix was the problem and that's why I was waitlisted so I couldn't actually do anything about it. However, I wish they would have isolated what they believed the problem to be so you could send in updates or address the problem for the next cycle.

• Hmm
I agree with this comment. Did you originally ask them what was causing hesitation after your interview? They told me what they believed was the issue with my app and it helped a lot to hear that.
Yep, did that immediately. And they didn't have anything to say. I feel like I'm being BS'd to be honest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you should be pretty high up in the waitlist que then.

• Hmm
Yep, did that immediately. And they didn't have anything to say. I feel like I'm being BS'd to be honest.
They seem to be pretty up front with people about what they're lacking so if they didn't say anything is wrong you may be higher up on the waitlist que as well.

Something else to mention is they have not given out financial aid yet. Maybe they are waiting for more waitlist movement.

They seem to be pretty up front with people about what they're lacking so if they didn't say anything is wrong you may be higher up on the waitlist que as well.
This is very true. They told me my interview was the part lacking of my app and then proceeded to ask if I was sick that day.

They're very upfront if there's something holding your app back. So I would also assume you're higher on the list as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Well we'll just see, I'll be sure to post here if I get a decision. I wish they'd tell us our ranking, or at least tier or quartile.

Well we'll just see, I'll be sure to post here if I get a decision. I wish they'd tell us our ranking, or at least tier or quartile.
My fingers are crossed for both of you.

And I agree. I think tier/quartile would be something that could definitely be improved upon in the admissions process.

I know dr. Batman is interested in C, but did you say which campus you were interested in?

My fingers are crossed for both of you.

And I agree. I think tier/quartile would be something that could definitely be improved upon in the admissions process.

I know dr. Batman is interested in C, but did you say which campus you were interested in?
Thank you, I hope we both get in too. I know dr.batman has been waiting for a looong time too. I applied to A and D

Nope not really which is even more disheartening
me too. everyone I spoke too after my waitlist in January said that I should just "keep up the good work" and nothing specific could improve my application. Even when I discussed a re-app with them they said to basically reapply with the same app just a "new coat of paint".

The most frustrating part of this all is that I love this school. I am not desperate for an acceptance and this wouldnt be my only A. I just hope that the people on the accepted list (that are holding this A as their backup) and get pulled into wherever they want and open the seats for students like us.

I have been feeling this way for months. I am so sick of feeling like their blowing smoke when I want to be able to trust when they say that they want me here.

Something else to mention is they have not given out financial aid yet. Maybe they are waiting for more waitlist movement.
Would this be inhibiting WL movement at all? for example if students are waiting to see how much scholarship they receive and maybe that encourages them to go elsewhere? I doubt it since OU tuition is relatively low....

I have been feeling this way for months. I am so sick of feeling like their blowing smoke when I want to be able to trust when they say that they want me here.

Would this be inhibiting WL movement at all? for example if students are waiting to see how much scholarship they receive and maybe that encourages them to go elsewhere? I doubt it since OU tuition is relatively low....
I'm thinking they may be waiting for a big wl push to award them so more people recieve the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
L
I'm thinking they may be waiting for a big wl push to award them so more people recieve the scholarship.

I would also agree—to see who really wants to go to HCOM, not just for the $$$ part (which we know is important, but they want to know who will stick it out)

I remember them saying during interview and virtual events that they wanted every student to have some type of scholarship. They do not give all the money to only few students and leave the rest without any, so it makes sense if they are waiting for more WL movement before sending scholarships out.

• Okay...
  • Love
To those on the WL, don't give up. For those of you who are on the WL and were told not to give up by admissions, I was in your shoes last cycle. I interviewed last March and thought it went really well and I was unfortunately WL'ed the next day. When I asked for feedback, they told me that my application and interview were great and I was in good shape to get off the list....I had so much hope but the day never came. I felt like I was being led on, but in reality, they just didn't have enough seats at the time (or so I was told). I reapplied this cycle because I loved the school and everything about it. Fortunately, I was accepted the day after my interview. That was just my situation, but plenty of other people were told the same thing as me and got off the list, so don't stress yet and you're not alone. There's still now until August to get off the list.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I am planning on withdrawing my acceptance here in the next couple of days so there will for sure be another seat open soon! Good luck to all of you guys! Each and every one of you are so deserving

• Love
I am planning on withdrawing my acceptance here in the next couple of days so there will for sure be another seat open soon! Good luck to all of you guys! Each and every one of you are so deserving
Which campus are you withdrawing from?

