Oregon State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all that got offers.
I was OOS rejected.
Still waiting on 5 more schools. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my VS990 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what the chances are for waitlisted/alternates. I'd assume that for IS, chances are low for being pulled off. However, for OOS, you'd have a much better chance on the wait list. There's also WICHE.

@Platypus0417 What would you like to know!?

I'd love to know your opinion on the school, curriculum, the town, and anything you think is important for us to know!!!! Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh my gosh I just got an OOS admissions offer!!! I am feeling pretty bad about my interview for another school yesterday, so this was a really pleasant surprise :) Definitely wasn't expecting it. Anybody else hear back?!?!

Are you talking about your interview at Davis?!?! Sorry I thought I've seen you in the Davis thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what the chances are for waitlisted/alternates. I'd assume that for IS, chances are low for being pulled off. However, for OOS, you'd have a much better chance on the wait list. There's also WICHE.

@Platypus0417 What would you like to know!?

I would love to hear just some general what you love/dislike about the school or area, if you don't mind. :) I'm making plans to visit the campus soon but I would love to hear from a current student's perspective. Do you get a lot of hands-on experience fairly early on or not until clinical years? I assume with the small class size, consulting with faculty is fairly easy? Do you like the area the school is located in? (You don't have to answer all of these questions but I am just babbling some of the questions running through my head ;)). Thank you for ANY feedback!

Reactions: 2 users
I just emailed Tessa Collins about how the alternate list works and this is what she told me:

We have invited approximately 100 applicants to remain on the alternate list, which is not ranked at this time. If/when we are able to start making offers from the alternate list, the admissions committee will complete a ranking. Each year the number of alternate offers we are able to make varies widely. Last year we were not able to offer any alternate positions, but the year before that we extended nearly 40 offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Another alternate here. Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one...

Yea...I actually spoke to first year students and they felt the same way. This one girl told me she forsure thought she messed up but she got in. Positive thoughts :) At least you have Oregon. Are you in state? Is this your first time applying?

Yea...I actually spoke to first year students and they felt the same way. This one girl told me she forsure thought she messed up but she got in. Positive thoughts :) At least you have Oregon. Are you in state? Is this your first time applying?

I don't want to clog up the Oregon thread though haha so I'll keep it short. That's reassuring! Thanks for sharing. I'm from AZ and it's my first time applying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to hear just some general what you love/dislike about the school or area, if you don't mind. :) I'm making plans to visit the campus soon but I would love to hear from a current student's perspective. Do you get a lot of hands-on experience fairly early on or not until clinical years? I assume with the small class size, consulting with faculty is fairly easy? Do you like the area the school is located in? (You don't have to answer all of these questions but I am just babbling some of the questions running through my head ;)). Thank you for ANY feedback!

@katashark I'd also like to know the student housing situation in OSU. Are there sufficient student housing for vet students especially first year student? I have a dog and would like to bring it to school with me. Do they allow pets in student housing? Thanks in advance.

Does anybody know how big the class will be? Since the email said it is increasing I was just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how big the class will be? Since the email said it is increasing I was just curious.
Oh really? It's not 56 anymore?

Oh really? It's not 56 anymore?

They said it is only "slightly" increasing, so it will still be small. It's probably an insignificant increase, I was just curious.

They said it is only "slightly" increasing, so it will still be small. It's probably an insignificant increase, I was just curious.

I don't know how to tag individual people, but I thought I recognized your name from the CSU page. I wish CSU didn't do OOS interviews too... so much money. I thought their app process was going to be similar to Oregon's...:greedy::greedy::greedy:

I don't know how to tag individual people, but I thought I recognized your name from the CSU page. I wish CSU didn't do OOS interviews too... so much money. I thought their app process was going to be similar to Oregon's...:greedy::greedy::greedy:

Yeah we must have applied to several of the same schools :) Agreed, I wish our class wasn't the first with interviews!!

