Pacific U - Roll Call and Info thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im still waiting for a letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow... we just reached our 1000th post.:D

didnt get a letter yet. Havin a feelin Im gonna get rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have not completed your BS... but you are starting your Pharm D in the fall - how on earth do you get FAFSA to recognize it...

I get an error stating: "In question 24 - you said you had not completed your BS, but in question 49 - you stated you will begin your doctorate program."

Today I worked for 8.5 hours at the pharmacy - then filed my taxes - now FAFSA - how much does today blow???

~above~

Hey Above,

I just filled out my FAFSA on Friday. I tried to get back into my application to see what I did for 24 and 49 (as I won't have a BS either), but since my app. hasn't been officially processed I can't retrieve it yet. Maybe by tomorrow I will have some info for you.

Hey Above,

I just filled out my FAFSA on Friday. I tried to get back into my application to see what I did for 24 and 49 (as I won't have a BS either), but since my app. hasn't been officially processed I can't retrieve it yet. Maybe by tomorrow I will have some info for you.

I have a feeling that I am not supposed to put down that I am starting a graduate/professional program in the Fall - sounds weird, but us Pharmacy students are a strange bunch when it comes to academic progression. Any and all help you could provide would be greatly apprecaited Ammarha :D

on another note...

How impressive is it that this thread has hit 1000 posts? Its been pretty useful this year for disseminating info - hopefully it will assist a fair amount of students in the coming years as well...

~above~

I have a feeling that I am not supposed to put down that I am starting a graduate/professional program in the Fall - sounds weird, but us Pharmacy students are a strange bunch when it comes to academic progression. Any and all help you could provide would be greatly apprecaited Ammarha :D

on another note...

How impressive is it that this thread has hit 1000 posts? Its been pretty useful this year for disseminating info - hopefully it will assist a fair amount of students in the coming years as well...

~above~

I just looked back at all of the notes I took during my interview in Oct. when the financial advisor was telling us what to do for our FAFSA. She said that we need to select "1st year grad student" as our grade level. She also said that for the question "Masters or Doctorate program?", we are to select YES. I am not sure which questions those are on the FAFSA since I can't get back into my application yet. I know that it is important to put our correct grade level and program so we are awarded to correct amount of money.

Also, the cost of attendance budget at Pacific is 50,000. The actual cost of tuition is somewhere around 31,000. We will be awarded 35,000 though the goverment (stafford loans). The 15,000 difference will have to be borrowed as an alternative loan if we need the extra funds for living expenses and stuff like that. There is also the HPSL Loan, but you will need to fill out your parents info on the FAFSA whether regardless if you are in independent student. I think you need to have an EFC of 10,000 of less to qualify for this loan.

FYI...

I just noticed Pacific updated their website, such that faculty now have links explaining their background! This will be helpful for me, so just thought I'd share!

are you going to attend pacific or OSU?

I don't know...and I'm really stressed out about it!!!!

How about you? Where are you accepted/waiting to hear? If you were me, which would you choosE?!

OSU or Pacific? For me that is the million dollar question right now :). I was gone this weekend and just got OSU's acceptance today, which was awesome since today is my birthday :thumbup:. I have some SERIOUS thinking to do, as i've been trying to put off this decision until I knew i'd have to make it for sure. It seems like for everything I like about one school theres something else I like about the other one!

shawr, if we both end up there, I will definately be down to hit the mountain as often as possible!

OSU or Pacific? For me that is the million dollar question right now :). I was gone this weekend and just got OSU's acceptance today, which was awesome since today is my birthday :thumbup:. I have some SERIOUS thinking to do, as i've been trying to put off this decision until I knew i'd have to make it for sure. It seems like for everything I like about one school theres something else I like about the other one!

shawr, if we both end up there, I will definately be down to hit the mountain as often as possible!

