OT: Fitness

Started by Dsmoody23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I injured my knee this week, but it's better now...

... except I pulled my deltoid in my sleep. Somehow. It is now like 2x bigger than my other one, and everyone has been laughing at me.

I guess I'll just be running this week. 🙁

If it's any consolation, I'm laughing a bit too.
 
i reaaaaally wish i would quit forgetting to log things

man last week's reffing should count for extra - i had to ref by myself for the first half of the game cause my irresponsible partner didn't show up until late 😡
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I finally joined a gym and actually went for the first time last night. Now if I can remember to log everything in Fitocracy....
 
New challenge starts today. I actually have about 40 minutes free per day, this week, so I'm going to make you all drink your own tears.

Also, if anyone is lurking on this thread and still wants to join up, we can send you an invite now, I think.
 
For a beginner who has not taken any classes, should I do...
Zumba
Bootcamp
or Spinning
this week while I am home?
 
Hmmm. I might try it. Just know that my stats will probably be sad compared to everyone else's because I am in physical therapy right now and limited on what I can physically do.
 
For a beginner who has not taken any classes, should I do...
Zumba
Bootcamp
or Spinning
this week while I am home?

SPINNING! But I'm biased 🙂

I will say that the first few times are a bit rough, if it's a good instructor. It will be intense! And after the first several classes your bottom will HURT! But you'll adapt quickly and it will definitely get you into shape, and you may even become addicted, like me.
 
I know it's like a kid's thing to do, but did anyone ever try jumping rope (or whatever you would call it)? I'm extremely lazy by have always loved it. Does anyone think that might help? Should I start it again?
 
I know it's like a kid's thing to do, but did anyone ever try jumping rope (or whatever you would call it)? I'm extremely lazy by have always loved it. Does anyone think that might help? Should I start it again?

Jumping rope is great cardio. Those CrossFit crazies love their double-unders.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A girl on my FB started dieting and exercising literally 3 days ago.
She posted tonight that she lost 2.6 lbs.
I just had to burst her bubble.
I am mean.
 
A girl on my FB started dieting and exercising literally 3 days ago.
She posted tonight that she lost 2.6 lbs.
I just had to burst her bubble.
I am mean.

Hey now, don't discourage people who are trying to make positive life changes! This isn't an exclusive club. 🙂
 
Hey now, don't discourage people who are trying to make positive life changes! This isn't an exclusive club. 🙂

Haha, I told her that I have been working out for over a month and I fluctuate within this range of 7 pounds. I told her that it has only been 3 days and not to get discouraged. She should watch her body, not the scale. And the whole muscle weighs more than fat thing, but makes you look slimmer, blah blah blah.

I got 3 likes and nobody attacked me, so maybe I was not as harsh as I thought. The person who commented underneath me told her to watch her clothes sizes.
 
Fitness vs. Obesity - you decide hah

245446248411618358_jdAD1Fda_c.jpg
 
I've had the wind knocked right out of my sails the past few days and have had ZERO motivation to go to the gym. I went for a 7.74 mile jog on Saturday which was the most I had done in almost a week and felt great, but that seems to have disappeared. I need to get back on the wagon now that I'm running the Broad Street Run in May; but my get up and go got up and went!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better... **sigh** Maybe I'll just head home and play Wii. A little exercise is better than none, right?
 
Ugh. So I've missed like 2.5 weeks of CrossFit classes. I usually try to go like 3x a week but for 1.5 weeks I flat out missed exercising because I was traveling for interviews and then I got laid off so I was trying to spread out my last punch card. I went once last week and again today. I can tell that I'm already slightly out of shape and it upsets me. Kind of scary how fast you lose it.
 
Ugh. So I've missed like 2.5 weeks of CrossFit classes. I usually try to go like 3x a week but for 1.5 weeks I flat out missed exercising because I was traveling for interviews and then I got laid off so I was trying to spread out my last punch card. I went once last week and again today. I can tell that I'm already slightly out of shape and it upsets me. Kind of scary how fast you lose it.
This. Did a weekend interview and three days of eating out with Dad/ not going to the gym because I am the social coordinator. Now back at work, where I usually enjoy my fitness break but with no co-worker (how do they have so much time off to spend?) I can't leave the box. I've gained 2lbs and feel all squishy.

Back to the gym tonight, can't effing wait.
 
OK... NO excuses tonight - I am going to the gym. It doesn't matter that I smell like a mixture of dog butt and rabbit, or that I have monkey pee in my hair, or that I feel totally dead on my feet right now.

Away I go...
 
Finals knocked me on my ass. I haven't exercised since Saturday. 🙁 Thankfully my last final was today, but I think I am too tired for real exercise.

Scb44f and I had some celebratory Culvers today. And tonight we're getting pie with people. Yes, that pie DOES compliment my inactivity. Mmmm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Culver's?!?! **insert Homer Simpson drooling** Oh lord how I miss Culvers.

And I survived the gym. Now, gotta stay ON the wagon!
 