Yeah we must have applied to several of the same schools :) Agreed, I wish our class wasn't the first with interviews!!
For some reason I read their website as AK, CO, ND, and WICHE, not NS. hahaha. I thought wow...they're really specific about North Dakota... I wish they could do Skype interviews, but that would be difficult with the MMI format that they have.

For some reason I read their website as AK, CO, ND, and WICHE, not NS. hahaha. I thought wow...they're really specific about North Dakota... I wish they could do Skype interviews, but that would be difficult with the MMI format that they have.

Hahaha. Yeah they do have strange terminology. After going to an MMI at another school I see why that would not really work for skype.

Hi everyone! Yes, I am a current first year here at OSU.

I didn't have to send in Fall transcripts until spring/summertime. If you have any questions about that stuff, Tess Collins responds quickly and she's super nice!

Weather: The weather is off and on, summer and fall are really nice. Winter so far is extremely windy. It doesn't snow very much, but we do get some ice. It's been pretty cold recently. Our classroom has no windows, so I'm often going to class in the dark and leaving school in the dark.

Town: The town of Corvallis is great! Lots of bars, food, hiking close by, etc. It is not far from Newport on the coast. The drive to Portland isn't bad either and there are shuttles every 2 hours or so. Target, Walmart, Costco, etc are all located about 20 minutes away in Albany. There are quite a few grocery stores to choose from.

Housing: I live in a house in Southtown and there are some other vet students who live near me. I found my roommate on Craigslist and it has worked out nicely. I was looking for a place without pets. It's about a 10 minute drive to school or a 20 minute bike ride. Most of my classmates have pets and there is LOTS of pet friendly housing here. You shouldn't have any trouble. In the summertime, upperclassmen start posting about needing roommates and such. Some classmates also don't have cars and live within walking distance. The prices aren't too bad, but it was cheaper for me to live 10 minutes away. There is plenty of housing in Corvallis available. The vet school does not provide housing, but when they sometimes notify us of available houses/rooms. There is also a good number of people who live in surrounding towns - Albany and Philomath.

Parking: There is plenty of parking available right next to the vet school. The lot is $98 for a permit for the entire year. Again, many people walk. There is also a free bus. Bike racks are also available at school. We do lose parking on game days, but then we are allowed to park even closer to the school in the large animal parking lot.

Schedule: We are on the quarter system. So we start near the end of September and go until the middle of June. We alternate a 4 and 3 week winter break each year.

Experience/Curriculum: First and second year is mostly lecture style. First and second quarter of first year, we have 1 PBL style class that's not very difficult. First quarter, we have hands on physicals of various species. It was a nice break from lecture. But honestly, it's mostly lecture and the schedule is about 9-5 every single day. We don't really get "eased" in I would say, but it's doable. You just have to stay on top of things. You will be studying A LOT! That's pretty much all you will be doing. You will be studying a lot. You will not have a lot free time honestly. The professors are fantastic. They are extremely approachable and want you to succeed. They stay late if you need. Many will come in to offer extra help on Saturdays as well! They go above and beyond for us. The class is very small and I like it that way. The professors all know us well. I don't even know how they would fit more people in the classroom. lol. There is a current plan for expanding the school though. Not much info has been provided on that. I'm sure as plans are put in motion, there will be more communication about it. You can buy hard copies of textbooks from the store, Amazon, etc. There are electronic versions available as well.

Extras: We have a thing called the Student Share Drive which you can access from your laptop from anywhere. IT shows you how to set it up the first week of school. Notes, full textbooks, outlines, helpful modules, study guides, etc is all available from previous years. It's also nice to be able to share things with your classmates - pictures, etc. There is also free printing. The library is open 24 hours and is very nice to work in. There are also conference rooms available and I enjoy studying in our classroom. We are not allowed to post any pictures on any social media of animals we work with. We have to assume that we do not a photo release, basically. Of course, if it's your own pet or a classmate's pet, feel free! Second years get to choose first years to be their "littles." I love my big. The second years are incredibly helpful and there are many surprises in store! She was one of my most helpful resources for navigating first quarter. I love my class and the class above me. I've met some 3rd years, but they are much busier and have a very different schedule. 4th year begins in June following 3rd year and there is an element of tracking. There are lots of paid summer research positions, summer programs with experience and clubs where you are able to get hands on experience throughout the year and summers of 1st and 2nd year. Most people are in clubs to get extra experience/network/meet upperclassmen/find some extra resources in certain areas/etc. We also have a vet school counselor available to us.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you so much for taking the time to post that, @katashark! I really appreciate it! Hope your finals went well :)