Hey congrats!! (BTW you should bump the OSU thread with your update!) Yeah I was the same as you....putting off the decision until I had to make it. Now I'm getting so much feedback both ways. The pro's and con's of each don't leave me with a clear winner...and my husband is pressuring me to decide, but doesn't want to help me debate! That and I lost my voice over the weekend, so I'm at work whispering to all my co-workers...lame.

rxbeaver---We can study while riding Mt hood. Kill two birds with one stone!!!!

haha-just let me know what you decide...I am in the same boat---

Sent my deposit, but still not sure where I am going-Almost positive Pacific

Car? Should I bring mine or not? What is everyone doing??

I think I'm probably going to end up bringing my car. Anyone up for starting a housing/roommate search thread? Trying to cut costs as much as possible =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking to visit Portland on June before I go back to my homecountry for vacation. I am planning to find an apartment around Beaverton. Any suggestion from you guys?

Rani-

I was thinking about living at the Red Lion by the airport. Looking for a roomate--

Cam Cho

In all seriousness, that is a great idea, you should start one up...

Is Beaverton a better place to live? I was hoping to live VERY close to campus - I dont want a long commute in the morning. Right now it takes me nearly 30 minutes to get to class (even though I live 3 miles from campus) - it sucks. The housing inside downtown Hillsboro does seem quite limited though...

any thoughts?

~above~

Actually, it seemed like there were a lot of apartment complexes within a six mile radius of the school and the prices aren't too bad especially if you find a roommate. I think when they send us our packet of information, there is a housing guide in there that lists apartments/condos within 10 miles from the school. If you wanted to just browse the options, they have last year's housin list on the Pacific website. =)

Is Beaverton a better place to live? I was hoping to live VERY close to campus - I dont want a long commute in the morning. Right now it takes me nearly 30 minutes to get to class (even though I live 3 miles from campus) - it sucks. The housing inside downtown Hillsboro does seem quite limited though...

any thoughts?

~above~

I think Beaverton would be considered "nicer." That and its closer to Portland, which to me is a huge plus. The social/cultural life in the 'burbs just doesn't cut it! If I were moving (and didn't have two 90+ lb. dogs), I'd look at one of the many apartment or townhouse complexes located near the MAX line in Beaverton or maybe Hillsboro. MAX is pretty fast...it might be over 30 minute commute, but at least you can study on the train.

As for me, I live deep on the East side of Portland, so I'll be taking the MAX for 90 minutes per day! If I choose P.U. (...stress...)

90 minutes! Well I guess you can get a good amount of studying done, but it would be hell without an mp3 player!

Seth, here is a good link for looking at apts in hillsboro, beaverton and portland.

http://www.aptselector.com/or/55211.html

Beaverton is nicer but right outside hillsboro, there is tanasbourne which some people consider Hillsboro and it is very nice. Lots of restaurants, shopping and parks to run and bike. If you are looking for a night on the town you will be be going to Portland though.

Hey thats a great site! Thanks for the help! How far is the drive from Hillsboro to downtown Portland?

90 minutes! Well I guess you can get a good amount of studying done, but it would be hell without an mp3 player!

Seth, here is a good link for looking at apts in hillsboro, beaverton and portland.

http://www.aptselector.com/or/55211.html

Beaverton is nicer but right outside hillsboro, there is tanasbourne which some people consider Hillsboro and it is very nice. Lots of restaurants, shopping and parks to run and bike. If you are looking for a night on the town you will be be going to Portland though.

I second that! When I lived in Oregon I lived in Beaverton and right outside Hillsboro in the Tanasbourne Terrace Apts. I am going to probably live at Tanasbourne Terrace again. The website for these apts is www.equityapartments.com. The reason I like this company is because they allow dogs and cats, and they let you paint your apartment any color you like. Plus, there is a lot of amenities. What I liked about the Tanasbourne Terrace Apts is that it is right on the bus line. All you have to do is hop the bus and it is only five minutes to get to the MAX station. Then the MAX will take you directly to campus. Also, it is walking distance to a movie theater, shopping and restaurants. In all reality, it's not far from downtown Portland. I drove into Portland all of the time from there.... it's a quick drive (15 min) on HWY 26. I think it's a perfect location. I don't want to spend a whole lot of travel time every day to get to school, but if that isn't an issue, there are plenty of places close to Portland.

