OT: Little embarassing facts about ourselves...

Started by vetme
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 21 and have never had a boyfriend. And this is something that causes me great distress because I tend to think that I'm going to end up an old spinster with no husband. 🙁
I'm 20 and have never had a boyfriend, either. I've been so caught up in school and work and honestly, I LIKE school and work and wouldn't have changed anything. I've had a few prospective fellows, but they just decide to... disappear on me. Oh well. I am not pursuing them.

My mom is finally over it, I think, but the other day she was reading a historical romance fiction novel and read something to the tune of "She had recently passed her 18th birthday and was now past the convential marrying age." Complete with a very pointed look at me.

And this is kind of weird... I only have one real grandparent left (my mother's mother) but four great-grandparents left. Now, they are all in good health and jolly and all that, but every time I visit them, they ask if I have a boyfriend. Or if I am thinking of marriage yet. Or if I have a young man. And I didn't really understand the whole push, but then my grandmother (mom's mom) told me why:

I am the oldest daughter of the oldest daughter of the oldest daughter of the great-grandmother (who was, incidentally, an oldest daughter). They are waiting for me to get married and have a daughter so we can have a 5-generation oldest-daughter picture.

Yay.
 
I'm 23, and I have been in exactly 1 relationship. Recently faced with the possibility of another relationship, I realized, I don't WANT to be in a relationship and the sheer idea is terrifying. I realized I didn't want to be in one, I just wanted to know that I could be, if I felt like it.

And yes, everyone else is far more interested in my love life than I am. My parents, my riding instructor, my sister... They all seem to believe there's something inherently wrong with me for not wanting to be paired off. Even though they know I'm more of an introverted person and I can only enjoy being with other people in measured doses.
 
My embarrassing fact: I'm straight terrified of bats. Such a tiny little creature but I think they are creepy and terrifying. People tell me that their purpose is to eat bugs, but I'm convinced that their secret agenda is to tangle themselves in your hair and bite you and give you rabies. UGH. I got judged for this hardcore in college because someone in my dorm "thought she might have seen a bat in the stairwell, one time, maybe" and I took the elevator for 3 months.

I worked with fruit and insectivore bats for about a year and half and I was constantly terrified. The insectivore bats were kept in individual cages but the fruit bats were kept in a huge flight cage that you had to walk into while they were flapping around and swooping and get up on a ladder to put up nectar. My heart was racing every single time I had to go in there. There were also cockroaches the size of small ponies, which is where I think I gained my fear of them, scuttling around in the dimly lit room being bombarded by bats. :scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alrighty - getting serious and actually sharing something embarrassing......

I drool.

Anytime I concentrate on anything....I drool.

I make a LOT of spit (one reason I'm 26 with no cavaties, so my dentist says) and even as a little kid my mom said I drooled more than any child she knew of.

The biggest area that this comes up is when I play the fiddle.

Invariably, when I really get into a song, I'll drool on the fiddle. It's gross, and I immediately wipe it off and hope no one saw! LOL. It's also bad when someone hands me their fiddle to play and the whole time I'm like "concentrate - don't drool, concentrate - don't drool..."

🙂
 
Last edited:
I blow on the pages of a book as I'm reading, when I turn to a fresh page. Just something about the texture makes me feel like I need to. It drives my boyfriend BATTY.

I am also a compulsive lock-checker, especially on those occasions I am at home alone. I have nightmares about someone breaking in and my cats getting out and getting lost and hit by cars. This is exacerbated by the memory of having my house broken into on two separate occasions when I was young.
 
:laugh:I take big chunks of my toenails off too while doing that very same thing, and my pinky toe nail is so small that it doesnt take much to rip it off!😳

haaha I do this also!! It doesnt matter how many times I do it and the pain, I continue to rip off the pinky toenail. I'm not the only one!!!!:laugh:

Another embarassing thing is that I LOVE the smell of sour milk. I have no idea why, but I really do like the smell. Is that weird?
 
I'm 23, and I have been in exactly 1 relationship.

I've been in exactly one relationship too, at least only one serious one... and I married him, lol. That has to qualify as dysfunctional to some people, too.

The insectivore bats were kept in individual cages but the fruit bats were kept in a huge flight cage that you had to walk into while they were flapping around and swooping and get up on a ladder to put up nectar.

