Part-time Pharmacist and Chemistry lecturer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParticleInBox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to graduate college with a degree in chemistry, and I plan to apply to pharmacy schools this summer.

Question: Is it reasonable to expect that one day I will be able to make money as a (retail) pharmacist part-time, and also teach chemistry at the college level?

Background: My calling in life is to teach. But, I don't want the stress of research so I would have to settle for a low-paying adjunct position. I am interested in pharmacy and have been planning to become a pharmacist for the last five years. I do not expect that being a pharmacist will feel rewarding enough for me personally (nowhere near how great teaching makes me feel). Pharmacy would be an effective way to make money and I enjoy the science behind the field. Is it realistic to do both?

Members don't see this ad.

By the umpteenth time someone asks you for the bathroom key on your first day, then you'll realize you're only a glorified over-edjumacated cashier. There's no enjoying science in retail pharmacy.

Thank you Carol, my point was that I expect I would enjoy learning the science in pharmacy school. I understand that in the daily life of a retail pharmacist there is a negligible presence of science. Which is why I would grow bored of it, and why I am interested in the possibility of also teaching science.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to lecture, you should work on your masters degree. I went to an undergrad that had a 5 years masters degree program in chemisty, but I opted to leave after 4 years with a BS and go to pharmacy school. That came back to haunt me because my friend who lectures math at a community college told me if I had gotten my masters he would have been able to help me get a job lecturing. Pharmacy is a field where doing per diem or part time is very possible. I work with women who have kids and only work 3 days a week or 1-2 days per diem. As far as teaching, I don't know if you can do that part time, but jobs seems open if you look on monster.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to lecture, you should work on your masters degree. I went to an undergrad that had a 5 years masters degree program in chemisty, but I opted to leave after 4 years with a BS and go to pharmacy school. That came back to haunt me because my friend who lectures math at a community college told me if I had gotten my masters he would have been able to help me get a job lecturing. Pharmacy is a field where doing per diem or part time is very possible. I work with women who have kids and only work 3 days a week or 1-2 days per diem. As far as teaching, I don't know if you can do that part time, but jobs seems open if you look on monster.

Thank you sir, that is very helpful!

I'm planning to do this in the future. I teach bio and love teaching. Would love to do this on a part time basis all my life. I find teaching adults to be very rewarding.

But you do need masters to teach as an adjunct everywhere, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Chemistry is one of the best majors. I would recommend getting a masters degree and just going straight for teaching chemistry full-time. Pharmacy is more of a clinical science than a basic science (except for pharmaceutics). If you're looking for a mating of a pharmacy and chemistry, it will likely be in drug development, but a PhD would be more suitable and cheaper, and you'd be doing research, which you don't want. If you want to teach chemistry, teach chemistry. It doesn't sound like there's anything that would really benefit you from pursuing pharmacy,

I am about to graduate college with a degree in chemistry, and I plan to apply to pharmacy schools this summer.

Question: Is it reasonable to expect that one day I will be able to make money as a (retail) pharmacist part-time, and also teach chemistry at the college level?

Background: My calling in life is to teach. But, I don't want the stress of research so I would have to settle for a low-paying adjunct position. I am interested in pharmacy and have been planning to become a pharmacist for the last five years. I do not expect that being a pharmacist will feel rewarding enough for me personally (nowhere near how great teaching makes me feel). Pharmacy would be an effective way to make money and I enjoy the science behind the field. Is it realistic to do both?

If teaching is your passion, and it doesn't have to be teaching Chemistry, then maybe you could consider going into academia. Check out some resources from AACP and maybe get on a committee with them!