I second that! When I lived in Oregon I lived in Beaverton and right outside Hillsboro in the Tanasbourne Terrace Apts. I am going to probably live at Tanasbourne Terrace again. The website for these apts is www.equityapartments.com. The reason I like this company is because they allow dogs and cats, and they let you paint your apartment any color you like. Plus, there is a lot of amenities. What I liked about the Tanasbourne Terrace Apts is that it is right on the bus line. All you have to do is hop the bus and it is only five minutes to get to the MAX station. Then the MAX will take you directly to campus. Also, it is walking distance to a movie theater, shopping and restaurants. In all reality, it's not far from downtown Portland. I drove into Portland all of the time from there.... it's a quick drive (15 min) on HWY 26. I think it's a perfect location. I don't want to spend a whole lot of travel time every day to get to school, but if that isn't an issue, there are plenty of places close to Portland.

YESSS! When I was interviewing, I stayed at Marriott Hotel near the Tanasbourne apt's. I said "If I get into this school, I'd love to live here." It's so nice and a couple blocks from the MAX train. Plus there's that little mall/plaza with all the shops and bars. :) Thanks for the website!

And I know I will sound spoiled but this is my first time truly moving away from home. No access to my friends, family, gf, my dog, etc = I want to live by myself in a NICE ARSE place. I plan to furnish it with nice furniture and a plasma flat screen. So if everything works out, I am inviting every SDN PU student to party the first week. (Errr, wait, a "house warming get together" since parties are soooo undergrad!) :D

So if everything works out, I am inviting every SDN PU student to party the first week. (Errr, wait, a "house warming get together" since parties are soooo undergrad!) :D

Ha - I was planning on doing the same:) Granted I live a bit further from campus...but it would be a great opportunity to learn the Portland freeway system!

That's a great website! Thanks Ammarha!! :)

I'm definitely liking the Tanasbourne area more and more after looking through those apartments online. Thanks for the additional website =)

Wow! Im really getting excited now looking at those apartments. I especially love how the rent is sooo cheap compared to Northern Cal prices! Thanks for the link. :)

YESSS! When I was interviewing, I stayed at Marriott Hotel near the Tanasbourne apt's. I said "If I get into this school, I'd love to live here." It's so nice and a couple blocks from the MAX train. Plus there's that little mall/plaza with all the shops and bars. :) Thanks for the website!

And I know I will sound spoiled but this is my first time truly moving away from home. No access to my friends, family, gf, my dog, etc = I want to live by myself in a NICE ARSE place. I plan to furnish it with nice furniture and a plasma flat screen. So if everything works out, I am inviting every SDN PU student to party the first week. (Errr, wait, a "house warming get together" since parties are soooo undergrad!) :D

Awesome! Yeah, it is definitly a convenient area.... I loved living there. Anyway, when I first moved to Portland I had a hard time finding a place to rent. Portland has somewhat strict requirments for renting (unless you want to live in a dump). A lot of places require employment, and when I first moved there, I didn't have a job. I actually called Equity Apts. concerning the fact I would be a student without employment. They said you can use your financial aid award as employment, and you can also have a co-signer. That isaa pretty cool policy for students. They usually don't allow co-signers, but if you are a student you can have a co-signer. So, for those of you that are moving to Portland alone, this could be a good option for you.

Eddie and Pharm, I can't wait for the get togethers! I can't wait to get to Oregon! Keep us posted Pharm about what your going to do!

My fiance and I thought about finding a small, cheap, one bedroom for a little while until we get settled and he finds employment. But the more we thought about it we decided that comfort is going to be more important. I figure I am going to be real busy with school work, and it would be so much more stressful if we were crammed in a small space. I don't think you sound spoiled at all..... like you said, you will be far from all the comforts of home. It will be important to create your own comfortable space in Oregon. Then that will become home for a while. No worries... I think everything will fall into place. Plus, we already have friends from SDN even before we get there!

