-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
OT: Little embarassing facts about ourselves...
Started by vetme
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My sister thought Paris was in England.. 

My sister thought Paris was in England..![]()
I am not that bad. Unless you categorize believing that the entire eastern boarder of NY (the state I live in) was coastline until you were 16 as "bad." Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 21 and have never had a boyfriend. And this is something that causes me great distress because I tend to think that I'm going to end up an old spinster with no husband. 🙁
What's embarrassing to me (and something I really never tell people because of it) is that I got married at 19. I know some people nowadays get married in their teens and it works out great, but I think it's something that's very uncommon anymore. I'm older than I look so getting up the nerve to tell someone that I'm divorced just doesn't usually happen!
Blah... I wish!🙄I have a (smart!) friend who thought Michigan was very near the west coast, so you aren't alone in the geographically challenged.
I don't really know anything west of Michigan...yeah..
I once called Europe a state....SO will never let me live that down..
I thought Boston was in New York for a long time, and finally someone called me out on it and so I looked it up online, and it turns out that there is a small town in New York by the name of Boston, but it is not the one that everyone talks about😳
NY is a weird state like that. My boyfriend lives in Mexico and my mom teaches in Phoenix (which is bordered by Texas). Ithaca, Syracuse, Rochester etc. are also other cities. People really need to be a bit more creative.
I have an ice-eating compulsion. I LOVE to eat ice, and will drink a glass of ice water just to eat the ice. I also like certain types of ice better than others. Some fast food places have this really awesome ice that is really soft and shaped in little cylinders. It has a gritty texture and it's my favorite. The problem comes in when I'm at a restaurant with people, because someone will inevitably as me a question while I still have a piece of ice in my mouth. Sometimes I try to answer the question with the ice in my mouth, and people can't understand me. Other times, I will just give up and spit the ice back into the cup to answer the question, which people find gross. I can also eat soo much ice that my tongue gets really cold and kind of goes numb, so I slur my words and speak like a bumbling idiot.
You don't have an obsession with Altoids as well, do you? My mom had a phase like that, and then she found out she had a pretty substantial iron deficiency.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278
Isn't that weird? I mean, I believe that you can just like it too, without having any sort of anemia.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278
Isn't that weird? I mean, I believe that you can just like it too, without having any sort of anemia.
You don't have an obsession with Altoids as well, do you? My mom had a phase like that, and then she found out she had a pretty substantial iron deficiency.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278
Isn't that weird? I mean, I believe that you can just like it too, without having any sort of anemia.
The iron deficiency is entirely possible. I don't obssess over Altoids, though I will eat peppermints like a crazy person if there's a bunch in front of me 😳
I also have a deep hatred for wooden Popsicle sticks. The feeling of them rubbing against my teeth is so awful my jaw physically locks up thinking about it. If I ever eat ice cream on a stick I have to put it on a plate and eat it with a spoon. I got made fun of a lot in high school for it.
Also, I have never been able to touch my toes. I don't mean I get a few inches from them, I can barely reach past my knees. (I just stood up and stretched as far as I could and my wrists were just below my patella.) I have relatively long legs but I know I am probably one of the least flexible people on the planet.
Also, I have never been able to touch my toes. I don't mean I get a few inches from them, I can barely reach past my knees. (I just stood up and stretched as far as I could and my wrists were just below my patella.) I have relatively long legs but I know I am probably one of the least flexible people on the planet.
I also have a deep hatred for wooden Popsicle sticks. The feeling of them rubbing against my teeth is so awful my jaw physically locks up thinking about it. If I ever eat ice cream on a stick I have to put it on a plate and eat it with a spoon. I got made fun of a lot in high school for it.
ME TOO! The thought of licking a wooden popsicle stick makes my teeth hurt. I can't stand the texture.
Ooh here's something embarassing. When I was little I had these Lion King stuffed animals (I had a Simba and a Nala), and I would pretend like I was their mother and I would lick them to clean them like a lion would. Now the thought of licking something with the texture of a stuffed animal makes my teeth hurt the same way licking a popsicle stick does. Or if one of my dogs or cats gets a tonail caught in the carpet for a minute...ughhhhhhh.
