OOS/International Friendly Colleges + How Many to Apply To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eep27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am considered an international student even though I have spent most of my life in the states (since 3rd grade), and finished my undergrad here. So when I apply, I have to look at OOS/international student friendly schools. Here's my working list, and I don't know how many (or which?) to apply to considering my stats and status as international student.

Stats: 23AA, 4.0 GPA (and 4.0 sGPA); getting LOR that should be pretty strong, and working on PS

Options so far:

NYU
Dental college of Georgia (since I live in GA)
Tufts
Penn
Temple
UConn
Boston?

Looking at something hopefully on east coast to stay somewhat close to family :)

Thank you for any and all input!

Members don't see this ad.

Note: starting a research in oral pathogens coming summer and fall; ~200 shadowing hours; many many volunteering hours in different places; VP of an honor society + other leadership experience

Adding to the list:

A.T. Still and Midwestern University (both in Arizona)

Members don't see this ad :)
Look into Maryland, Nova, UMichigan, Columbia, Harvard. I would say don't go for NYU because it's one of the most expensive schools unless you have some sort of plan to pay back the loans. BU could work and they give out scholarships.

Look into Maryland, Nova, UMichigan, Columbia, Harvard. I would say don't go for NYU because it's one of the most expensive schools unless you have some sort of plan to pay back the loans. BU could work and they give out scholarships.
Maryland is very expensive too for international students.

Maryland is very expensive too for international students.
Based on the ADEA book it's around 400k with living expenses. Not a bad deal for internationals; probably cheaper than the average US school for them. Especially comparing it to NYU and USC which will now surpass 500k each with living expenses.

Based on the ADEA book it's around 400k with living expenses. Not a bad deal for internationals; probably cheaper than the average US school for them. Especially comparing it to NYU and USC which will now surpass 500k each with living expenses.
Maybe the adea book hasn’t been updated yet. The official website shows that the tuition is already more than 70k in addition to the 13k supply fees. These numbers increase at a rate of 7% every year based on their website. So it will definitely hit the 500k mark.

Maybe the adea book hasn’t been updated yet. The official website shows that the tuition is already more than 70k in addition to the 13k supply fees. These numbers increase at a rate of 7% every year based on their website. So it will definitely hit the 500k mark.
Perhaps, but from what I have seen, it had a quite "reasonable" price tag. Even if we say 70k tuition and 13k supplies, this brings it to 83K for school cost - make it 85k. Living off 16-20k near the area of the dental school (very reasonable) will bring the price to around 105k. Expensive? Yes, but not out of the ordinary. My main point was that NYU and USC are significantly more expensive; by at least ~ 20%. They are still very good schools, don't get me wrong. But based on the stats the OP gave and provided the rest of the OP's application is in order, one can find a better value elsewhere. Just my $0.02.

Perhaps, but from what I have seen, it had a quite "reasonable" price tag. Even if we say 70k tuition and 13k supplies, this brings it to 83K for school cost - make it 85k. Living off 16-20k near the area of the dental school (very reasonable) will bring the price to around 105k. Expensive? Yes, but not out of the ordinary. My main point was that NYU and USC are significantly more expensive; by at least ~ 20%. They are still very good schools, don't get me wrong. But based on the stats the OP gave and provided the rest of the OP's application is in order, one can find a better value elsewhere. Just my $0.02.
Yes, compared with NYU and USC, Maryland is a better value.

Reactions: 1 user