Is anyone planning to attend one of the open days? Oregon is one of my top choices, so I am definitely considering going. I just wish I didn't have to pay to go :p

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone planning to attend one of the open days? Oregon is one of my top choices, so I am definitely considering going. I just wish I didn't have to pay to go :p
Lots of people in my class went to Open Days last year and they all liked it. I didn't go to Open Days because flights were too expensive. So, I came a couple weeks after and was able to get a tour and everything. So, don't feel pressured to go! I'll probably be around for it, so if there's some crucial info that I hear I can also post it here. :)

Lots of people in my class went to Open Days last year and they all liked it. I didn't go to Open Days because flights were too expensive. So, I came a couple weeks after and was able to get a tour and everything. So, don't feel pressured to go! I'll probably be around for it, so if there's some crucial info that I hear I can also post it here. :)

I was going to ask if you went. That's very good to know. Thanks again!

I'm planning on going, I'm just not sure which day just yet! I can't wait to visit. I've heard amazing things about the campus.

I was thinking of going too! Oregon is one of my top 3!

Let me know if there are any other questions!
Are you involved in anything wildlife related through OSU? I work for Florida Fish and Wildlife and would ultimately like to work as a wildlife veterinarian in some capacity, whether that be in the government sector or in a clinical setting. I am looking for a school that has some clinical rotations/and or courses related to wildlife. I know OSU has an affiliation with a marine center and the wildlife safari, so could you maybe expand on those? I've visited the PNW several times and really love marine life (especially pinnipeds). :)

Sorry for the length of this! I'm just really excited to have the opportunity to go here!!

Hi everyone! Yes, I am a current first year here at OSU.

I didn't have to send in Fall transcripts until spring/summertime. If you have any questions about that stuff, Tess Collins responds quickly and she's super nice!

Weather: The weather is off and on, summer and fall are really nice. Winter so far is extremely windy. It doesn't snow very much, but we do get some ice. It's been pretty cold recently. Our classroom has no windows, so I'm often going to class in the dark and leaving school in the dark.

Town: The town of Corvallis is great! Lots of bars, food, hiking close by, etc. It is not far from Newport on the coast. The drive to Portland isn't bad either and there are shuttles every 2 hours or so. Target, Walmart, Costco, etc are all located about 20 minutes away in Albany. There are quite a few grocery stores to choose from.

Housing: I live in a house in Southtown and there are some other vet students who live near me. I found my roommate on Craigslist and it has worked out nicely. I was looking for a place without pets. It's about a 10 minute drive to school or a 20 minute bike ride. Most of my classmates have pets and there is LOTS of pet friendly housing here. You shouldn't have any trouble. In the summertime, upperclassmen start posting about needing roommates and such. Some classmates also don't have cars and live within walking distance. The prices aren't too bad, but it was cheaper for me to live 10 minutes away. There is plenty of housing in Corvallis available. The vet school does not provide housing, but when they sometimes notify us of available houses/rooms. There is also a good number of people who live in surrounding towns - Albany and Philomath.

Parking: There is plenty of parking available right next to the vet school. The lot is $98 for a permit for the entire year. Again, many people walk. There is also a free bus. Bike racks are also available at school. We do lose parking on game days, but then we are allowed to park even closer to the school in the large animal parking lot.

Schedule: We are on the quarter system. So we start near the end of September and go until the middle of June. We alternate a 4 and 3 week winter break each year.