That sounds so cool! I have no fear of rodents or bugs for whatever reason. Snakes and lizards warrant caution, reasonably so. Birds scare me a fair bit, especially the larger ones with strong beaks... I'm also worried that I would break the bird if I had to restrain it at all. Spiders, however, are absolutely terrifying and I want nothing to do with them. The house I grew up in had a bit of a recluse problem, so I was a bit more terrorized than normal. They loved hiding in my massive stuffed animal collection (and I get creepy crawlies thinking about that). I found one on my mothereffing TOOTHPASTE CUP once. Jeebus.

I make a LOT of spit (one reason I'm 26 with cavaties my dentist says) and even as a little kid my mom said I drooled more than any child she knew of.

I can't say it's never happened to me, and I assume my saliva production is normal. I've never had a cavity... ever. Hm. So if I ever get one and have to face that drill, I'll probably wet myself. And the idea of getting a SHOT in the FACE... I'd rather sort my stuffed animals (see above).
 
Anyone else in here named after a song? It's pretty odd to hear your name randomly on the radio.

While I'm named after a great-grandmother, not a song, most people's only association with my uncommon/old fashioned name is a song. And not a cool song you'd hear on the radio, but an old folk song most everyone knows. And yes, I had to sit in 2nd grade music class while the class sang a song that had my name nearly every line...that was a rough week at recess :laugh:. My dentist as a kid also sang it while he worked on my teeth. I have some weird associations with that song! 😛 I do like my name though 🙂


I also know another Rhiannon named after the Fleetwood Mac song! I've always thought it was a really pretty name.
 
I go by two names, depending on the company (my family's nickname is very similar to my fiance's sister's name, so his family only calls me by my real name). There are two popular songs from the early-mid 2000s that people sing to me, one for my real name and one for my nickname.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4[/YOUTUBE]

and

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDl9ZMfj6aE[/YOUTUBE]

ETA: If your name was clementine, at least you'd have the same name as delicious fruit!
 
I'm 21 and have never had a boyfriend. And this is something that causes me great distress because I tend to think that I'm going to end up an old spinster with no husband. 🙁

Don't feel bad, I am 22 and never had a boyfriend; so I know your worry of growing up and being an old maid.
 
While I'm named after a great-grandmother, not a song, most people's only association with my uncommon/old fashioned name is a song. And not a cool song you'd hear on the radio, but an old folk song most everyone knows. And yes, I had to sit in 2nd grade music class while the class sang a song that had my name nearly every line...that was a rough week at recess :laugh:. My dentist as a kid also sang it while he worked on my teeth. I have some weird associations with that song! 😛 I do like my name though 🙂

Waltzing Matilda? 😀
 
Oh my darlin' oh my darlin' oh my daaaaaaarlin' Clementine...

That's probably not your name, but that would be an annoying one, wouldn't it?


Haha, no I'm not a Clementine. In fact, I don't think I've ever met a Clementine. But it's definitely that type of song, folksy twang and all 😛
 
Okey, doke. Since I'm currently on a partial self induced strike at work 🙂meanie🙂 thought I would catch up on the SDN...

I'm 21 and have never had a boyfriend. And this is something that causes me great distress because I tend to think that I'm going to end up an old spinster with no husband. 🙁

Me, neither. Except it causes my mother a great deal more distress than it causes me. XD She's wanted grandkids since I started puberty.

I'm 20 and have never had a boyfriend, either. I've been so caught up in school and work and honestly, I LIKE school and work and wouldn't have changed anything. I've had a few prospective fellows, but they just decide to... disappear on me. Oh well. I am not pursuing them.

Oh dear, oh dear. I never thought I would ever let this get out, but I think it may help some of you out there. So, drumroll... I'm 36 and have been a SWF for the whole time. This is not an embarrassing fact. Rather, it is simply a fact about you that has you slightly unnerved as it's written in the social gospel that we're all supposed to partner up and procreate. Yes, to be single in your twenties seems like the end of the world; but let me tell you the longer you go the more you realize that it isn't the end (as do those around you - promise). And yes, when you're a bridesmaid for the 9th time and get the 'pity' look it doesn't help. But, I'm actually glad on a regular basis that I don't have a string of boyfriends, breakups, etc... Not to mention that because I'm single, I can pick up and go whenever and wherever I like (within my geriatric cat's jurisdiction of course 😉). Besides, I'm so wound up in work and school that I don't have time to put towards a relationship. I am who I am; and if there is someone out there meant for me, I'll meet him. If not, I'll be pleased as punch to be the crazy cat lady.