You never ended up doing it two weeks ago??? And held on to multiple A’s? Congrats on being in that position, but please decide😂

You never ended up doing it two weeks ago??? And held on to multiple A’s? Congrats on being in that position, but please decide😂
There could be many reasons for this. It’s possible they just got into their top school when a seat opened up. I would urge you to not jump to conclusions. If they were holding multiple A’s though I agree totally. But you just don’t know.

There could be many reasons for this. It’s possible they just got into their top school when a seat opened up. I would urge you to not jump to conclusions. If they were holding multiple A’s though I agree totally. But you just don’t know.

I would agree with you to not jump to conclusions! But a quick look on their profile, they have an A from Wright State, too, that it seems like they were going to enroll there at their CTE date, unless their top school came available—which it did in the last week!

The person also stated they “just” withdrew from Dublin on May 26th.

Hence, my surprise when they said they are withdrawing in the next couple of days when they have their #1 choice earlier this week.

I would agree with you to not jump to conclusions! But a quick look on their profile, they have an A from Wright State, too, that it seems like they were going to enroll there at their CTE date, unless their top school came available—which it did in the last week!

The person also stated they “just” withdrew from Dublin on May 26th.

Hence, my surprise when they said they are withdrawing in the next couple of days when they have their #1 choice earlier this week.

Omg I did withdraw from Dublin 2 weeks ago! I thought I posted this update in the Wright State forum. So sorry everyone!

• Haha

And yes I just got into UC (my top choice). Good luck to you all!

• Love
Here’s to hoping the waitlist push we’re all waiting for happens this week

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Any current students able to share how housing is at Athens? If we were to go there, where is the best place to live where we can avoid undergrads?

The last time I reached out to them was the week of May 15th, which I was told the same thing. I am planning to attend the Choose DO event on 6/22 to ask for more info, but if anyone else emailed them or called, please share it with us!
You still planning on attending this? I was thinking I would but I dont even know what to say/ask at this point

You still planning on attending this? I was thinking I would but I dont even know what to say/ask at this point
Yes, most likely. I still don't have any acceptance anywhere, and this will be the last ChooseDO event for those on the waitlist. I think the next one is not until September.

Yes, most likely. I still don't have any acceptance anywhere, and this will be the last ChooseDO event for those on the waitlist. I think the next one is not until September.
If you attend the ChooseDO event, could you please post any WL-related info they may give you? I'm unable to join due to work :\

If you attend the ChooseDO event, could you please post any WL-related info they may give you? I'm unable to join due to work :\
Yes, absolutely! They usually have their cameras on and don't answer questions via typing like other schools, but I will post on here any helpful info they might share.

Just wanted to encourage those of you on the waitlist to hang in there.

We have GroupMe for accepted students and I noticed there have been a couple people leave the Athens group chat so hopefully there will be some movement for you all soon!

• Wow
Can anyone who attends the mixer post the highlights here? I can't attend it

We have GroupMe for accepted students and I noticed there have been a couple people leave the Athens group chat so hopefully there will be some movement for you all soon!
Did they leave recently?

Did they leave recently?
One person left Friday night and another left this morning. I am not sure when they made HCOM aware of their decision to attend another program; however, there is the possibility that it could trigger some upcoming movement. Fingers crossed for you!

This is kind of encouraging. Hopefully, we will get some good news soon! I know they could technically accept people off the waitlist all the way to orientation week.

• Care
  • Love
Gosh I hope that movement is still possible and I will take any hope I can get at this point (groupme update helps hahah). I am so stressed trying to figure out when to commit to a lease for august let alone if I should move forward planning like this wont happen.

• Care
Gosh I hope that movement is still possible and I will take any hope I can get at this point (groupme update helps hahah). I am so stressed trying to figure out when to commit to a lease for august let alone if I should move forward planning like this wont happen.
To be honest, the waiting game is the HARDEST part! No one tells you how hard this is, especially since a lot of us applied a year ago and are still waiting.I guess we should hope for the best but prepare for the worst outcome. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

• Care
If it makes you guys feel better we still have not gotten scholarships or cost of attendance updates or anything like that.