Experience/Curriculum: First and second year is mostly lecture style. First and second quarter of first year, we have 1 PBL style class that's not very difficult. First quarter, we have hands on physicals of various species. It was a nice break from lecture. But honestly, it's mostly lecture and the schedule is about 9-5 every single day. We don't really get "eased" in I would say, but it's doable. You just have to stay on top of things. You will be studying A LOT! That's pretty much all you will be doing. You will be studying a lot. You will not have a lot free time honestly. The professors are fantastic. They are extremely approachable and want you to succeed. They stay late if you need. Many will come in to offer extra help on Saturdays as well! They go above and beyond for us. The class is very small and I like it that way. The professors all know us well. I don't even know how they would fit more people in the classroom. lol. There is a current plan for expanding the school though. Not much info has been provided on that. I'm sure as plans are put in motion, there will be more communication about it. You can buy hard copies of textbooks from the store, Amazon, etc. There are electronic versions available as well.

Extras: We have a thing called the Student Share Drive which you can access from your laptop from anywhere. IT shows you how to set it up the first week of school. Notes, full textbooks, outlines, helpful modules, study guides, etc is all available from previous years. It's also nice to be able to share things with your classmates - pictures, etc. There is also free printing. The library is open 24 hours and is very nice to work in. There are also conference rooms available and I enjoy studying in our classroom. We are not allowed to post any pictures on any social media of animals we work with. We have to assume that we do not a photo release, basically. Of course, if it's your own pet or a classmate's pet, feel free! Second years get to choose first years to be their "littles." I love my big. The second years are incredibly helpful and there are many surprises in store! She was one of my most helpful resources for navigating first quarter. I love my class and the class above me. I've met some 3rd years, but they are much busier and have a very different schedule. 4th year begins in June following 3rd year and there is an element of tracking. There are lots of paid summer research positions, summer programs with experience and clubs where you are able to get hands on experience throughout the year and summers of 1st and 2nd year. Most people are in clubs to get extra experience/network/meet upperclassmen/find some extra resources in certain areas/etc. We also have a vet school counselor available to us.
Just wanted to say thanks for posting all the info. I'm just an alternative but I still appreciate ! :)

Are you involved in anything wildlife related through OSU? I work for Florida Fish and Wildlife and would ultimately like to work as a wildlife veterinarian in some capacity, whether that be in the government sector or in a clinical setting. I am looking for a school that has some clinical rotations/and or courses related to wildlife. I know OSU has an affiliation with a marine center and the wildlife safari, so could you maybe expand on those? I've visited the PNW several times and really love marine life (especially pinnipeds). :)

Sorry for the length of this! I'm just really excited to have the opportunity to go here!!
So, as first years we do not have a lot of free time. We start getting time built into our schedules during spring quarter and all of second year. Oregon Fish and Wildlife Service has opportunities for 4th years on clinics. Also, there is a wildlife rehab center called Chintimini that you can volunteer at. We also have a Zoo, Wildlife, and Exotics Club. This club puts together activities and wetlabs related to wildlife if that's what you're interested in. There is a summer program in South Africa that also has some experience with wildlife. You can do rotations/externships anywhere your 4th year as long as you are supervised by a DVM. I asked the person in charge of scheduling rotations a few questions about this because I'm interested in aquatics, so I will be needing to travel for 4th year. There is a minimum amount of weeks that you need to spend at OSU's campus for 4th year. Other than that, it's pretty free range. You will also have the summers after 1st and 2nd year to fill with as much wildlife as you can. Getting into the wildlife scene is very difficult, so you should expect to have to put in work on our own time as well. Those rotations and summer programs are very competitive. Chintimini is pretty much always looking for volunteers, and isn't too far of a drive from campus if you want a half-day shift or something like that. I don't know too much about wildlife safari. We do have ties to the marine center, but I'm currently trying to get information on that for my own pursuits. I'll let you know when I find out more about that side of things. There is a good bit of fish-related research that goes on here if that's something you're interested in pursuing though. I'm obsessed with marine life, and you could probably volunteer at the aquarium, but there's no guarantee you'll be with the pinnipeds or with the dvm and Newport is an hour away. I'm currently founding a student chapter of WAVMA, and so we will have an marine animal-specific club on campus for wetlabs and things. There are also summer programs you can take - Aquavet, Marvet and Seavet. These are summer marine medicine courses.