Also, I have never been able to touch my toes. I don't mean I get a few inches from them, I can barely reach past my knees. (I just stood up and stretched as far as I could and my wrists were just below my patella.) I have relatively long legs but I know I am probably one of the least flexible people on the planet.
Same here... I have freakishly short hamstrings courtesy of my father's side of the family. It was apparent at a very young age that gymnastics was not in my future. 😉
Repetitive noises drive me NUTS-- e.g. ticking of clocks, people tapping on things, chewing noises.... I travel with a set of ear-plugs for that reason (spending the night in a room with a ticking clock is an impossibility and I find it rude to unplug or take the batteries out of someone else's clock-- though I've done it before!)
It's worse than nails on a chalkboard to me...
It's worse than nails on a chalkboard to me...
So, in summary...
Everyone here is either perpetually single, or married at 13 in to their junior high school sweetheart.
We all have pervasive OCD tendencies.
We're all mostly smart, with brief interludes of incredible stupidity.
And, collectively, we reposted those horrible alien ant farm and fountains of wayne videos about 19 times.
Everyone here is either perpetually single, or married at 13 in to their junior high school sweetheart.
We all have pervasive OCD tendencies.
We're all mostly smart, with brief interludes of incredible stupidity.
And, collectively, we reposted those horrible alien ant farm and fountains of wayne videos about 19 times.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here... I have freakishly short hamstrings courtesy of my father's side of the family. It was apparent at a very young age that gymnastics was not in my future. 😉
hahahaha, if you ever want a good laugh ask me to do a cartwheel. I have never been able to do one in my life. I claim it is because I have really low blood pressure and I would pass out if my feet swung above my head
. (Although I really do have low blood pressure. I can't hang upside down for more than 5 seconds without my vision getting blurry and getting a massive headache.)So this is one thing that i actually think is embarrassing, i bite the skin around my fingers
Yeah, I do this too. Gross, isn't it? They bleed, during finals.
Oh thought of one other than my overt clumsiness: I can't stand the feeling of chalk and cotton balls/fluffs. I touch it and can't breathe for a bit. Not sure what the deal is but something about the texture just shuts me down. Hate it. Worst feeling in the world.
I'm still bitter, because the prize was 5 tootsie pops and well, I'm a kick ass (double checks post for spelling errors) speller!
I got ejected from the 1st grade spelling bee for allegedly spelling 'king' wrong. I said "k i n g" but the teacher heard something else and said "no that's wrong" and I'm thinking "no that's right..." and protested to such but to no avail.In junior high, I was ejected from the National Spelling Bee for spelling the wrong word right. (I could've sworn the guy said 'perspiring'...) 😳
I'm still bitter, because the prize was 5 tootsie pops and well, I'm a kick ass (double checks post for spelling errors) speller!
D
deleted266066
.
Last edited by a moderator:
Repetitive noises drive me NUTS-- e.g. ticking of clocks, people tapping on things, chewing noises.... I travel with a set of ear-plugs for that reason (spending the night in a room with a ticking clock is an impossibility and I find it rude to unplug or take the batteries out of someone else's clock-- though I've done it before!)
It's worse than nails on a chalkboard to me...
I can't stand repetitive noises... especially high-pitched or breathing-related noises.
One of my cats snores, and it kind of drives me nuts!

nope, that would be much more preferred over what where I got my name (now to think of it, it's kind of embarrassing). i was named after a cartoon goat that was supposed to go to slaughter because she wasn't producing any milk (though from what I can gather based on the fact that the goat was a little baby, I think that might be because she was never bred. That or it was male. Anyone else see teats on that thing?). Thanks mom.
![]()
Character names are as follows:
Alm-Öhi - old guy
Heidi, Clara, Peter - children
Joseph - dog
All of the above with quasi- swiss german pronunciations.
now... why is the goat the only one with a Japanese name?
To add a hideous song to that (though it gets catchy after a while - admittedly, I karaoke it anytime I see it):
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKi1VlE94A[/YOUTUBE]
Was this made into a Shirley Temple movie... "Heidi"?? If so, I loved it... I watched it all the time at my Mama's house 🙂
I can handle cotton balls just fine (lol) but the idea of having dry ones IN MY MOUTH (also lol, sorry for any innuendo here 😀) makes my skin crawl. Like, post wisdom teeth removal? If I wasn't so jacked up on percoset, I probably would have barfed because of all the cotton/gauze in my mouth. YUCK.