As for actual embarrassing things, I talk to myself - you should see the looks I get in the grocery store when trying to deciding what type of cereal to buy aloud! Also, I will have arguments with inanimate objects (doesn't everyone??). However, I look at it this way: As long as the voices in my head keep quiet I should be fine. :laugh:
 
OK, time to show my age...

You do know that this is a Michael Jackson song, correct? Don't get me wrong, I love the AAF's version - they do a brilliant job! Just wanted to be sure that MJ gets his credit. 🙂

[YOUTUBE]CDl9ZMfj6aE[/YOUTUBE]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I go by two names, depending on the company (my family's nickname is very similar to my fiance's sister's name, so his family only calls me by my real name). There are two popular songs from the early-mid 2000s that people sing to me, one for my real name and one for my nickname.

[YOUTUBE]dZLfasMPOU4[/YOUTUBE]

and

[YOUTUBE]CDl9ZMfj6aE[/YOUTUBE]

ETA: If your name was clementine, at least you'd have the same name as delicious fruit!

Is your nickname Smooth Criminal?!?!?!?! If so, I'm super jealous.
(Yeah, I know it's probably "Annie", but I'm still hoping it's Smooth Criminal.)
 
As for actual embarrassing things, I talk to myself - you should see the looks I get in the grocery store when trying to deciding what type of cereal to buy aloud! Also, I will have arguments with inanimate objects (doesn't everyone??). However, I look at it this way: As long as the voices in my head keep quiet I should be fine. :laugh:

One time I was totally singing and dancing in the grocery store aisle because I thought I had the aisle to myself and there was a great guilty pleasure song playing on the radio...some Celine Dion ballad or something...I turned around and yeah, people were laughing. Whatever! They got a free show!
 
OK, time to show my age...

You do know that this is a Michael Jackson song, correct? Don't get me wrong, I love the AAF's version - they do a brilliant job! Just wanted to be sure that MJ gets his credit. 🙂

Yep yep, I know. This is just the version that initiated people singing it to me in class. If any of you haven't seen MJ's version, it's brilliant and you're really missing out!

So I guess I didn't really post anything embarrassing about myself, so here goes. I apparently look upset or mad even when I'm in a really good mood. It's really bad when I'm at the beach or the lake with my SO's family and they all ask him what's wrong with me... They're starting to understand that my face just looks grumpy! 😳

Also, I'm incredibly ticklish... When I was little, my brother and sister would tickle me to death. It got to the point where all they had to do was make a tickling gesture and I'd start cracking up.

I also tend to laugh at things I think are funny, even if the overall picture is sad. My best friend told me that his family's dog was put to sleep last semester, but before saying that he told me that his mom called him, even though he'd already talked to her that day. The way he said it was like he has a limit on how frequently he can talk to people, which is something he would do, so I started laughing... and then he said his dog was put down. He brings it up occasionally. I swear I'm not heartless!
 
Y'all don't want to know how many times the husband and I have been busted for tardo-dancing inthe aisles at Lowe's. They play some of the silliest music. I mean, you play "Electric Avenue" in a store with aisles that big, you're just asking for it.
 
Is your nickname Smooth Criminal?!?!?!?! If so, I'm super jealous.
(Yeah, I know it's probably "Annie", but I'm still hoping it's Smooth Criminal.)

I wish! I wouldn't mind if it became my new nickname. In fact, I think the majority of my nicknames in my lifetime have stemmed from "Annie" and not my real name.
 
That is an awesome song and an awesome name. Don't let anyone ever tell you different.
Agreed, and Stevie Nicks was hot, even with a nose full of coke. Nowadays, she sounds a little like Kermit the Frog, but her old voice was quite haunting.

I do the accent thing too. Living all over the place does that to you. My mom pulls out a Minnesota accent when talking about her grandparents who lived in the northern part of the state. My mom spent the first 34 years of her life in north central Indiana, with occasional trips up north. As for me, I end up reading my British friends' FB posts in the appropriate accent and have been known to drop into an Englishman's mimic of an Irish accent when I'm drinking and telling some jokes. I usually mimic the cadence of an accent, if not the complete pronounciation. Some of our close family friends are Liverpuddlians that have been in the West Midlands for the past 30 years. Great muddling going on there.
 
