Oregon State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got an IS interview invite this morning! I'm so excited! Wondering about the interview format though, its not something I'm familiar with. Has anyone done the MMI format and have any advice on what to expect?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also got an IS interview invite this morning! I'm so excited! Wondering about the interview format though, its not something I'm familiar with. Has anyone done the MMI format and have any advice on what to expect?

I recently did an interview in the MMI format at another school. I feel like you can't really prepare for it. I tried reading an MMI book and practicing scenarios I found online, but I honestly don't really think it helped (other than going over the common question types and the general format of the interview). I say this just because there is no way of predicting exactly what you will be asked. There are some youtube videos about common types of questions, so those might be useful to you. The questions for the most part are designed to test personal characteristics in various scenarios. If you have any more specific questions I might be able to answer them, but obviously I didn't interview at Oregon since I am OOS so I haven't experienced their interviews. I haven't searched the forum, but I am sure people have talked about it in other threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to those who have received an invite to interview!!! Good Luck!

I recently did an interview in the MMI format at another school. I feel like you can't really prepare for it. I tried reading an MMI book and practicing scenarios I found online, but I honestly don't really think it helped (other than going over the common question types and the general format of the interview). I say this just because there is no way of predicting exactly what you will be asked. There are some youtube videos about common types of questions, so those might be useful to you. The questions for the most part are designed to test personal characteristics in various scenarios. If you have any more specific questions I might be able to answer them, but obviously I didn't interview at Oregon since I am OOS so I haven't experienced their interviews. I haven't searched the forum, but I am sure people have talked about it in other threads.
Thanks very much for the info, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm late. Lol I've been following these threads for a while now, but finally decided to make an account.

I'm an OOS student accepted!! I found out last Thursday while I was at Disney World! :happy: Congrats to everyone accepted and those who received an invitation to interview!! Good luck to everyone during the rest of the decisions process!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I'm late. Lol I've been following these threads for a while now, but finally decided to make an account.

I'm an OOS student accepted!! I found out last Thursday while I was at Disney World! :happy: Congrats to everyone accepted and those who received an invitation to interview!! Good luck to everyone during the rest of the decisions process!
Yay! I saw you on the Colorado thread too. Where are you coming from OOS? I'm OOS too.

Yay! I saw you on the Colorado thread too. Where are you coming from OOS? I'm OOS too.
Florida! I saw on another thread that you're from Florida too :) so exciting!

@katashark Thank you so much for all your advice and help! You've been great, especially since I have been having some difficulty finding a lot of information on their website. I was wondering if you could offer some insight on the types of clubs that OSU has for their vet students? Do they have a monthly feeding program by chance also?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
@katashark Thank you so much for all your advice and help! You've been great, especially since I have been having some difficulty finding a lot of information on their website. I was wondering if you could offer some insight on the types of clubs that OSU has for their vet students? Do they have a monthly feeding program by chance also?
Thank you in advance!
There is a feeding program. People pick food up on Wednesdays. It's heavily discounted. I don't have any pets, so I can find out a bit more when I get back to school for you.

Clubs: Zoo/Wildlife/Exotics, Camelids, Shelter Medicine/Humane Society, SCAVMA, Radiology, Pathology, Ethics, Emergency and Critical Care, Large Animal, Equine, Surgery, Ag Animal, Feline Practitioners, Christian Veterinarians, Lab Animal and Research, AAHA, and Veterinary Business Management. That's 17 right there. I think there are more, but they are escaping my memory. I'm starting a student chapter of WAVMA (basically will be a marine/aquatics club). Clubs have dues and various activities. If you pay dues, usually the activities are open to you first, as a member. Then if the activity is not full, they open the opportunity up to the rest of the school. Most annual dues are $10-$15. If you don't see your interest represented, you can start your own club!

Reactions: 2 users
I wanna say maybe March or April? Or after you confirm that you will attend Oregon. I'm not super sure. I can ask around when I get back to school for you guys. For some reason this stuff didn't stick in my head. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Happy New Year everyone!

Question - has anyone RSVP'd to the Open Days yet? I believe I'll be going to the February 24th date, and I'm super excited! I'm also hoping to maybe check out a few apartments etc. Any advice on places to check out @katashark ?

@katashark Quick question, do you happen to know the reason to why there are so little in state applicants. Last year only 98 applied. Do you know if Veterinarians in Oregon are in high demand or not necessarily?

@katashark Quick question, do you happen to know the reason to why there are so little in state applicants. Last year only 98 applied. Do you know if Veterinarians in Oregon are in high demand or not necessarily?
Sorry, I'm not @katashark, but I've worked in the veterinary industry here (Oregon) for a long time and am an IS applicant this year. There are certainly job openings in Oregon, but I don't know that its way more than any other state. We certainly aren't a super populated state, so that may be a contributor to the IS applicant numbers. Does that sort of answer your questions?