Anyone else in here named after a song? It's pretty odd to hear your name randomly on the radio.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPyk8_onO8[/YOUTUBE]
(I was bored on Youtube... I started out looking for homework stuff, I swear!)
Well, I wasn't named after this, but it didn't stop me from getting it all my life... and never having a clue of what they were talking about til the internet came out...
[ff to 0:32 ;D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BuxOokhV78]
^^ME. My dog doesn't even like sleeping in my room anymore because I poke her awake about 10 times a night to see if she's still alive.🙄I have mild OCD. I have to check at least 5 times to make sure the door is locked before I go to bed. When I am at home alone, I have to make sure my dogs are breathing (numerous times) before I fall asleep.
You guys, my mom does that, but she does it with ME. I know I sleep like I'm dead, but this is why I can't sleep in the same room as her anymore. 🙄
I have issues with words, too. I often totally forget what word I'm trying to say. I have a pretty decent vocabulary from doing a lot of just-for-fun reading (fantasy books use the best words), but you'd never guess from the way I talk. In the middle of a sentence, I'll stop and be like, "That word. What's the word? It's like [this], but not...." Sometimes the other person will get it and give me the word... other times, I'll just forget what I'm saying and move on.
Sometimes, when I'm trying to work out a problem, I have fake conversations in my head with someone I know--a friend, usually, but sometimes my family. I'll say something, I'll imagine what they'd say, and how I'd respond, and so on. I usually get distracted before I solve whatever issue I'm having, but I guess it helps. Or else I wouldn't still do it. Or something.
^ I feel like I could've written this.
The word thing (where you temporarily forget a stupid-easy word) is called Tip of the Tongue Phenomenon. I get it often, and especially in public speaking settings. Great. 🙄
I have daydream conversations with people too, but not for problem solving/advice... It's more when I wish I could say something that I can't, or wasn't able to, etc. Sometimes I get so into it that I start making facial expressions, gestures, mutterings out loud, but I stop if I realize I'm in public. Or if I realize that I'm having negative emotions about a situation that isn't even real lol.
Also, I hate wearing closed toed shoes, like sneaker-type shoes. I wear flip flops whenever possible. And when I drop stuff on the floor (like a pencil or clothes), I like picking it up with my toes instead of bending down to reach it... It grosses some people out. Some would call it lazy; I call it creative. 😛
Blah... I wish!🙄
I don't really know anything west of Michigan...yeah..
I once called Europe a state....SO will never let me live that down..
I once asked what the capital of Africa was 😀
I once asked what the capital of Africa was 😀
This made me lol.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can handle cotton balls just fine (lol) but the idea of having dry ones IN MY MOUTH (also lol, sorry for any innuendo here 😀) makes my skin crawl. Like, post wisdom teeth removal? If I wasn't so jacked up on percoset, I probably would have barfed because of all the cotton/gauze in my mouth. YUCK.
The thought of dry cotton balls in my mouth makes my skin crawl as well. Ewww.
I have daydream conversations with people too, but not for problem solving/advice... It's more when I wish I could say something that I can't, or wasn't able to, etc. Sometimes I get so into it that I start making facial expressions, gestures, mutterings out loud, but I stop if I realize I'm in public. Or if I realize that I'm having negative emotions about a situation that isn't even real lol.
I think people that do this are sometimes great story writers because they see the story in thier head. I can't seem to get it down on paper when I do that but maybe you could try it, dier930🙂
I too have completely imaginery conversations. Usually they are with people that are alive, but I also have them with historical figures. Like Laura Ingles Wilder. You know - like showing her around the ranch and explaining the mystery of cars etc.
sometiems my conversations atually get said outloud. Which is terrible. And embarassing.
I'm actually amazed (and pleased) that so many of the "weird" things I've done my entire life is shared by this crowd. 🙂 obviously being a vet is the right field for me!
This thread could also be labeled: "what I didn't want the adcom to find out about me during the interview." LOL
sometiems my conversations atually get said outloud. Which is terrible. And embarassing.