Soooo scb44f. .... ya we totally have the same name... and were going to the same school!!! If anyone sings that stupid stacys mom song to us we will stand together and resist!!

Awesome!! I've never been in a class with another Stacy/Stacie/Stacey/etc. Although I do have a step-sister named Stacia. 😕 Are you in the facebook group?
 
I can't say it's never happened to me, and I assume my saliva production is normal. I've never had a cavity... ever. Hm. So if I ever get one and have to face that drill, I'll probably wet myself. And the idea of getting a SHOT in the FACE... I'd rather sort my stuffed animals (see above).

EEK - meant that I didn't have ANY cavaties. Forgot that crucial, "no" word. LOL.

I totally agree wtih you. If I had to have any dental work at all done I would probably just pass out and wet myself. I've watched my family get root canals etc. and I just couldn't. Just couldn't.
 
I "catch" my shoes on the ground and nearly trip. It happens a lot. Like, several times a day, regardless of the shoes I wear. It reminds me of something my 16 year old dog with intervertebral disk disease does so sometimes I wonder if I have a problem with my gait (or whatever it's called in humans, LOL).

I also mix up similar sounding words sometimes, even though I know what I'm talking about. Embarrassing, and sometimes frustrating as well. English is my first language, really... I can't be as dumb as I feel... tripping up while walking and speaking...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My parents let my sisters name me. So they chose their favorite character from Full House. My mom didn't know how to spell Michelle (not a common name in Germany), so that's why my name is spelled weird. Not a song, but..

I was named after a character on the show Bewitched-- if I would've been a boy, my name would've been Geoffry (yes- like the Toys R Us Giraffe). Thank God I'm female.

I am also a compulsive lock-checker, especially on those occasions I am at home alone. I have nightmares about someone breaking in and my cats getting out and getting lost and hit by cars. This is exacerbated by the memory of having my house broken into on two separate occasions when I was young.

Yeah... after an extremely traumatic break-in, I'm obsessive about locking doors so I understand this 100%. If I can't recall locking them or even question it (or if my SO cannot matter-of-factly answer "yes" about locking the doors), I have to get out of bed and check them before I can sleep. If I come home to the house being unlocked, I have to physically check every place in the house that is large enough for a person to hide. I've got a few issues...

I have an obsessive habit of cleaning my ears with q-tips. My doctor has repeatedly yelled at me for it, but it's calming for me (and I can't stand the feeling that there's gunk in my ear!)
 
I'm 21 and have never had a boyfriend. And this is something that causes me great distress because I tend to think that I'm going to end up an old spinster with no husband. 🙁

Same, and I'm 21 too.

And I'm terrified of using the erasers on my pencils. I never let people borrow them for this reason.
 
I'm going to be the crazy old dog lady with no husband the way things are going!
And I used to do all those checking things too, esp with my alarm clock and the car door. It was especially bad in high school.. I once ran out in the middle of my gymnastics class... ran a block barefoot in the rain to make sure that my car was locked - which of course it was, but I absolutely needed to check. 😕 Better about all that now, though!

I have an obsessive habit of cleaning my ears with q-tips. My doctor has repeatedly yelled at me for it, but it's calming for me (and I can't stand the feeling that there's gunk in my ear!)

me too! I loved it when I was really young and my parents would clean my ears, and I would always ask them to do it longer and they wouldn't, but they wouldn't let me use the q-tips on my own either! But now I can whenever I want to! 😀
 
I "catch" my shoes on the ground and nearly trip.

I think everyone does that, and by everyone, I mean me. I'm stupidly clumsy. I do the shoe thing, I run into doors, I slip on stairs, fall into holes, fall into the grass when walking on a side walk (can start in the middle and in a few seconds I'll be slipping off the side), fall out of trees, and so on.
 
LOL you guys are hilarious!

OMG! I do this too! I bite the cuticles around my nails and tear them off. I wonder if I made a concentrated effort I could stop this habit? I really should - it doesn't make my fingers look better, I look like an idiot while I do it. I don't think I've actually ever TRIED to seriously quit - but you are right - it's just going to get so much worse in vet school. mmm.....

I, too, bite my cuticles and let me say there's nothing that can stop me when I need to chew. GROSS :barf: How can we stop?!

