PCOM - Atlanta Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i interviewed march 31st and have called and they told me i was on hold and have not gotten a letter yet either even though i was told it was in the mail

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know if they've accepted anybody off the waitlist yet? i

Hi everyone, I just wanted to post that I received an acceptance letter in the mail from GA-PCOM today. It was postmarked 5/1 so hopefully we hear good news from other people soon. I interviewed way back in January (27th) and knew that I was fairly high on the waitlist. Anyways, I just wanted to post my excitement and tell everyone that the letters for waitlist movement have apparently gone out. Good luck and hang in there! :thumbup:

PM me if anyone has questions that I might be able to help with. I understand how nerve racking the waiting game is and am rooting for y'all.

Members don't see this ad :)
n/a

Last edited:
Has anyone from the march 31st interview session gotten a letter for waitlist yet? I was told I'm on hold but havnt received anything

Can anyone give me information about the Post Bacc biomedical program in GA...

I applied and upon acceptance I'm wondering if it is the way to go. Also, if anyone knows how much it costs (ball park) that would be great

Have you sent in your deposit yet? I have recieved an offer for the program but havent heard back from other post bac's and Im just debating on whether or not this program will be the best route. Do you know the class schedule? some programs are at night, some days and what are the required courses?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new here, but not new at the same time... I've been reading the posts. I'm still on the wait list at PCOM-Ga. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how many people are on it? Is it still considered early to be pulled off or am I doomed? Haha...

I know that last year students were pulled off the waitlist up until a few weeks before classes.

so anybody been pulled off the hold list lately? im really curious as to how big this list is and how many people get pulled off. do us "hold listers" stand a chance? any info is appreciated!!!

Have you tried calling? The last time i called the office, i got Buffy and she basically told me to chill out (and not call...). She said that usually about 40 people are on the wait list (altho i dunno how many are on it this year) and that about 20 to 25 are pulled off by the start of classes. Most ppl are pulled off early summer (dunno what "early" is considered), but a few are pulled off mid-summer. That is all i know, and that info is from early April! I haven't heard anything since then :-(

"Most ppl are pulled off early summer (dunno what "early" is considered), but a few are pulled off mid-summer."

People can be pulled off the wait list even the day before Orientation! I know this from personal experience. Don't give up hope! It really can happen!:xf:

Last edited:
well guys, i hope there is hope for us. i talked to admissions today. they are sending out letters to the "hold listers" asking if we'd like to put on the waitlist.

ill be on the waitlist and im anxious for an acceptance. just dont know if iits gonna happen this year!!

how many "waitlisters" of us are there????? and how many do they get through????

do we stand a chance!!????

Members don't see this ad :)
When I talked to them last week they said they will eventually send letters when a wait list is finalized... I guess they got that list! Buffy told me in April that about 40 ppl are on it and about 20 get off. I don't know if that was concerning "holders" or wait listers. :scared:

Has any one who received notice of being put on "hold" gotten any further news of being on the wait list yet? Does any one know when they will send out those letters informing us we're formally on a wait list?

I talked to trena the other day and she said the wait list letters are in the mail. Buddy said that a few months ago so I don't know what to believe. I think I may just work for a year and apply again next year and maybe not even at GAPCOM because the admissions department really pissed me off over the past few months saying letters are in the mail and I have never gotten anything from them

I talked to trena the other day and she said the wait list letters are in the mail. Buddy said that a few months ago so I don't know what to believe. I think I may just work for a year and apply again next year and maybe not even at GAPCOM because the admissions department really pissed me off over the past few months saying letters are in the mail and I have never gotten anything from them

Hi kcopp,

I'm not sure if you know but Buffy does not work at GA-PCOM anymore. I believe she was asked to leave for whatever reason. Anyways, Trena is the head admissions coordinator now (I would think) and their admissions will get better. Don't give up on GA-PCOM! Good luck.

It's very strange how the "letters are in the mail" and have yet to received any thing from them... has any one received ANY THING?!

nothing here...ive been told something was in the mail for over a month...how long does it take for mail to get from Atlanta to Charlotte?...its only a 4 hour drive from one to the other so i cant imagine that it would take more than a week to get the letters their recipients...driving me crazy!!!

When you called PCOM-Ga, did you ask about your status? I know that the main PCOM has already sent out wait list letters out to ppl, I wonder why PCOM-Ga is so incredibly behind.

they said since they switched from the hold list to wait list i was on the wait list but havnt received conformation still

Hello everyone! I was just reading the 2010-CIB's prerequisite chart for PCOM, and i noticed there an "X" mark next to the Biochemistry Lab, and i wonder if it's just a recommended course... thanks

Hello everyone! I was just reading the 2010-CIB's prerequisite chart for PCOM, and i noticed there an "X" mark next to the Biochemistry Lab, and i wonder if it's just a recommended course... thanks

It's definitely not a required course so you don't have to worry about it. It's probably just recommended. Good luck with your application process!

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helevetica]"REQUIREMENTS.
Prior to matriculation each applicant must meet the following admissions requirements:

1. A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Applications from students with at least three years of exceptional undergraduate work will be considered.

2. Eight semester hours each, including two semester hours of laboratory: general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology and physics.

3. Six semester hours of English composition and literature.

4. Each applicant must sit for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT), which is given multiple times each year. Prospective students are urged to take the test as early as possible and certainly not later than August of the year prior to matriculation.. The MCAT must be taken within three years of desired matriculation."

http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_app_process/adm_DO/adm_do.html

i just got the secondary and had a question about letters. i have been out of school for a little and have moved away from there and don't think it will be at all possible to get a committee letter or a dean letter. as for advisor, i never even met the guy, other professors i had or class became my advisors i guess you could say. to date i have 2 LOR's from science faculty, one is the chair of the biology department, another from my lab supervisor, 2 DO letters, and 2 more DO letters in the works. so will not having that committee, dean, or advisor letter really hold me back from competing the secondary? thanks.

i just got the secondary and had a question about letters. i have been out of school for a little and have moved away from there and don't think it will be at all possible to get a committee letter or a dean letter. as for advisor, i never even met the guy, other professors i had or class became my advisors i guess you could say. to date i have 2 LOR's from science faculty, one is the chair of the biology department, another from my lab supervisor, 2 DO letters, and 2 more DO letters in the works. so will not having that committee, dean, or advisor letter really hold me back from competing the secondary? thanks.

From the PCOM website: "For your file to be considered complete, a letter of recommendation must be sent from the premedical committee or premedical advisor of the undergraduate college that granted your Bachelor's degree. If that is not possible, a letter from the Dean or your academic advisor of the same institution may substitute.

So find a professor who'll admit to being your academic advisor.

First of all, congrats on receiving a secondary (I'm almost positive that PCOM screens all of their applicants for secondaries).

I honestly don't think they care too much about that letter specifically. They're more interested in the quality of all of the letters. When I applied last year, I sent in 2 science letters (orgo 2 prof and microbio prof), 1 non science (english prof), 1 DO letter, 2 MD letters (research prof and a mentor from church). I don't think any of them truly fit into the premedical committee, dean, or academic advisor categories. I think the letters you have will suffice. Good luck with everything.

Wait.... The Biomed program has secondary apps???