So, as first years we do not have a lot of free time. We start getting time built into our schedules during spring quarter and all of second year. Oregon Fish and Wildlife Service has opportunities for 4th years on clinics. Also, there is a wildlife rehab center called Chintimini that you can volunteer at. We also have a Zoo, Wildlife, and Exotics Club. This club puts together activities and wetlabs related to wildlife if that's what you're interested in. There is a summer program in South Africa that also has some experience with wildlife. You can do rotations/externships anywhere your 4th year as long as you are supervised by a DVM. I asked the person in charge of scheduling rotations a few questions about this because I'm interested in aquatics, so I will be needing to travel for 4th year. There is a minimum amount of weeks that you need to spend at OSU's campus for 4th year. Other than that, it's pretty free range. You will also have the summers after 1st and 2nd year to fill with as much wildlife as you can. Getting into the wildlife scene is very difficult, so you should expect to have to put in work on our own time as well. Those rotations and summer programs are very competitive. Chintimini is pretty much always looking for volunteers, and isn't too far of a drive from campus if you want a half-day shift or something like that. I don't know too much about wildlife safari. We do have ties to the marine center, but I'm currently trying to get information on that for my own pursuits. I'll let you know when I find out more about that side of things. There is a good bit of fish-related research that goes on here if that's something you're interested in pursuing though. I'm obsessed with marine life, and you could probably volunteer at the aquarium, but there's no guarantee you'll be with the pinnipeds or with the dvm and Newport is an hour away. I'm currently founding a student chapter of WAVMA, and so we will have an marine animal-specific club on campus for wetlabs and things. There are also summer programs you can take - Aquavet, Marvet and Seavet. These are summer marine medicine courses.
Wow thank you for your response! So for 4th year, you pretty much have free reign after you are at Oregon for a certain number of weeks? That's actually very cool. I know UF (my IS and where I got a lot of my hours) had 4th years pretty much at campus for their entire year.

Wow thank you for your response! So for 4th year, you pretty much have free reign after you are at Oregon for a certain number of weeks? That's actually very cool. I know UF (my IS and where I got a lot of my hours) had 4th years pretty much at campus for their entire year.

Yeah you can go off and do whatever externships/rotations you want, provided you meet the minimum. This does get expensive though because most rotations don't provide housing/transportation and you're flying/driving long distances sometimes. Most of the class stays in Corvallis though because we have a lot of large and small animal stuff going on here. :) and that covers like 90% of the class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@katashark I just wanted to thank you for all the questions you've been answering/advice you've been giving!! It is very likely that I'll be accepting my offer to Oregon, so I'm sure I will have many more questions.

Actually.....I've already thought of one! What is it like being on the quarter system? Do you feel like it is easier/more difficult? I've been on the semester system, so I'm a tad nervous to switch to a quarter system, especially for vet med. Do you have exams weekly?

I also realize that is a bunch of little questions...sorry!

We do not have exams weekly. In one class, there are quizzes on most weeks. That class had one midterm and then the final exam. Our other classes had 2 midterms and then the final exam. So most of our grades are dependent on a couple of tests. We don't have homework assignments. Just because we don't have exams weekly doesn't mean we aren't all still incredibly stressed. We are studying all the time. I don't mind the quarter system. I don't really like ending so late in June because it messes up some summer programs. But there are ways to work around that sort of stuff. I've never been on the quarter system before now, but it wasn't a big adjustment. This quarter just felt like a short semester. Idk what vet med is like on the semester system but it doesn't seem any easier/harder. Just different.

Also no need to apologize! I have time to answer questions now! :) don't worry about it. Fire away!