I'm actually amazed (and pleased) that so many of the "weird" things I've done my entire life is shared by this crowd. 🙂 obviously being a vet is the right field for me!
This thread could also be labeled: "what I didn't want the adcom to find out about me during the interview." LOL
I'm terrified of clowns. When I was little, I would force my my mom to take me home after arriving at birthday parties where clowns were providing entertainment. If I saw a clown today, I would probably start convulsing.
I'm very protective of my car, so much that I scream at anyone that almost sideswipes, fenderbenders, or bumps into my car. It's embarrassing, but I can't help it.
I'm very protective of my car, so much that I scream at anyone that almost sideswipes, fenderbenders, or bumps into my car. It's embarrassing, but I can't help it.
I think people that do this are sometimes great story writers because they see the story in thier head. I can't seem to get it down on paper when I do that but maybe you could try it, dier930🙂
That's really interesting! Makes sense I guess. I've always wanted to write, but usually once I think of a good plot/characters I realize they're essentially from a book I already read. 🙄 lol
Me too... actually both of those. I'm a bit of an introvert, so I sometimes freeze up during actual conversations with other people and sometimes when I'm in the car or something I'll think (speak) a conversation the way I would have rather had it go.
And I love sandals... I'm from California, and my mom didn't make me wear closed toed sneakers unless it was raining or I had to for school. I have owned many pairs of reef sandals, even the guy's ones. (Non-slip!)
The first thing I do when I get home, if I have worn close-toed shoes for some reason (working with radioactivity/ or ethidium bromide, etc) is to take off my shoes and socks and bask in the feeling of my feet being "Free" again.
We are the same person. Except my mom hates the feeling of flip flops (the thing between the toes) so she always dressed me in shoes when I was little. I didn't discover the amazingness that is the flip flop until middle school and I've never looked back. I love my Rainbows. They're expensive but it's a good investment. I've worn them like constantly for the past two years and they're still going strong.
You guys, my mom does that, but she does it with ME. I know I sleep like I'm dead, but this is why I can't sleep in the same room as her anymore. 🙄
My mom used to keep a mirror by my bed so she could stick it under my nose and watch it fog up to make sure I was still alive. I thought it was a very clever trick, and definitely appreciate not being woken up constantly!
I'm always afraid one of my cats died, though. He is a super heavy sleeper and likes to sleep on me or right next to me. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and pick up his head and drop it down without him waking up. It takes a lot of shaking to finally get him to raise it on his own and give me the evil eye.
One time I will never live down, though: I was lifting his head and moving him around trying to wake him up, and he just wouldn't raise it. Really started to panic and woke up my husband and turned on the lights yelling "ATLAS! ATLAS WAKE UP!!! HE'S REALLY DEAD THIS TIME!!!" - only to realize when the lights were on that I had been lifting his butt - not his head 😳 Kind of difficult to wake that end up... Oh and the glare I got from him... Amazing how hard it is to tell the difference between the two ends when you're 90% asleep and it's dark...
But yeah, husband still gives me a hard time about that one...
I do that! I get so into it for a while, it's literally like I'm actually talking to someone else (only not out loud). Then I snap myself out of it. Like--wait, they're not here! Fortunately, I can usually stop myself from getting too wrapped up in it when I'm in public--though I do tend to make weird facial expressions anyway (habit when I'm just thinking about things), I don't start gesturing and things like I do when I'm alone.I have daydream conversations with people too, but not for problem solving/advice... It's more when I wish I could say something that I can't, or wasn't able to, etc. Sometimes I get so into it that I start making facial expressions, gestures, mutterings out loud, but I stop if I realize I'm in public. Or if I realize that I'm having negative emotions about a situation that isn't even real lol.
I do the I-wish-this-conversaion-had-happened-like-this thing, sometimes, but usually I try to forget about my mistakes so I mostly just make up totally random conversations instead.
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who does that.

