OT: Who's Your Derby Pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EllieGirl89

Ohio State CVM c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm a giant nerd, and the Kentucky Derby is like Christmas for me. I don't really follow horse racing too much but I love the Derby and make a point to watch it every year. That meant that last year I had to listen to it over my dad's portable radio at a major league baseball game, and the year before that I had to convince my boss at work to let me turn it on the T.V. But this year I have nothing to do allllll Derby Saturday =)

So who's your pick? As a general rule, I root for the ladies. My heart was a little broken the year Eight Bells had her accident, but this year there are no fillies for me to root for-but there is a lady jockey! Pants On Fire is being ridden by Rose Napravnik, who is trying to be the first woman to win the Kentucky Derby. Should be an interesting race tomorrow!
 
I love Pants On Fire too... if not just for the name sake! My other picks are Uncle Mo and Archarcharch. I haven't figured out my whole order yet. Some friends of mine are going to go to an OTB and make a day of it, see if we can make the ponies put money in our pocket 😉
 
I like Archarcharch and Midnight Interlude 🙂 I am jealous of some of my friends as they are going tomorrow to the derby. I have only been to the Belmont when Big Brown was going for the triple crown. I LOVE the derby 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😱 I just read that Uncle Mo was scratched because of his "intestinal infection" thats going to mix things up for me.

I have never been to the derby or any race for that matter 🙁 I would LOVE to go sometime though. Actually I think my friend is going to take me to Arlington mid May, Can't wait!
 
My pick this year is Dialed In, now that Uncle Mo is out. I think he's in the best spot to win it.

I was working in the biz the year of Barbaro. I wasn't AT the Derby that year, but the first article I wrote for the mag was an interview with Barbaro's farrier after his accident. I still love racing, but I don't pay as much attention nowadays.
 
I'm from KY and this is the first year I won't be at the Oaks & Derby b/c I had to move for vet school. It also means I won't get to watch all-day coverage (it doesn't start here until 3). 🙁

Probably a good thing b/c I need to be studying for my last 3 finals. 🙂
 
Great race!! Rosie and Pants On Fire broke exceptionally well and got a good, steady position. She just seemed to run out of horse. Fabulous ride, though, and she placed 9th, better than any woman ever has placed in the Derby! I can't wait to watch her career progress.
 
Great race!! Rosie and Pants On Fire broke exceptionally well and got a good, steady position. She just seemed to run out of horse. Fabulous ride, though, and she placed 9th, better than any woman ever has placed in the Derby! I can't wait to watch her career progress.

She did really good in the Oaks as well, didn't see win?
 
I was at the derby and loved it! I won some money for Mucho Macho Man taking 3rd. But Animal Kingdom... never seen that coming and with the odds and bets I am guessing no one else did either!
 
Lost the Oaks by a nose. Her horse passed the winner about 2 strides after the finish line.

Oh, that is a real bummer!

bre it is nice that you were able to recoop some of your bet, all my ponies decided they needed to take it easy in the derby, I just wish they clued me in before hand.