I'm 21 and have never had a boyfriend. And this is something that causes me great distress because I tend to think that I'm going to end up an old spinster with no husband. 🙁

My boyfriend never had a girlfriend until he met me (we were 23). He's like a bottle of great wine 😍 I appreciate him more than any other guy I've ever dated. Plus, being single will allow you to focus on your studies!!!
 
I think everyone does that, and by everyone, I mean me. I'm stupidly clumsy. I do the shoe thing, I run into doors, I slip on stairs, fall into holes, fall into the grass when walking on a side walk (can start in the middle and in a few seconds I'll be slipping off the side), fall out of trees, and so on.

OMG I do this too. I love running outside, but I look like a ***** because I'll fall off the sidewalk. This is also why I do not run on treadmills. I literally trip over my own feet. I'm the girl that fell down the stairs outside the building on my interview day! 😱 (Thankfully, after my interview was over.)
 
I have stumpy little feet, and if I'm wearing flared or oversized pants, I often fall up the stairs because my feet get stuck in the pants. This does not deter me from wearing them.

I was once flipping channels and caught the "What Not to Wear" people lambasting an outfit I not only own but happened to be wearing at the time.

In junior high, I was ejected from the National Spelling Bee for spelling the wrong word right. (I could've sworn the guy said 'perspiring'...) 😳
 
I like to eat the paper stick after I am finished with the sucker. I also eat the corners of my books when I am reading them (paperback paper is my favorite)😳
 
I have stumpy little feet, and if I'm wearing flared or oversized pants, I often fall up the stairs because my feet get stuck in the pants. This does not deter me from wearing them.

:laugh: Cautionary Tail you are hilarious, but I have done that before😎
 
OMG I do this too. I love running outside, but I look like a ***** because I'll fall off the sidewalk. This is also why I do not run on treadmills. I literally trip over my own feet. I'm the girl that fell down the stairs outside the building on my interview day! 😱 (Thankfully, after my interview was over.)

I was once thrown across the room and into a wall thanks to a treadmill FAIL.

It would have been a lot funnier if my brother hadn't been there to witness it. :laugh:
 
The biggest area that this comes up is when I play the fiddle.

Invariably, when I really get into a song, I'll drool on the fiddle. It's gross, and I immediately wipe it off and hope no one saw! LOL. It's also bad when someone hands me their fiddle to play and the whole time I'm like "concentrate - don't drool, concentrate - don't drool..."

🙂

During my Disgruntled Teenager phase, I scored third row tickets to a Tori Amos show, and I was shocked at how much that woman could drool when she really got into it.
 
Speaking of boyfriends, I've had mine for quite a while now. We call the apartment and/or bed "The Nest". So I'll be on the phone with him and instead of asking "Are you coming over tonight?" sometimes I slip up and say, with other people around, "Are you coming to the nest/nesting tonight?" It's just second nature by now but I feel like such a dork when I slip in public 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Vet Med and scb44f... you know that there are two Tori's in our FB group, right? And I'm Tora, which makes things all the more difficult (I know because I grew up as one half to a Tora+Teri sisterhood). We'll probably have a Teri or a Tara as well, which makes things just too much.
 
Hey Vet Med and scb44f... you know that there are two Tori's in our FB group, right? And I'm Tora, which makes things all the more difficult (I know because I grew up as one half to a Tora+Teri sisterhood). We'll probably have a Teri or a Tara as well, which makes things just too much.

Haha yeah I noticed that. My best girl friend's name is Tori also. Life is so funny sometimes.


ETA: Back to the Q-tips, I dated a guy who was obsessive-compulsive over those things. If he saw them, he had to use them, hence why he kept them hidden at the back of the cabinet below the sink, and not in a drawer or medicine cabinet.
 
If I come home to the house being unlocked, I have to physically check every place in the house that is large enough for a person to hide. I've got a few issues...

I have an obsessive habit of cleaning my ears with q-tips. My doctor has repeatedly yelled at me for it, but it's calming for me (and I can't stand the feeling that there's gunk in my ear!)

We taught our dogs to check the house, for the times that happens. We play hide and seek with them, so they think it's a big game..

Cleaning your ears with a Q-tip is one of life's little pleasures. 🙂
 
I am embarrassingly awful with geography.

Up until I was 17 I thought there were 52 states. Even now I have to think about it for a minute. There are 52.. no... no... 50 states!

I also until a few months ago had no idea what state Pittsburgh was in. I thought about it for a good five minutes before giving up and asking my boyfriend.