Also, I'm probably the only person from California who doesn't own a pair of sandals. 😳
I have an ice-eating compulsion. I LOVE to eat ice, and will drink a glass of ice water just to eat the ice. I also like certain types of ice better than others. Some fast food places have this really awesome ice that is really soft and shaped in little cylinders. It has a gritty texture and it's my favorite. The problem comes in when I'm at a restaurant with people, because someone will inevitably as me a question while I still have a piece of ice in my mouth. Sometimes I try to answer the question with the ice in my mouth, and people can't understand me. Other times, I will just give up and spit the ice back into the cup to answer the question, which people find gross. I can also eat soo much ice that my tongue gets really cold and kind of goes numb, so I slur my words and speak like a bumbling idiot.
👍👍👍 I would suck and chew up ice all day if I could! If I make it out to your neck of the woods we'll have to go for a drink. I'm a big fan of the tiny cylinder ice too... Best slushie on the planet!! However, none of my friends have ever found my 'returning' of the ice to the glass as gross. Odd? You bet! But never gross. Although some of my office mates have a tendency to say 'Uh oh, LMMS got a fountain drink - look out!!' 😉 On the rare occasion I chose soda instead of tea, I'll leave a little soda at the bottom of the cup and let it sit for a bit so the ice soaks up a little bit of the flavor. Makes the crunching just a touch more satisfying... Love it!! 😀
I have an ice-eating compulsion. I LOVE to eat ice, and will drink a glass of ice water just to eat the ice. I also like certain types of ice better than others. Some fast food places have this really awesome ice that is really soft and shaped in little cylinders. It has a gritty texture and it's my favorite. The problem comes in when I'm at a restaurant with people, because someone will inevitably as me a question while I still have a piece of ice in my mouth. Sometimes I try to answer the question with the ice in my mouth, and people can't understand me. Other times, I will just give up and spit the ice back into the cup to answer the question, which people find gross. I can also eat soo much ice that my tongue gets really cold and kind of goes numb, so I slur my words and speak like a bumbling idiot.
I used to eat ice all the time too, until I got braces, then I couldn't and haven't enjoyed ice since. I used to get an ice cube each night before bed and eat half and give the other half to the dog, who thought it was some kind of really good treat since I had been eating it
.One embarrassing thing I do is I talk for my pets. It is something that I started when I was younger and it stuck. If the dog looks hungry or something I'll be like hey Ready are you hungry and then I say Ready says yeah girl, I'm hungry. I can carry on whole conversations with the dog. My whole family does that and it is fine at home, but can be embarassing in public. Like my mom and I were shopping and looking at dog food for Ready and without even thinking I go Ready says hey girl, I want the beef stew beneful it looks so good. With people around 😱. My mom pointed out how silly that looks and I started busting up! I have noticed that it happens a lot at the animal clinic. Without even thinking I'll say something like he says he is ready to go out now.
The whole issue is made 10 times worse because I have a different more high pitched voice I use when I am talking for the dog.
And before anyone thinks I am a total nutcase, I talk for the animals, but I don't actually hear them saying anything to me 😀.
I also blush really easily.
I used to eat ice all the time too, until I got braces, then I couldn't and haven't enjoyed ice since. I used to get an ice cube each night before bed and eat half and give the other half to the dog, who thought it was some kind of really good treat since I had been eating it.
One embarrassing thing I do is I talk for my pets. It is something that I started when I was younger and it stuck. If the dog looks hungry or something I'll be like hey Ready are you hungry and then I say Ready says yeah girl, I'm hungry. I can carry on whole conversations with the dog. My whole family does that and it is fine at home, but can be embarassing in public. Like my mom and I were shopping and looking at dog food for Ready and without even thinking I go Ready says hey girl, I want the beef stew beneful it looks so good. With people around 😱. My mom pointed out how silly that looks and I started busting up! I have noticed that it happens a lot at the animal clinic. Without even thinking I'll say something like he says he is ready to go out now.
The whole issue is made 10 times worse because I have a different more high pitched voice I use when I am talking for the dog.
And before anyone thinks I am a total nutcase, I talk for the animals, but I don't actually hear them saying anything to me 😀.
I also blush really easily.
Nah, that's not odd. I have different voices for all 9 dogs and the cat and do it for random animals I meet.
I've already decided that this is who I am and if you don't like it...tough.
Embarrassing...I love to sing, and I'm pretty good, but sometimes I start singing and I don't even realize I am!
Probably the most embarassing thing that I have recently encountered isn't truly embarassing, but it makes for some awkward conversations...
Apparently I look a lot younger than I am. I'm 20 and I guess I don't look it, as the subject comes up a lot. On Thursday, I went to tell my vet that I got into Mizzou. She wasn't there, but her husband (also a vet) was. He was all excited and asked me what dorm I'm going to be in... and I told him that I wasn't... and he looked confused and said "Oh, I thought they made all freshman live on campus."
I was like... uh... "No, I mean I got into vet school. I'm done with my undergrad."
"OOHHHHHHHHH... I forgot. You're how old? Twenty or so? I always forget... you look like a kid."
Thanks.
But the most awkward situation was when my sister joined a new 4-H club, and I took her to her first meeting. All the 15 year old boys were laughing and poking each other and pointing to us. I elbowed my sister and was like "hey... gonna get yourself a man here." We laughed and went on with the meeting.
After the meeting, all the boys came over... to talk to me. I was mortified. To make matters worse, one of the boy's MOTHER came over to talk to me and ask a bunch of questions and tell me all about her 15 year old son: he runs track, just joined FFA, raises steers, going to get his license soon...
Awkward.
Apparently I look a lot younger than I am. I'm 20 and I guess I don't look it, as the subject comes up a lot. On Thursday, I went to tell my vet that I got into Mizzou. She wasn't there, but her husband (also a vet) was. He was all excited and asked me what dorm I'm going to be in... and I told him that I wasn't... and he looked confused and said "Oh, I thought they made all freshman live on campus."
I was like... uh... "No, I mean I got into vet school. I'm done with my undergrad."
"OOHHHHHHHHH... I forgot. You're how old? Twenty or so? I always forget... you look like a kid."
Thanks.
But the most awkward situation was when my sister joined a new 4-H club, and I took her to her first meeting. All the 15 year old boys were laughing and poking each other and pointing to us. I elbowed my sister and was like "hey... gonna get yourself a man here." We laughed and went on with the meeting.
After the meeting, all the boys came over... to talk to me. I was mortified. To make matters worse, one of the boy's MOTHER came over to talk to me and ask a bunch of questions and tell me all about her 15 year old son: he runs track, just joined FFA, raises steers, going to get his license soon...
Awkward.
D
deleted266066
.
Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the most embarassing thing that I have recently encountered isn't truly embarassing, but it makes for some awkward conversations...
Apparently I look a lot younger than I am. I'm 20 and I guess I don't look it, as the subject comes up a lot. On Thursday, I went to tell my vet that I got into Mizzou. She wasn't there, but her husband (also a vet) was. He was all excited and asked me what dorm I'm going to be in... and I told him that I wasn't... and he looked confused and said "Oh, I thought they made all freshman live on campus."
I was like... uh... "No, I mean I got into vet school. I'm done with my undergrad."
"OOHHHHHHHHH... I forgot. You're how old? Twenty or so? I always forget... you look like a kid."
Thanks.
But the most awkward situation was when my sister joined a new 4-H club, and I took her to her first meeting. All the 15 year old boys were laughing and poking each other and pointing to us. I elbowed my sister and was like "hey... gonna get yourself a man here." We laughed and went on with the meeting.
After the meeting, all the boys came over... to talk to me. I was mortified. To make matters worse, one of the boy's MOTHER came over to talk to me and ask a bunch of questions and tell me all about her 15 year old son: he runs track, just joined FFA, raises steers, going to get his license soon...
Awkward.
I get that all the time too! The receptionist at the animal emergency clinic where I work asked what school I go to and was shocked when I said a college (and I'm 24!). He thought I was the same age as him (17, lol).
When I was a post secondary student (going to college in high school), someone seriously asked me when I was going to the library if I was from the school next door. That school goes up to 4th grade 😱. I was like no, actually I go here, I'm a post secondary student so I am a little younger than everyone else but I am 17. She was shocked to find out I was that old. Apparently I looked to be 10 or 11 😕.
Whenever I go with my family to somewhere with a cheaper price for kids (even if the age limit is 12 for the discount) we are still asked 4 adults? and they always look at me like I am younger than 12 or something. I have a younger brother (he's 21) and he is never questioned, just me.