I don't know why there are so few IS applicants. There are job openings, but maybe students want to leave OR? I'm not sure. Most of the IS people in my class went to OSU for undergrad as well. Basically if you were IS, you had just under a 50% chance of getting in. I know there were more applicants this year though. Not sure of the exact numbers yet. I'm not sure if there is a particularly high or low demand for vets in OR. I don't want to stay in OR after graduation, but I can ask around for you guys when I'm back at school next week. That's a good question for Open Days too.

Happy New Year everyone!

Question - has anyone RSVP'd to the Open Days yet? I believe I'll be going to the February 24th date, and I'm super excited! I'm also hoping to maybe check out a few apartments etc. Any advice on places to check out @katashark ?
Some people live at The Retreat - has amenities, is close to school, but I find it expensive. I live in a house in Southtown (just South of Corvallis). The neighborhood is pretty new and there are quite a few vet students living in the area, and it's not super expensive. There are apartment complexes all around campus as well that people live in - within walking distance. I found my place using Craigslist, but a ton of upperclassmen post openings in their houses for first years as well.

Does anyone have a number on what the class size will be for 2021?

For IS people, did you you see anything about a tour? It looks like just an interview time and that's it.

For IS people, did you you see anything about a tour? It looks like just an interview time and that's it.
I didn't see anything either. If that is something you're interested in you might email Tess Collins, she's very helpful.

I don't know if there are tours at the time of the interviews, but there are tours anytime. Tess gave me a personal tour once since I needed to visit during spring break and no one was around. She's super nice!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I accepted my offer of admission to UCDavis yesterday :biglove:, so I will be giving up my OOS spot. Good luck to all those who were alternates!!

I saw somewhere how entering students are offered a scholarship with their admission email. Did anyone receive anything or are we informed later about the scholarship?

I didn't see anything either. If that is something you're interested in you might email Tess Collins, she's very helpful.

I don't know if there are tours at the time of the interviews, but there are tours anytime. Tess gave me a personal tour once since I needed to visit during spring break and no one was around. She's super nice!

Awesome! Thank you!

Hi @katashark , was looking at the weather of OR and saw that there is a big icy winter storm hitting a good parts of OR now. Is this the typical weather of OR in winter? I wasn't expecting so much snow/ice in OR. May be I have the wrong impression that west coast weather is always mild :p Being someone that grew up in the Sunshine State, I'll really need some adjustments if I am coming to OSU. Anyway, hope you stay warm and safe.

Hey so do we have orientation or class team bonding prior to the official day of class?

Hi @katashark , was looking at the weather of OR and saw that there is a big icy winter storm hitting a good parts of OR now. Is this the typical weather of OR in winter? I wasn't expecting so much snow/ice in OR. May be I have the wrong impression that west coast weather is always mild :p Being someone that grew up in the Sunshine State, I'll really need some adjustments if I am coming to OSU. Anyway, hope you stay warm and safe.
Apparently this is not typical at all. It's like the worst storm in 20 years or something. There was a light dusting of snow at the beginning of December, but it wasn't too cold/icy. It does rain a lot. Yeah, I lived in Florida and Arizona before moving here, so I totally get it. Oregon is supposed to be rainy in winter time, it has just been unusually cold this week with the ice storm. Bring a rain coat and some boots :) Thank you! I just made it back to Corvallis after I spent winter break being extra warm. :D

There is a 3 day orientation before class! Plenty of time for team bonding! :D 2 days were more administration-type stuff. 1 day was all bonding and being outside! It was very fun!
And then white coat ceremony is at the end of the 3rd before the first day of classes :)

I can second what @katashark said. I'm an Oregon native and in this part of Oregon the snow and ice is abnormal. It's usually not super warm and it rains a lot, but snow and ice are about a once a year thing and usually not this bad.

@katashark & @cowgirl92 what generally seems to be weather in late February? I figured it would be rainy but will there be any snow and/or ice? I am trying to determine how to dress when I come up to visit.

@katashark & @cowgirl92 what generally seems to be weather in late February? I figured it would be rainy but will there be any snow and/or ice? I am trying to determine how to dress when I come up to visit.
For sure rain! That time of year temps will run anywhere from 40s to 50s, usually. Probably not snow or ice though. Although watch, I say that and then it'll happen anyway, lol.

For sure rain! That time of year temps will run anywhere from 40s to 50s, usually. Probably not snow or ice though. Although watch, I say that and then it'll happen anyway, lol.

Okay I figured! Thank you both. Tess told me that the dress is business casual, but I normally wear boots in the rain...is that considered appropriate still?
We don't get much rain in Southern California! :) Except for this week of course.