2021-2022 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just so everyone knows to lookout for a 740 area code. And the OU-HCOM orientation this year will be Aug 11th so last couple of people will be coming off waitlist probably week before then. (I had some questions answered by admissions office)- not yet pulled from waitlist.*

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
What time have folks been receiving calls? Just so I know what times of day to force myself to not be neurotic

Just so everyone knows to lookout for a 740 area code. And the OU-HCOM orientation this year will be Aug 11th so last couple of people will be coming off waitlist probably week before then. (I had some questions answered by admissions office)- not yet pulled from waitlist.*
Any other helpful information from the admissions office?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What time have folks been receiving calls? Just so I know what times of day to force myself to not be neurotic
Mine was 3:20 PM but doubt there’s a specific time. I also don’t think it’s that essential to pick up the call. I assume they will leave a message.

Is there a facebook page or groupme for the Class of 2026?
Hi, yes there is a groupme! There are actually several, one main groupme and separate ones for the 3 locations. Email your admissions counselor and they should be able to invite you

Just spoke with a adcom at HCOM and they said it’s an unprecedented low for waitlist movement for them. Very hard to hear with them being mr top choice. Here’s to hoping June opens more seats!
put this in the waitlist support thread but figured I would post it here in case anyone doesn't follow that. Anyone seen waitlist movement lately?

• Care
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, since I have been checking this site religiously for WL movement I just wanted to let others know that I was pulled from the WL this afternoon and there's still hope! Good luck to the rest of you. I know the waiting has been TOUGH.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, since I have been checking this site religiously for WL movement I just wanted to let others know that I was pulled from the WL this afternoon and there's still hope! Good luck to the rest of you. I know the waiting has been TOUGH.
Congrats!! Which campus are you headed to?

Congrats! Would you feel comfortable sharing stats? The other few people who were pulled of the WL here had high stats, so I'm wondering if they're only pulling high-stat people.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! When did you interview, and which campus are you headed to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any info about their post-bacc and the selection criteria for it? I know it is by invitation only based on their website but any insight?

Congrats! Would you feel comfortable sharing stats? The other few people who were pulled of the WL here had high stats, so I'm wondering if they're only pulling high-stat people.
I'll be headed over to athens! I interviewed early November. I had a cGPA of 3.77 and a super low MCAT score, however I had a LOT of experiences and updates.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'll be headed over to athens! I interviewed early November. I had a cGPA of 3.77 and a super low MCAT score, however I had a LOT of experiences and updates.
Huge congratulations! Hopefully, we will be next!

Just withdrew my acceptance to Dublin campus. Hope it goes to one of you guys soon. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Wierd question: Is there a dress code at OUHCOM in classes?
I know to dress professionally when out in the community. I assume closed toes shoes and pants for labs. Can’t find anything about classroom policies though.

Wierd question: Is there a dress code at OUHCOM in classes?
I know to dress professionally when out in the community. I assume closed toes shoes and pants for labs. Can’t find anything about classroom policies though.
For Dublin and Cleveland, we have to dress in business casual. Athens essentially gets to wear whatever they want every day for class.

I think I speak for both D&C when I say we aren't the biggest fans.

For Dublin and Cleveland, we have to dress in business casual. Athens essentially gets to wear whatever they want every day for class.

I think I speak for both D&C when I say we aren't the biggest fans.
Just had to spend a few hundred on slacks, polos, and comfy shoes. Not the biggest fan on the dress code policy.

I am a matriculating student at the Dublin campus interested in research.
1. Is it reasonable time wise to start research during OMS-1 once we get used to the expectations or is it better to wait until summer.
2. Geared towards current Dublin student involved in research or has a friend that is: I assume traditional bench research is limited for students on the Dublin campus. Can I find faculty here pursing other projects like chart review or community health and where would I look for this information? I heard students look outside for research as well like at the Athens campus (summer), Ohio health and nationwide childrens. Do you know if research at Ohio State a viable option if we identify a mentor?
Thanks

Has anyone been moved off the waitlist for the Cleveland campus not for the family medicine program, I forget the abbreviation.