My husband's been out of town at a conference since Tuesday morning. I did go to the gym Tuesday and yesterday, but other than that I have done NOTHING but sit on my butt and catch up on TV. I say "catch up" like there's something I've been missing, but really I'm just catching up on sitting on the couch.

Did I also mention that I hate to cook? I've been eating the same pizza for the last three days, but I think I might muster the energy to make a turkey sandwich for dinner tonight.

Worst part? He won't be back until Sunday. I AM GOING TO BECOME ONE WITH THIS COUCH BY THEN.

Help. 😉
 
Bleh. I can't find the best time for me to eat before working out. You'd think I would know by know since I've done sports since I was 8, but nope. All throughout high school, I always skipped breakfast before morning field hockey pre-season practices for fear of puking. During high school, I never would eat anything major before practice cause lunch was in the afternoon. So now I still can't figure it out. I don't really eat before morning CrossFit classes and often feel like I'm going to be sick. Today I eat like 2.5 hours before the evening class and felt the same way. Maybe I ate too much or it was because I'm not sleeping well and kinda felt off all day, but it's kind of annoying. And the funny thing is, I could eat a lot (like a disturbing amount) before a swim race and be absolutely fine. My coach actually told me once that if I didn't drop my time, I would be in trouble. Luckily I beat my time.
 
Everyone seems to be slacking!

I went to the gym tonight for the first time in one week. I cannot remember the last time I did weights, so I did those tonight.

Last week was our winter break, so I used the gym in my hometown. They don't have the circuit series equipments for newbs, so I was stuck doing cardio. My gym still owes me an "orientation". Hard to take advantage of that when I depend on someone else to drive me places whenever he is free. (Damn you transit strike!)
 
Wisconsin is unusually warm today... so I went for a 25min run!!!! 😀

Feeling sore, but so worth the pain.
 
I have actually been exercising, from 5-7 days a week. I just haven't posted here in awhile. Started logging again on Fitocracy.

Restated C25K. When I was at Mom's house for a few days after Dad died, I went road running and remembered 1) how much I loved it and 2) that I've lost most of my endurance and I need to recondition. I'm stuck on a treadmill while Charlottetown is still coated in 3 feet of snow and 6 inches of ice on the sidewalks, but treadmill is better than nothing. I'm also using the plan to conditon myself to a faster pace, so it's serving two purposes.

I've started doing some more dumbbell work too. I'm trying really hard to build some muscle. I want abs, damn it!
 
So angry. Got through like half the circuit work out. It was a 12 station circuit, and we were doing 3 repeats, so you would go through 3 stations and then go back and repeat those. I was on my second set of stations and on the 2nd time through it, I stepped off the semi tire wrong (we were doing side steps on and off a step) and must have stepped on the inside rim and rolled my ankle. Couldn't do the rest of the circuit. =( Icing it now, but hoping it's not anything too serious.
 
Is there any way somebody could invite me? I can't sign up by myself apparently.. ):

I really need to work out again and I'm hoping this would help..
 
Just signed up and logged my skiing hours. I'm exhausted from it still, so it's gotta count for something! haha More tomorrow! 🙂
 
I started the plan from the New Rules of Lifting for Women (by the way, for any women looking to get into strength training, I can totally recommend this book). Only problem - it requires weighted squats. I'm doing dumbbell squats for now, but pretty soon my hands won't be able to hold the amount of weight I need to challenge my legs, which means going to the *gulp* squat rack. For whatever reason, the squat rack totally intimidates me. I have this conviction that all the guys in the weight room are snickering to themselves. 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tend to not go into the weight room, because it makes me feel really self-conscious and like I don't belong there. You can do it! Show them! Be better than me!
 
Is there any way to log from your phone? I have an iPhone and am wondering if there's an app for that?
 
I started the plan from the New Rules of Lifting for Women (by the way, for any women looking to get into strength training, I can totally recommend this book). Only problem - it requires weighted squats. I'm doing dumbbell squats for now, but pretty soon my hands won't be able to hold the amount of weight I need to challenge my legs, which means going to the *gulp* squat rack. For whatever reason, the squat rack totally intimidates me. I have this conviction that all the guys in the weight room are snickering to themselves. 😳
Oh the squat rack. I hated it for the longest time. New Rules changed that. I hated the deadlift instead. Now I love the squat rack and hate the wait for the ONLY ONE in the gym. The guys are looking but not snickering. Do it right and they will wish they were you. Make sure you go to at least parallel on the squats if not past. Start with good form or it will bite you (see me)

GOOD LUCK and enjoy!!:luck::luck::luck::luck:
 
Is there any way to log from your phone? I have an iPhone and am wondering if there's an app for that?

I have an iPhone and no, there isn't an app. You can open the site in your browser and log, but it's kind of a pain and is *super* buggy because of all the pop-ups and auto-fills the site uses.

Maybe it got better in the last 5 days, though, since the cold I so triumphantly declared gone just moved from my head to my chest and I haven't been able to do anything without wheezing like a 500lb 70 year old grandma with emphysema and a bowling ball on her chest. :barf: