OT: Little embarassing facts about ourselves...

Started by vetme
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At a volunteer party for the therapeutic riding center I volunteer at, the director of volunteers mentioned something about how I'm graduating this year. For the next half hour or so (the rest of the time, absically), people were coming up and asking, "Oh, so you're graduating? Where are you going to college?!" "Umm. I'm graduating from college...?" The entire time I've been volunteering there, everyone always thinks I'm like 15 or 16, and the reactions I've gotten when people find out I'm in college were pretty hilarious. :laugh: At first it annoyed me, now it amuses me.
 
Oh thought of one other than my overt clumsiness: I can't stand the feeling of chalk and cotton balls/fluffs. I touch it and can't breathe for a bit. Not sure what the deal is but something about the texture just shuts me down. Hate it. Worst feeling in the world.

I am the same way!! I absolutely completely cannot stand either feeling - it got to the point that in undergrad, when I was forced to write on a chalk board - I would wear a glove - and still got shivers down my spine. Absolutely hate hate hate them both!
 
Lol... one time, I was buying a can of Fusion spray paint (AWESOME stuff, btw) and a combination tool/knife thing.

Knife went through... no prob. Spray paint went through... "is customer 18?"

My mom was with me, and she told the lady that it was fine. The lady insisted on me showing her my ID. I was 16. The lady put the can beside her little check reader thing. My mom told her that she would pay for it (my mom was pretty PO'd at this point) and went to swipe her card. The lady told my mom that she couldn't sell it to either of us because she knew that my mom was buying it for me, and it is illegal to purchase spray paint for a minor.


We went and talked to a higher-up over that one.

Oh that reminds me of when something similar happened to me(and it is an embarrassing fact too!).

I was shopping at walmart and went through the tobacco isle because I was about out of cope. Well I was 29 at the time and the purchase usually goes over smoothly. That day it didn't. The lady looked at me (female & Pregnant :yes I know I'm embarrassed by it) and said, "Is this for YOU?!!!" and I said, YES!!! and she said, " I DON'T believe you, I think your buying this for a minor!"
I stood there and argued with her for about 2 or 3 more minutes and some ugly things were said. The line of ppl behind me started to complain and tell me to just go!:wtf:
#1 it was none of her d**n business if it was for me or not.
#2 she had no right to withhold the product from me because I was not a minor and did not have a minor with me.

Anyway I was a little POed and left all the stuff that was already rung up at the register and just walked off without paying.:meanie: So she had to void all those items out of there (haha). Later that evening I went through her line again with all the same stuff and just had my hubby ask for the cope and pay. She gave me the evil eye the whole time.
BTW I have since quit the tobacco use.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got carded when I was 21. Thing is I wasn't buying alcohol, wasn't buying rubber cement or sharpies. I was buying a knife sharpener, which required you to be 16. She rung it up, it gave the 'is customer 16?' query, and she didn't do anything so I looked at her and went "wait, I have to prove it?" and she said yah, I didn't look old enough. 🙄

Also got carded once when I was 17. Had to be 18 to buy a bread knife and they would not let me purchase it. I mean...seriously? Who am I gonna kill, the gingerbread man?

LoL! I am 22 and recently got carded for buying a rated R movie... The Green Mile. Seriously.
 
LoL! I am 22 and recently got carded for buying a rated R movie... The Green Mile. Seriously.

I'm turning 24 this year. Not only did I get carded trying to buy an R movie a few weeks ago at Wally world, I didn't have my ID on me and they refused to sell it, even though I had my hospital ID that clearly states I am a vet student. I died a little inside.
 
I'm turning 24 this year. Not only did I get carded trying to buy an R movie a few weeks ago at Wally world, I didn't have my ID on me and they refused to sell it, even though I had my hospital ID that clearly states I am a vet student. I died a little inside.

Oh oach.
 
I'm terrified of clowns. When I was little, I would force my my mom to take me home after arriving at birthday parties where clowns were providing entertainment. If I saw a clown today, I would probably start convulsing.

ME TOO!

I have hypervenilated in the presence of a clown and passed out at a rodeo event when a friend thought that it would be funny to have the clown come up and talk to me.

I also love the smell of gasoline. 😍
 
Last edited:
Speaking of random people saying things that are non of their business. Last year, I went to a bookstore to buy my older sister a baby name book and this crotchety old lady behind me goes "YOU'RE NOT GONNA KEEP IT, ARE YOU???"

The first thing that came out of my mouth was "um, it's not mine." to which she went 😱. I think she thought I was being a surrogate or something. She just kept blubbering to herself and the other people in line about kids these days.

First of all, I wouldn't be a teenage preggers. I'd just turned 25 and was pretty well educated. My bf and my combined household income would have been on the pretty well off side of things. Great healthcare, and would have had 2 months of vacation built up plus extra time off for preg leave. I think I was more than capable of having a child in a nice home environ if I wanted to. HOW RUDE!!!

Later that day, I was in an elevator with the lady in the immuno dept next door with whom I've run into once in a while over the last 2 years. She asked me if I was a post-doc or an MD fellow. How did I go from teenager to 30 year old in the span of 3 hrs 😕.
 
The whole "carding for sharp objects" thing confuses me. I didn't even know they did that until I went to buy a saw a few months ago (here in KS) and they had to check my age. The thing that gets me is, in my home state (MA), I was buying all kinds of archery equipment at the age of 14. I don't understand why I could buy projectile weapons as a kid, but at 20 years old they start carding me for common hardware 😕
 
Speaking of random people saying things that are non of their business. Last year, I went to a bookstore to buy my older sister a baby name book and this crotchety old lady behind me goes "YOU'RE NOT GONNA KEEP IT, ARE YOU???"

I don't care if you look 12 and were obviously 8 months pregnant. In what world is it appropriate for some random person in a bookstore to comment on it?? Yikes, who peed in her cornflakes? 😱
 
LoL! I am 22 and recently got carded for buying a rated R movie... The Green Mile. Seriously.

:laugh:

I get carded almost every time I attempt to buy energy drinks. I'm 28. I do not look (to me) like I am under 18. (Seriously, I'm graying, people. I'm not looking to get wasted, I'm just getting too old to pull productive all-nighters sans assistance! 😳) It's been a while since I've caught flack over an R-rated movie, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've looked 18 ever since I was 12 or so. The best part? I'm 26 and still look 18 or so!!!!!!!!

My boyfriend also looks young for his age (he's 29). It's always fun in restraunts...I get carded first....and look astonished....then they card him, even as I comment that he is 3 years my senior.......

The only time I got annoyed was when I was at a wine tasting event this year. I've been in the past with absolutely no problems. they card you at the beginning and give you a bracelet. Once you have a bracelet, all the wineries know you've been carded are legit...etc. At this one winery I had this really b**chy lady that get following me around and asking for my ID and then staring at it, accusing me of faking it etc. Later I saw her doing it to smoe other people too...but ti was really annoying at the time as I tried to remember where I had put my wallet/ID, go back to the car etc.