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted off the waitlist on Saturday (6/18) for Dublin! I had called on Friday asking for an update and the admissions office said they couldn’t tell me anything except that there had been waitlist movement and there would be more. I got the call Saturday afternoon.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted off the waitlist on Saturday (6/18) for Dublin! I had called on Friday asking for an update and the admissions office said they couldn’t tell me anything except that there had been waitlist movement and there would be more. I got the call Saturday afternoon.
Congrats!!!! Im assuming you’re accepting the offer? If you don’t mind sharing stats im sure all of us would appreciate to know where they are at :). Yay future doc!!

Happy for you, but how funny. I did the same thing and they told me that Dublin wasn't seeing any movement and to keep remaining hopeful :rolleyes:

• Care
Congrats!!!! Im assuming you’re accepting the offer? If you don’t mind sharing stats im sure all of us would appreciate to know where they are at :). Yay future doc!!
Thank you! Yes, I accepted, hopefully there is continued movement for you all! 507 MCAT and 3.69 GPA - I also completed my secondary late (December) and interviewed for the waitlist in April. I’ve heard people with higher and lower stats getting in this year though, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that since there’s a lot more that goes into your app! Good luck everyone!

• Love
Yeah my friend said they were no longer accepting for Dub... So that's real ****ty tbh... I'm going to call about CLE probably tomorrow cause honestly I'm tired of all the BS

Happy for you, but how funny. I did the same thing and they told me that Dublin wasn't seeing any movement and to keep remaining hopeful :rolleyes:
Yeah my friend said they were no longer accepting for Dub... So that's real ****ty tbh... I'm going to call about CLE probably tomorrow cause honestly I'm tired of all the BS
Sometimes a student might withdraw their acceptance at the last minute, and they might pull someone off the waitlist even after they say "We are not seeing any movement." It is truly not over until they start orientation week.
Last week I talked to someone from the Athens campus to ask if they usually see any WL movement into July and said yes, but not as much as May and June.

We got this people! Trust the hard work you put in (Trying to stay positive even though it is very hard right now).

Sometimes a student might withdraw their acceptance at the last minute, and they might pull someone off the waitlist even after they say "We are not seeing any movement." It is truly not over until they start orientation week.
Last week I talked to someone from the Athens campus to ask if they usually see any WL movement into July and said yes, but not as much as May and June.

We got this people! Trust the hard work you put in (Trying to stay positive even though it is very hard right now).
No I'm saying that my friend is no longer being considered for the campus they chose... And for me that's not really something that's possible. I live in Cleveland. I'm not moving to Athens for 2 years. Like if I'm told my WL for CLE is no longer an option I have to withdraw.

No I'm saying that my friend is no longer being considered for the campus they chose... And for me that's not really something that's possible. I live in Cleveland. I'm not moving to Athens for 2 years. Like if I'm told my WL for CLE is no longer an option I have to withdraw.
I thought that even if someone gets accepted to Athens, they can still be on the WL for CLE or Dublin until classes start, right? Also, I thought they ranked everyone and just went by that list one by one. They won't send rejections for those on the WL until classes start, right?

It just does not make sense for me to tell students "you are no longer being considered" for the WL until they start classes, unless that person is so low on the ranked list that there's no chance they will get off. This is just based on my understanding from talking with them, and I might have misunderstood a few things.

Fingers crossed for all of us to get that acceptance to our top choice campus!

I thought that even if someone gets accepted to Athens, they can still be on the WL for CLE or Dublin until classes start, right? Also, I thought they ranked everyone and just went by that list one by one. They won't send rejections for those on the WL until classes start, right?

It just does not make sense for me to tell students "you are no longer being considered" for the WL until they start classes, unless that person is so low on the ranked list that there's no chance they will get off. This is just based on my understanding from talking with them, and I might have misunderstood a few things.

Fingers crossed for all of us to get that acceptance to our top choice campus!
They were told just for the Dublin campus. They're still being considered for Athens. Which is why I'm a little irked. And need to have a conversation with the people at CLE to make sure they know that I am only willing to be considered for CLE at this point in time.

They were told just for the Dublin campus. They're still being considered for Athens. Which is why I'm a little irked. And need to have a conversation with the people at CLE to make sure they know that I am only willing to be considered for CLE at this point in time.
Hopefully they will give you some good news!

If that's how you feel I would honestly not tell them anything and just wait and see. If you tell them it's Cleveland or nothing they may think you're going to be difficult to deal with.