This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I am an undergrad student in Alabama. I plan to apply to at least 20 med schools (there are four in AL). I am wondering what would be other good ones to apply to out of state that do not give preference to their in state applicants??? I am open to MD and DO suggestions

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Spend less time thinking about where you will go to medical school and how you will pay for it and more time improving your GPA, eventually preparing for the MCAT and doing some research and community service. With a super-high MCAT you may get some merit scholarship money.

After you have taken the MCAT, buy access to MSAR and look at average GPA and MCAT that the OOS-friendly schools admit. There are a ton of private schools that don't care what state you are from. Some want applicants with high stats and some others not so much. Don't put the cart before the horse -- your job right now is to have the best and strongest application you can compile and that means focusing on grades, experiences and MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm also an Alabamian. I applied to the MD schools in Alabama, plus U of South Florida, which accepts a higher number of OOS applicants than a lot of the other state schools in the region. I also applied to several private schools, but I didn't waste my money applying to a lot of OOS schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also an Alabamian. I applied to the MD schools in Alabama, plus U of South Florida, which accepts a higher number of OOS applicants than a lot of the other state schools in the region. I also applied to several private schools, but I didn't waste my money applying to a lot of OOS schools.

did you get any interviews at Alabama med schools?

hi, I am an undergrad student in Alabama. I plan to apply to at least 20 med schools (there are four in AL). I am wondering what would be other good ones to apply to out of state that do not give preference to their in state applicants??? I am open to MD and DO suggestions

thanks.
VCU and U VM are the only two state schools that I know of that admit more OOS than IS.
All other state schools favor the home team.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm applying this cycle. I do have an interview at UAB, but I don't think South has started sending out invites yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm applying this cycle. I do have an interview at UAB, but I don't think South has started sending out invites yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
gotcha. Best of luck!