This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

motivatedbycoffee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today I had the opportunity to shadow a pediatric ortho surgeon and it was really awesome going into the OR but I have been really overwhelmed by the experience. There was a scheduling issue so the surgeon did not know I would be there so I had no introduction to what would be happening during the day and on top of that I had never been into the OR before. Has anyone felt like this after shadowing? Also at the end I was asked if I had any questions and naturally I'm not a question asker so I just blanked! I like to process things before I ask questions but it's been difficult to process. If anyone has any suggestions for questions to ask when shadowing that would be awesome since I am returning to shadow clinicals tomorrow and I told the doctor I would come in with some questions after I decompressed.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on going to the OR! Must have been an awesome experience! Strong work (you'll get this reference shortly)! Did you get to scrub in? Make sure not to lock you knees on the table. Questions would depend on the surgery. What was the patient brought in for? I usually ask questions on why surgery was the option vs alternative treatments. You could also ask about anatomy. They might "pimp" you but because you're an undergrad they'll go easy on you. You're there to explore the career, so don't feel like you need to perform well. Just get a feeling of what you're future might be like if you decide to become a surgeon/orthopedics physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
The deer in the headlights feeling is normal. OrthoTraumaMd's advice is spot on and will help you feel a little less lost. Friendly tip, ask when an appropriate time to ask questions is, or at least be conscious of when the surgeon is preoccupied and doesn't need a distraction.

Neat! I shadowed In the OR a few times and found the CRNAs are willing to let you in the cockpit and love chatting physiology. This gives you a great vantage for viewing the surgery too. Also, I bet he/she thinks it’s fun to have a student, and asking questions at the wrong time is definitely more of an issue than not asking questions!

Last edited:
I got to scrub in for a double bypass during my shadowing. I was so excited that the surgeon had to tell me to relax my shoulders. I couldn’t think of any questions to ask either; I was overwhelmed by the experience. I think the surgeon understood that and enjoyed my excitement. we have to remember that they were in our shoes at one point, so they probably understand.

Reactions: 1 user