This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itsnotludwigs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get more of an idea about the spectrum of intensity/rigor of the existing OMFS residency programs out there.

As a dental student, you hear things about the various reputations of these programs, but the info seems to be pretty limited and difficult to come by. For example, I've heard that the southern programs, such as Parkland, are more intense and rigorous than, say, a program like Montefiore, which seems to have the reputation for being less intense.

I know it's a given that all OMFS programs will be at least a certain level of high intensity, but from what I've heard, that level does vary between programs.

Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

This is why clerkship/externship/internship is really important in gauging the level of each program. Spend some time visiting the programs.

The 6yr omfs post is very insightful (number of cases/time spent on rotation etc)

At the end of the day, one person only gets to experience only one program to completion so it is kind of he said she said thing.

Try to study up on what each metric means and what that may mean for you.

All programs are very busy regardless typical 80hr weeks

Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I
I am looking to get more of an idea about the spectrum of intensity/rigor of the existing OMFS residency programs out there.

As a dental student, you hear things about the various reputations of these programs, but the info seems to be pretty limited and difficult to come by. For example, I've heard that the southern programs, such as Parkland, are more intense and rigorous than, say, a program like Montefiore, which seems to have the reputation for being less intense.

I know it's a given that all OMFS programs will be at least a certain level of high intensity, but from what I've heard, that level does vary between programs.

Thanks for the insight!

I heard Parkland wasn’t too intense actually

Reactions: 2 users