1. Is it reasonable time wise to start research during OMS-1 once we get used to the expectations or is it better to wait until summer.
2. Geared towards current Dublin student involved in research or has a friend that is: I assume traditional bench research is limited for students on the Dublin campus. Can I find faculty here pursing other projects like chart review or community health and where would I look for this information? I heard students look outside for research as well like at the Athens campus (summer), Ohio health and nationwide childrens. Do you know if research at Ohio State a viable option if we identify a mentor?
Thanks

1. I would start as early as possible (before classes), such that you could be oriented to it before coursework starts (on conversely, start coursework)... just find some way to get a leg up if your summer schedule permits
2. out of my scope to comment

Thanks

1. I did a lot of research in undergrad/grad, but I didn't do anything during the school year. I think you just have to find individuals interested in a certain topic. (Basically, you have to do a lot of outside independent searching to find a mentor/PI.) I have two friends who did research within the year, so it is absolutely doable. Just depends on your time management/memory/life commitments/etc.

2. OhioHealth is a big one for research for Dublin. I'm working with them for my summer research. However, I am pretty positive that people have found quality research at multiple locations. I'm going to guess OSU is fine as long as you can identify a research mentor and have the school approve it. Dublin has multiple research opportunities posted for the summer- most of which offer stipends - so I applied to all of those and was excited to work with OhioHealth because they try and pair you with a research topic similar to your desired residency.

So we have to wait for the scholarship package before we can take out loans right? We won't know how much to take out until then.

This thread has been reeeeaaaal quiet.... has there been any movement at all??

I feel like it has been so quiet across all the schools I have been waitlisted at and it is driving me crazy.

I feel like it has been so quiet across all the schools I have been waitlisted at and it is driving me crazy.
Seriously!!! what is happening this year it's wild. We haven't seen nearly as much activity across the board. I feel like each day is harder than the next waiting to hear back from here.

Has anyone reached out to admissions regarding the waitlist recently? Last I heard they were having minimal movement this year, which they confirmed is very unusual..

Has anyone reached out to admissions regarding the waitlist recently? Last I heard they were having minimal movement this year, which they confirmed is very unusual..
The last time I reached out to them was the week of May 15th, which I was told the same thing. I am planning to attend the Choose DO event on 6/22 to ask for more info, but if anyone else emailed them or called, please share it with us!

Just spoke with a adcom at HCOM and they said it’s an unprecedented low for waitlist movement for them.
Since this convo I had with them on 5/24 I have contacted them one other time and all they said was to “keep hoping”. Man is that easier said than done lol. @Dr_Su98 if you ask please update us on what they say!!

Since this convo I had with them on 5/24 I have contacted them one other time and all they said was to “keep hoping”. Man is that easier said than done lol. @Dr_Su98 if you ask please update us on what they say!!
I might reach out before the 22nd, so I will post what they say.

• Love
I don't remember when I reached out but I got the same message about "keep hope".

• Care
For what it's worth, since last Wednesday, I counted 9 people joining the GroupMe and only 1 person left. That could be people that learned of the chat group late or who knows, but that's what I can offer for intel.

I don't remember when I reached out but I got the same message about "keep hope".
Yeah I feel every time I reach out they say "keep hope" and it is definitely easier said than done. I know they usually accept about 60-70 people off the waitlist out of a total of 170-200 people on the waitlist, so that's a good number that gives me some hope.
Let's hope for some good news soon.

For what it's worth, since last Wednesday, I counted 9 people joining the GroupMe and only 1 person left. That could be people that learned of the chat group late or who knows, but that's what I can offer for intel.
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah I feel every time I reach out they say "keep hope" and it is definitely easier said than done. I know they usually accept about 60-70 people off the waitlist out of a total of 170-200 people on the waitlist, so that's a good number that gives me some hope.
Let's hope for some good news soon.