I'm gonna have to echo my compatriots... the website is an excellent resource - and Tanasbourne looks pretty nice.

As for the FAFSA - I just needed to read more closely - I answered 24 incorrectly, which made my answer in the latter question prompt an error. I squared it away yesterday - so hopefully I made it for the March 1st deadline.

Did everyone get their FAFSA done? Post up if you have any questions...

Also, I am very interested in a roommate / apartment thread - If your gonna move to a new city - it would be nice to do so with someone that has the same goals as you.

~above~

When we're completing the FAFSA, do we have to put our parents information on their if they are claiming us as a dependent on last years taxes? Also, do we have to have our taxes file (even though there is a "Will File" option on the FAFSA) before they will send us our financial aid packet?

Once I start pharmacy school I will be an independent for this next tax year but for last year my parents are claiming me on their income tax. Not sure what to do or how its going to affect my loan status.

Actually, it seemed like there were a lot of apartment complexes within a six mile radius of the school and the prices aren't too bad especially if you find a roommate. I think when they send us our packet of information, there is a housing guide in there that lists apartments/condos within 10 miles from the school. If you wanted to just browse the options, they have last year's housin list on the Pacific website. =)

Hello,
I have one big advice for the in coming students. I discovered it is good and more economical for the students to rent a home and then split the bill. That is if you are comfortable with that.

For instance, I know one of my classmate who rented a five bedroom three full baths and it was so cheap that you can't believe how much each is paying. Please consider that if you are use to sharing home with others.

If you need more informations on how to go about this, let me know and I will be more than glad to walk you guys through that. By the way, I also live in a home with other students and it makes it easy for us to brain storm together when we study. I stay in Hillsboro and very close to Max line and 7 minutes to school by car. There are some factors you need to consider when you are looking for housing and I will enumarate them below.

a. Finance
b. proximity to school/ will you be driving or will you catch the bus or max
c. Parking will be tight but you can park and ride otherwise you need to get to school early
d. the loaction of the apartment/home as in neigborhood wise.

These are the much that comes to mind and do know that we will do all that is within our reach to smooth your transition.

Thanks

~above~,

may I suggest you contact Jon-Erik right now:)

I wish you all the best..

..this thread has been great!

Pacific is a wonderful school:)

I'm gonna have to echo my compatriots... the website is an excellent resource - and Tanasbourne looks pretty nice.

As for the FAFSA - I just needed to read more closely - I answered 24 incorrectly, which made my answer in the latter question prompt an error. I squared it away yesterday - so hopefully I made it for the March 1st deadline.

Did everyone get their FAFSA done? Post up if you have any questions...

Also, I am very interested in a roommate / apartment thread - If your gonna move to a new city - it would be nice to do so with someone that has the same goals as you.

~above~

Let me know how I can help and I will pass on the info to the ambassador club and we will do our best to smooth your transition.

When we're completing the FAFSA, do we have to put our parents information on their if they are claiming us as a dependent on last years taxes? Also, do we have to have our taxes file (even though there is a "Will File" option on the FAFSA) before they will send us our financial aid packet?

Once I start pharmacy school I will be an independent for this next tax year but for last year my parents are claiming me on their income tax. Not sure what to do or how its going to affect my loan status.

Hey rani... There are a few grants that you are only eligable for if you file your FAFSA with your parents info. That being said - if you are a dependent (and you were last year) you MUST include their info. Tax info is how the Fed's decide what financial support you need.

You can read more about it here:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/p...uide/2005-2006/english/general-dependency.htm

I filled in my parent's info, even though I have been independent for the past 8 years... hahaha - My papa got a great laugh out of it.

As to filing with or without your taxes being complete - You can fill out and submit your FAFSA with estimates of income for 2006. HOWEVER, Pacific will not issue you aid until you have updated and corrected your FAFSA. After you submit your FAFSA - and it is processed - you will receive an email instructing you on how to make corrections if necessary.