We do not have exams weekly. In one class, there are quizzes on most weeks. That class had one midterm and then the final exam. Our other classes had 2 midterms and then the final exam. So most of our grades are dependent on a couple of tests. We don't have homework assignments. Just because we don't have exams weekly doesn't mean we aren't all still incredibly stressed. We are studying all the time. I don't mind the quarter system. I don't really like ending so late in June because it messes up some summer programs. But there are ways to work around that sort of stuff. I've never been on the quarter system before now, but it wasn't a big adjustment. This quarter just felt like a short semester. Idk what vet med is like on the semester system but it doesn't seem any easier/harder. Just different.

Also no need to apologize! I have time to answer questions now! :) don't worry about it. Fire away!

Gotcha. I've heard the quarter system isn't too difficult, I just wasn't sure if the same applied for vet med. So that means you start in late September correct ? Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen that you've mentioned winter breaks are 3 or 4 weeks depending on the year ? Is there a spring break as well ?
Of course, answer when you can! I'm sure I'll think of plenty more. :)

@katashark Thanks so much for your feedback! I've been reading everything you've been posting and it's been very helpful! Sort of a dumb question but I figured I'd ask anyways. I hear a lot about opportunities in wildlife and research but are there plentiful opportunities for experience in small animal stuff too? I've just been perusing the website and reading their Vet Gazette blog and feel like I'm not seeing too much talk about it. I know there's the small animal hospital - do students get to work there a lot? Thank you!

@katashark Thanks so much for your feedback! I've been reading everything you've been posting and it's been very helpful! Sort of a dumb question but I figured I'd ask anyways. I hear a lot about opportunities in wildlife and research but are there plentiful opportunities for experience in small animal stuff too? I've just been perusing the website and reading their Vet Gazette blog and feel like I'm not seeing too much talk about it. I know there's the small animal hospital - do students get to work there a lot? Thank you!
There is more small and large animal stuff than any other field of vet med here! You will have no shortage of opportunities - shelter work, going to rounds, etc. All of the large/small animal stuff is incredibly accessible! I only went off talking about wildlife because somebody asked. Also, the opportunities for small/large animal are plentiful, unlike the wildlife stuff which is less accessible and few/far between. The hospital on campus only sees large/small animals and you can just walk through it sometimes. Also, all of our classes deal mainly with small/large animals, so you will have plenty of time spent studying them! As a first year, you won't work in the hospital, but you can in later years. First year, the school mainly wants you to focus on adjusting to the rigorous program and maintaining a balance in your life. The opportunities will come around when you are ready.

Gotcha. I've heard the quarter system isn't too difficult, I just wasn't sure if the same applied for vet med. So that means you start in late September correct ? Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen that you've mentioned winter breaks are 3 or 4 weeks depending on the year ? Is there a spring break as well ?
Of course, answer when you can! I'm sure I'll think of plenty more. :)
This year the schedule is:
Fall Quarter: September 21 - Dec 10
Winter Break
Winter Quarter: Jan 9 - March 17
Spring Break
Spring Quarter: April 3 - June 16
Summer Break
Repeat
The spring quarter dates are approximate. The schedule doesn't look right to me online. But, yeah there is a spring break between winter and spring quarters. Even years and odd years alternate 4 and 3 week winter breaks. This year happens to be 4 weeks, which is super nice, let me tell you!

Also, in spring quarter of first year, there is time built into the schedule to have a mentorship with a local veterinary clinic/hospital. It's for first years only and you can choose from a list of clinics. You go there every single week and spend time there :D The people that did it last year really liked it and formed close bonds with the vets they worked with - turned into summer jobs, etc.

@katashark Thank you again for taking the time to answer all of our questions. We are lucky!

Quick question, is it true the Veterinary School is literally one building (both lectures and hospital) and how big is our vet med campus?

Also, I'm from California and as we may all know rent here is ridiculous. Curious to know how much it is to live in Oregon. Say a one bedroom/one bathroom apt.

