This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chichi_syd

Reaction score
I wanted to post in this particular thread because I wanted to get a better understanding and behind the scenes of what a dentist has to deal with in regards to finances, owning a practice (if you have one), being an associate, etc.

Just for a little context, I have been practicing dental hygiene (RDH) for the past 1.5 years and always had my track set up to apply to dental school after some time in the real world (ie: working, traveling, learning about denistry in a clinical setting) I have recently become interested in occupational therapy as I can see how that can correlate to our jobs in dentistry (ie: techniques with brushing teeth, flossing, etc.) and always had my sites on helping those with disablities no matter what field I chose. I have shadowed/worked with dentist and shadowed OT's as well. I love the field of OT so far and would love to pursue it but I feel conflicted because I would feel like I'm throwing everything away the past 7 years of wanting and working on getting into dental school to become a dentist. But then again, I don't want to get to dental school and it be something I'm not wanting anymore. I also intend on continuing to be an RDH throughout my life because I still love dentistry, don't get me wrong. I love both fields but just conflicted...

None of this is about money, it's about self-fulfillment and doing what I love (and I know every career has it's pros and cons and burn out is real no matter what) and just wanted the experience of a dentist and what they thought about dentistry as whole.

Members don't see this ad.

None of this is about money, it's about self-fulfillment and doing what I love (and I know every career has it's pros and cons and burn out is real no matter what) and just wanted the experience of a dentist and what they thought about dentistry as whole.

If you truly feel that way do the OT thing.
It is easy. It has low responsibilities. It is fun and rewarding on a personal level. It is an end unto itself.

Dentistry as a whole is on the down. From a macro perspective, inflation, lower reimbursements and higher debt- the picture doesn’t look pretty.

OT from what I hear will always be in demand and a nice hospital gig will be fulfilling and provide a paycheck that brings in health insurance, stability, and. 8-5 job.

They won’t reach dentistry payouts but at the same time when you factor in debt loads and where dentistry is going- does a dentist really come out ahead? Prob not.

If you can get finish dental school with reasonable debt, then I think it's still worth it. But if you are paying for a degree that will set you back alot- then no. Not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with the career you like the most. It sounds like that is OT in your case. Don’t fall into the sunk cost fallacy - you have to go to a professional school either way - you might as well go to the one you prefer.

Last edited:
I’d be curious what response you would get asking OT this as well. Especially on SDN the grass is always greener elsewhere. Dentistry says should do medicine, medicine says should’ve done dentitsry. Podiatry seems great until you head over to those forums etc.

Long story short, just do which seems most interesting and fulfilling as everyone has suggested here.

I’d be curious what response you would get asking OT this as well. Especially on SDN the grass is always greener elsewhere. Dentistry says should do medicine, medicine says should’ve done dentitsry. Podiatry seems great until you head over to those forums etc.

Long story short, just do which seems most interesting and fulfilling as everyone has suggested here.

Yeah I think I may post in there now that you mention it and see what they think! Thanks! That’s definitely a mindset many people have. I just think the overall factor in most of these healthcare fields is burnout. Too much of anything can become lack luster after a while so I hope I can keep a healthy schedule for myself in anything I do but that’s hard to do when I have to make money to live (especially in these times)

I wanted to post in this particular thread because I wanted to get a better understanding and behind the scenes of what a dentist has to deal with in regards to finances, owning a practice (if you have one), being an associate, etc.

Just for a little context, I have been practicing dental hygiene (RDH) for the past 1.5 years and always had my track set up to apply to dental school after some time in the real world (ie: working, traveling, learning about denistry in a clinical setting) I have recently become interested in occupational therapy as I can see how that can correlate to our jobs in dentistry (ie: techniques with brushing teeth, flossing, etc.) and always had my sites on helping those with disablities no matter what field I chose. I have shadowed/worked with dentist and shadowed OT's as well. I love the field of OT so far and would love to pursue it but I feel conflicted because I would feel like I'm throwing everything away the past 7 years of wanting and working on getting into dental school to become a dentist. But then again, I don't want to get to dental school and it be something I'm not wanting anymore. I also intend on continuing to be an RDH throughout my life because I still love dentistry, don't get me wrong. I love both fields but just conflicted...

My wife is an OT, and I’m in dentistry. You should certainly be an OT. I think occupational therapy is by far the most underrated and under appreciated/overshadowed career and it’s a terrible shame. OTs can pretty much do anything and everything, and we could all benefit from them. The scope is enormous, and the impact they have is unparalleled.

Yeah I think I may post in there now that you mention it and see what they think! Thanks! That’s definitely a mindset many people have. I just think the overall factor in most of these healthcare fields is burnout. Too much of anything can become lack luster after a while so I hope I can keep a healthy schedule for myself in anything I do but that’s hard to do when I have to make money to live (especially in these times)
I agree - there is a burnout factor in all healthcare fields. That's why it's essential to develop strategies for maintaining balance and taking care of yourself since it can be easy to get overwhelmed by the job demands. It's important to remember that while it is necessary to make money, taking time for yourself and your mental health has excellent value too!

Shelby Bean
aiea dentist

Dentistry is better if debt can be undef $200k. OT though - a lot of programs are becoming a 3 year doctoral degree and $100k+ of debt will be common.

You have to look at what you enjoy but the debt to income ratio. I know a new grad OT making $90k per year doing per diem work - so if you can get the debt level under $100k then OT could be good but still I think dentistry is better finically if you can get the debt under $200k - In state school if you have one.

You will eventually not like your job as much as you think you like it now. Doing something everyday for years and going in when you do not want to go it will be what happens. So for me I chose flexibility, debt to income ratio, and lifestyle (not necessarily what I "love" doing because that could change every month based on how I feel).