It is very important to get your taxes done asap. Earlier in, the earlier done...

I used H&R Block online - less than an hour and it was squared away...

~above~

Any idea on when we get info from Pacific regarding our aid packages? I don't have high hopes (FAFSA came up with an absolutely ridiculous EFC for me), but my aid package might influence my decision as to where I'll attend!

I couldn't get him on the phone... just the answering machine - I think I will give him another call later tonight.

Thanks again G

~above~

He hasn't responded to me yet either so I bet he's out of the office right now.

You are very welcome ~above~ (it was only a matter of time before you became official!)

G

Any idea on when we get info from Pacific regarding our aid packages? I don't have high hopes (FAFSA came up with an absolutely ridiculous EFC for me), but my aid package might influence my decision as to where I'll attend!

I haven't the foggiest... you should be able to call and ask the office crew - I think either Jan or Martha is manning the phone right now, and both are very sweet.

~above~

I haven't the foggiest... you should be able to call and ask the office crew - I think either Jan or Martha is manning the phone right now, and both are very sweet.

~above~

Hi above,
May be I could help. i suggest you call the financial aid office and ask to speak to either
Dianna Hall [email protected]
Associate Director
Financial Aid 503-352-2863
or
John L. Quante [email protected]
Customer Service Coordinator
Financial Aid 503-352-2857

These two people are awesome and John in particular is just awesome and will explain everything better for you.

I hope this helps.

Hey, I just talked to Dianna, and she said we should expect our financial aid packets sometime in April!

I just wanted to send out a thank you to DannyPx for always being so helpful! It is great to have somebody in the program who can offer advice. Thanks again!

Hi above,
May be I could help. i suggest you call the financial aid office and ask to speak to either
Dianna Hall [email protected]
Associate Director
Financial Aid 503-352-2863
or
John L. Quante [email protected]
Customer Service Coordinator
Financial Aid 503-352-2857

These two people are awesome and John in particular is just awesome and will explain everything better for you.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Danny (Kenny) - I didnt get a chance to call - but then Pharm beat me to it any how... I am feeling so excited... I have an organic test tomorrow that I am not ready for - but I am having a hard time concentrating (again!!!)

~above~

Thanks for the info Danny (Kenny) - I didnt get a chance to call - but then Pharm beat me to it any how... I am feeling so excited... I have an organic test tomorrow that I am not ready for - but I am having a hard time concentrating (again!!!)

~above~
Hi Seth,
Hahhahaha.... I also have my o-chem test tommorow! but I am not ready because I can't concentrate at all. What chapters are you in now? :D

Hi Seth,
Hahhahaha.... I also have my o-chem test tommorow! but I am not ready because I can't concentrate at all. What chapters are you in now? :D

Ch17 and 18 ... Playing with Aldes and Keytones... Good times - but the class is so heavily weighted... like 50 is considered a C (max score is still a 100, but no one EVER gets his retrosynthesis)

I am feeling almost Euphoric right now (high on life- not narcs)

~above~

Ch17 and 18 ... Playing with Aldes and Keytones... Good times - but the class is so heavily weighted... like 50 is considered a C (max score is still a 100, but no one EVER gets his retrosynthesis)

I am feeling almost Euphoric right now (high on life- not narcs)

~above~

Wahhhh....my prof is still left behind because we are still dealing with Diels Alder Rxn. Yeahh...it's definitely a hard class!
Anyways, good luck on studying!! :)

Diels Alder was on our last test... man - it got a little crazy - good luck to you too...

~above~

Above,
I know you will do good. Please don't let anxiety get the best part of you. Just study the much you can and then go in for the exam with confidence knowing that you will pass. Will keep you in prayers. God's grace and all the best. By the way, see you in August. Congratulations as I speak by faith and not by sight.

Hi DannyPX,

I know this has been discussed in other postings..but what do you recommend as a current P1 student that we incoming P1 students should focus/review on before school starts (specific to Pacific U) that is. Any thoughts are appreciated. Also, does PU offer health coverage for its students?

Thanks!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.