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing!
It's just annoying because I've literally seen no movement for the campus that I applied to and the person who said "keep hope" was for Athens and not for Cleveland which makes me feel that the Cleveland campus isn't going to be pulling people off. It also makes me feel that I won't even be offered a seat.

It's just annoying because I've literally seen no movement for the campus that I applied to and the person who said "keep hope" was for Athens and not for Cleveland which makes me feel that the Cleveland campus isn't going to be pulling people off. It also makes me feel that I won't even be offered a seat.
Did you rank both Cleveland and Athens or only Cleveland? I have heard "keep hope" from both campuses, but I know that Athens usually has the most waitlist movement since their class is the biggest across all 3 campuses.

Hey I'm sorry man I really hope you get in. You're really dedicated to this school so having you would be very valuable.

It definitely sucks that the satellite campuses have less seating for students. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I am pretty sure people in my first small group were pulled off the waitlist even into June or July. Just because you didn't hear in May doesn't mean you're never going to come off.

I know it is hard to keep hope at times like these, but don't lose faith. I agree with ProudFather94 on the fact that you have shown so much dedication to the school and they would be very lucky to have you.

If you ranked both C & A, there's still potential for you to be accepted into the Athens campus. On my original app I ranked D then A so I had the potential to go to either place off the waitlist. You might be able to discuss with them that you also want to go to Athens?

However, if you're dead set on C, then I really hope it happens for you this cycle. But if you have to wait until next cycle, I think they will look more favorably on you reapplying since it shows so much dedication to the school. Have you asked for a tour?

Did you rank both Cleveland and Athens or only Cleveland? I have heard "keep hope" from both campuses, but I know that Athens usually has the most waitlist movement since their class is the biggest across all 3 campuses.
I ranked Cleveland over Athens, but I mean I want to go to school you know. I live in Cleveland so.

It definitely sucks that the satellite campuses have less seating for students. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I am pretty sure people in my first small group were pulled off the waitlist even into June or July. Just because you didn't hear in May doesn't mean you're never going to come off.

I know it is hard to keep hope at times like these, but don't lose faith. I agree with ProudFather94 on the fact that you have shown so much dedication to the school and they would be very lucky to have you.

If you ranked both C & A, there's still potential for you to be accepted into the Athens campus. On my original app I ranked D then A so I had the potential to go to either place off the waitlist. You might be able to discuss with them that you also want to go to Athens?

However, if you're dead set on C, then I really hope it happens for you this cycle. But if you have to wait until next cycle, I think they will look more favorably on you reapplying since it shows so much dedication to the school. Have you asked for a tour?
I've already toured the school. But I'm not applying again because this is my 3rd application cycle for med school since 2016. I'm just tired.

• Care
I've already toured the school. But I'm not applying again because this is my 3rd application cycle for med school since 2016. I'm just tired.
My fingers are crossed that it works out for you. I'm really sorry; that's so tough. I can't imagine how frustrating that would be.

I ranked Cleveland over Athens, but I mean I want to go to school you know. I live in Cleveland so.
Hopefully, we will both get that A soon and let the waiting game be over!

Feeling overwhelmed and burnt out during this process is normal, especially after waiting so long! Many of us submitted primary and secondary applications almost a year ago and we are still waiting, but do not give up! I know many people got off the waitlist in June and July, so it is not over yet!

Is there anything they said needs work on your application? If wait list movement isn't happening much you may be able to get some hours in and update before they start accepting off of the waitlist.

Is there anything they said needs work on your application? If wait list movement isn't happening much you may be able to get some hours in and update before they start accepting off of the waitlist.
Nope not really which is even more disheartening

I agree with this comment. Did you originally ask them what was causing hesitation after your interview? They told me what they believed was the issue with my app and it helped a lot to hear that.

I agree with this comment. Did you originally ask them what was causing hesitation after your interview? They told me what they believed was the issue with my app and it helped a lot to hear that.
Meanwhile I was told that there was nothing wrong with my application or interview and I don't need to change anything and just keep hoping