Thanks again. We owe you pizza and coffee ❤️

So the main vet building - classrooms, offices, conference rooms and teaching hospital is one big building! It's nice because I don't have to walk out in the really cold rain all the time. First years have a classroom, second years and third years also each have a classroom. The professors come to your classroom. And then there are anatomy labs in the adjacent lab. The lab is super nice. Keep in mind that we are small. The class is less than 60 people currently. So that's magruder hall. There's also Dryden hall which is on the same street. Some vet stuff also goes on there. There's also the veterinary diagnostic laboratory. That's either connected to magruder or super close by. I can't remember. Lol. We also have barns and fields and stuff. We also have teaching herds that are a long walk/short drive away. Vet med campus isn't gigantic but we take up a sizable place on OSU campus as a whole. I like the smaller school. I actually know a lot of professors/clinicians walking through the halls now. Also the teaching hospital and administration/school side are separated by building design. But it's nice because you can just walk through and see different things going on. You mainly spend all your time in Magruder hall. It has everything you need except coffee which is a short walk away.

The rent depends on how close to school you are living. I know some in a one bed/one bath apartment that's pretty close for over $700 a month. I'm in a 3 bedroom/2 bath house with a yard about 10 minutes away for less than $500/month. One person in a 2bd/1bth house pays $450, and another pays $600. It all depends. Also some apartment complexes have various amenities.

Forgot to mention:
there is a nice gym membership included in tuition. I use the gym all the time! It's not that far of a walk from vet med campus. Sometimes people go during lunch. It has a pool, track, weight lifting, basketball, racketball, rock climbing walls, tons of stuff!!!

@katashark we are all very lucky to have you here. Seriously, all that you have said has been truly helpful and has made me excited about next year. I'm still waiting on my IS but I would be so happy to go to Oregon. Who's going to open house in February?

No worries, everyone! Last year we didn't have an active Oregon state student. I also found it super hard to find information on Oregon's website for some reason. I didn't think there was much on there. Also my PM inbox is always open if any of you prefer that :)

Yes thank you!!! And we don't mind if you answer ours questions here--so that you don't have to repeat your answers to us individually So it sounds like overall you are very happy you went with OSU!

I just thought of another question. Sorry @katashark . So as out of state my titution will be roughly 45,000 a year. I consider myself low income and I am first generation student. Do they offer lots of grants or scholarships?

There is more small and large animal stuff than any other field of vet med here! You will have no shortage of opportunities - shelter work, going to rounds, etc. All of the large/small animal stuff is incredibly accessible! I only went off talking about wildlife because somebody asked. Also, the opportunities for small/large animal are plentiful, unlike the wildlife stuff which is less accessible and few/far between. The hospital on campus only sees large/small animals and you can just walk through it sometimes. Also, all of our classes deal mainly with small/large animals, so you will have plenty of time spent studying them! As a first year, you won't work in the hospital, but you can in later years. First year, the school mainly wants you to focus on adjusting to the rigorous program and maintaining a balance in your life. The opportunities will come around when you are ready.

Yay! That's great to hear. :) Thanks so much for your feedback.

Yes thank you!!! And we don't mind if you answer ours questions here--so that you don't have to repeat your answers to us individually So it sounds like overall you are very happy you went with OSU!

I just thought of another question. Sorry @katashark . So as out of state my titution will be roughly 45,000 a year. I consider myself low income and I am first generation student. Do they offer lots of grants or scholarships?

I'm also out of state. Most of my class pays for vet school with federal loans. Most vet students everywhere pay for vet school with federal loans honestly. Choose the cheapest OOS tuition for you or your IS. One of the main reasons I chose OSU is because it was the cheapest OOS tuition and I don't have an IS school. So first years can try for scholarships outside of school. Second and third years have lots of scholarships available at school. Almost every second year gets at least a couple hundred all the way up to a few thousand. I think only a couple didn't this year because they didn't apply. But these scholarships will help, and add to your resume but they will not cover most of tuition. More information will be made available to me next quarter so I can update my answer to your question then.

As a vet student, you should expect to be graduating with significant debt. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. It's a big thing in the veterinary field and there are many threads on sdn about it. You should read them. The debt to income ratio is a major problem.