So, yeah, I know how that goes. I have just gotten used to it, it doesn't embarrass me at all anymore.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I get that all the time too! The receptionist at the animal emergency clinic where I work asked what school I go to and was shocked when I said a college (and I'm 24!). He thought I was the same age as him (17, lol).
When I was a post secondary student (going to college in high school), someone seriously asked me when I was going to the library if I was from the school next door. That school goes up to 4th grade 😱. I was like no, actually I go here, I'm a post secondary student so I am a little younger than everyone else but I am 17. She was shocked to find out I was that old. Apparently I looked to be 10 or 11 😕.
Whenever I go with my family to somewhere with a cheaper price for kids (even if the age limit is 12 for the discount) we are still asked 4 adults? and they always look at me like I am younger than 12 or something. I have a younger brother (he's 21) and he is never questioned, just me.
So, yeah, I know how that goes. I have just gotten used to it, it doesn't embarrass me at all anymore.
I am now amused by this. When I was younger, I was always assumed to be older than I was - once, traveling with my mother in Scotland, I was invited to go out pubbing with another girl traveling. I was 13. 😱 Now I get asked what college I'm going to next year. I'm 25. I will relish this as long as it lasts.
I am now amused by this. When I was younger, I was always assumed to be older than I was - once, traveling with my mother in Scotland, I was invited to go out pubbing with another girl traveling. I was 13. 😱 Now I get asked what college I'm going to next year. I'm 25. I will relish this as long as it lasts.
People always think I look older. When I was younger I loved it! When you're 18 and no one questions you about alcohol because they think you're 21+ it's great! But recently people have been thinking that I'm 28/30. I'm only 23! It stopped being fun as soon as I hit 21.
When I was buying school supplies for my freshman year at high school, the guy at the checkout was asking me if I was headed off to Mizzou (I had a Mizzou shirt on). I was like... "um... no... I'm in high school." He said "Oh, a senior, right?"
"uh... freshman..."
But now... people ask when I'm going to graduate. I start explaining to them that I won't graduate, that I'm just heading to vet school without my degree, yadda yadda, and they look incredibly confused and say things like, "wait... you've already graduated high school?"
Geesh. And when I correct them, they qualify it with "Oh, but you'll appreciate this so much when you are 30 or 40!"
"uh... freshman..."
But now... people ask when I'm going to graduate. I start explaining to them that I won't graduate, that I'm just heading to vet school without my degree, yadda yadda, and they look incredibly confused and say things like, "wait... you've already graduated high school?"
Geesh. And when I correct them, they qualify it with "Oh, but you'll appreciate this so much when you are 30 or 40!"
I got carded when I was 21. Thing is I wasn't buying alcohol, wasn't buying rubber cement or sharpies. I was buying a knife sharpener, which required you to be 16. She rung it up, it gave the 'is customer 16?' query, and she didn't do anything so I looked at her and went "wait, I have to prove it?" and she said yah, I didn't look old enough. 🙄
Also got carded once when I was 17. Had to be 18 to buy a bread knife and they would not let me purchase it. I mean...seriously? Who am I gonna kill, the gingerbread man?
Also got carded once when I was 17. Had to be 18 to buy a bread knife and they would not let me purchase it. I mean...seriously? Who am I gonna kill, the gingerbread man?
Also got carded once when I was 17. Had to be 18 to buy a bread knife and they would not let me purchase it. I mean...seriously? Who am I gonna kill, the gingerbread man?
Lol... one time, I was buying a can of Fusion spray paint (AWESOME stuff, btw) and a combination tool/knife thing.
Knife went through... no prob. Spray paint went through... "is customer 18?"
My mom was with me, and she told the lady that it was fine. The lady insisted on me showing her my ID. I was 16. The lady put the can beside her little check reader thing. My mom told her that she would pay for it (my mom was pretty PO'd at this point) and went to swipe her card. The lady told my mom that she couldn't sell it to either of us because she knew that my mom was buying it for me, and it is illegal to purchase spray paint for a minor.
We went and talked to a higher-up over that one.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3K
- Views
- 119K
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 974
- Replies
- 211
- Views
- 8K